Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-11-2004, 11:46 PM   #121
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Official Mavs at Golden State Game day Thread

I like for Daniels to be confident and aggressive, but there are times when he catches the ball that you can see the "shooter's blinders" from the upper deck of the arena. You know the shot is going up, regardless of how the defense reacts.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:47 PM   #122
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
I like the fact that Daniels shoots a lot. Most of his shot are right near the rim or wide open jumpers. And his percentage is close to 50% most nights. Daniels would be much worse if he was tentative.
The Mavs only need one volume shooter and that's Dirk. NOBODY else should shoot over 20 times unless they are totally on fire. 9-25 is NOT on fire.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:48 PM   #123
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Official Mavs at Golden State Game day Thread

I believe Daniels will learn when to shoot and when not too. It's a shame his shooting too much was part of the problem tonight.

Nash missed a gimme. The Mavs were fortunate to get another shot at winning the game. It's not just the turnovers by Dirk, it's that he passed up 2 chances to take the shot at the end. First, when Jamison got the rebound off the Nash miss and Dirk didn't stop/pop/shoot. He passed into traffic where Daniels was already under the basket. Then he gets the ball at the 3 point line and should have shot right over the defender. Instead he dribbles and is cut off and barely manages to get the ball tapped out to Walker. Walker is not the person you want shooting the last shot, but hard to complain as he was wide open and it would have been risky to make an extra pass though Nash and Jamison were open on the left side, I believe.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #124
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk's TO's were a problem, and shouldn't be excused, but overall he still played a good game. 29 and 14 with crazy efficiency again. I can't get too mad at Marquis for that layup he missed, but overall he does need to look for other guys more, or the ball shouldn't be in his hands that much unless he's really hot (which he wasn't tonight). Give GS credit. They played hard all game to get the win. The Mavs still just don't look like they feel comfortable on the road yet. Hopefully a little home tonic on Tuesday will get them back on track, and these nagging injuries to Fin and JHo will get cleared up before the playoffs. I'm really throwing up my hands regarding playoff positioning - I don't care. I just want to see them go into the second season ready to dominate at home and just stay competitive on the road; give themselves a chance.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:06 AM   #125
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Dirk traveled on that last play so the Mavs were lucky to even get a shot off....

It seems like AW had a toe on the line because he wasn't credited with a 3 point attempt....if he was a few inches back that shot goes in....

they shoulda called a time out.......after their first setup play went awry....
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:08 AM   #126
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bookit
I like the fact that Daniels shoots a lot. Most of his shot are right near the rim or wide open jumpers. And his percentage is close to 50% most nights. Daniels would be much worse if he was tentative.
There is nothing wrong with aggressiveness. However, whenever you get into the lane and you don't have a good look, it's probably a good idea to pass the ball.

And yes, I know he's shot a good percentage. Any player that's playing alongside the big 3 should shoot a high percentage because of the number of open looks that they'll get. Why all the open looks? They're not remotely the focal point of the other team's defense. They should get plenty of easy layups and open jumpers.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:10 AM   #127
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: PubaNWO
Dirk traveled on that last play so the Mavs were lucky to even get a shot off....
and claxton traveled when he weaved through the lane a few possessions before

in the end, they all balance out
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:16 AM   #128
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

This is truly a Jekyll and Hyde team. Dominant at home, weak on the road. They'll have to win 1-2 games on the road in Round 1, or they'll be done early.

Speaking of Round 1, I truly hope we get the Lakers at this point. Bring on "the best"...
Old 04-12-2004, 12:19 AM   #129
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
This is truly a Jekyll and Hyde team. Dominant at home, weak on the road. They'll have to win 1-2 games on the road in Round 1, or they'll be done early.

Speaking of Round 1, I truly hope we get the Lakers at this point. Bring on "the best"...
Cuban wants the Lakers and >I< want the Lakers. F'em!
Old 04-12-2004, 12:21 AM   #130
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, i'm not sure the Lakers could slow down the Mavs offensively. But, the Mavs couldn't slow down the lakers either.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:23 AM   #131
PubaNWO

Lakers will slow themselves down.....

They don't like playing with one another.....
Old 04-12-2004, 12:23 AM   #132
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'm with you, Max. It's time to confront those demons, and either slay them or be devoured. No more hiding, Nellie.

Murph, you're right on both counts. It would be the same question as always with the Mavs: Can they stop the layups, and can they hang tough on the boards?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:43 AM   #133
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

This might need it's own thread, but my concern going against the Lakers is Nelson. Would he start a center (Fortson or Williams)? That would shift Walker back to sf and Finley back to the 2 spot. Or will he put Dirk there and use double teams?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:44 AM   #134
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

The good conversation is going on here and I was looking for a thread where I can express my views.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:45 AM   #135
Murphy3
Guru

The Mavs will probably start Walker.

On a side note, perhaps we're griping about Daniels' shot selection just a bit too much. Doesn't some of that have to fall on the head coach?
Old 04-12-2004, 12:47 AM   #136
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about playing the Lakers:

Call me a homer. Call me optimistic. I don't care. I do believe we can beat them. But we have one major hurdle. Nellie is going to believe we are underdogs. (The Mavs will be but the coach shouldn't "play up" the underdog role.) And Nellie will use the hack-a-shaq. And you can bet one thing on it. Shaq is shooting under 50% for the year. But if Nellie uses it and he will. It will backfire.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:47 AM   #137
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Mavs end 'terrible weekend' with loss to Warriors

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

OAKLAND, Calif. – If the Mavericks knew what is going to happen above them in the standings, the first thing they would do is head to Las Vegas.

It takes a psychic to figure out who's going to finish where among the top four in the Western Conference. And since the Mavericks had a tough enough time seeing the court on their lost weekend road trip, they won't try to see the future.

Instead, they'll try to lick their wounds after a 108-107 loss to Golden State Sunday evening at the Arena in Oakland. The Mavericks suffered six fourth-quarter turnovers, allowed the Warriors to make 12-of-19 shots in the period and basically panicked down the stretch.

The Mavericks played with more conviction than they had in a 20-point loss at Seattle Saturday. But the result was the same.

"It was a terrible weekend for us," said Steve Nash, who missed a layup during a 20-second final possession that could have won the game. "We haven't lost to Golden State in I don't know how long."

Since April 10, 1999, to be exact. The Mavericks won the last 20 meetings between the teams.

Antoine Walker had a chance to be the hero, but his 3-pointer just before the buzzer clanged off the back rim.

The road losses aren't the only things that mounted on this trip. Michael Finley missed his second game with sore ribs and Josh Howard left the game in the second quarter with a recurring strained gluteus muscle.

The injury has been called a hamstring issue, but Howard said it was his right gluteus.

"I don't know how it happened, but it keeps tightening up," Howard said. "I can play on it for a short amount of time. But I have trouble getting my body even because I'm favoring it."

The Mavericks seem unconcerned about Howard's injury, but he's had a number of games in which he's had to leave because it tightened up.

In addition, Antawn Jamison went down with a right ankle injury with 20.8 seconds left. Though he was able to limp off on his own and stayed in the game, he was in obvious pain.

Don Nelson said he was unwilling to criticize his team for the 0-2 road trip, which dropped them to 15-25 away from home.

"You can't judge it because we had one or two guys out for both games," he said. "We couldn't play small ball like we were."

Even with the loss, the Mavericks still could hang on to the fifth playoff seed. With Memphis also losing Sunday, the teams remain tied. The winner of Tuesday's meeting in Dallas will own the playoff tiebreaker and be the fifth seed.

Less certain is who would finish third and fourth in the West. Both Dallas and Memphis would prefer to avoid the Lakers, who likely will occupy either third or fourth when the dust settles.

"You can get a headache trying to figure out who's going to finish where," Nash said.

It was a headache watching the last few seconds against the Warriors. The Mavericks had lost a 95-91 lead when a Shawn Bradley block on Troy Murphy was ruled a foul and Bradley got a technical for arguing the call. That started a 14-6 Warrior run.

Still, the Mavericks had a chance at the end. But after Nash's layup missed, Jamison got the rebound. He got the ball to Dirk Nowitzki, who had 29 points and 14 rebounds. But after he almost lost the ball twice, he got it to Walker, who missed his trey.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:56 AM   #138
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

How was the last play, did Dirk fumble the ball and barely got it to Walker or did he just didn't wanna take the last shot? That would really piss me off if he didn't want to take the shot.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:58 AM   #139
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

n

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 02-15-2007 at 12:36 AM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:58 AM   #140
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: bernardos70
How was the last play, did Dirk fumble the ball and barely got it to Walker or did he just didn't wanna take the last shot? That would really piss me off if he didn't want to take the shot.
Dirk wanted the last shot, but his foot slipped out from under him while he making a spin to get an open jumper in the lane. He was able to tap the ball out to an open Walker who missed the shot.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:06 AM   #141
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A season ending sweep by the Lakers is right around the ben. Its over!
That pessimism is hardly justified if you ask me. Mavs have yet to find their rhythm on the road, but you can't deny that they've been terrific at home. Any team looking to sweep Dallas is going to have to go 2-0 in Dallas. That doesn't figure to be an easy task.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:04 AM   #142
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Poor Mandy. Not only did see not see Finley play, see had to watch that disaster.
aww, thanks for thinking of me. that just really sucked...first finley didn't play, and then we didn't win...and then i had to walk out of there with my face painted and listen to all these people jeering at me and telling me that the mavs suck. grr.

it was so painful having to watch the game there...all these people chanting defense so loud and you just want to tell them all to shut up. argh. the crowd was really out of it the whole game until robinson hit that three to tie, and then i guess everyone realized it, and they were really loud for the rest of the game...the mavs seemed to panic when the crowd started with all the defense chants. that last play was so painful...we had so many chances, and i so thought we were going to make a shot...even that walker shot looked good from where i was sitting.

so i guess howard injured his hammy? what happened to fortson...he never played, but he wasn't on the bench after halftime. maybe he wasn't on the bench before either, but after halftime when howard wasn't there, our bench was incredibly empty...only had three people on it.

anyways, after the game, i waited for the players to come out to see if i could get a few autographs. most weren't signing, but i got shawn's (and he recognized me from when i sat courtside...that was cool!). then dirk came over and signed something for the guy standing next to me, and he had made eye contact with me and my painted face, and i was so sure that he was going to sign my basketball next, but then this big guy tried to run through me to get an autograph, causing me to run into the wall that separates from the players and drop the ball over the wall, where it proceeds to roll around...long story short, i didn't get dirk's autograph, but fortunately i did get the ball back. shawn picked it up, started signing it again, realized he had already signed it, and then brought it back to me. haha, i love shawn.

oh, and travis best was hilarious...he didn't get on the bus but walked out to a car i guess, so he had to actually walk through fans instead of being separated by a gate/wall...and with him he had three hot blond girls...he was so funny. when people were asking for his autographs, he was like "no, i can't keep these ladies waiting." haha.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:31 AM   #143
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

AT least you didn't have a horrible date with a 5' GS fan, Miss Mandy...Look on the bright side [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #144
PubaNWO

If the Mavs can play this hard on the road in the playoffs instead of the game they churned out against the Sonics.......then they could win one or two on the road.

All they have to do is hit their dang layups!!!!

And continue to take care of the ball....the turnovers are not like this team.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:27 PM   #145
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Dirk wanted the last shot, but his foot slipped out from under him while he making a spin to get an open jumper in the lane. He was able to tap the ball out to an open Walker who missed the shot.
I noticied quite a few slips in the last few minutes of the game. Nash slipped when getting back on defense. Jamison slipped when going for a rebound, and Dirk slipped right before he could take a last second shot.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:51 PM   #146
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He had to pass the ball to Walker after he slipped while making a pivot move. What pissed me off is when he tried to force a pass to Marquis Daniels before that. The defense was out of shorts after the Nash miss, and Dirk had a pretty good look from about 15 or 16 feet. He has to take that shot. After that it was just pure luck that we got a couple of more opportunities.

That last possession was truly a comedy of errors and proves that for some reason, this team just doesn’t have the same swagger when it comes to believing it will win close games. Lat year if the score was tied with less than two minutes left, I always thought we would win the game. This year I'm not sure about home games and I feel we're going to lose close road games. For some unknown reason, the big three hasn't stepped up in the clutch like they have the past two seasons and it's going to cost us HCA in the playoffs.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:46 PM   #147
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Wow, it's quiet in here.

No expressions of disgust, no primal scream, no cries for Nellie's fat ass.

Whattsa matter peoples? Don't you care anymore? Was no one surprised? Has everyone just come to expect this kind of sin-cojones performance, such that when it happens now no one raises a whimper?

I know it's happened recently to both the Kings and the Lakers, but damn if the Mavericks don't seem to have way more than their share of these listless stinkers.

Colegas, this is the doldrums.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:57 PM   #148
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Eh, it was fun to watch at least.

I don't know about you guys, but I am starting to develop a conspiracy theory. That no-call on the Dirk drive, followed by the call on the clean Bradley block...that was just sick.

And then I SWEAR that the ref tossed the ball to the Warriors player on that jump ball with Daniels. I'll have to go back and look at the tape again, but I thought it looked pretty obvious at first sight. Maybe he just made a bad toss...or maybe refs really DO favor the home teams.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:12 PM   #149
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: PubaNWO
If the Mavs can play this hard on the road in the playoffs instead of the game they churned out against the Sonics.......then they could win one or two on the road.

All they have to do is hit their dang layups!!!!

And continue to take care of the ball....the turnovers are not like this team.
You're right puba. At least the effort seemed to be there. They had their problems last night, but since it was on the road, it wasn't a bad start for them. If they can fix the few things that went wrong last night, they'll be a decent road contender and might be able to win a playoff series without HCA.

I think they just choke too much when the audience is chanting for them to lose. They just have to learn how to drone people out, and just act like they're playing at home, and they'll do fine.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #150
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Im going to put my index fingers in my ears and sing "la la la la la" and hold the moronic belief that we lost this game to stay even with the Grizz so we could put off deciding if we wanted to be 5th or 6th until Tuesday.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote