Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-10-2005, 11:22 PM   #121
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Texas Longhorns - Road to the National Championship Thread!

I understand that it doesn't matter why....Trust me, I'm a Vince Young fan...one of the biggest. However, his throwing ability is below average for a major conference QB...without a doubt.

VY had something that the OSU QB's didn't have....wide open receivers. Why did he have wide open receivers? Because of his ability to scramble...You have to account for VY as a runner in every situation..regardless of whether or not it's normally a passing situation.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #122
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Texas Longhorns - Road to the National Championship Thread!

Turnovers, dropped interceptions. Just about as many mistakes you can make against a damn good Ohio State team and still give yourself a chance to win. My heart feels funny. I need a long rest before Oklahoma. Anyway, great game. Hook em'
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:36 PM   #123
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The first INT is unacceptable. They won't survive the season as an undefeated team for long if he makes many more decisions like that.
I'd agree if I didn't see him make that same play for a touchdown last season. It's like with Bret Farve (at least the Farve of a few years ago he sucks now), you'd put up with him throwing int's with defenders hanging off of him because you knew he'd make up for it. IMO if you take away Vince's ability to improvise you take away what makes him a great college QB.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:49 PM   #124
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Congrats UT!
Old 09-11-2005, 12:01 AM   #125
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

If UT doesn't pull this one out then my play of the game is the int that Drew Kelson dropped. We were up 10-3 and could have taken control of the game if we scored there. In the end Kelson made what may have been the play of the game. Big night for Houston...
Old 09-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #126
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

btw it ended up not hurting and ut should have not let him catch the ball anyway but did anyone else notice on the replay that the guy "dove" off of his left knee? he was already down and got the first down because of where he landed. dont know how the td catch by sweed didnt make the top plays. Jamaal charles reminds me of a faster quentin griffin. ut should win out. vince took the early lead for the heisman but there will be many others to have a say. when was the last time the favorite after 2 games won it?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:55 AM   #127
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:
The first INT is unacceptable. They won't survive the season as an undefeated team for long if he makes many more decisions like that.
I'd agree if I didn't see him make that same play for a touchdown last season. It's like with Bret Farve (at least the Farve of a few years ago he sucks now), you'd put up with him throwing int's with defenders hanging off of him because you knew he'd make up for it. IMO if you take away Vince's ability to improvise you take away what makes him a great college QB.
Please, do not compare VY to 'Brett Farve'.

And no one is taking away his ability to improvise...no one mentioned that at all. However, there is a difference between improvising and stupidity. The first INT was a stupid mistake.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:10 AM   #128
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Please, do not compare VY to 'Brett Farve'.
Vince is just as good of a college as Bret was once a pro quarterback. Not saying that it will translate to the next level but at they're respective levels they're comparable.

Quote:
And no one is taking away his ability to improvise...no one mentioned that at all. However, there is a difference between improvising and stupidity. The first INT was a stupid mistake.
We're not going to agree on this one. You have a point because if any other QB did that I'd call it a stupid mistake but Vince can make that play, I've seen him do it and I'll live with it. In this case he just over threw Charles.

Although, if you didn't criticize him when he did it against Arkansas and hit Benson for a touchdown it doesn't seem right to criticize him now.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #129
Murphy3
Guru

They are completely different types of QB's..... You shouldn't make that comparison. Favre was a guy that could run but was known for his ability to throw. It's vice versa for VY. You don't have a leg to stand on.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #130
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

vince young is probably the best player in the country but that sidearm thing he has going on is uglier than shawn marion's jumpshot..

go horns

road to the natl championship still going strong haters

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:20 AM   #131
dirno2000
Diamond Member

You're missing the comparison...of course they're two different quarterbacks in style.

The thing is, they both have the ability to make plays that nobody else in the game can make and they know it. That overwhelming confidence sometimes leads them to attempt to make a play when nothing is there. It's just something that you have to put up with becasue in the end they're going to make more good plays than bad.

Hell, Farve threw an int last season when he wasn't even facing the line of scrimmage, why is that comparison so hard to see?
Old 09-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #132
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

and it also makes the coaches overuse the same schemes in playcalling...........

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #133
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i know what you mean, yes vince is great however you also have a whole lot of other talent. Charles took the starting job last night btw. about Vince, generally in that scenario you want your qb to just go down and protect the ball. Live to play another day. However, if vince always just went down when most qbs should then what is special about him would go away. I agree with dirno, if you didnt gripe when he scored a td with it you cant gripe now(or actually you can but it still sounded good) Vince's strength vs other running qbs is his strength. Most running qbs are elusive. He is every bit as elusive as anyone but he is a hoss power wise too. Ut will have a couple of scares and i think that we will play them pretty tough(within 14) but i see them going undefeated. BTW tech's loss to ut will be their only loss this year going into the bowls
Old 09-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #134
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
yeah, i know what you mean, yes vince is great however you also have a whole lot of other talent. Charles took the starting job last night btw. about Vince, generally in that scenario you want your qb to just go down and protect the ball. Live to play another day. However, if vince always just went down when most qbs should then what is special about him would go away. I agree with dirno, if you didnt gripe when he scored a td with it you cant gripe now(or actually you can but it still sounded good) Vince's strength vs other running qbs is his strength. Most running qbs are elusive. He is every bit as elusive as anyone but he is a hoss power wise too. Ut will have a couple of scares and i think that we will play them pretty tough(within 14) but i see them going undefeated. BTW tech's loss to ut will be their only loss this year going into the bowls
Give me a f'ing break. Get your collective head out of your asses. The play in question is a no brainer. The ball shouldn't have been thrown by any QB...Not by Favre...Not by Vick...Not by Young.

No one is attempting to reel VY in.. No one wants him to be less aggressive or anything like that. I completely understand that sometimes things will happen because he's attempting to stretch a play into a few extra yards...sometimes he might make a brilliant move and then get the ball stripped from behind. You have to take the good with the bad in those types of situations. However, his first interception does NOT fall into that category.

I realize that you have to take the good with the bad with this kid..because the good does far outweigh the bad...I also realize that some of the bad will always go along with the good with a QB such as this...sometimes the athleticism will result in putting yourself in a bad situation. But, it you cannot give him or anyone else a free pass on the first pick that he threw. That was just a stupid play by VY....end of story.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #135
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats to the t-sippers. Way to represent the Big 12. [img]i/expressions/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #136
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Originally posted by: Five-ofan
Give me a f'ing break. Get your collective head out of your asses. The play in question is a no brainer. The ball shouldn't have been thrown by any QB...Not by Favre...Not by Vick...Not by Young.

No one is attempting to reel VY in.. No one wants him to be less aggressive or anything like that. I completely understand that sometimes things will happen because he's attempting to stretch a play into a few extra yards...sometimes he might make a brilliant move and then get the ball stripped from behind. You have to take the good with the bad in those types of situations. However, his first interception does NOT fall into that category.

I realize that you have to take the good with the bad with this kid..because the good does far outweigh the bad...I also realize that some of the bad will always go along with the good with a QB such as this...sometimes the athleticism will result in putting yourself in a bad situation. But, it you cannot give him or anyone else a free pass on the first pick that he threw. That was just a stupid play by VY....end of story.
it was definitely a stupid play and decision on youngs part, theres no question about it.. i dont kno how anyone can defend that play

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2005, 02:49 PM   #137
dirno2000
Diamond Member

You guys are ignoring the fact that he had a man open on the play and just overthrew him. I'm going to call that a physical error as opposed to a mental one because he's shown that he can make that throw with defenders hanging off of him...just didn't work out that time.

Old 09-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #138
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
You guys are ignoring the fact that he had a man open on the play and just overthrew him. I'm going to call that a physical error as opposed to a mental one because he's shown that he can make that throw with defenders hanging off of him...just didn't work out that time.
he threw it right to the osu linebacker. i mean the guy didnt even have to take a step...

Contact Me
Old 09-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #139
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

it was a forced mistake, as talented as young is, you can't give him the benefit of the doubt on any play like that, no matter if it's worked ok for him in the past. 9 times out of 10, forcing a pass when you should take the sack will result in a bad play.
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #140
bgantz

bgantz is on a distinguished road

double post
bgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:27 PM   #141
alby
Guru

ou loses again [img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Old 09-18-2005, 08:26 AM   #142
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: alby
ou loses again [img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img]
wow...the mighty have so seriously fallen

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #143
alby
Guru

Texas - Oklahomo Week.

Contact Me
Old 10-03-2005, 12:54 AM   #144
Five-ofan
Guru

I dont think there is any way that texas can underestimate OU because it is OU, but if Im Mack I make dang sure they know that OU needs to be paid back for the recent destructions of texas. If its close you play to win and dont worry about what the score is. If you get up by more than 14 early, you run it up as high as you can. If you can get 70 you do. Ou has earned it running the score up on Texas. However, if you are coaching or a player you cant think about that. You have to prepare as if you are playing a team the caliber of OU the last few years. This is the game that defines Vince's Heisman hopes. This game and Tech are really the only loseable games they have left if they show up at all. If vince puts up over 350 yards of total O, he will finish in the top 3 in the heisman voting. We cant stop Vince. Our defense is to unathletic and I believe that is one of the games that our best defensive player has to spend in Jail. The player I speak of is Vincent Meeks.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #145
alby
Guru

2000: 63-14
2001: 14-3
2002: 35-24
2003: 65-13
2004: 12-0

Mack Brown better run up the score if given the opportunity...

Contact Me
Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 AM   #146
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I'm actually thinking this game will be close...UT wins, but it won't be a blowout.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:00 PM   #147
alby
Guru

it is all going to depend on the health of adrian peterson..

Contact Me
Old 10-08-2005, 03:41 PM   #148
alby
Guru

there goes the oklahoma monkies off our backs =)

Contact Me
Old 10-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #149
alby
Guru

Vince Young
14-27 243 yards 3 tds 0 int 42 yards rushing

285 total yards

Final Score
Texas 45 - 12 Oklahoma

Texas Longhorns
5-0
next: @ home vs Colorado

Contact Me
Old 10-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #150
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Mark your calendars...

TWO WEEKS FROM TONIGHT: Raiders @ Horns for the Big XII south title.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #151
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Don't make those Pasadena hotel reservations just yet horn fans - Ohio State just lost to Penn State.

Texas needs to obliterate the competition from here out or they're gonna get screwed in the polls. I know it's bullshit, but a 12-0 Texas team will need HELP to get into the National Championship game.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:18 AM   #152
alby
Guru

I think for drama reasons the media will put doubt into people stating that a 12-0 Longhorn team won't be getting into the Rose Bowl when lets say USC and VT are also undefeated as well, but for some reason, I really can't believe that Texas will be left out if they finish 12-0 this season. I really don't.

Contact Me
Old 10-09-2005, 12:22 PM   #153
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Sounds like you need to have a talk with Endtro.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #154
Five-ofan
Guru

Texas will definitely be in the NC if they win out. I say again the VT schedule isnt much more difficult and they still have to jump UT. Only way VT has a chance is if FSU gets to the title game unbeaten and then VT beats them because that would be seen as a playoff system of sorts. The thing is the UT game is the matchup everyone wants to see. Did anyone see the Tech game? Thank God the Nebraska player didnt go down after the pick. BTW Dan fouts is a moron. "I dont know that isnt much interference" ???? what? He shoulder chucked the guy when the ball was in the air plus he was way more than 5 yards down field. I am referring to the pick that was nullyfied do to interference. Nebraska is pretty solid. As much as I want to pick us to beat UT it aint happening. Our best defensive player will be in jail that week. (he can only go to home games because he is on some sort of a release program but he cant leave the jurisdiction so on away game weeks he goes to jail for the weekend.) We just dont have the defensive athletes to play with vince. On the other hand we always have a punchers chance.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #155
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Who cares? Anybody see the last play of the SMU game?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:49 AM   #156
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Unbeaten teams could cause perfect BCS storm
Insider
By Brad Edwards
Special to espn.com

With only nine teams still unbeaten at the unofficial halfway point of college football's regular season, statistical logic says the odds to end with more than two perfect teams are extremely slim.

In addition to the fact that it's difficult to win five or six more games in a row against opposition that mostly ranks among the upper half of Division I-A, there is also the "cannibalization process" by which these undefeated teams eliminate each other. Penn State, for example, is the only unbeaten that can finish its pre-bowl schedule without the possibility of meeting another team that currently has a perfect record.

It sounds like a natural selection case study. The pretenders will be weeded out, and the contenders will be left to play in the BCS title game.

Can somebody help with the rest of this article...
Old 10-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #157
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

i read this article....it'd be pretty nuts if all these teams were undefeated going into the last week of the season. however i just don't see it happening. too many teams have tough roads to get there...
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #158
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

They have to go through Texas Tech. The series is 7-8 over the last 15 games. Except for last year most of the games were close. Two years ago the Longhorns escaped with a 41-38 victory. I agree Vince doesn't have a cannon for an Arm like Vick, but he doesn't have too. The guy could probably play three or four postions in the pros. It will be interesting to see if he goes out this season.

jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #159
Five-ofan
Guru

I am a Tech student so it pains me to say this again but unless Texas just completely overlooks us, they will roll up half a hundred on us. We are better defensively and I always think that we have a punchers chance but the only way we win is if it like the northwestern Wisconsin game. With the score being around 51-48. That D isnt giving up 51. Texas is equipped to guard us because they have athletes in the secondary. One thing is that Chizik isnt married to man to man like the Texas D was before last year. Thats one reason it wasnt close last year. You cant guard our offense with man coverage because we run too many rub routes and picks and things of that nature. However a team with athletes like texas that knows when to blitz and when to just drop back can cause us alot of problems. Last year was the first year in a long time that Texas didnt rely exclusively on man to man.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:17 PM   #160
yukmunky

yukmunky is on a distinguished road

UT does have plenty of athletes in their secondary. However, Tech will also be bringing it's most athletic WR corps into this game they have ever assembled. The Tech WR's are the best group that UT is likely to face all season. The mobility of Hodges as compared to Cumbie should also make life a little harder on Chizik than what Robinson faced last year. I would be real hesitant to use last season as a reason why UT should be able to keep the Tech offense down this year.
yukmunky is offline   Reply With Quote