Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
quiet riot act
Banned

quiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these parts
Default Farve Retired

i mean favre

just heard it on the ticket

rip bob sturm

Last edited by quiet riot act; 03-04-2008 at 09:49 AM.
quiet riot act is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty surprised if that's true. He played great last year, and there's no reason why they can't have another good run with that young team.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
quiet riot act
Banned

quiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these partsquiet riot act is infamous around these parts

ironic that it was after moss re-signed with the pats

going out on a high, i guess
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
quiet riot act
Banned

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=371395
Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i'm more surprised that horse didn't start this thread, than i am that favre retired.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Favre decides to call it a career

The most storied quarterback career in NFL history is coming to a close.

The Green Bay Packers have confirmed a story first reported by FOXSports.com that Brett Favre, the NFL's all-time career passing leader, has decided to retire.

"Brett Favre has informed us of his intention to retire from the Green Bay Packers and the NFL," Packers GM Ted Thompson said in a statement released by the team. "He has had one of the greatest careers in the history of the National Football League, and he is able to walk away from the game on his own terms — not many players are able to do that.

"The Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude. He has given Packers fans 16 years of wonderful memories, a Super Bowl championship among them, that will live on forever. ... The uniqueness of Brett Favre — his personality, charisma and love of the game — undoubtedly will leave him as one of the enduring figures in NFL history."

The team scheduled an afternoon news conference with Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy, and said it was unsure when Favre might address the media.

After flirting with retirement for the last few years, Favre will finally go out on the heels of one of the best seasons of his career.

He led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game after passing for a stunning 4,155 yards, looking very much at times like a younger version of himself. In addition, he threw 28 TDs — including an overtime Hail Mary pass to beat Denver in front of a national audience — and had a 95.7 quarterback rating. He was also voted into the Pro Bowl, but declined to go.

Favre's agent, Bus Cook, said the quarterback told him of his decision Monday night.

"Nobody pushed Brett Favre out the door, but then nobody encouraged him not to go out that door, either," Cook said by phone from his Hattiesburg, Miss., office.

Favre leaves the game as the all-time leader in wins, passing yards, touchdowns and consecutive games started by a quarterback. A three-time MVP, the southern swashbuckler won fans over with his carefree style that epitomized the "gunslinger" moniker and made fans out of everyone from the guy next door to those already enshrined in Canton.

If in fact Favre does not have a change of heart, his final pass of a Hall of Fame Career was an interception by the Giants' Corey Webster, setting up New York's overtime win in the NFC title game.

For the last few years, the question of whether or not Favre was going to retire has been the most debated topic during the off-season. Two years ago he let his decision linger as reports both that he was returning and that he was retiring emerged. In fact, at one point he was supposedly going to announce his retirement at his charity golf tournament. Of course, those reports ultimately proved to be false.

After his final game of the 2006 season, a tearing and emotional Favre appeared on national TV and seemed to be bidding the game adieu. But once again, he had a change of heart and came back for what proved to be one heck of a final hurrah.

This time, Favre appears to have made his final decision. However, like in the past, Favre could wake up any day now and decide to change his mind, although that doesn't seem likely at this point.

The team will now shift to Aaron Rodgers, a former first-round pick, who has had few opportunities to play since being selected with the 24th overall pick in the 2005 draft. But when Favre was injured in a Thursday night game against Dallas this past season, Rodgers looked pretty good in relief. The former Cal star completed 18 of 26 passes for 201 yards and a touchdown — the first of his career — and nearly rallied the Packers to the win.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Time for manning to start chasing those records.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Time for manning to start chasing those records.
Eli?

Last edited by Underdog; 03-04-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #9
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

My boyhood hero rides off into the sunset, cue sad music and me crying.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, crybaby.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

I can't believe some people in the media are ripping on him for crying in his press conference. It's not like he was pulling a TO, I think it's okay to be emotional when retiring from a 17 season career...
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:45 AM   #12
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

NO LOVRE FOR FAVRE
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

I Hate Brett Favre. My two sons hate Brett Favre. My five siblings, their dozen offspring, and my two parents hate Brett Favre. A thoughtful remembrance:

I Hate Brett Favre.

I know we’re not supposed to voice that truth right now. I know that since the Green Bay Packers’ QB announced his retirement on Tuesday – destined for a life, no doubt, of guiding aged southern belles across the dusty streets of Kiln, playing whiffleball with No. 4-clad neighborkids and single-handedly discovering a cure for acid reflux -- we’re supposed to curtsey, genuflect and kiss his rings.

Oh, he only owns one kissable ring? Gosh, to slog through all the treacly reviews, you’d think the NFL was about to transfer the name of the Super Bowl trophy from one Wisconsin legend to an heir.

Yes, the NFL should now reward its annual champion with “The Brett Favre Trophy.’’

They wouldn’t even have to change it much. You know how “The Vince Lombardi Trophy’’ features that familiar silver football atop a pyramid-shaped stand? New trophy, same ball, only Favre will be included, throwing the familiar silver football foolishly behind his back or somesuch.

Admirers everywhere are distraught. I hear ESPN’s Chris Berman is driving madly across the Canadian border to secure some 222s. (“He could go all the way!’’) Sources say John Madden is behind the wheel as well, his Maddencruiser careening along the highway, with Terry Bradshaw alongside, the TV duo holding hands, determinedly searching for their own “Thelma and Louise’’-like cliff.

I suppose this would be an opportune time to point out that I and my family hail from Minnesota. (Which I long ago re-named “Land of 10,000 Reasons To Hate Brett Favre.’’) So I Hate Brett Favre not only because of his over-styled George Michael stubble, designed to make him appear “accidentally rugged’’ but rather an idea almost certainly cooked up by some marketing foof from Wrangler. And I Hate Brett Favre not only because of the way he skirted the NFL’s substance-abuse policy, Paul Tagliabue tsk-tsk’ing booze and pills with one hand while using the other hand to all-but-help Brett cannonball his Bud Light and Vicodin at a league-sponsored gala with the other. (“Cannonball back!’’) And I Hate Brett Favre not because, with virtually no exception, he had been elevated to God-like status by fawning media members who, I guess, are flattered by Brett’s willingness to be interviewed by them.

I Hate Brett Favre because I am from Minnesota. And if I have to explain further. … well, it’s a Vikings thing. You wouldn’t understand.

Was Brett Favre a special performer? Of course. In fact, in this era – and I’ll try to practice some objectivity here -- he was obviously inferior to John Elway, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Dan Marino and Peyton Manning. He was in a class with Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Jim Kelly, Donovan McNabb, Randall Cunningham and Phil Simms.

That makes him one of the 12 best quarterbacks of this era. Hey, that’s pretty good!

So why is he considered something “different’’? You can say small-town Green Bay itself is the “difference.’’ You can say there is the “gunslinger’’ crap. (And the haunting consideration of how truly great Favre might’ve been had he been less a gunslinger and therefore more … great.) There is the ironman thing and the passing-records thing and there was that one Super Bowl victory.

But. … if Brett Favre is the grandest thing since sliced cheese. … shouldn’t he have won more than one Super Bowl? Could at least some of the accolades be the result of his career being covered less by reporters and analysts and more by enablers and sycophants?

I’ll tell you my theory: Long ago, his personality, accessibility, romanticism, scruffy beard, whatever, won over some key and powerful voices in sports media. The Packers games were usually telecast on CBS and then on FOX. For the bulk of his career, the two most powerful voices on those networks were Bradshaw and Madden.

And by gosh, wouldn’t you know it. … Bradshaw and Madden become “Favre Guys.’’

Now, I’m not questioning their sincerity. I know Bradshaw a little bit, and he’s a heck of a guy; his Southern-fried background makes his kinship with Brett a natural. And Madden? He just loves this sport so much that he falls in love with people who love it, too.

Along comes ESPN. And the No. 1 voice at that network, Berman, he becomes a “Favre Guy.’’ And the final piece of the pre-internet puzzle: Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, who upon the big announcement described himself as a “Favrophile.’’

You got Madden, Bradshaw, Berman and King on your side. So through all the Bud Light and the Vicodin and the stutter-step retirements and the only-OK performances and the interceptions and the zany decisions. …

Well, you got Madden, Bradshaw, Berman and King on your side.

I love Peter, but check out his retirement-day entry from SI.com:

I'll relate one story from late last season that I think says much about why Favre made the choice he made this week. Two nights before the Packers played Seattle in a playoff game, I was in Favre's home and the doorbell rang. News had broken that day that Favre had decided to come back for the 2008 season, but he denied that to me, and told everyone that all he said was that he was enjoying the game and his team this year. He hadn't determined his fate for 2008 and wouldn't until sometime after the season.

But now, a Green Bay TV station was at the door asking for comment on the story, and Favre's wife, Deanna, politely shooed them away. The look on Favre's face said: “Does it never end?’’

Do I need to guide you to between the lines? Peter King expressed distain regarding the nosy media despite the fact that PETER KING – A NOSY MEDIA MEMBER – WAS SITTING IN BRETT’S LIVING ROOM!! Peter had CHANGED SIDES!!

They all changed sides. They were all on HIS side. This Favre Lovre is part of what drove me to decide that I Hate Brett Favre.

The tributes are everywhere. Like all the Favre passes thrown too hard and too high and into the hands of the wrong team, they are almost infinite. Tony Romo had to issue a statement. (At least he is a kid from Wisconsin.) But Lance Armstrong issued one, too. I’m waiting to hear Randy, Paula and Simon check in.

Ah, the tall tales. … Remember the time crazy Brett goosed Bradshaw? Remember the time silly Brett made fun of Holmgren’s moustache? Remember the time goofy Brett tee-peed a kid’s house, gave another dude a swirlee and ended up puking at the prom!?

From King: “Favre loved being just a guy.’’

Um, if Brett Favre really simply “loved being just a guy,’’ why – rather than treat him like a combo of Hercules, Gulliver and Paul Bunyan. … and hell, throw some Babe The Blue Ox in there, too – didn’t we simply treat him like “just a guy’’? Or at least “just a guy’’ who was inferior to Elway, Montana, Brady, Marino and Manning, and somewhere between Young and Cunningham?

When I read King’s dispatch, and the dateline on it read, “BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan’’? I had no idea Peter was writing while on a USO/NFL Tour visiting troops in Afghanistan. I mean, I didn’t know “BISHKEK’’ was an actually place. I figured Peter was so emotionally destroyed by the far-away announcement that he was randomly pounding on his keyboard. …

BISHSONOFADAMN%#&Y, Kyrgl@lstandamnit!

See, everybody loves Brett Favre. To the point of ridiculousness, to the point of blindness, to the point where no loss was ever his fault, and to the detriment of my Vikings.

Therefore. …

I Hate Brett Favre.

But I am going to miss him. A little tiny bit.

954am march 7 2008

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

He should be, look how old is he:
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

that photo is taken like during the game. of course he looks like hell.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #15
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
SOURCE
Source: Favre has 'itch' to ditch retirement, report to camp

With his family "tugging" on him to play, Brett Favre has an "itch" to come out of retirement and report to training camp with the Green Bay Packers later this month, according to sources close to the team and player.

Favre has communicated his potential desire to coach Mike McCarthy but talks have not advanced to a substantive stage, a Packers source said.

The source said the Packers would be reluctant to open the door for Favre because "Brett retired for the right reasons, even though I know his family is tugging on him [to play]."

Another source conceded Favre was "getting the itch" to play football in 2008.

However, Favre's agent downplayed the likelihood that the quarterback could un-retire or that he was prepared to report to camp July 28.

"As far as I know, right now, Brett Favre is retired and until he tells me something different, that's what it is," James "Bus" Cook, Favre's agent, said.

Favre was unavailable for comment. A Packers spokesman said that McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson were on vacation.

Favre has two years remaining on his contract at an average of about $12.5 million per season. His salary is not currently counting toward the salary cap because the Packers placed him on the reserve-retired list.

If Favre decides that he absolutely wants to play this season, the Packers could be confronted with a sensitive issue. The entire offseason has been spent preparing Aaron Rodgers to play quarterback to the point where "the offensive scheme has evolved" and, psychologically, closing the door on Favre's legendary 17-year career.

If the Packers resist a stronger push by Favre to return, sources speculate that the quarterback could press the team to release him from his contract so that he could seek a job with another team. A league official said that Favre could force a decision by asking the Packers, in writing, to reinstate him to active status. The team would have to comply or release him.

"That's speculation and I wouldn't go there," a team source said. "We value Brett's legacy, we think he values it, and we'd want to protect that. Brett's a high-quality person and he's not going to push it that far. He'll do the right thing [and stay retired]. This was almost predictable, the idea that Brett would get the itch to play as we get closer to the season."

In an interview done with ESPN around the time Favre retired in early March, McCarthy predicted Favre "will have an itch to come back. I saw Joe Montana go through it, even though I was a younger coach in Kansas City at the time."

McCarthy said it was Favre who convinced the coach that retirement was the "right thing to do."

"I tried to talk him out of retirement," McCarthy said back in March. "Tom Clements [Green Bay's quarterbacks coach] and I were trying to sell him on the concept that he could still play at a high level with 80-to-85 percent of the commitment he had last year. Brett thought that maybe he could do it but he reasoned that when you cut back the commitment, you open yourself up to injury, to not being on top of your game -- which was very important to Brett -- and letting the team down in the process.

"Really, what Brett did was very honorable because the stress and pressure he feels is a direct result of the standard he sets for himself."
Sorry Brett, even a comeback from you will not stop the mighty Cowboys.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

He must annoy his family "go play Brett, who cares if you're old as hell and worn out. GET OUTTA HERE AND GO PLAY!!:
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #17
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Family wants some more $$$

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #18
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I really do feel for Aaron Rodgers. That kid has been living in his shadow for a few years and just can't get away from it.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #19
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

This man needs to move on with his life. Wrangler jeans commercials not enough for him?

Contact Me
Old 07-11-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Favre Wants Return, Release From Packers
Soon to be ex-Packer?
by Bill Barnwell

July 11, 2008 - In a followup to previous reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre would consider returning to the league, Favre has reportedly told Packers GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy that he wants to return to the league, and has asked for his unconditional release to move onto another team.

The shocking news is being reported by ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The Madden NFL 09 Cover Athlete is currently on the Retired list, but his $13 million salary would be prohibitive for the Packers to release without any sort of compensation. Reportedly, Favre does not want to be traded in order for him to be able to choose the team he wants to play for.

Stay tuned for more details on a potential Favre return.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #21
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

What Stephen A. said about Brett Favre.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me how you really feel, Stephen A. Smith....
Old 07-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #23
Underdog

FAVRE SIGNS WITH NEW ENGLAND!?!?!

Last edited by Underdog; 07-13-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #24
BGMaverick9
Guru

too obvious Underdog...more subtle!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
too obvious Underdog...more subtle!
Subtle as a rhino in heat...

Old 07-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Farve retired
It's Fahhhhhvvv, not Farv!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #27
Underdog

Fav-ra

Last edited by Underdog; 07-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #28
Underdog

Default BIGGEST DOUCHE EVER???

This is the shadiest method I've ever seen anyone employ to get out of a contract:

Quote:
Favre: I don't feel welcome in Green Bay

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Brett Favre finally is speaking for himself: He wants to play but doesn't feel welcome in Green Bay, so he's asking to be released.

The quarterback's first substantial comments on his latest retirement decision reversal come in an interview with Fox News on "On the Record with Greta Van Susteren."

"I am guilty of retiring early and there is a reason for that," Favre said, according to an excerpt provided to The Associated Press before the Monday night broadcast. "And the major issue is 'Why did he retire?,' and 'He asked for a release because he doesn't want to play in Green Bay.' That's not true. And I hope people are hearing this and saying 'OK, that clears it up."'

According to Van Susteren, who spoke to the AP by telephone Monday afternoon, Favre said he was "never fully committed" to retiring and felt pressured by the Packers to make a decision, a notion Packers general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy tried to dispel in an interview with the AP on Saturday.

"Ted always wanted Brett back," McCarthy said. "We always wanted Brett back."

Favre told Fox he understands that the Packers want to move on — but if they're doing so, they should let him go.

"Them moving on does not bother me," Favre said. "It doesn't. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I'm thinking about playing again."

Van Susteren — who is from Appleton, Wis., is a Packers shareholder and previously had interviewed Favre and his wife, Deanna — said Favre made it clear he would not return to the Packers if he wasn't the starter. And while Favre said the Packers asked him for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade, he wants to be released to make sure he ends up on a competitive club.

Thompson said the team wasn't going to release Favre, but he could come back in a "different role than he was" because the team is committed to going forward with Aaron Rodgers.

Thompson and McCarthy wouldn't discuss the possibility of trading Favre and said they hadn't received any trade inquiries as of Saturday.

Thompson and McCarthy gave AP a detailed description of their dealings with Favre throughout the offseason, including an episode a few weeks after Favre's retirement where the two were prepared to fly to Mississippi to seal the deal on a Favre comeback — only to have the quarterback change his mind again.

In the interview, Favre said the Packers were being dishonest, although the excerpt provided to AP did not offer specific instances Favre was challenging.

"If you move on, you tell me one thing, don't come back and tell the public ... just say it, 'You know, we've moved on and we'll work with Brett on whatever it is,"' Favre said. "Don't make up a lot of stuff or give half of the truth."

McCarthy and Thompson also expressed concern Saturday that Favre spent most of the offseason questioning whether he still had the commitment to play football. But Favre told Fox News it wasn't going to be an issue.

"If I'm going to play it's going to be 100 percent commitment," Favre said.

Favre's interview — which was receiving top billing over an interview with presidential candidate John McCain in promos for Van Susteren's show that aired during the day Monday — is the latest development in what is looking more and more like an irreparable schism between one of the NFL's most storied franchises and perhaps its most beloved quarterback.

Thompson called the situation "gut-wrenching" Saturday.

"I mean, it hurts," he said. "I'm not talking about physically hurting, but the sensitivity. We understand where the fans are coming from. This is a hot-button issue that surpasses anything I've ever gone through."

Boo-hoo, Brett! Green Bay's heart bleeds for you (through the knife wound in their back...)

Last edited by Underdog; 07-15-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #29
MavsX
Diamond Member

farva ?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #30
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

"Every time I try to leave, they pull me back in!!"

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #31
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Favre to be reinstated, report to Packers Monday
Source: SI

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- Brett Favre will be reinstated and added to the Green Bay Packers' active roster Monday.

The NFL announced the move Sunday. Commissioner Roger Goodell had held off on granting Favre's request for reinstatement for nearly a week. He hoped Favre and the team could resolve their standoff. By reinstating Favre, Goodell is following through on a recent promise to force action.

The reinstatement will become effective at noon on Monday.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #32
BGMaverick9
Guru

Favre looks like he's going to the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #33
alby
Guru

Sucks because I was going to sell my Bucs tickets for some serious $$$.

Contact Me
Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #34
ty
Diamond Member

Favre vs. Pennington

Old 08-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #35
alby
Guru

Pennington is the back up right off the bat, sir.

Contact Me
Old 08-07-2008, 12:17 AM   #36
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Why would he agree to that?

I hope the Jets somehow flip him to the Vikings.

This is a total let down after all of that drama.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #37
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Pennington is released.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #38
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I still can't fathom it. Are the Jets supposed to be any good? What weapons do they have?

Why would you want to play against the Patriots twice a year?

Wouldn't you rather play in the Bucs division? In the Florida sun?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #39
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I still can't fathom it. Are the Jets supposed to be any good? What weapons do they have?

Why would you want to play against the Patriots twice a year?

Wouldn't you rather play in the Bucs division? In the Florida sun?
He did. By all accounts the Jets were his last choice.

Basically the Packers stood firm and Favre caved.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #40
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

I hope Rodgers is a bust. Or I hope Green Bay is nuked. Either one.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
got a bit fluffy in here