Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-26-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Sources: Larry Brown stepping down as 76ers coach
05/26/2003

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - Larry Brown will step down as coach of the Philadelphia 76ers after six seasons, two team sources said Monday.

The team called an afternoon news conference, but would not say if Brown is leaving.

Brown reportedly is a candidate for coaching vacancies in Cleveland and Houston.

The sources, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity, would not give Brown's reason for the move.

Brown had two years remaining on a contract that paid him $6 million per season. The contract prohibits him from coaching another NBA team if he leaves prematurely, a clause that would have to be waived by the team for him to take another NBA job.

Brown's job with the Sixers was his longest tenure with any team in his 31-year coaching career. He led the team to the playoffs five straight years, including the 2001 NBA Finals, and is to coach the 2004 U.S. Olympic men's basketball team.

The 62-year-old Brown had been contemplating stepping down since Philadelphia lost its second-round playoff series to the Detroit Pistons in six games. The Sixers overcame a mediocre start, won 23 of their final 33 games and finished 48-34 this season.

But after beating New Orleans in six games in the first round, the Sixers couldn't get past the top-seeded Pistons, losing twice in overtime and once on a last-second shot that was goaltended.

LeBron James, expected to go to the Cavaliers with the top pick in the NBA draft on June 26, said he would be happy if Brown ended up in Cleveland.

"I think Larry Brown is a great teacher if we can get him," J ames said during an interview at halftime of TNT's broadcast of the San Antonio-Dallas playoff game Sunday night. "I consider myself a student of the game, so Larry Brown would be great."

Brown came to Philadelphia in 1997, taking over a perennial loser that hadn't been to the playoffs since 1991. With help from then-president Pat Croce, Brown turned the Sixers from a laughingstock franchise into one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.

In 2000-01, Brown led the Sixers to a 56-26 record and first place in the East. Philadelphia advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time in 18 years, before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games.

Brown won the NBA's Coach of the Year honors that season, the only time he ever won the award. Brown was Coach of the Year in the ABA three times in four seasons.

Brown has had a turbulent time in Philadelphia. He had a contentious relationship with Allen Iverson, but the two worked together despite several disputes.

At one point, the All-Star guard nearly was traded. A few times, Brown came close to leaving, and once had to be talked out of quitting by Croce and general manager Billy King.

Brown twice considered the possibility of returning to coach his alma mater, North Carolina. He interviewed for the job in 2000, but didn't get a call when the Tar Heels were looking for a replacement for Matt Doherty in April.

During the series against Detroit, Brown said in a television interview that he would've taken the North Carolina job this time had Dean Smith, his former coach and mentor, asked him to return.

The Hall of Fame coach has compiled a record of 879-685 in the NBA, and 1,285-853 overall, including ABA and college. Brown won an NCAA national championship with Kansas in 1988. He became the first coach to take six NBA teams to the playoffs when the Sixers made it in 1999.

The Sixers were 255-205 under Brown, and 26-30 in the playoffs.

Brown has had winning records in 27 of his 31 seasons as a head coach on the professional and collegiate levels. He finished first in his division six times and reached the Eastern Conference finals three times.

A three-time All-Star guard in the ABA, Brown is the only U.S. male to play and coach in the Olympics.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I guess everyone saw LeBron diss JVG on national television last night, talking about how Larry Brown would be a great coach when TNT was trying to plug VanGumby. LeBron presumably didn't understand that they were trying to set a question up for Van Gundy. Hee.hee.hee.

I wonder if Brown thinks that going from Iverson/Philly to LeBron/Cleveland is really going to be a situation with fewer headaches--unknown demons v. known demons.

Interesting.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 03:56 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's official now.

Brown steps down as coach of 76ers; can pursue other jobs

By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
May 26, 2003

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Larry Brown resigned as coach of the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday after six often-turbulent seasons, saying the decision ``has been coming for a long time.''

Brown, a Hall of Famer and one of basketball's most well-traveled coaches, could be a candidate for coaching vacancies in Cleveland, Houston and elsewhere. He said the 76ers have released him from a contractual clause that prohibited him from coaching another NBA team if he left Philadelphia prematurely. Brown had two years left in his contract.

Brown's job with the Sixers was his longest tenure with any team in his 31-year coaching career. He led the team to the playoffs five straight years, including the 2001 NBA Finals, and is to coach the U.S. men's national team this summer at an Olympic qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico.

The 62-year-old Brown had been contemplating stepping down since Philadelphia lost its second-round playoff series to the Detroit Pistons in six games. The Sixers overcame a mediocre start, won 23 of their final 33 games and finished 48-34.

But after beating New Orleans in six games in the first round, the Sixers couldn't get past the top-seeded Pistons, losing twice in overtime and once on a last-second shot that was goaltended.

``We had a good run,'' Brown said at a news conference. ``I think it's time to get somebody else in here to maybe give a fresh look.''

LeBron James, expected to go to the Cavaliers with the top pick in the NBA draft on June 26, said he would be happy if Brown ended up in Cleveland.

``I think Larry Brown is a great teacher if we can get him,'' James said during an interview at halftime of TNT's broadcast of the San Antonio-Dallas playoff game Sunday night. ``I consider myself a student of the game, so Larry Brown would be great.''

Brown came to Philadelphia in 1997, taking over a perennial loser that hadn't been to the playoffs since 1991. With help from then-president Pat Croce, Brown turned the Sixers from a laughingstock franchise into one of the top teams in the Eastern Conference.

In 2000-01, Brown led the Sixers to a 56-26 record and first place in the East. Philadelphia advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time in 18 years before losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games.

Brown won the NBA's Coach of the Year honors that season, the only time he won the award. Brown was Coach of the Year in the ABA three times in four seasons.

Brown had a contentious relationship with Allen Iverson, but the two worked together despite several disputes.

At one point, the All-Star guard nearly was traded to Detroit. A few times, Brown came close to leaving, and once had to be talked out of quitting by Croce and general manager Billy King.

Brown twice considered the possibility of returning to coach his alma mater, North Carolina -- both in 2000 when Matt Doherty was hired, and again when the Tar Heels were looking for a replacement in April.

Brown compiled a record of 879-685 in the NBA, and 1,285-853 overall, including ABA and college.

Brown won an NCAA national championship with Kansas in 1988. He became the first coach to take six NBA teams to the playoffs when the Sixers made it in 1999.

The Sixers were 255-205 under Brown, and 26-30 in the playoffs.

Brown has had winning records in 27 of his 31 seasons as a head coach on the professional and collegiate levels. He finished first in his division six times and reached the Eastern Conference finals three times.

Brown has also coached the Denver Nuggets (five years), Indiana Pacers (four years), San Antonio Spurs (3 1/2 years), New Jersey Nets and ABA Carolina Cougars (each two years) and the Clippers (18 months).

A three-time All-Star guard in the ABA, Brown is the only U.S. male to play and coach in the Olympics.

Brown's team for the Olympic qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico includes Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Tim Duncan and Iverson. The team will try to win one of three spots in the 2004 Olympics for nations from the FIBA-Americas zone.

Old 05-26-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< He said the 76ers have released him from a contractual clause that prohibited him from coaching another NBA team if he left Philadelphia prematurely. >>

Interesting.

Apparently it was a mutual decision.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 04:28 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

hhhmmmmm......premature evacuation?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:02 PM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Isn't this like the 3rd straight season where Larry Brown said he might be leaving? I'll believe he's leaving when i hear it from his mouth.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 05:02 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure AI is heartbroken. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2003, 05:03 PM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Isn't this like the 3rd straight season where Larry Brown said he might be leaving? I'll believe he's leaving when i hear it from his mouth. >>

It's official - MFF posted the press release with a quote from Brown.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 07:40 PM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Yeah I saw the Press Conference. Here's my prediction. in the 03-04 season, Larry Brown will be a Raptor, Silas a 76ers, Van Gundy a Cav, Czar will be a Rocket.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote