Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hollinger with the hate crime

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...ictions-090107

4. Dallas will miss the playoffs

OK, time to try something brave: divining which of the eight teams competing for the seven final playoff spots out West will fall short.

All of the candidates have shown their warts. New Orleans is heavily dependent on one player and has no frontcourt depth. Utah's two best players have been hurt all season, and Boozer might not be back for a long time. Houston only wishes it could be as healthy as Utah, and one if its best players seems like he's tuning out. San Antonio is getting awfully long in the tooth and has a killer schedule the second half of the season. Denver won't have Anthony for a month and is hardly any deeper than New Orleans up front. The Suns aren't all on the same page and have major age issues. Portland is a lightweight on D, and its best player is a bit on the brittle side.

So why Dallas? It's simple -- we can't say anything went horribly wrong for them in the first 35 games. The Mavs have been reasonably healthy, have benefited from an unexpectedly strong performance from Terry and Jason Kidd, and aren't enduring any major dramas at the moment.

And even with everything more or less going right and most of the competition suffering form serious problems, they still can't pull away -- because basically, they just aren't that good. When the other top teams in the West lose, there's usually a good reason -- injuries, schedule, something. Compare that to the Mavs, who had all of their important players healthy and available in Memphis on Sunday and lost by 20. Their once-mighty offense is only 12th in efficiency, largely because only three guys can score -- in fact, their fourth-leading scorer, Kidd, averages only 8.4 points per game.

The bar in the West has been raised high enough that it likely will take 47 wins to get into the playoffs, and I just don't see Dallas getting there. The Mavericks aren't imposing on the court and lack the trade assets to get better. Maybe they'll get a reprieve thanks to another team's injuries, but it's equally likely that they'll be left in the dust by a few of their own. Handicapping the playoff race in the West is a fool's errand, but if I have to pick one team to fall short, it's this one.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
r00k

r00k is on a distinguished road

I saw someone else say this and I laughed. I think the top three will be the Lakers, Spurs, and Hornets, that is obvious to me. And then there are 6 teams left for the Final 5 seeds. And out of the 6, in a non-biased opinion I think we are the 2nd best. But with Melo out I think we can be the best above of Denver.

Either way it is crazy to put teams like the Blazers, Jazz, and Rockets above us. It is stupid even.
r00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I don't think the Mavs will miss the playoffs, but what Hollinger says is not farfetchd at all. What has been our major injury? Josh Howard seriously should not count. We've been healthy all year and have only amassed a 21-13 record, 5-9 against +.500 teams, and have had a bunch of nailbiters against bad teams.

The Mavs need to raise their level of play because the competition is about to get better.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Normally, I like Hollinger's opinions. However, in this instance--he just needs to stick with typing out numbers on the page, not letters.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of truth in that article. I think our schedule has been one of the five easiest (going by opponents record) as well.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

ouch
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

As Dirk would say "Obviously".

Without a trade that brings instant chemistry and balanced offense consistently it's pointless to think that if we make the playoffs we stand a chance anyway. I think it's pissing in the wind as to who is left out of the playoffs. Anything can happen and injuries will take a toll on some team. I'm just looking to our future because we got nothing as currently built. Just need to get moving FO, come on.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

His points don't really back up his thesis. If the point of the article was "Dallas isn't "elite" anymore" or "Dallas will not be a top 5 seed", I could see him having a point.

it's not like the universe is fair and the teams that have been struggling due to injuries will have a perfect 2nd half. Mavs are making the playoffs.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take 19-6 in the last 25, thank you.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
and lack the trade assets to get better
Try telling that to anyone around here...
Old 01-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas could miss the playoffs. It's that close. It appears that there are 9 teams jockeying for 8 spots. Someone will be the odd man out. So why not the Mavs? Personally, I don't think they'll miss the playoffs, but not much about this team blows me away.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Hollinger hasn't been paying attention to the Mavs. It's clear. Exactly what IS the criteria to be on the ESPN payroll anyway??

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Dallas could miss the playoffs. It's that close. It appears that there are 9 teams jockeying for 8 spots. Someone will be the odd man out. So why not the Mavs? Personally, I don't think they'll miss the playoffs, but not much about this team blows me away.
Dirk Nowitzki.

Honestly, this team might be bad enough that 'just making the playoffs' will be the season's storyline. I don't know. What I do know is that I trust Dirk to carry us into the playoffs waaay more than I would trust Tracy McGrady or Roy.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

One of his points is valid. We only have 3 people that can score consistently.

After that its all downhill. His most basic argument seems to be injuries. How about the fact that JET, Kidd, and especially Dirk have a long history of missing few games to injury. Big surprise - Houston has been plagued with injuries and Ron Artest hasn't made them better. Millsap might be better than Boozer and Williams has played for a long time now.

"still can't pull away"? BS. We've been 19-6 since the 2-7 start. To hit 47 wins we need to be 26-22 over the rest of the season. That seems more than likely.

"When the other top teams in the West lose, there's usually a good reason" - Wrong, bad teams beat fully equipped good teams all the time. Its the NBA, not college, pretty much all the guys on the court can play and can have very good or bad games.

Since when is having no major dramas a bad thing?

In the end, this prediction can only work in the Mavs favor though. The lower the expectations the better. Bring on the hate.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The Lakers should be ok so there are 8 teams fighting for 7 spots.
Most people are going to say Utah, NO, San Antonio, and Houston will find ways to get in for whatever reason. That leaves Denver, Portland and us left to fight for two spots. Melo's injury is definitely going to hurt their cause but they're not dead yet. Portland is a young team and you have to wonder if they can hold up an entire season under the pressure. Dallas is Dallas.

When he looks at those 3 teams and looks at the situations past and present, it's easy to pick on Dallas.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #16
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemoeschmoe View Post
One of his points is valid. We only have 3 people that can score consistently.

After that its all downhill. His most basic argument seems to be injuries. How about the fact that JET, Kidd, and especially Dirk have a long history of missing few games to injury. Big surprise - Houston has been plagued with injuries and Ron Artest hasn't made them better. Millsap might be better than Boozer and Williams has played for a long time now.

"still can't pull away"? BS. We've been 19-6 since the 2-7 start. To hit 47 wins we need to be 26-22 over the rest of the season. That seems more than likely.

"When the other top teams in the West lose, there's usually a good reason" - Wrong, bad teams beat fully equipped good teams all the time. Its the NBA, not college, pretty much all the guys on the court can play and can have very good or bad games.

Since when is having no major dramas a bad thing?

In the end, this prediction can only work in the Mavs favor though. The lower the expectations the better. Bring on the hate.
Great post except I can't buy into the bold part. Boozer is a freakin' beast.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Dirk Nowitzki.

Honestly, this team might be bad enough that 'just making the playoffs' will be the season's storyline. I don't know. What I do know is that I trust Dirk to carry us into the playoffs waaay more than I would trust Tracy McGrady or Roy.
That's why I said 'not much' .... one player does, but nothing else.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #18
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

I don't really blame him for choosing Mavs to be the team to miss playoffs. Just look at our schedule. Our November/December schedule was soft (comparatively speaking). The real test is coming up this month and beyond. But the way they have been playing lately, things don't look good
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
That's why I said 'not much' .... one player does, but nothing else.

I think that one player can shoot Hollinger's argument to sh*t. We will need Kidd/Terry/Howard to play incredible to make any actual noise in the playoffs though.

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 01-07-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #20
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

He's basing a whole season around 1 loss to Memphis??? fuggouttahere! I see nowhere in that piece him mentioning climbing from that 2-7 hole. For those 9 games If we would've played the way we're playing now, that would've put us at 6-3 easy... which puts us at 25-9 (.735).... and a solid #2 in the west.... even at 5-4 for that 9 game stretch puts us at 24 - 10 which is STILL #2 in the west... or 4-5 ties us for #2 in the west.

So it's clear to see, Hollinger is just talking out the side of his a$$.

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Do you guys really think that we will miss the playoffs. I mean our schedule has been easy, but since we havent played many hard teams what evidence does he have that we will do so horribly. We havent been blown out by any good team. We beat a couple pf them and the rest were winnable and close.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #22
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Well...we do lose to a lot of good teams...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #23
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Great post except I can't buy into the bold part. Boozer is a freakin' beast.
I did say might...but its still a stretch. However, both are beasts and Utah doesn't fall that far with Millsap.

When I looked at his playoff odds, I realized he just looked at his most recent playoff odds, took the lowest odds to make the playoffs among the 9 West teams and created arguments to support his computer's results. He also did the same thing to figure out the champions. Bad process imo. If he had done this 2 weeks ago, it'd be different teams. 1 month ago, different teams again.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #24
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
I did say might...but its still a stretch. However, both are beasts and Utah doesn't fall that far with Millsap.

When I looked at his playoff odds, I realized he just looked at his most recent playoff odds, took the lowest odds to make the playoffs among the 9 West teams and created arguments to support his computer's results. He also did the same thing to figure out the champions. Bad process imo. If he had done this 2 weeks ago, it'd be different teams. 1 month ago, different teams again.
haha look at the drop off after 9th place. 73% chance to .1% chance.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #25
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares. Sit back and enjoy the ride. This team has been pretty good the past month or so, and hopefully that will keep up.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #26
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Mavs hater Hollinger is telling us to do some trades.. But the way things going right now, i predict a 5th or 6th position for us in the playoffs, considering no injuries to Dirk.
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #27
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Who cares. Sit back and enjoy the ride. This team has been pretty good the past month or so, and hopefully that will keep up.
Posts like this make me glad we have rep back...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #28
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When I looked at his playoff odds, I realized he just looked at his most recent playoff odds, took the lowest odds to make the playoffs among the 9 West teams and created arguments to support his computer's results.
Good catch. Hollinger writes a program, and reads off the results as biblical truth every time. If the numbers are slightly different next week, he'd come up with some other BS argument to argue why Utah (or whoever is #9) will miss the playoffs, and why they are so much worse than all the other teams.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #29
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Hollinger's rankings and playoff odds are fun to read, but they're pretty questionable. The Mavs were in the #6 spot like 1 week ago, and they've lost one game since then. In that same time period, Houston has lost 3 games, but has jumped ahead.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-07-2009 at 05:12 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #30
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

What is this "our schedule has been soft"? Our schedule has been just as hard as most of the other teams

Houston x 2
Lakers x 2
San Antonio x 2
Denver x 2

Cleveland x 1
Utah x 1
Portland x 1
Phoenix x 1
Orlando x 1
Atlanta x 1

These are all teams that Hollinger would "claim" are better than us. For being #5 in the West right now, us having played all of those games should say a lot.

That's 41% of our games thus far - and you can only add teams to this list, not take them away.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 01-07-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #31
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Hollingers computer formulas and Power Rankings bounce around like a mf'er. One week its the Suns supposed to finish 9th, tehn the Spurs, now the Mavs. Also, I checked 2 days ago and he had Milwaukee ranked as #5 due to a 10 game stretch where their MoV is +8.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #32
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Hollingers computer formulas and Power Rankings bounce around like a mf'er. One week its the Suns supposed to finish 9th, tehn the Spurs, now the Mavs. Also, I checked 2 days ago and he had Milwaukee ranked as #5 due to a 10 game stretch where their MoV is +8.
I saw that. Did Johnny write another article defending why the Bucks will make the conference finals or something?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 01-07-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #33
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Hollinger probably confuses himself more than he confuses other people.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #34
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zki41 View Post
What is this "our schedule has been soft"? Our schedule has been just as hard as most of the other teams

Houston x 2
Lakers x 2
San Antonio x 2
Denver x 2

Cleveland x 1
Utah x 1
Portland x 1
Phoenix x 1
Orlando x 1
Atlanta x 1

These are all teams that Hollinger would "claim" are better than us. For being #5 in the West right now, us having played all of those games should say a lot.

That's 41% of our games thus far - and you can only add teams to this list, not take them away.
We have had a very easy schedule. In term's of strength of schedule, we have had the 6th easiest in the league.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #35
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Mavs haven't had injuries... um so what was Josh Howard doing when he missed all of those games?

Oh yeah, making the team better.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #36
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Who says anything will actually go wrong for us? Who says anything will go right for the other teams? Maybe the Jazz stay injured, the Rockets WILL stay injured, the Suns have to be concerned about Nash's back problems, and as Hollinger noted the Hornets are one injured CP3 away from throwing away the season.

I think the point he's making is we've been very fortunate compared to other Western playoff teams. He's not 'hating' on us, just stating that if we run into our own bad luck we might fall short of the eighth seed. It's not like he's saying we're definitely missing the playoffs... but he is kind of saying at full strength we're probably the weakest of the bunch.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #37
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Posts like this make me glad we have rep back...
Can someone please tell me where the hell the rep is?
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #38
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

I just watch our play some nights and wonder where the Mavs went. Other nights, I see a legit playoff team. I would just like to see some consistent play from more than three guys.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #39
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas View Post
Can someone please tell me where the hell the rep is?
The upper right hand corner of a message - the little blue check mark...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #40
left texas
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
The upper right hand corner of a message - the little blue check mark...
+ rep for Underdog. I am an old man and use to old ways. Thank you so much Underdog!!!!