Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 03-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
kappasigma

kappasigma will become famous soon enough
Default 2008 Draft Picks

Does anyone know if our first rounder is lottery protected? If so, i'm kinda liking the idea of getting a good rookie since i don't think this team has the mental make up to go all the way.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
kappasigma

it is protected ...... come on dj augustine
Old 03-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappasigma
Does anyone know if our first rounder is lottery protected? If so, i'm kinda liking the idea of getting a good rookie since i don't think this team has the mental make up to go all the way.
So a rookie is going to help our mental game???

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
kappasigma

no, all it will do is possibly upgrade a position which could lead to better execution of plays on both ends

i can recall a few rookies who changed the mental game of their teams .... lebron, carmelo, ai, cp3 .....
Old 03-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no, all it will do is possibly upgrade a position which could lead to better execution of plays on both ends

i can recall a few rookies who changed the mental game of their teams .... lebron, carmelo, ai, cp3 .....
What pick did teams acquire LeBron, Carmelo, AI, and CP3 with?

What pick will we have?

Last edited by Underdog; 03-24-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
kappasigma

i remember a draft were we didn't have a true draft pick and we ended up with the number 5 pick.....cp3 was the number 4 pick.

i'm gonna quit debating stupid nonsense points cause thats not the point of this topic .....

or maybe i should just quit following the mavs cause they will never have a rookie who can help WHATSOEVER according to you. lets just keeping signing vets .... hey eddie jones, how about a 5 year extension! F*CK rookies! bring on the grey's!!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Underdog

Quote:
i remember a draft were we didn't have a true draft pick and we ended up with the number 5 pick.....cp3 was the number 4 pick.

i'm gonna quit debating stupid nonsense points cause thats not the point of this topic .....

or maybe i should just quit following the mavs cause they will never have a rookie who can help WHATSOEVER according to you. lets just keeping signing vets .... hey eddie jones, how about a 5 year extension! F*CK rookies! bring on the grey's!!!!
You're right - the point of this topic was "Does anyone know if our first rounder is lottery protected?" and you answered your own question with the second post...

/thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #8
dashiet

dashiet is on a distinguished road

Quote:

You're thinking of the 2004 draft, and Shaun Livingston was the 4th pick ahead of Devin.
dashiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Flip41

Flip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the roughFlip41 is a jewel in the rough

That Curry kid out of Davidson looks like a very good player. I wonder if he will leave school this year.
Flip41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I really like Hasheem Thabeet from UConn. A 7'3" center who is an athletic freak and a ferocious shot blocker. He also has pretty good hands for a big guy.

He would instantly give us Center depth and Kidd would make him a human highlight reel. He's predicted to go mid-late first round now so we could have a chance at him if we end up in the lottery.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

So after watching tonight's game, I'm more and more convinced we are going to have a first round draft pick this year. So do we go PG or C? Augustine would be nice but probably won't make it to 14; I like Thabeet, too. Both are spots where we are aging and it'd be nice to have a young guy in the wings. This of course assumes we don't blow the whole thing up.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #12
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I really like Hasheem Thabeet from UConn. A 7'3" center who is an athletic freak and a ferocious shot blocker. He also has pretty good hands for a big guy.

He would instantly give us Center depth and Kidd would make him a human highlight reel. He's predicted to go mid-late first round now so we could have a chance at him if we end up in the lottery.

Sounds a lot like DJ MBenga to me... do we really want another stiff project center for this team??
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #13
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

Thabeet is far from Mbenga.. at worst he'll be a mutombo type, exclusively rebounding and defense but the kid has some touch. i'd like to see him stay at uconn for another year but kid is an absolute beast
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Hibbert might be on the board at 14 too.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
Sounds a lot like DJ MBenga to me... do we really want another stiff project center for this team??
lol...NO.

D.J. was 24 when he came to the Mavericks and, although athletic, he had horrible defensive habbits, very little experience, and bad technique.

Thabeet is only 21 and has a better built basketball body than D.J. does now at 28 years old. He's two inches taller than M'Benga at 7'3" 265 and his shot blocking timing and discipline are off the charts. When watching him he does remind me a lot of Dikembe Mutumbo. He's not just athletic but he is very talented, specifically on the defensive end.

Here is Chad Ford's scouting report on him:

Draft Projection: Mid to late first round

Similarities:
Thabeet might benefit from a couple more seasons in Storrs.
(AP Photo/Tim Larsen)

A poor man's Dikembe Mutombo

Positives: He's huge. Amazing shot-blocker. Good rebounder. Excellent athlete who runs the floor very well. Explosive leaper. Good hands. Developing offensive game. Has added a nice turn-around jumper. Appears to be a fast learner ... his play seems to improve from game to game.

Negatives: He's still very raw, especially offensively. Still learning the game. Needs to add strength to his lower body. Has difficulty holding his position in the block.

Summary: Thabeet was pegged early as a potential late lottery sleeper. His size, athleticism and growing basketball skills had NBA scouts drooling. But his lackluster play his freshman season hurt his stock. He's improved as a sophomore -- enough to generate some real draft buzz. It depends on whom you ask ... but teams see him going anywhere from 10 to 25 in this draft. We have him on the low end, but with workouts, he could move up.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
Hibbert might be on the board at 14 too.
I wouldn't touch Hibbert with a 10-foot pole. He is Michael Oluwokandi waiting to happen all over again.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:28 PM   #17
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't this is a fit but it's hard to ignore what Hansbrough brings night in and night out. I love his energy and aggressiveness.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Please anybody but Roy F'n Hibbard.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #19
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

hansbrough will struggle at the next level when he is forced to shoot over the top of taller players. He will be a brandon bass type if he learns to shoot the short jumper as well as bass.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
peruna11

peruna11 is on a distinguished road

If we have a lottery pick what do you guys think about Darrell Arthur or Anthony Randolph?
peruna11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #21
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The more I watch him, the more I'm getting sold on Tyler Hansbrough.

He is small but he brings it every single night. It sounds like he works his ass off on non-game days. He shows no fear at all in the paint, he hustles, he gets the boards and is energy in a can.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #22
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

I'm partial to Stephen Curry now.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:44 PM   #23
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
The more I watch him, the more I'm getting sold on Tyler Hansbrough.

He is small but he brings it every single night. It sounds like he works his ass off on non-game days. He shows no fear at all in the paint, he hustles, he gets the boards and is energy in a can.
I'm with you on this one. I'm not claiming he's going to be a star or anything, but I think people are underrating what he brings to the table when they say he is a Mark Madsen clone. He's going to be a solid NBA player who should make for a good backup or okay starter for probably 10 years in my mind. He works as hard as any player out there, he's money in the clutch, and people are sleeping on his athleticism and midrange jumper. If he slides to somewhere in the 20's, I think some NBA team is going to be very happy with their luck.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #24
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
I'm partial to Stephen Curry now.
I'm loving me some Stephen Curry right now. The only thing thing that is holding him back in the NBA IMO, is that he's just a little too short and will be a liability on defense because of that. But the guy can shoot. At worst, he's a pure shooter off the bench.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 03-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #25
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbrynt
hansbrough will struggle at the next level when he is forced to shoot over the top of taller players. He will be a brandon bass type if he learns to shoot the short jumper as well as bass.

He has confidence in the short range jumper and he has the frame + energy to work in the paint. His bread and butter doesn't look to be a finisher like Bass wants to be. He has some polish to it with spin moves and aggression. He gets comments like he gets contact which he initiates but its tough not to call it on the defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
I'm loving me some Stephen Curry right now. The only thing thing that is holding him back in the NBA IMO, is that he's just a little too short and will be a liability on defense because of that. But the guy can shoot. At worst, he's a pure shooter off the bench.
That's a pretty major problem to have. Does that remind you of someone we currently have on the roster?

I'd rather have someone you can dump it in the paint too to create, and it's not necessary to do that all the time for him to be effective. Hansbrough does the dirty work and gets inside and will bring it on every posession. I think you can count on him more than Curry. If Curry gets locked down, you're sunk.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #26
FINtastic
Diamond Member

No one is predicting Curry to be a star on the next level. Honestly, if you're Stephen Curry, I think you'd be thrilled to have a Jason Terry type career. Strangely enough, that is kinda who he reminded me of today. I like the kid though, and I hope he has some sort of success on the next level. Of course, I hope he stays a couple more years before he goes because he's a joy to watch on the college level.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson