Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-12-2001, 03:51 PM   #1
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

why can michael finley hit 25-30 foot three pointers but not hit the ones from just behind the line?
it's amazing..he has great range, but has a poor three point percentage. most of his threes that he takes are open looks also, so i'm just curious to see if anyone knows why he has (overall) struggled from behind the three point line this year?Text
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2001, 03:58 PM   #2
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

As we've seen in the past few games, he takes a good number of three pointers at the buzzer. Which means a good number of his threes are under duress and rushed shots. Luckily for him the past three games, he's actually hit those three pointers, where he's actually missed a lot of those during the season. That's why his three point percentage is down.

The KID HAS SPOKEN!!!
Old 04-12-2001, 04:04 PM   #3
LAM0015
Banned

no, kid, it's not.
the majority of his threes aren't under duress. he has hit a very low percentage of his threes. dirk has also taken alot of threes at the buzzer this year...there was a period this year where he finished three straight quarters with akward threes at the buzzer.

I'm looking for a good answer...try again.
Old 04-12-2001, 04:45 PM   #4
TheKid
Diamond Member

I'm not saying with someone on him, I'm saying like with the clock winding down or trying to catch up or at the end of the half. He does, look in the last two games, of the 8 or 9 three pointers he's taken 5 of them were like that. That's what I'm saying.
Old 04-12-2001, 05:24 PM   #5
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

That's true. He's not like other players who won't take the desparation shot because they don't want it to hurt their stats. Finley will launch the ball from ANYWHERE on the court just for a prayer that it might go in. That does hurt his stats no matter what you think LAM. But he does seem to be a much better three-point shooter under pressure. I think when he takes the threes early in the game he is too open and thinks about it. He does much better with the clock running down when he just catches and shoots with out thinking.
Old 04-13-2001, 10:51 AM   #6
LAM0015
Banned

you're a dumbass if you think that dirk hasn't taken as many or almost as many of those shots with time running out or from beyond half court as finley has.
Old 04-13-2001, 11:44 PM   #7
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but did I say anything about Dirk? I was talking about Finley and didn't make any comparisons except to those that are constantly worried about stats.

What an idiot!
Old 04-14-2001, 12:28 AM   #8
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

LAM-O, why are you so anti-Finley?? The Kid and Tiger had valid points and you just dismissed them for no reason.
Old 04-14-2001, 09:42 AM   #9
LAM0015
Banned

it's ok..but they didn't have valid points.
if they had a valid point, it was something that i had previously said. if i hadn't previously said it..then it wasn't a valid point because i would have said it if it was valid
Old 04-16-2001, 09:50 AM   #10
TheKid
Diamond Member

What an arrogant ass!
Old 04-16-2001, 02:00 PM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Fin sure was jacking them up last night...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 03:52 PM   #12
LAM0015
Banned

yes, he was.
i'm glad he's finally gotten hot....he's been huge for the mavs recently. it's really about time he's exhibited some of the leadership that everyone has been saying he has.
Old 04-19-2001, 07:10 PM   #13
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Lam, did you ask finley for some sex and he deny you or something? you've got a pretty juvinile grudge againts him. You need to get whatever crawled up your ass out of there, because this is Finley's team and Finley 's show this year, sinner.
Old 04-19-2001, 09:07 PM   #14
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

LAM if you were a real Mavs fan you wouldn't have such a personal grudge against Fin.
Old 04-20-2001, 09:56 AM   #15
LAM0015
Banned

it's not finley's show...but he may be the slightly biggest act...barely. my only grudge against finley is that half of the morons that post on here cannot think on their own...cannot see when someone does something that detracts from the team.... that they are so blinded by their loyalty that when finley's play is actually hurting the team at times, they fail to see it.
yes, i think finley is a very good player...and i've probably said that 50 times since i've been posting here...but i also think that he wasn't playing anywhere near his capabilities for a good part of the season and that his poor shot selection and shotty defense was actually hurting the mavs.
yes, he did pick up his play significantly towards the end of the season, i admit that. i have no problem with admitting that. It's not me that has the problem admitting that finley has played some extraordinary basketball recently. it's the majority of the morons that post here that won't admit that his poor shot selection was actually hurting the mavs for a good part of the season
Old 04-20-2001, 10:40 AM   #16
LAM0015
Banned

if you were an open minded sports fan, your ass wouldn't be permanently attached to the many other asses that are attached to finley's ass
Old 04-20-2001, 10:52 AM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

Lam, you're right at times you have said Finley is a "solid player", however the funny part is you keep saying he did things to hurt the team this year. He made bad decisions at different points in the game, but EVERY player does that at one time or another. The team finished with the best record in A LLOOOONNGGG time. They've been near the top of their division all year and have played at a high level all year, so how was he hurting the team. That's what I'm trying to figure out. UNLESS you're saying he made poor decisions at times throughout the year, fine, I'll accept that. However I'll say this, Kobe makes bad decisions ALL THE TIME, and guess what, his bad decisions helped them get a championship last year too. So you overlook those things when the team is doing well. If he does more good for the team then bad, you just hope he learns from the mistakes which OBVIOUSLY he has. Realize this, he had to take a lessor role this year so that other people could emerge. Did you ever think that's why his numbers were down in all aspects. A lot of the time during the season, since everyone else was doing well he sat back and let them do their thing. (This is the same guy that you proclaimed is selfish nonetheless) He let Dirk emerge and Nash emerge. He decided not to take shots away from them, but to let them build their confidence. If you paid close attention, throughout the season when they needed him, he stepped up, ALWAYS!!!!! So I'm not feeling where you're coming from at all. Yes this is MY OWN opinion I have formed also. Now this is MY opinion, and I disagree with yours. Your opinion is he played poorly for a large portion of the season, my opinion is he wasn't as aggressive for the better of the team! Call it what you want, I call it how I see it. That's how I see it and I know this, for you and anyone who thinks Finley played not up to his level this year, I'll remind you all, THEY ENDED THE SEASON WITH 53 WINS, SO HOW COULD YOU NOT SEE HOWEVER HE PLAYED HELPED THE TEAM!!!!!
Old 04-20-2001, 11:01 AM   #18
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

of course lam knows the dog helped the team, but he also has valid points about him hurting the team sometimes. Beleive me, I used to argue with Lam non-stop, and even wanted to kick his ass regarding this topic. But he got me to watch the games objectively, and I too saw what he sees. Yes, they have a great record, but it could of been even better...

Who here is sick of Fin dribbling out the clock and shooting a fadeaway every time the quarter is coming to an end? Other players need experience taking the final shot, so they don't choke when given an opportunity (see Dirk in last game vs. Sonics)... All in all, the dawg is a solid player. Not a superstar, but not a scrub either.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 12:24 PM   #19
LAM0015
Banned

kid, i realize he helped the team in alot of ways...but their are a few ways that he hurts the team at times..and a few ways that he needs to improve....much the same dirk and nash need to improve certain aspects of their games

I NEVER SAID THAT OVERALL, FINLEY HURTS THE MAVS.....NEVER. HE'S A VERY GOOD PLAYER THAT COULD BE GREAT IF HE IMPROVED CERTAIN PARTS OF HIS GAME..BETTER SHOT SELECTION, BETTER DEFENSE (EVEN THOUGH HE HAS A GOOD AMOUNT OF STEALS, HE SEEMS DISINTERESTED AT TIMES ON THE DEFENSIVE END).

obviously, you must agree that finley has parts of his game that are below average.... he doesn't do everything great. but, he could, if.....
Old 04-20-2001, 01:20 PM   #20
TheKid
Diamond Member

Now we're nitpicking, truly we are. Yeah if he doesn't run the clock down at the end of a quarter we could do etc. etc. For starters, do you think that's his choice or Nellie's choice to put the ball in his hands? When he gets the ball and holds it don't you think he's instructed to do that. So your beef should with Nellie not Finley. NOW if they've won 53 games and lost 29, obviously it hasn't hurt the team as much as you all think or say. So you're saying we could have won more games. The team has improved from a 40 win season to a 50 win season and now we're bitching saying they should have won more!!!! It's amazing that we want to look to FIN for his mistakes and point out the faults and his contributions to the teams losses, but point to Bradley, Nash and Dirk??? I wonder why that is, it sounds to me like someone has an axe to grind with Finley. The same type of beefs people had with with Pippen. When the Bulls did great, it was how GREAT Jordan was. When they lost, it was because PIPPEN couldn't step up. It's the same type of double standard in this case!!!
Old 04-20-2001, 01:44 PM   #21
TheKid
Diamond Member

I meant to say we point to Bradley, Dirk and Nash for the teams success.
Old 04-20-2001, 02:25 PM   #22
LAM0015
Banned

i'm sorry that you don't like criticism.... but i have also pointed out on several occasions things that he does that are beneficial to the teams success as well.
it's not my fault your lips are pressed so tightly against his ass that you get so upset if anyone criticizes anything that finley does. you're not the only one that does, so don't feel bad...you can take solace in the fact that several other lips are pressed against his ass as well.
Old 04-20-2001, 02:42 PM   #23
TheKid
Diamond Member

Lamchop, speaking of asses you're really showing yours right now, and it smells pretty damn bad. No one said anything about NOT LIKING criticism, I said what YOU give is NOT constructive criticism. You're TRYING to say he's a detriment to the team. You've been on record to say he's SELFISH and if he doesn't stop he's going to ruin the team. Now that's different from criticising him, you're saying he's going to ruin the team!!!! You've back tracked so many times it's amazing. Once I thought what you had to say was valid, but you comments (or meaningless babble) mean nothing to me anymore!
Old 04-20-2001, 03:10 PM   #24
LAM0015
Banned

yes, i do think finley is selfish at times..but i think he's doing a much better job now.
i don't think i really care too much about what you think
yes, i do think certain parts of his game are detrimental to the mavs...but, like we've both said, that can be said about every player in the NBA.
i'm simply pointing out what it will truly take for finley to remain the top player on the team and what it'll take for him to be great.
but, until that time, there's a bunch of lips attached to his very good basketball playin' ass.
and, sorry, one of the pairs of lips is not mine
Old 04-20-2001, 05:48 PM   #25
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Tony Dumas Skull

The Skull of Tony Dumas says, "LAM is right. Dump the zero and get with the hero! Finley shouldn't be shooting no threes... Finley's afraid to drive to the rack... Now you know I'm not afraid to drive on my man... Bring back me, Tony D! I still got game, and I'll drive the lane all day long... By the way, can I borrow a dollar man? I just want to buy something to eat... I'm so hungry man, give me a break... "
Old 04-20-2001, 10:52 PM   #26
scooterj5
Golden Member

I can think on my own you jackass. On this issue, my views might agree with the masses, does that make it a brainless view?

Do you think that it's bad to steal off old people??? Well by your definition you can't think for yourself because you agree with everyone else.

Why do you begrudge Finley because people like him?? Is it jealousy?? Your logic is so poor. Why aren't you angry at the 'stupid' fans and not Fin? Or maybe you are the stupid fan.

Your argument of Finley hurting us is stupid as well. You are only looking at missed shots, so you must think everybody is hurting their team. Perhaps you think Finley should just dribble down the shot clock so he doesn't miss anything. If Finley wasn't busy 'hurting' the team playing 42 minutes a game, playing defence, scoring, passing, rebounding and stealing, then perhaps we could have won 80, maybe 90 games. We won a helluva lot, if you were a Mavs fan, then you would be very happy with this year.

Old 04-20-2001, 10:56 PM   #27
scooterj5
Golden Member

HAAAAAAAAAHAA that Tony Dumas thing was funny
Old 04-20-2001, 11:05 PM   #28
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

hahaha...well said![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2001, 12:56 AM   #29
LAM0015
Banned

do you not pay any attention to postings other than where there is something negative said? what about the numberous positives?
and you're an idiot if you think that finley doesn't hurt the mavs at all at times.
damn, get a clue. every player hurts their teams at times. every player has a certain aspect to their game that needs to be improved to better help their club.
why the hell is it so hard for you to see that?
why can't you also read the positives and see that i'm saying that finley does alot of things really well...but he has the talent to be a top 7-8 player if he would work on just a couple of other things that would make him a great player
what the hell is so hard to understand about that?
what the hell is so hard to understand when someone says that all players may have a certain part of their game that is weaker than others? I hate to tell you this, but no player is dominant in every single aspect of their game.
Old 04-21-2001, 02:56 AM   #30
scooterj5
Golden Member

Ok, you did not answer the questions I asked you...

1. Do you think that it's bad to steal off old people??? Well by yourdefinition you can't think for yourself because you agree with everyone else.

2. Why do you begrudge Finley because people like him?? Is it jealousy?? Your logic is so poor. Why aren't you angry at the 'stupid' fans and not Fin?

Anyway...

I believe that Finley does hurt the team when he misses shots, but you have to look at averages to see if someone is helping or not. I'm saying that he's not perfect but get off his ass because he helps this team more than anyone. I can think of examples when he has by himself been responsible for wins. Like the amazing buzzer beaters against Orlando and San Antonio. Neither of which have been 'recenty.'

If every player has aspects that need to improve, why do you constantly harp on Finley, who actually has the least ground to make??? GET OVER IT, FINLEY MISSES SOME SHOTS.

By the way, for someone who is so proud of his objectivity, you are very emotional and volatile. For example, you asked someone why they are making personal attacks and then you go on about how you think everyone is stupid and loves Finley. You seem to be able to make wild personal accusations, and then cower like a little girl when someone says something about you.
Old 04-21-2001, 08:33 AM   #31
LAM0015
Banned

you're not the brightest one, i must give you that.
i've said repeatedly that finley takes too many low percentage shots when other people may be open. and i've also said repeatedly that finley does alot of positives for the team as well. i think you have a problem with reading or something, because you really do fail to read posts. learn to read a little better, and get back with me
Old 04-21-2001, 10:10 AM   #32
LAM0015
Banned

i didn't say that because you agree with what the majority of the people say, that you don't think for yourself.

that's your problem, you try and misconstrue what i'm saying so that you can make your point. well, it doesn't work. You obviously do not read the entire post or you would know what i say. yes, i have said that finley, at times is detrimental to the mavs because of his shot selection. but i've also said that overall, he's a very good player...and i've said that he's the mavs mvp this year.
can you not put 1+1+1 together?
yes, everyone's play is detrimental to a team at times. and where finley is usually detrimental to the mavs is when he uses poor judgement by taking low percentage shots. and i've also said that he's doing a much better job of not doing that recently. if you think i'm being overly critical of the guy, why don't you also read the part of the post to where i'm saying positive things about him?
Old 04-21-2001, 12:52 PM   #33
TheKid
Diamond Member

Lam, your lips wouldn't be attached to Fin's ass because it's attached to Dirk's. I've read all of your posts and I've come to a conclusion. You talk in circles. You say something VERY NEGATIVE about someone, then someone posts their opinion how they disagree with you, then you start saying to people, "you're not so bright." etc. etc. etc. Which is getting very old by the way.

Now you voice your opinion and think it's gospel, while other voice their opinion that disagrees with yours then you start your backtracking. "I said he was a good player, BUT...." You don't even listen to yourself. My question to you is do YOU READ your post? You say, "Dirk can improve on defense but..." Then you give all these reasons why he's great. Then you say, "Finley is solid but...." Then you give all these reasons why in your eyes he's a good player at best!!! It's obvious you don't like him and that's a shame because the fact is whether you like him or not, He is the man on this team. You can say I'm kissing his ass all you want, but it's the truth, he is the man. This team will go as he goes, bottom line. If he plays well, the Mavs win, if he doesn't then everyone else has to step up big in order for the team to win. That is a FACT. Like it or not. You don't have to agree with me, but I SURE as hell don't agree with you.
Old 04-21-2001, 03:57 PM   #34
scooterj5
Golden Member

I am the brightest one out of us. I know that. I do not constantly contradict myself. I do read your posts, and this is what I get... you hate Michael FInley and his fans. Sometimes you think Finley sucks, sometimes you think he's good.

Old 04-21-2001, 04:18 PM   #35
scooterj5
Golden Member

Hey LAM, who said this stuff, was it you??

"But, since Finley is a team guy, I do believe he will sign a long term deal with the Mavs. He wants to win and he loves it here."

and then,

"Hey..no big deal.. i just wanted dirk to win the scoring title with the mavs...

i guarantee that finley cares though. he's too selfish of a player to not care"

Old 04-21-2001, 04:40 PM   #36
scooterj5
Golden Member

Or what about this one?

"crippler, it might be a good idea for you to let go of some of the personal issues that you are bringing to the forum. i understand that you are bitter for some reason, but can we just talk basketball?"

and then

"morons that post on here"

and

"your opinions aren't very good. you need to work on them a bit before you post your thoughts."
Old 04-21-2001, 04:53 PM   #37
scooterj5
Golden Member

Yeah you're reaaaaal smart aren'tcha?
Old 04-22-2001, 09:44 PM   #38
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

hahaha...I love it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2001, 10:07 PM   #39
Jordan23TX

Jordan23TX is on a distinguished road

LOL ... I don't know what possessed me to bother looking at a thread that was created by LAME...... But I did ..........an its filled with generalizations & rhetoric. If you want to disect Finley's shot selection.........then fine ....But w/o Finley they are nowhere near in the position they are in. From what I've read your quick to pass the mantle of the Mavs over to Dirk ....But if you ask him... he doesnt want it ......He's very comfy shooting over PF's who dont want to go out & guard him. Also, he gets lit into by opposing SF when the Mavs like to go big with Howard at PF, Bradley at C.....& Dirk at SF. If you recall LAME Finley played SF until the Howard trade.....Eisley was the SG...therefore Finley was playing against bigger & stronger guys at SF. Which lead to a more perimeter game from FIN. Which despite that he was selected by the Western Conf Coach to the all-star team. Since the trade he has been playing just great....Bash Him, Trash Him....but bottomline: As Finley goes, the Mavs go...
Old 04-22-2001, 10:43 PM   #40
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

i second that. LAM something about the way you talk gives me a perfect picture of how you function in society, but no one asked me
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote