Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-06-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Sitting is hard to stomach for Dirk

Sitting is hard to stomach for Dirk

After being sidelined by food poisoning, Nowitzki rested and ready to play vs. Denver

11:22 PM CDT on Thursday, April 5, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

DENVER – Dirk Nowitzki doesn't always reveal his innermost thoughts, so it was a bit unfortunate that he picked his bout of food poisoning to slip into too-much-information mode.

Looking more chipper after Thursday's practice at the University of Denver, Nowitzki seemed to take great delight in going over the grisly details of his stomach problem. Bad sea bass in Sacramento was the culprit, he said. Next time, he'll go with the sturgeon.

After he was done explaining the ins and outs of his gastro calamity, Nowitzki divulged that missing Tuesday's game in Sacramento, along with getting two more days off before tonight's test in Denver, might have been a blessing in disguise.

Avery Johnson certainly sees it that way.

"I was actually glad at the end of the day that we won that game without Dirk because even though he was sick, it still gave him a chance to rest from the aches and the bumps and the stuff he's been dealing with," Johnson said.

Nowitzki has turned his left ankle twice in the last 10 days, and while neither was serious, they are the kind of nagging injuries that no player wants going into the playoffs.

In that respect, his break in the action won't hurt, even if he doesn't enjoy it.

"We'll see once the playoffs roll around, but I don't like days off," Nowitzki said. "It was definitely more time than I wanted and needed. I worked out with the team [Thursday], and my legs felt pretty wobbly. That's obviously something I've got to get rid of going into the playoffs, but I got two more weeks.

"Things are coming together a little bit now. I've had a lot of stuff within a week, so hopefully, I'm getting it all out of the way before the playoffs. We've still got two weeks until it really counts, so hopefully, I'm in great shape when the playoffs roll around."

When he spent Tuesday night in his hotel room instead of playing against Sacramento, he was too weak to do much of anything.

"I really didn't have enough power to pace around," he said, "so I was just sitting in my bed. I left for the bathroom a couple times. It wasn't really a good deal."

Like all the Mavericks, Nowitzki is eager to begin tapering down for the playoffs. His coach, Holger Geschwindner, will arrive next week to help get Nowitzki playoff-ready.

"I've got to get everything right before we start it off," he said.

Not much has been wrong for Nowitzki all season. He's the front-runner for the MVP award, in spite of a couple of blah games on national television recently. His numbers have been consistent virtually the entire season.

What made Tuesday night more frustrating for Nowitzki was that he wasn't able to be with the team. It was the first time this season he hasn't been at the arena for a game. He sat out New Year's Eve against Denver, but was in the building resting in the training room with a sinus infection.

"It was definitely a weird experience," Nowitzki said. "Every time I'm not able to be out there with the boys is a weird feeling for me. Even when I'm not playing, I just love to be there on the bench or at least in the locker room to show the support."
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

MAVS NOTES

Nowitzki hopes bad luck is over

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Dirk Nowitzki returned to Mavs practice Thursday a little lighter and a little out of condition. The main thing, though, he was back.

"I've had a lot of stuff now within a week, so hopefully I'm getting it all out of the way before the playoffs," Nowitzki said. "We've still got two weeks until it really counts, so hopefully I'm getting it all out of the way, and I'll be in great shape when the playoffs roll around."

Two bouts with stomach issues, including food poisoning that kept him in the hotel for Tuesday's win at Sacramento, and turning his left ankle twice sum up the recent run of bad luck for the MVP contender.

Nowitzki hasn't played since Sunday, but will return to action tonight against the Nuggets at the Pepsi Center barring any unforeseen setbacks. The five-day break might turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

"I was actually glad at the end of the day that we won that game without Dirk because even though he was sick, it still gave him a chance to rest from the aches and the bumps and the stuff he's been dealing with the ankle, and the pounding of the game," coach Avery Johnson said.

Watching the game on TV was an odd experience for Nowitzki, and he couldn't recall the last time that happened. When he missed a game at Denver earlier this season with a sinus infection, he was at the arena in the training room.

"Every time I'm not able to be out there with the boys is a weird feeling for me," said Nowitzki, who left his bed only when necessary. "Even when I'm not playing, I just love to be there on the bench or at least in the locker room to show support."

As for the ankle he turned landing on Shawn Marion's foot, Nowitzki reported progress.

"It actually felt pretty decent the last couple of days," he said. "It's a little sore always where the bone spurs hit, but other than that I didn't think it was that bad. That's at least encouraging."

Briefly

The Mavs' number to clinch home-court advantage throughout the playoffs was cut to two when San Antonio beat Phoenix on Thursday.

Frequent ballboy Avery Johnson Jr. is on Easter break, so he's accompanying Dad and the team. The two AJs played one-on-one after practice.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

DENVER – Dirk Nowitzki doesn't always reveal his innermost thoughts, so it was a bit unfortunate that he picked his bout of food poisoning to slip into too-much-information mode.

The too-much-information quote from Dirk was: “It was coming out of every hole.” I love it, go Dirk.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
robo98564

robo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of lightrobo98564 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas

The too-much-information quote from Dirk was: “It was coming out of every hole.” I love it, go Dirk.
haha where'd you hear that left? thats pretty funny
robo98564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #5
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

I got that from Mavs Central.com
http://www.mavscentral.com/showarticles.php?id=204
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote