Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

LOVE the Kinks, Chaff.

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
The Animals - Most of the Animals
Menomena - I Am The Fun Blame Monster! (This little album has been in my collection for a while now, neglected until a few days ago when I decided to give it a try. It's prettay, prettay, prettay good. Mind-blowing, actually. It's hard to describe, kind of like a mix of Massive Attack & Radiohead, with some indie-pop thrown in. I think I've found something to help pry me from my Okkervil River addiction.)
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled
LOVE the Kinks, Chaff.

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
Shout Out Louds - Howl Howl Gaff Gaff
The Animals - Most of the Animals
Menomena - I Am The Fun Blame Monster! (This little album has been in my collection for a while now, neglected until a few days ago when I decided to give it a try. It's prettay, prettay, prettay good. Mind-blowing, actually. It's hard to describe, kind of like a mix of Massive Attack & Radiohead, with some indie-pop thrown in. I think I've found something to help pry me from my Okkervil River addiction.)
rep for the curb reference
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

chris thile's new band - punch brother's new cd "Punch" is really good. I picked it up at his show in tacoma last night.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
fluid.forty.one

The Duhks - The Duhks
Old 02-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights (Amy Winehouse, Nicole Willis, and Sharon Jones - 2007 was a GREAT year for soul music)
Old 03-03-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
fluid.forty.one

Darol Anger & Mike Marshall - Woodshop
Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Daft Punk - Discovery; they weren't on my radar before Kanye sampled them but I'm kinda feeling this album

Erica Badu - Amerykah Part One (The 4th World War)
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
fluid.forty.one

daft punk is legit. I love them.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

daft punk's "around the world" brought me into the darkness. much love for french house.

i am feeling:
- black uhuru
- sasha n digweed

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

vampire weekend is 1000000x better than I thought it would be. Usually I don't like bands with that much hype...

It's like a mix between Paul Simon, Kings of Leon and the Shins.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 AM   #11
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
vampire weekend is 1000000x better than I thought it would be. Usually I don't like bands with that much hype...

It's like a mix between Paul Simon, Kings of Leon and the Shins.
just finished listening to this for the 2nd time through... I'm absolutely blown away. This CD is amazing.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:39 AM   #12
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Standards - Jimmy Smith
Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
March 4, 2005 - Jeff Tweedy
Hard Rain - Bob Dylan
I'm Not There Soundtrack

Last edited by mkat; 03-06-2008 at 01:40 AM.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

stephen speaks-a mixture of both of their cds. If you would like some music to listen to with your girl this is definitely a band you should listen to. Out of my league is their best song.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Ride The Lightning........ FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE!
TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain. So far so good, I need to listen to it more often, I could definitely get into this.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #15
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Moros Eros - okay, my son loves it. kinda off beat
Old 03-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Foo Fighters - Echos, slice, patience and grace

I'm gonna try that vampire weekend based on your guys's's's's recommendation. It better be good...
Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 AM   #17
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Alright....I like this vampire weekend...but I have some...err...criticisms.

If they need to borrow a REAL kick drum mic, I have a nice Shure kick drum mic they can borrow. They can't REALLY want it to sound like that can they?

Is this guy using a fretless bass? There's something off about it. There's a time and a place.

Other than the production values, which are either poor bc it's their first album, or poor bc of some pretentious stuck up reason and they think they sound "raw" or "real" or "natural" or some bs....they're pretty good.

I like it.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #18
untitled
Golden Member

The Clash - London Calling
The National - Boxer

Re: Vampire Weekend, I must say that I do not get what the big deal is. It's incredibly accessible and catchy, but I'm not a big Paul Simon fan and their sound definitely emulates his on occasion. I've listened to it 6 times through now, and towards the end I'm always waiting for the album to wrap up so I can listen to something else. Also, unlike Flaco, I felt that the production was too thick. I did not get the impression that they wanted to sound "raw", quite the opposite, actually. I'll continue to revisit it occasionally, but I don't think this album has the legs to keep my attention for much longer.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #19
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it the band MTV has been hyping up for a while?

It sounds like they must be subscribers to the ongoing trend of lo-fi recording, like The Black Keys, The White Stripes, etc.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #20
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Have only heard the two songs VW did on SNL this past weekend....but got tiredhead so fast it made me tired.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

One of my all time favorite bands is rocking me right now....

Luxury - "Health and Sport"

Go to iTunes right now and check Luxury out....for $.99 each purchase "Black Books", and "Diary Standard", and "Strange Flowers"....let me know what you think.

however the best song is an 11 minute track called "Shake more hands, give more hugs"....genius.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
One of my all time favorite bands is rocking me right now....

Luxury - "Health and Sport"

Go to iTunes right now and check Luxury out....for $.99 each purchase "Black Books", and "Diary Standard", and "Strange Flowers"....let me know what you think.

however the best song is an 11 minute track called "Shake more hands, give more hugs"....genius.
someone spend a couple bucks and let me know what they think of Luxury.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #23
fluid.forty.one

Just started listening to Jedi Mind Tricks.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 03-12-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #24
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Last edited by SaltwaterChaffy; 03-24-2008 at 10:21 AM.
SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

is that zooey deschanel, salt? if not, looks a LOT like her.

how's that new gnarls barkley?

really liked that first raconteurs CD. didn't know they had a new one coming out!

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 03-24-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #26
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Idiot Pilot - wolves:

Elephant
Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #27
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm loving that new Gnarles Barkley
Old 03-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #28
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I'm loving that new Gnarles Barkley
Yup, it's pretty good. Not on the level of St. Elsewhere because it has a few songs I dislike, but it's darn good.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #29
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

BBL,

Yes, it's Zooey Deschanel and M.Ward, they released an album together under the name "She and Him." She's a pretty capable singer.

New Gnarls is pretty good, but not as good as St. Elsewhere. "Run" is a fun song, but it doesn't work as well for me without the video. Nothing on here touches "Crazy" or "Smiley Faces."

The new Raconteurs is awesome

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

"Going on" is a really quality song.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #31
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I'd actually take The Odd Couple over St. Elsewhere. I think it's a more consistent album.

And I'd put "Who's Gonna Save My Soul" and "Neighbors" up against any two songs on St. Elsewhere.

But that's just me, music hits different people in different ways.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 AM   #32
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Check this out, I'm gonna go old school on you, I went to a bar this saturday and they had Karaoke going on, but it really reminded me of a few old songs:

Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon (Sung by yours truly, this was the Urge Overkill version)
Mr. Roboto - Styx
Just Got Wicked - Cold (Yes, someone sung that........ and I was singing it along)
At A Medium Pace - Adam Sandler (Completely forgot about that, hilarious)
Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode
Two Princes - Spin Doctors (If you, want to call me baby, just go ahead now!)
Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #33
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Looking for ambient trip hop sounds, something that sets the mood right. The likes of Morcheeba, Dj Shadow, ATCQ, Diggable Planets, Zero 7, or even Baduh. Any suggestions?

And also a little bit of house music too. Thanks in advance.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #34
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Looking for ambient trip hop sounds, something that sets the mood right. The likes of Morcheeba, Dj Shadow, ATCQ, Diggable Planets, Zero 7, or even Baduh. Any suggestions?

Fat Jon
Bonobo
Fila Brazillia
Crazy Penis
Lemon Jelly
Red Snapper
Jon Kennedy
Nightmares on Wax
Thievery Corporation
Spacetime Continuum

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-25-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #35
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Fat Jon
Bonobo
Fila Brazillia
Crazy Penis
Lemon Jelly
Red Snapper
Jon Kennedy
Nightmares on Wax
Thievery Corporation
Spacetime Continuum

Thanks thanks. Keep em coming

Old 03-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #36
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Looking for ambient trip hop sounds, something that sets the mood right. The likes of Morcheeba, Dj Shadow, ATCQ, Digable Planets, Zero 7, or even Baduh. Any suggestions?

If you like Shadow, you'll probably like RJD2 and Metaform as well.

Rjd2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Gymlv487k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eS_hbeYpcI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZmgZN1umsM

Metaform
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wT3zLbR-6uA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4VeAcPg3Vlw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=J5zfudVPta0

Last edited by mavs413; 03-25-2008 at 01:52 PM.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #37
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

Been listening to Rjd2 for quite some time now. I'll try listening to metaform. Thanks for the suggest!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #38
untitled
Golden Member

El Gato - Surrender!

Menomena - Friend and Foe
Old 03-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #39
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Kicking Television - Wilco. badddddddaaassss....my favorite band.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #40
fluid.forty.one

Just picked up Vince Gill's 4-CD box set "These Days"

Pretty good so far. Most people who know him, know he's a great singer... but he's an AWESOME guitar player too.

Tags
<clutch tagging>, got a bit fluffy in here