Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute
Default so let's say that golden state beats utah in the second round

(yeah yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll be doing it a lot in this thread so get ready)

and say they win even a COUPLE against SA. does that let dallas off the hook with the media? with you?

what if they (I hate to even put the idea out there) BEAT SA?

all the dirk/mavs bashing has been based around the fact that dallas lost in the FIRST round.. not just cause the lost. so if GS makes it to the conference finals and past SA, then who cares what round GS beat them in? they were bound to lose anyway.

I know this probably won't happen but it would be interesting to see how the media (and the bandwagon jumpers) would react to this.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #2
vjz

vjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nicevjz is just really nice

SA still has to beat PHX... but if they do, I fear for them. I am shocked, shocked at shooting ability of the Warriors. They seem impossible to beat at home. Unbelievably, it looks like they have a shot at the championship!
vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

What is all this SA talk? PHX is going to advance from that series. The only real question left in these playoffs is who do you like, Detroit or Golden State?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

F'em
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Dude, are you now a Utah fan?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
What is all this SA talk? PHX is going to advance from that series. The only real question left in these playoffs is who do you like, Detroit or Golden State?
I can’t help but think that you’re prognosticating with your heart. You were one of the first posters on the S.A. bandwagon when they started to turn it around and late in the season you said more than once that Dallas and the Spurs were a cut above everyone else in the league.

That obviously wasn’t the case with the Mavs but I don’t see where the Spurs or the Suns have done anything that should have drastically altered your opinion.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:26 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
I can’t help but think that you’re prognosticating with your heart. You were one of the first posters on the S.A. bandwagon when they started to turn it around and late in the season you said more than once that Dallas and the Spurs were a cut above everyone else in the league.

That obviously wasn’t the case with the Mavs but I don’t see where the Spurs or the Suns have done anything that should have drastically altered your opinion.
Ah...this is true. I saw those 5-1 odds on San Antonio and thought it was one hell of a value. And my mind told me that they should probably be the favorites in the conference, or at least tied with Dallas.

But the last couple weeks have turned my prognosticating world upside down. Now I'm wondering what the hell might happen.

I didn't say much about it at the time, but I got a feeling with a few weeks left in the season that something funny might happen in these playoffs. Now I'm thinking that Detroit might actually be the team to beat. That's crazy, considering all the ink the West has received all year.

As for the PHX/SAS series...I'm aware that SAS has the upper hand with their win on the road. Yet, I tend to think that home court doesn't mean a whole lot in that series. I still like the Suns to take it.

I'm not sure how Golden State will deal with Amare, but heaven knows that I'm sure looking forward to watching it.

These could be the most entertaining playoffs the NBA has seen in a long, long while.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:34 AM   #8
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

chum,

Yeah, if this keeps up, it might be as good as 05-06 was!!!

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
chum,

Yeah, if this keeps up, it might be as good as 05-06 was!!!
Good point.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:30 AM   #10
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

considering GS as an eighth seed is kinda weird. the team is completely different after that 8 player trade and after they got everyone healthy. they'd probably have been around a #4 seed if they had that team all year.their problem will be winning a game on the road, if they can do that they can go all the way, but they'll have to do it every series. the only team they have to fear is SA, they can run with the suns (that'll be some fun games if it comes to it- expect scores of 130 or more on both sides :-P). SA would rip them a new one though.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

I don't know who would wind up on top, but a Pheonix-Golden State WCF would be one of the most entertaining series one could watch and the best thing to happen to the NBA since Jordan left.

I still think that San Antonio is probably the best team in the West. I just have a feeling that Pheonix can take them. Now I'm thinking that it goes seven games and that Pheonix pulls it out at home. Utah is about to get their asses run over. I don't think they win another game. They might not even be able to finish a game within ten points of the Warriors. As for the Warriors vs. Suns? Well, if you had to force me to make a prediction, I'd say that this might be Nash's year. Nellie and the Warriors will have their shots later. Suns take them 4-1 and go on to take down Detroit in a sweep.

Last edited by Darth Ape; 05-12-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
These could be the most entertaining playoffs the NBA has seen in a long, long while.
No playoffs without the Mavs is more entertaining than a Mavs finals run. Sorry chum.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

You guys haven't really answered my question. If GS beats EVERYONE does that let the Mavs off the hook? Why is it okay for GS to beat SA or PHX in the WCF, but the mavs are chokers if they lose to GS (doesn't really matter which round if GS is the champs does it?)
Old 05-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #14
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

I want GS to go to WCF and face the SUNS..just imagine how much fun thta would be. NOw I am not sure who I want to win. I kinda want Nash to get a championship, but Nellie mite too...soo Idk

** Yee tht does let us of the hook, but not completely..i mean we still lost. GS is not a bad team.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 05-12-2007 at 01:01 PM.
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing lets us off the hook. We were the best team in the regular season and got knocked out in the first round, no matter who did it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 05-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Nothing lets us off the hook. We were the best team in the regular season and got knocked out in the first round, no matter who did it.
Bingo

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Off the hook probably isn't the phrase I'm looking for. Let's say... lessens the blow or something.

Let me put it in perspective. If GS wins the championship they are a championship caliber team. Lets say that tim duncan went down for the majority of the season and they dropped to an 8 seed. 20 games left, Duncan becomes healthy and he's all set by the playoffs. We are now facing a healthy championship caliber SA team in the first round, even though their record is an 8 seed. They go on to beat us and everyone else to win the title.

Is that really worse than losing to the same SA team in the WCF?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #18
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Off the hook probably isn't the phrase I'm looking for. Let's say... lessens the blow or something.

Let me put it in perspective. If GS wins the championship they are a championship caliber team. Lets say that tim duncan went down for the majority of the season and they dropped to an 8 seed. 20 games left, Duncan becomes healthy and he's all set by the playoffs. We are now facing a healthy championship caliber SA team in the first round, even though their record is an 8 seed. They go on to beat us and everyone else to win the title.

Is that really worse than losing to the same SA team in the WCF?
yes, it is worse. because it gives me less maverick basketball to watch..

edit: I see your point, but I dont like it. you might as well say its better to not even make it to the championship last year because dallas was beat by miami. and your point is dependent on Hindsight. looking back at a loss is easier than seeing it happen.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 05-12-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #19
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

dunno - not really i guess. in the end everyone but the championship team will be "losers". its just the way the playoffs work. funny statistic - there are four teams the warriors didnt lose against this season. aside from the "powerhouses" philadelphia and boston it is - as you know dallas. but guess who is #4. yep - its detroit. GS went 5-0 against the #1 west and the #1 east team combined. makes you wonder what would happen in case they make it to the finals.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

Lessons the blow yes. And if the scenario you are talking about occurred even more so. And although this is a GSW team that isn't a number 8 seed, that's beside the point. The mavs spent all year getting to be the best team in basketball.

But for whatever reason, the coach and the team slipped at the end. It cost 'em and there really isn't much of a way to rationalize it imo.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #21
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

or not
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote