Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-12-2023, 10:33 AM   #81
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I want to see Wood and Javale play together. Kinda weird when Sabonis is killing us inside and Javale is sitting. Sabonis is not an outside threat but Mavs didn?t put the right people to stop him. Refs also let Sabonis travel and set moving screens all night long. Wood should play over Powell. Powell is not an offensive threat outside the paint while Wood can bring out the center.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:36 AM   #82
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

The plan

THJ out a couple of weeks
Play more Green
Sign and play Barton

Defense is 2-5 pp100 better and we win games like this in regulation
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #83
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
I want to see Wood and Javale play together. Kinda weird when Sabonis is killing us inside and Javale is sitting. Sabonis is not an outside threat but Mavs didn?t put the right people to stop him. Refs also let Sabonis travel and set moving screens all night long. Wood should play over Powell. Powell is not an offensive threat outside the paint while Wood can bring out the center.
It's just bad coaching. Last three games, Kidd looked like a decent coach again. Luka comes back, and he slides into his old ways. Then people shine the spotlight on Luka (last shot was bad) when it's really the coaching that should criticized.

Yes, Wood should play and start over Powell, but the FO has somehow brainwashed fans into thinking Powell is better.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 10:52 AM   #84
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Powell?s defensive rotations and pick setting is much better than Wood?s. Wood obviously is the superior offensive player but he sets weak ass screens, and gets lost on defense. Either way both were getting cooked by Fox and Davis
Old 02-12-2023, 10:53 AM   #85
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

To sum it up, both are incomplete players who should be backups. I can see why Wood hasn?t stuck anywhere and why we couldn?t move him.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:31 PM   #86
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I do think the All Star break will benefit us more than most. We need to get healthy and give everyone a chance for reality to set in. I?m very interested in a Luka - Kyrie - Green - Maxi - Javale lineup.
I actually like the lineup with Bulock, Green and McGee

That 3rd QTR lineup after THJ went down and Powell was in foul trouble played terrific defense.

McGee didn't block any shots but contested everything in the paint and it caused some missed shots.

That is the biggest difference between him Powell with interior defense and McGee for some reason fits better with Kyrie.

Powell fits with Luka offensively, but I'd rather have the defense and active work on the boards by McGee. He clearly towers over Sabonis.

I'd hate to play Phoenix or LA in the playoffs and watch Powell allow Ayton and Zubac kill us in close games with offensive rebounds.

In fact most of the bigs out west in the Playoffs seem tailored made for McGee to start (Ayton, Zubac, Valcunas, Gobert, AD and Adams)
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:07 PM   #87
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I prefer Javale as he disrupts so much. Why can?t the Mavs play him and Wood together as 4 and 5? I think Luka, Kyrie, Josh or Bullock, Wood and Javale should start. Maxi replaces Javale when he?s healthy as he can hit threes too. People complain too much about Wood. I think the guy is terrific.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:19 PM   #88
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I prefer Javale as he disrupts so much. Why can?t the Mavs play him and Wood together as 4 and 5? I think Luka, Kyrie, Josh or Bullock, Wood and Javale should start. Maxi replaces Javale when he?s healthy as he can hit threes too. People complain too much about Wood. I think the guy is terrific.
Javale/Wood has failed so much we may not see it again. McGee is slow to rotate at his age and misses defensive assignments-- it's why he was unplayable in the playoffs last year for the Suns. If Wood wasn't a flamethrower offensively, he wouldn't get minutes for the same reason-- lack of lateral quickness, poor defensive decision-making, etc. Together, they could score and rebound (if there were misses to secure), but we would be lucky to get a single stop.

Kleber really appears to be the key to it all. Lineups with Kleber/Wood defended and rebounded well while seeing the benefit of Wood's defense. Sadly, it's the only 4/5 combo that worked with Wood because of how limited Powell and McGee are an how deficient Wood is at anchoring a defense/rebounding at a good enough level to play C.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 01:43 PM   #89
Simon2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Javale/Wood has failed so much we may not see it again. McGee is slow to rotate at his age and misses defensive assignments-- it's why he was unplayable in the playoffs last year for the Suns. If Wood wasn't a flamethrower offensively, he wouldn't get minutes for the same reason-- lack of lateral quickness, poor defensive decision-making, etc. Together, they could score and rebound (if there were misses to secure), but we would be lucky to get a single stop.

Kleber really appears to be the key to it all. Lineups with Kleber/Wood defended and rebounded well while seeing the benefit of Wood's defense. Sadly, it's the only 4/5 combo that worked with Wood because of how limited Powell and McGee are an how deficient Wood is at anchoring a defense/rebounding at a good enough level to play C.
I don?t see McGee or Wood as slow of foot. They aren?t as quick as Kyrie but they aren?t dinosaurs either. Remember that the Suns didn?t play Ayton either. Is he slow too? The Suns were trying to match size and it didn?t work out for them. Wood avgs 8.1 rbs a game so not sure Wood is deficient there. Powell avgs. 4.2 rbs. McGee has shown to be a game changer when he plays and teams have a hard time with his size and quick jumping ability. I am not sure what else the Mavs want from Wood to extend him. He scores, rebounds, blocks and seems like he wants to be here. He even played with a fractured finger. All I saw last night was Sabonis dominating in the middle and Mavs insisted on playing a mismatched Powell on him.
Old 02-12-2023, 04:00 PM   #90
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to watch for, is Luka was not whining to the refs as he normally does. I saw a few things but it was quick and didn?t make a deal out of a missed call.

The awareness that something special could be happening, keep your head in the game.
Old 02-12-2023, 07:32 PM   #91
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm with you on Mcgee

Dude has proven on 3 different teams in the playoffs that he can be a good solid player if surrounded by the right personnel.

He's played well for Phoenix, Golden St and LA in the playoffs as a backup big and did well.

These last 3 games he's done some nice things but for some reason the mavs just prefer Powell

Yes Mcgee will take the occasional dumb shot but he plays with more force than Powell inside.

If they are so hell bent on playing small with just one big I believe Mcgee should get 12-14 minutes per night especially with kyrie on the floor because those two seem to click with each other.

Plus it looks like the mavs aren't getting any help defensively on the wings
Old 02-12-2023, 09:21 PM   #92
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Then people shine the spotlight on Luka (last shot was bad) when it's really the coaching that should criticized.
The play was for Kyrie. How is that coach's fault if Luka didn't pass it?
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:31 PM   #93
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
"last shot was bad" again for the people in the back

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:48 PM   #94
liqwidhalo

liqwidhalo has a spectacular aura aboutliqwidhalo has a spectacular aura about

Danny Green signing with Cleveland Cavaliers
liqwidhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 12:02 AM   #95
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Luka has to realize he's not the only guy out there anymore.

Luka Doncic on his tough look from 3 that would?ve tied it late in OT: ?That?s my bad. Should?ve gave it back to Kai. It?s a learning process, but I definitely should?ve given it back to Kai. He was hot down the stretch.?