Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2003, 01:47 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default Spurs fans don't want Nash...

http://feedback.woai.com/ubb/ultimat...;f=33;t=014310

please allow me to laugh my ass off.

tim duncan would see more double teams because of nash...

right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #2
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Spurs fans don't want Nash...

i can't get to it because i don't have a login and i don't feel like registering, but that does sound pretty dumb. what is their logic...or do they have any?
Old 06-24-2003, 02:13 PM   #3
cookies_n_mavs

cookies_n_mavs is on a distinguished road

The bad spelling is blurring my eyes. Ludicris? That rapper Ludakris has ruined the minds of youth everywhere. Nowetski..ouch.

Someone's talking about going after Kobe? hehe.

Old 06-24-2003, 02:14 PM   #4
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

It's just a thread where somebody asked if they should trade Parker for Nash. Everybody freaked out and they are making a bunch of ridiculous statements.

Quote:
If Tim were a Mav, he would see NO double teams score 50 pts a night. But win no RINGS because he would be the only guy playing defense. While the rest of the team looks up at the box score checking their stats.
Quote:
And I don't think Tony Parker is overrated. Some people will even claim he's a top 5 pg,
Quote:
are you kidding me....steve nash is a nasty old canadian who needs to go back playing soccer...i say...keep the french dude!!
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
Intruder

Intruder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
http://feedback.woai.com/ubb/ultimat...;f=33;t=014310

please allow me to laugh my ass off.

tim duncan would see more double teams because of nash...

right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Well, look at it this way..... Less triple teams. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Intruder

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 02:27 PM   #6
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

intruder whats your take on this?
Old 06-24-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that Steve Nash would average 25-30 ppg if he was the Spurs PG. They have only one other big scoring option (Duncan), and Nash is a much better shooter and scorer than Parker.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
Intruder

Quote:
I really haven't thought much about this. One thing that jumps at me right of the bat when you compare this two is that Nash is by far the better shooter. Parker has more speed, and a lot of upside at 21.

I don't think this trade would benefit the Mavs at all, what do you guys think?

Intruder
Old 06-24-2003, 03:00 PM   #9
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs would never trade Nash straight up for Parker.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:04 PM   #10
Intruder

Hey KG;

I believe this is one of those "hypothetical "(SP) trades. Also known as "Stupid" trades. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Intruder
Old 06-24-2003, 03:13 PM   #11
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: Intruder
Hey KG;

I believe this is one of those "hypothetical "(SP) trades. Also known as "Stupid" trades. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Intruder
I agree. I clicked on the link and read the thread, and it appears that this was just a "what if" type question posed by one of the San Antonio fans. Interestingly, most SA fans that responded wouldn't give Parker to get Nash. Parker is young and does have a lot of upside, and Nash is due for a big payday in another year, but I still think the Spurs management would give Parker to get Nash.

My comment was in response to your question of whether the Mavs would benefit from the trade.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:14 PM   #12
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I would send you Nash for Parker/Jackson. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:21 PM   #13
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

In the last couple of days, I have come to the following conclusion:

Steve Nash is the most UNDERRATED player in the NBA.

You have a third team all nba point guard who puts up 18 points and 7 assists in 34 minutes per game and leads his team to 60 wins and the Western Conference (i.e. NBA) finals and people talk about him like he is a second rate 1 who needs to be replaced in order for his team to go all the way.

Puhleeze.

Steve Nash is the second best point guard in the NBA. That is my opinon, and the opinion of Mark Stein and Bill Simmons and Bob Ryan and a host of other experts of the game. He is better than Tony Parker, and the Mavs are stupid to waste their time trying to "upgrade" at the point guard position by trading him for Jason Kidd. Their efforts are better spent elsewhere.

As for the SA fans....what can you say. SAC fans said they thought Peja is better than Dirk, and that is absolutely ridiculous.

Hitman

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:29 PM   #14
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Tony Parker and for that matter most of the Spurs Roster is as good as Duncan makes them. Individually these players are not very good. Just tells us why TD is the mvp.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:45 PM   #15
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

the toronto people were underrating nash too. oh well, we know he is good.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:48 PM   #16
cookies_n_mavs

Nash voted NBA's most underrated player

(Oct. 10, near the bottom)
Old 06-24-2003, 10:58 PM   #17
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i remember him being voted the most underrated player.
i don't really think dallas fans underrate him, and i don't think other teams do either. i think mainly the fans of other teams are the ones that underrate him.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:05 PM   #18
cookies_n_mavs

Well, you know how fans are. Someone on the Spurs board said that Scot Pollard was hot.

I think Nash is a perfect fit for this team, some don't.

Sports fans are interesting creatures, no?
Old 06-24-2003, 11:09 PM   #19
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Quote:
Someone on the Spurs board said that Scot Pollard was hot.
seriously? that pretty much completely discredits anything they say...
Old 06-24-2003, 11:15 PM   #20
cookies_n_mavs

Actually, make that 2 fans on the Spurs board. My goodness...

Anyway, the phrase "HELL NO!!!!" seemed to be the big response for that suggestion in their thread.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:23 PM   #21
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

2 fans? wow, something is wrong with the water down there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2003, 12:23 AM   #22
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

If steve nash was open as much as parker he would score 30 points a game. Exhibit A hes a great shooter at 47 percent creating most of his opportunities if not all off the dribble. How many points does parker score off the dribble not many? Nash is the key to the ignition of this high octane offense. As much as I would love to see more of a post game from dirk, the ball doesn't flow through his hands it flows through the pg. Mavericks fans should laugh at this trade. And , Yes I know hes 21, but he didn't even play in the final two games of the nba finals or at least when it counted. Speedy Claxton was in the game at crucial moments of this series and in the first round when the suns nearly upset the spurs. I just think this whole exercise of whos a better point guard , has proven that nash is in fact a great point guard, and nicks a perfect backup. Ill take nash with all his worts unless its for an all-star caliber big man.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:26 AM   #23
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

parker does score off the dribble...he has a nice tear drop shot in the lane. and nash does score a lot of his points off spot up three pointers.
but nash is a better pg than parker, no doubt. he shoots better and sees the floor better.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:39 AM   #24
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Quote:
I really haven't thought much about this. One thing that jumps at me right of the bat when you compare this two is that Nash is by far the better shooter. Parker has more speed, and a lot of upside at 21.

I don't think this trade would benefit the Mavs at all, what do you guys think?

Intruder

it doesnt benefit the mavs and actually hurts them. nash with all his flaws is an infinately better scorer, passer, and would instantly make speedy keep his warmups on and force kerr into retirement. with nash, duncan would see less double teams because the PG can't drop off nash to play duncan. in addition, you would finally have someone late in games willing to take the big shot.

all the homerism on the spurs board is really laughable. the bottom line is that the mavs would never pull that trade in a million years, and TP at his peak could hope to be what nash is accomplishing now. granted, the perimeter defense probably gets worse, but duncan doesnt average over 5 blocks a game in the finals by having excellent perimeter defense. duncan and drobs prowess in the paint made the spurs perimeter defenders better than they are. for a young player who had been force fed minutes the past 2 seasons, i find it curious that he was sitting on the bench the final 2 games of the nba finals. yet no spurs fan mentions this. they just talk about his upside. well, rockets fans have been talking about steve francis' and eddin griffin's upside. we've been talking about lafrentz's upside.

look where its gotten us? abso - stinkin - lutely nowhere.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:19 AM   #25
Intruder

I agree that Steve Nash is one of the most if not the most underrated point guard in the league. I would love for the mavs to pull that trade for Jkidd. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have an observation from a "Spurs Homer"..... every year I hear something like this...

"Dirk has been getting better and better every year, and yet his 2(3,4) years old." Isn't that homerism (SP)? Parker is 21 . He developed a killer tear drop shot last summer. remember that overtime game at AA? plus eventhough, he's not the best shooter out there, his shot did get better. Give the kid a break. Yes, he didn't play much in the last two games. But don't you guys think that he'll learn from this experience? He's done it before....

Intruder

PS. Just for clarification, I do not think Scott Pollard is hot....
Old 06-25-2003, 09:34 AM   #26
cookies_n_mavs

Quote:

Good to hear, lol.... Anyway I'm not sure if drooling over Dirk's growing abilities is homerism, because he's simply a freak of nature when it comes to the game [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Maybe it is, who knows? (I for sure don't, somebody please clue me in)
Old 06-25-2003, 10:28 AM   #27
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
I agree that Steve Nash is one of the most if not the most underrated point guard in the league. I would love for the mavs to pull that trade for Jkidd. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I have an observation from a "Spurs Homer"..... every year I hear something like this...

"Dirk has been getting better and better every year, and yet his 2(3,4) years old." Isn't that homerism (SP)? Parker is 21 . He developed a killer tear drop shot last summer. remember that overtime game at AA? plus eventhough, he's not the best shooter out there, his shot did get better. Give the kid a break. Yes, he didn't play much in the last two games. But don't you guys think that he'll learn from this experience? He's done it before....

Intruder

yes parker is getting better. but i think at the same time, you would admit that dirk is getting better every year to. but to say that you wouldnt pull a nash for parker trade now based on some kind of potential just doesnt make any sense to me. its like saying you wouldnt trade dirk for michael jordan in his prime because dirk MAY end up being that good. not saying parker is dirk, or nash is jordan but there is a pretty signifcant difference in skill level between the two at this point.

Old 06-25-2003, 12:30 PM   #28
Intruder

Quote:
not saying parker is dirk, or nash is jordan but there is a pretty signifcant difference in skill level between the two at this point.

The difference in skill level is not as significant as it was a couple of years ago, wouldn't you agree? I think it's like comparing Dirk vs Duncan. Duncan is a great player, but Dirk is closing in fast.

Intruder
Old 06-25-2003, 12:35 PM   #29
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Quote:
not saying parker is dirk, or nash is jordan but there is a pretty signifcant difference in skill level between the two at this point.

The difference in skill level is not as significant as it was a couple of years ago, wouldn't you agree? I think it's like comparing Dirk vs Duncan. Duncan is a great player, but Dirk is closing in fast.

Intruder

still think its more significant than dirk and duncan at this point. parker still doesnt have a consistent outside shot and his assist numbers are terrible for a PG. the things he does have over nash are mostly physical tools which are sort of mitigated with his lack of other bball skills at this point. i think parker is a nice player, but i dont think hes as wonderful as spurs fans seem to believe.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:13 PM   #30
Intruder

I agree with you about not having a consistent shot, but it got a lot better during the off-season. He used to shoot flat-footed, now he is using his legs a bit more. His assist number should be higher, no question about that. But he does what he's asked to do...
"Give the ball to Timmy" as he puts it, push the ball when given the opportunity, take the shot if it is there. Heck the Spurs were like 20-1 when he scored 20 or more points(I think they did loose a game during the playoffs with him scoring above 20 though). One problem I do have with him is that he has to constantly be reminded about being aggressive. But for now, I'll stick with Parker. A 21 year old kid with 2 years in the league and the starting point guard for the NBA champs making less than a million bucks. Now don't you think that is a sweet deal?

Intruder
Old 06-25-2003, 06:44 PM   #31
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Nash would probably be a pretty good fit on the Spurs.

However, Parker's got a lot of potential for a 21 year old. His improvement during his rookie year, and his improvement over the course of this year were both pretty remarkable. His quckness is undeniable, and that's not something that you can teach.

Right now (today), Nash is better. Three years from now? I'm not convinced that will still be true.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:26 PM   #32
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I wouidn't want him either after that spin between 2 players Nash did on them. That tear drop wasn't too bad either.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:41 PM   #33
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

oh, that move was sweet, ffm! i jumped up out of my seat!
Old 06-25-2003, 09:45 PM   #34
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

lol I nearly forgot about it till TXCN replayed it over and over. I remembered how great it was. It got overshadowed by alot of other stuff but that has to be one of the plays of the playoffs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:53 PM   #35
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

that whole game was so sweet. i wish i had like a tape of it or something...i would definitely watch it, especially right now because i miss watching the mavs so much.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:38 PM   #36
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

When parker joined the spurs they already won a championship and had most of the main guys locked up.

They had TD, DROB, Malik.

Parker did not significantly improve the spurs at all. I am sure you would agree that Spurs would not have won a game without Duncan against the mavs. Nash made it possible without Dirk against spurs in Game 5. Also remember the dagger last season in the 126-123 overtime loss to mavs at alamo.

When Nash came in here this team was not even making playoffs and now we are contending for a championship. It speaks that at this stage it is pointless to say parker is better than Nash because Nash is way ahead of parker.

I do agree that there is a good chance that Parker could become better than nash over a period of time. Infact I thought parker should have got the most improved player this year.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:41 PM   #37
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

it all depends on what we want to do. if we trade finley, we lose talent at least for next year, but we get some young players with potential in return. so then it might make sense to trade nash for parker. that would set us back a few years, but we might be better in the long run. or not.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:39 PM   #38
cookies_n_mavs

BTW, That spin between the two Spurs was beautiful. I saw it and went "There is no way he just did that!"
Old 06-25-2003, 11:41 PM   #39
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

i still don't know how he pulled it off. i am not sure he knows either [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 09:23 AM   #40
Intruder

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
When parker joined the spurs they already won a championship and had most of the main guys locked up.

They had TD, DROB, Malik.

Parker did not significantly improve the spurs at all. I am sure you would agree that Spurs would not have won a game without Duncan against the mavs. Nash made it possible without Dirk against spurs in Game 5.
First of all, lets go over the "Main" group of guys. If I remember correctly, we had a conversation not so long ago about DROB. You pretty much had him as a non-factor. Malik comes of the bench, and although for some reason, the mavs have a hard time with him, he is still comming of the bench. Parker did "significantly" improve the Spurs. Although not a great shooter, he can push the ball, penetrate and finish, and shoot a lot better than our previous starting PG... AJ. And here is my homerism so bare with me.... If you take TD out of the line up, all of the sudden they can't go inside, well they can go inside if they want to, I just don't think they can score [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].... But as we saw in the WCF, You take Dirk out of the line up, you can still run the High pick and roll can't you? You guys have great shooters.

Also (still homerism going on) Spurs gave away game 5.

I do agree with you guys about that move. It was SICK..... And after thinking about this issue for a couple of days now, I would take Nash over Parker this upcomming year.... But since this is a hypothetical issue, I'll stick with the Kid.

Intruder

PS. Sorry for being such a homer...