Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
------
Disclaimer: I believe if Giannis tells the Mavs he wants to come here, we will figure out how to fit his max salary into our cap sheet. It almost certainly means we're losing 2-3 of DFS/THJ/Seth/Maxi, but that is worth the cost of adding an elite player in his prime. If Giannis does choose to come here as a free agent, what we do this summer is a little irrelevant since adding a $40M+ per year free agent often requires you to strip your roster down to the studs. Ideally, everyone on the roster but Luka is available if there's a real chance at improving our team, but I think we can all agree that a Porzingis trade this offseason would be pretty shocking.
This. Everyone is able to manufacture cap space when they need to, it's just a matter of what they have to give up. The same holds true for us.

I do not want to trade Porzingis unless it's to bring in Giannis. We'll likely get cents on the dollar for a guy who has injury concerns, but also he is a hard working 7-foot elite two-way player.

Quote:
Second Disclaimer: I am currently fueled by edibles
-------
Dry vape for me. Fireflys are awesome.

Quote:
I'd be all-in on trading #31/Jackson for Ntilikina. The dude is only 22 and has very real All-Defense potential (FWIW I feel the same way here about possibly acquiring Kris Dunn via a sign-and-trade). Ntilikina might have gone in the top 10 of this draft. #31 and a guy we don't really care about for him is a steal. Hell, I'd even trade #18 for him and count on him improving as a shooter with more open looks. All of this is moot though, because I doubt the Knicks would even trade him for #18. Knicks fans seem to think the new front office is high on him.
Couldn't disagree more. Surrounding Luka with non-shooters is setting him up to fail.

1) Luka needs spacing to initiate the offense because he doesn't have an elite first step.
2) You're potentially negating one of Luka's best traits (passing).
3) You're bringing in a one-position player (PG) who isn't great off the ball.
4) He would likely be a one-year rental if you're planning on pursuing Giannis because of his qualifying offer cap hold... you would have to renounce him to make space.

Two rookies tied up for years on cheaper deals makes way more sense for us IMO. Obviously draft is a crapshoot, but give me a guy like Desmond Bane for $2 million a year over Ntlikina anyday.

Edit: All else being equal I'd still rather have Immanuel Quickley than Frank Ntlikina.

Last edited by tap2390; 09-26-2020 at 04:23 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
This. Everyone is able to manufacture cap space when they need to, it's just a matter of what they have to give up. The same holds true for us.

I do not want to trade Porzingis unless it's to bring in Giannis. We'll likely get cents on the dollar for a guy who has injury concerns, but also he is a hard working 7-foot elite two-way player.

Dry vape for me. Fireflys are awesome.

Couldn't disagree more. Surrounding Luka with non-shooters is setting him up to fail.

1) Luka needs spacing to initiate the offense because he doesn't have an elite first step.
2) You're potentially negating one of Luka's best traits (passing).
3) You're bringing in a one-position player (PG) who isn't great off the ball.
4) He would likely be a one-year rental if you're planning on pursuing Giannis because of his qualifying offer cap hold... you would have to renounce him to make space.

Two rookies tied up for years on cheaper deals makes way more sense for us IMO. Obviously draft is a crapshoot, but give me a guy like Desmond Bane for $2 million a year over Ntlikina anyday.

Edit: All else being equal I'd still rather have Immanuel Quickley than Frank Ntlikina.
Yea, Frankly I don't think there would be a big drop off defensively between Bane and Frank. The plus side is Bane is a fantastic shooter and relentless off the ball.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote