Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default JET article from yesterday.

The snap of the net as the ball rips through seems louder once the sun is down.

Jason Terry knows that sound. As a teenager in Seattle, he shot baskets in the dark outside his home after he heard Ricky Pierce say in an interview that was part of his routine.

"He said if you can shoot with the lights off," Terry remembers, pausing for emphasis, "when the lights come on you'll be able to knock them down."

What does a seventh-grade recollection have to do with today?

Well, Terry is the league's most prolific sixth man with an average of 19.8 points. It has been 19 years since a player averaged more points off the bench.

You guessed it. Pierce.

"I don't think there's any question he's going to win it," Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle says of Terry's designs on the Sixth Man award. "I don't know of anyone who is close to him in terms of what he's done.

"He's been great all year."

Terry embraces a task many players of his stature abhor. He doesn't view his role off the bench as a slight or a sacrifice.

He views it as best for the team.

This attitude goes back to his college days at Arizona under Lute Olson. Those teams were loaded with talent. Terry never knew if he would start or come off the bench, but he knew he would play.

So what if he doesn't start for the Mavericks? Terry knows he will be on the court at the finish.

"That's what this whole thing is about," Terry said. "Overall team success. If you can't buy into that, then you don't need to be here."

It didn't take Carlisle long to learn what Terry is about. Soon after he took over as coach, before there were chairs in his office, Terry dropped by to say hello.

Carlisle told the veteran he was unsure how to use him. He didn't know if he would start Terry and go small or bring him off the bench.

"I just don't know," Carlisle repeated.

"Coach, I can tell you what you do know," Terry replied. "I'll be ready for whatever role you give me."

That conversation sticks with Carlisle. It's one of the reasons he calls Terry a special guy with a great spirit.

And images of Pierce stick with Terry.

Pierce never won the Sixth Man award when he played for the Seattle in the early '90s. Those came from his days in Milwaukee. But the former Garland High School star was still one of the best in the league.

Terry considers Pierce the ultimate sixth man because he didn't need two or three shots to warm up. He came into the game ready to score. He picked up a lot from watching Pierce with the Sonics.

"If you look at it, the way I catch and shoot coming off screens and the mid-range game, that's a lot of what he did," Terry says.

Soon, the two will share something else: the Sixth Man award.

That's no shot in the dark. It will happen.

"I'm not going to be a guy who complains and sulks about minutes or starting or this and that," Terry says. "Hey, put me in and I'm going to be productive.

"That's how I've always approached it."

Ricky Pierce averaged 23 points in winning the Sixth Man award during the 1989-90 season. Jason Terry's average off the bench is the highest in the 19 years since.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...l.37be34f.html

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

You know your team has problems when your sixth man is your second-highest scorer...

(not to take any love away from JET - he's been amazing this season...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they said during the last game or two that no 6th man had ever averaged 20 ppg.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

jet is a good guy
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, JET is a good guy. Not many guys respond to things this well.

Carlisle told the veteran he was unsure how to use him. He didn't know if he would start Terry and go small or bring him off the bench.

"I just don't know," Carlisle repeated.

"Coach, I can tell you what you do know," Terry replied. "I'll be ready for whatever role you give me."

Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You know your team has problems when your sixth man is your second-highest scorer...

Manu was the Spurs second leading scorer last year. Just saying.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Wow

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think that is not a given. Ginobbli comes off the bench a lot and may not be their second scorer...he was their first last year. Probalby would be this year also if he weren't hurt so much.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about Manu - I should have said:

"You know your team has problems when your sixth man is your second-highest scorer and the rest of the team doesn't play good enough defense to justify that fact..."

More accurate?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-24-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're right about Manu - I should have said:

"You know your team has problems when your sixth man is your second-highest scorer and the rest of the team doesn't play good enough defense to justify that fact..."

More accurate?
Yup...but you have to throw in there that our starting point guard, starting center and our shooting guard are...

4th, 8th and 6th respectively.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

So who is our 5th leading scorer?
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot to include "You know your team has problems when your sixth man is your second-highest scorer and the rest of the team doesn't play good enough defense or you don't have the best coach in professional sports to justify that fact..."

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #13
SMC0007
Guru

"you know your team has problems when your sixth man is your second highest scorer, the sixth man and the rest of the team don't play good enough defense period, our superstar power forward is a perimiter player, our center has zero offensive ability with the ball, our slasher/dingleberry SF has potential to be the 2nd best player on the team but doesn't live up to expectations most times, the starting SG is the 5th best player on the team, our bench is weaksauce, our coach doesn't have that much to work with but doesn't work the rotation all that well, we have zero post offense, and DGeorge is still on the team!"

Good thing is we have the 2nd best Center in the western conference.