Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 10-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default Trying to understand...

Okay, so I heard something on Friday talk radio, which was pretty funny...at least from my perspective.

Before I describe the event...I must explain why, in order to be politically correct and not labeled a racist...although these days, the label has lost it's negativity as it appears that EVERYONE is a racist...but that's another topic for another thread.

This particular piece utilized language from the left targeted at Obama...

The title was from an African-American columnist.

The piece was done in the voice of Al Sharpton and done to Liberal musical icon "Puff the Magic Dragon"

Once I understood the background of the piece, I was able to laugh...without the background, I would have reacted and believed the satire to be racist...but again, now that I understand this was all done from the left...I believe I am now allowed to laugh.

Unfortunatly I don't have a link...but the items I listed come from the Rush Limbaugh show...whom by the way has recently been endorsed by none other than Steven A Smith, as he support Rush' bid to buy the Rams and calls all players who claim that they wont play for Rush LIARS!!! That was pretty funny...now back to the bit...

Rush played a song that again used the words of liberals speaking out against Obama and then used the title that this African-American columnist used in LA about Obama...the title is "Obama the Magic Negro"

Again, at first I had to take a deep breath...but then I realized the humor was coming from the left...so I suppose this makes it okay...

Please help me understand...oh and the premise of the Obama Stab, and I paraphrase....is that Obama is not black enough...

If anyone has some links to all of this...please post so I and we can piece it all together.

If this is wrong and in poor taste, does that mean that the liberals who did this are wrong?

I'm just trying to understand.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Were you by any chance smoking crack before you started this thread?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

The dragon says you're a racist.

composer Peter Yarrow condemned the act as "shocking and saddening in the extreme," stating that "taking a children's song and twisting it in such vulgar, mean-spirited way, is a slur to our entire country and our common agreement to move beyond racism. . . . Puff, himself, if asked, would certainly agree."
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

it's not racist, but it is in bad taste (although a couple of the lines do bring a chuckle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxVk...=youtube_gdata
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #6
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog View Post
it's not racist, but it is in bad taste (although a couple of the lines do bring a chuckle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfxVk...=youtube_gdata
Agreed...it's in poor taste...but then again, there are quite a few Comedians, Entertainers, Politicians and others, who do things in poor taste, without them being a racist.

That, my friend, is a great distinction on your part...you actually helped me to understand.

I realize that I laugh at things that are in poor taste, but my opinions of others are NOT racially motivated. I don't hate someone because of their skin color...never have been a racist. I do however disagree with folks based on their views, but I'm also open to a better understanding.

So back to this song...my first reaction, before I knew more of the details, was that people are going to be angry and it will be racially charged. To some extent they still are, but understanding the background...I was able to get a chuckle and realize it was somewhat funny, but did not make me a racist.

I suppose if I where a racist, I would not be a sports fan. After all we have different races playing sports. If I where a racist, I would not be interested in government or any political party of merit. After all we have different races throughout our government and throughout the various parties of merit.

Now poor taste...this song is in the same level of poor taste as those couple of "Kids" video clips singing on the praises of Barack Hussein Obama.

Perhaps the "Poor Taste" definition is a way to beat the "Race" card, at least for the times it is used and abused in the wrong way.

Can we call racism when it actually is, and thus allow debate for instances of poor taste, without abusing or treating a person of poor taste as a racist?

Again, thanks for the feedback!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluff the tragic dragon, fluff x infinity, fluffy banter