Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-22-2008, 11:14 PM   #401
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I like the fact that Ben knew exactly who Miles and co. are working for...and there was more than a little fear there.

season 4 is so...SO strong!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #402
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta say, I had lost interest in this show at the end of season 2/beginning of season 3. But the end of season 3 was fairly strong and it got me to watch the start of season 4.

The flash forwards have absolutely saved this show. They are giving the story a sort of forward momentum that it hasn't had since the first season. I give immense props to JJ Abrams and the rest of the guys for realizing that the flash-backs were no longer moving the story forward. That moment in the season 3 finale where Kate meets with Jack and you realize it's a flash forward is one of the more powerful moments in television history, IMO.

Of course, the entire shift to flash forwards was facilitated by them figuring out how many more episodes they would do. This show is so much better now that the end is in sight and they aren't just dragging things out from week to week, clearly not having any idea where the story is going (i.e. the end of season 2/beginning of 3).

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-23-2008 at 02:57 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #403
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I gotta say, I had lost interest in this show at the end of season 2/beginning of season 3. But the end of season 3 was fairly strong and it got me to watch the start of season 4.

The flash forwards have absolutely saved this show. They are giving the story a sort of forward momentum that it hasn't had since the first season. I give immense props to JJ Abrams and the rest of the guys for realizing that the flash-backs were no longer moving the story forward. That moment in the season 3 finale where Kate meets with Jack and you realize it's a flash forward is one of the more powerful moments in television history, IMO.

Of course, the entire shift to flash forwards was facilitated by them figuring out how many more episodes they would do. This show is so much better now that the end is in sight and they aren't just dragging things out from week to week, clearly not having any idea where the story is going (i.e. the end of season 2/beginning of 3).
I agree, dubby, the end of season 3 was very strong and season 4 has picked up steam from there!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #404
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

While I certainly like the fact that we're not getting filler episodes anymore, I don't know about you guys, but I certainly wouldn't mind them slowing down a little bit. One thing that's made LOST such a great show for me is how well you get to know the characters, and at this point, with an end date, they're going full force with the plot and we don't get any episodes where we, say, learn an interesting story about Sayid and this lady with a cat. While some of those were admittedly useless, I wouldn't be opposed to episodes meant for character development and character development alone.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #405
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
While I certainly like the fact that we're not getting filler episodes anymore, I don't know about you guys, but I certainly wouldn't mind them slowing down a little bit. One thing that's made LOST such a great show for me is how well you get to know the characters, and at this point, with an end date, they're going full force with the plot and we don't get any episodes where we, say, learn an interesting story about Sayid and this lady with a cat. While some of those were admittedly useless, I wouldn't be opposed to episodes meant for character development and character development alone.
I'm sure we'll get more character driven episodes...but it will be more focused on the characters who are vitally important to the end of the show.

personally I like that they are shooting forward...they still have many twists and turns ahead for us...but it is actually moving along.

I just hope I get to know what the monster is before all this is said and done....it would a cool move but I would hate it if they just left the monster an eternal mystery.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #406
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

No complaints from me. The character development will be had from some of the newer people, but as far as Jack and Locke and Sayid and Sawyer go...what else is there to know?

We will have some flashbacks coming up. I think that some Ben flashbacks are in order, and will happen before the end of this season or next.

But they are kicking some serious arse this season....it is so genius.

It's like (I'm sorry sike but I have to say this) the Harry Potter books. Sure the first few books are good, but when they really got going towards the end of book 4, she really put the pedal to the metal, and it feels like the same thing here.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #407
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

The end of ep. 4 was SICK.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #408
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
I actually pretty much hated those episodes after Season 1. There's only so much you want to know about a character. They had gotten to the point where the flashbacks were just being used to fill space in the episode.

The characters will continue to be developed through their present actions, but once you're over halfway through a story arc, it's hard to keep giving detailed back story on everyone. There comes a point where the backstory needs to be completely subordinated to the present story.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-24-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #409
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

What the @$#% is the significance of the name "Eric"??!!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #410
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

or did she say "Aaron"??!!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #411
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

When Kate was picking up her "son"?

She said Aaron.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 AM   #412
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

xerxes, seriously? you've got to be joking. Eric? get your ears checked, bud.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #413
XERXES
Diamond Member

you know what? i am so special ed. in over 3300 posts on this board those were (argueably) my worst two. ive been snowboarding for 5 days and i just got to watch the last episode last night. i couldnt wait to wake up and see what you guys said about it- totally forgetting that y'all watched it 5days ago. im an idiot. ive since read everyone's comments and am hereby placing myself on "double-secret LOST thread probation."

i am a failure to my friends, family, and more importantly, you guys.

Last edited by XERXES; 02-25-2008 at 10:56 AM.
XERXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #414
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

you know what, though - i post on another board where people were throwing out all kinds of stupid stuff, including the Eric thing. So you're not the only one who needs his ears checked. But you're normally with it, so I didn't get too harsh on you.

"Who is Eric?"
"Who is Aaron? What is that name?"
"Jack doesn't like the kid cause it's sawyer's kid."

um, are we all watching the same show?

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-25-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 PM   #415
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

What is going on right now in this thread?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #416
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

We're shunning Xerxes until further notice.

"Shun"

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #417
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Unshun:

xerxes, you're an idiot!!!

Re-Shun.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #418
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco

It's like (I'm sorry sike but I have to say this) the Harry Potter books.
so sweat...I actually came around and read all of the books in about a month...very solid though I didn't like the last few chapters of the TDH. Just punked Voldemort too much.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #419
sike
The Preacha

Un-Shun: "Sexy, how could you?!"

Re-Shun

Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #420
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this means Claire dies...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 02-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #421
sike
The Preacha

why "Eggtown"? because Locke cooks the last two eggs at the very beginning or am I missing something?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #422
XERXES
Diamond Member

"un-shun myself"

i wondered the same thing. evidently kate's fertility, or lack thereof, was the central plotline. but good catch on locke frying the eggs.

"re-shun"
Old 02-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #423
sike
The Preacha

Un-Shun
don't try to butter me up!
Re-Shun!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #424
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Un-shun
I think we should also shun Flacolaco.....
re-shun...

Un-shun
Almost forgot..... Eggtown was the name of the city that Kate was on trial in? Just a guess? I fail. Maybe you should shun me too.
Re-shun
Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #425
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
I wonder if this means Claire dies...
This is the question. This is a very good question.
Read my post on the last page about the list I made, and who else might get off or die.
I have Claire, Sun, and Jin in a pool of people who possibly either get off the island, or die soon.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #426
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

The closest to "eggtown" I could find in the US is "Egg Harbor Twp, NJ". So I was obviously wrong (don't be too shocked). I am certain they were in California.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #427
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Ahhhhh now..... here's something:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostpedia
Egg-town is a pejorative term that refers to the days of bartering, during the Great Depression. A traveling salesman would have to barter his candy or tobacco or shoelaces for different commodities. A poor exchange would be for eggs, a relatively common item that is also highly perishable. Nobody wants to trade for eggs from a traveling salesman because they have their own, so the salesman who accepted an egg in exchange was forced to accept a bad deal. Salesmen would use the term like "If I were you I would stay away from Bogart. That's an egg-town." Of course, the lack of trust among salesman was also high, and it was likely that one salesman would lie to another about the quality of a town's customers to keep them for himself. Invariably, the second salesman ventures into Bogart only to find it is truly an egg-town. He is either persuaded to not visit a town that has good customers or is tricked into visiting a town that can only offer eggs. The term "egg-town" represents a deal with undesirable outcomes in either case.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #428
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Some have made much of the fact that the defense attorney was adamant about Kate not leaving the state. They suggest that the attorney was acting on someones behalf that doesn't want Kate going back to the island.

We know in the future that Jack is trying to get back to the island but can't. It has been theorized that they will all have to go back together. I think this is a good theory.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #429
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
We know in the future that Jack is trying to get back to the island but can't. It has been theorized that they will all have to go back together. I think this is a good theory.
"we have to go back" has been the common theme of those wanting to get there...

great stuff U2 on eggtown. So was the deal with poor results Kate's deal with the D.A. or Kate's deal will Miles....or Miles's deal with Ben???

Old 02-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #430
XERXES
Diamond Member

un-shun myself

i wouldnt be surpised if season 4 ends with everybody trying to make it back to the island and the cliff-hanger being whether or not they succeed. its possible that very little of the storyline at the end of this season could take place on the island. you heard it here first.

re-shun
Old 02-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #431
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by XERXES
un-shun myself

i wouldnt be surpised if season 4 ends with everybody trying to make it back to the island and the cliff-hanger being whether or not they succeed. its possible that very little of the storyline at the end of this season could take place on the island. you heard it here first.

re-shun
what is the monster???!!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #432
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Ok here's one for you. When Miles was talking to Ben...he says exactly 3.2 million dollars, and then Ben says "why not 3.3 or 3.4?" (forgive me if someone said this already)

But what if that very specific, weird amount of money was a code between Ben and Miles? Maybe Miles is the mole? Is that why he said "I'm exactly where I want to be?"

I don't think so. I think he really is (at least for now) motivated by money. But it's an interesting theory. I read it on darkufo.blogspot.com
Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM   #433
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Ok here's one for you. When Miles was talking to Ben...he says exactly 3.2 million dollars, and then Ben says "why not 3.3 or 3.4?" (forgive me if someone said this already)

But what if that very specific, weird amount of money was a code between Ben and Miles? Maybe Miles is the mole? Is that why he said "I'm exactly where I want to be?"

I don't think so. I think he really is (at least for now) motivated by money. But it's an interesting theory. I read it on darkufo.blogspot.com
I'm sure it will come down to something that Miles wants that costs that amount.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #434
LonghornDub

Quote:
Some have made much of the fact that the defense attorney was adamant about Kate not leaving the state. They suggest that the attorney was acting on someones behalf that doesn't want Kate going back to the island.

I think the second part there is a solid theory, but I doubt the prosecutor's (it was the prosecutor, FYI, not the defense attorney) settlement demands had anything to do with it. That's a pretty typical provision in a settlement agreement for someone accused of a felony.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #435
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I think the second part there is a solid theory, but I doubt the prosecutor's (it was the prosecutor, FYI, not the defense attorney) settlement demands had anything to do with it. That's a pretty typical provision in a settlement agreement for someone accused of a felony.
look at Dub flaunting his knowledge of felony restrictions...

had a couple yourself, eh?

Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #436
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think Kate's willingness to accept the terms with such ease suggests that--she does in fact have to go back to the island, but she doesn't want to.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:11 PM   #437
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:

Yeah, heard that theory on a podcast. Though I guess it's plausible, I kind of hope it's not true.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #438
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
xerxes, seriously? you've got to be joking. Eric? get your ears checked, bud.
I thought she said Eric too....and I listened to it twice....

....then again, I thought Naomi only spoke italian when she first hit the island....

I'm shunning myself.

re-shun.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #439
XERXES
Diamond Member

un-shun myself

i thought 3.2million was a weird number. and if ben has the power and pull that we think he might have it seems like that number might be pretty low.

re-shun
Old 02-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #440
sike
The Preacha

one thing is for sure...its no random number....