Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 guard

You hear every year at draft time that centers and pgs are the hardest position to find and that 2s and 3s are the easiest positions to find. Well if this is the case(and i believe it is) why the hell cant we find a 2?
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I have been saying that we need a good 2 that can guard some of the players like Kobe. Or slow them down. Harris and Terry cant do it and thats why we lost to GS because they were not strong enough to guard Davis and not big enough to guard Richardson. I want to say that we should wait and see what happens wit Ager, but I think he is undersized too. But I hope we can keep him, because he mite become what Stack is for us now.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
pickupyonuts

pickupyonuts will become famous soon enoughpickupyonuts will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
I have been saying that we need a good 2 that can guard some of the players like Kobe. Or slow them down. Harris and Terry cant do it and thats why we lost to GS because they were not strong enough to guard Davis and not big enough to guard Richardson. I want to say that we should wait and see what happens wit Ager, but I think he is undersized too. But I hope we can keep him, because he mite become what Stack is for us now.
say ager is the equivalent for us in a few years that stack is now...its still not the same. stack has the experience. i expect nothing from this guy.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I expect a lot and I think he can deliver if given the chance. He also mite be the one with that killer instinct like NVE tht we need.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

They got Buckner for Kobe and Wade. Avery has a problem or we do in one way because Dallas doesn't know who is point guard. Avery doesn't or did not know if it was Terry or Harris. That is why he played around starting George at the 2 and George can't always shoot good.

I do not think Buckner is all that good but is suppose to be good on defense. This is a big decision in the off season, does he want two point guards starting again(Harris/Terry) and i feel he will say no to this. If not, who starts? Harris might win out with his quickness but who knows it could be Terry or does one of these players get traded or come off the bench to relieve the other?

It has also been talk of Howard at the 2 guard and picking up another physical tall forward to score inside. All these decisions must be made and these wasn't dealt with this season because we kept doing good. GS made us what Miami made us last season, a jump shooting team and said NO to any layup or dunk and we said ok, we promise not to come inside and we didn't.

If we could drive or if we could score in the painted area, just think how good this team would be? Look at our record and do not get me wrong, all these players are good on our team or most all and if we could get lucky and keep what we have or most, make a decision at point and shooting guard and get someone that could score inside and have a player that could drive, not just Harris, we would be ok. Can we pick up those couple pieces or holes we have without a trade or will it take a trade? I feel Croshere and Stackhouse is probably gone and then we have 2 or 3 young guys that might be gone. Ager needs to improve fast. He loves to come off screens and shoot. Like Dirk, like Terry. We need a man to penetrate. McDyess would be wonderful to have and McDyess alone would have beat GS. Detroit does this and plays a bunch of forwards.

Dampier and Diop are not bad and especially on defense but against some teams we need a paint offensive man. A paint offense man would hurt Phx, GS and a team like Denver. Then he opens up the front and our jump shooters.

It is sad because we match up great with SA, Detroit, Bulls, Heat, and these are your better teams but we wasn't preparred for a team like GS. They claim Ager is good on defense and shoots good but you must make him shoot at times and i am like most of you on here, he has not shown me anything.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

i'm not sure how ager hasn't shown you guys anything. he has vastly improved since the beginning of the season. now dont get me wrong, I don't necessarily think he is ready for prime time on the best team in the NBA. He just hasn't been giving a lot of changes. I think we need to really put him in some games for a decent amount of minutes and see how he does. I'd rather see him out there than some of the other guys we put out there off the bench...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I agree that we need a better 2 guard, maybe package 2 of our second rounders for a first rounder or something like that. Buck has been a disappointment.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I agree that we need a better 2 guard, maybe package 2 of our second rounders for a first rounder or something like that. Buck has been a disappointment.
buck is a piece of crap. Everyone knows that. Always has been. Not exactly sure why anyone expected anything from him. If he plays more than 8-10 minutes a night, you are in a bad spot at the 2 guard.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMavsFan
i'm not sure how ager hasn't shown you guys anything. he has vastly improved since the beginning of the season. now dont get me wrong, I don't necessarily think he is ready for prime time on the best team in the NBA. He just hasn't been giving a lot of changes. I think we need to really put him in some games for a decent amount of minutes and see how he does. I'd rather see him out there than some of the other guys we put out there off the bench...
The difference in his play from the start of the season to the post season is quite dramatic. I think he really, really improved. If he works hard during summer leagues and becomes a reliable defender at the 2 I see no reason why he doesn't play significant minutes this year. Of course, that is entirely contingent upon how hard he works and how much he improves. He might actually be the best option for improving the guard play as the Mavs are pretty well capped out.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #10
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I've heard since Avery started that we need a 2 guard that can stop or slow players like Kobe, McGrady, Wade, etc. I've even said it myself.

But here's the problem: nobody in this league consistently stops or slows those guys. Nobody.

The problem Dallas had against Golden State and Miami last year was offense, not defense. I finally see that clearly. You have to have a player that bothers those guys some, but you also must make those guys play defense a bit, just to occupy thier minds.

But there I go again. Dallas did not execute on offense. We could not hit shots consistently. I remember several stretches where we made good defensive plays, but couldn't convert on the other end. Sometimes 2-3 times in a row. Eventually that wears you down.

So, let's go back to a few years ago when Cuban didn't want to pay Michael Redd the full MLE. That may have been as definative for this team as everyone thinks losing Nash was.

A week after it all ended, as I list the role players I would like to have had. Jason Kapono comes to mind. No he's not the answer in any way, but do you think he would have hit a few 3 pters for us? Here's one, maybe the most annoying in the league to look at: Kyle Korver. Think also about what NVE brought us a few years ago agains sacramento. 85 pt first half. How good of a defender was he? Would you have liked to have nad NVE from 3 years ago on the bench?

I'm not saying any of these guys is the answer. The point I'm making is that defenders like Buckner and George can defend ok, but the overall impact of the game is meaningless if they aren't a threat to put up some points. Look at Bruce Bowen. Probably the best defender in the league. During this season as he stopped hitting that three pointer all-together, he wasn't nearly as menacing.

Just some thoughts on a night when I should be working on my take-home final exam.

Last edited by jacktruth; 05-07-2007 at 10:15 PM.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Good points, JT. When "defense wins championships," it's usually because the offense made it easy for them to do so.

It's just two sides of the same coin. You could easily make the observation that Golden State out-defended the pants off us in that series.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #12
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Good points, JT. When "defense wins championships," it's usually because the offense made it easy for them to do so.

It's just two sides of the same coin. You could easily make the observation that Golden State out-defended the pants off us in that series.
Although I probably favor defense a bit more than you do in general, I agree with everything you say here. I actually think Golden State did defend us brilliantly in that series. We need someone to create some offense and to score when Dirk is double-teamed. I'm not sure if that guy is a point guard who can get Dirk shots, a two guards who can draw defenders, or a low-post guy. But we need offense from somebody. Terry and Howard are both pretty one-dimensional on offense.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #13
BaylorTMW

BaylorTMW is on a distinguished road

Buck was a major disappointment this year. I thought he would be a more skilled version of Griffin from 05-06. That did not happen...
Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorTMW
Buck was a major disappointment this year. I thought he would be a more skilled version of Griffin from 05-06. That did not happen...
as did several others and the question i have for this is, WHY????? hes always sucked.