Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 04-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts
Default Conservatives Had Better Hope George W. Bush Was a Dummy

I never met George W. Bush and have no opinion on his intelligence or lack thereof. But it seems to me that conservatives ought to hope he was the knuckledragging moron of Saturday Night Live caricature rather than the cunning super-genius that Keith Hennessey has portrayed. After all, one way or another his term in office was a disastrous period of American governance.

One possible explanation for that would be that he's dumb. Or alternatively that he's incredibly lazy. The president of the United States has a tough job, after all, and it's totally possible to imagine a person with roughly correct ideas to nonetheless screw it up through incompetence and blundering. But if conservatives want us to believe that the United States blundered through a major terrorist attack, two major failed military adventures, dismal economic performance, and then finally an epic economic collpase all while under the watch of a very bright and attentive leader then it seems like a much deeper failure of the movement.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...the_right.html
SeanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I'm all for anti-conservative threads but this one is worth deleting. What is even the point of this thread? Some guy is angry that George Bush gets a library so he goes around calling him names? There is good rhetoric here but the lack of substance is glaring. Good luck with your future rants.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 04-25-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Another democrat bashes dubya for Katrina.. Another one of those things that dubya did while the camera wasn't on.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7

"Bush understood the need for civility. I joined him despite my frustration because the need was too great for finger-pointing and blame-making. He flew to New Orleans and addressed the nation: "Tonight I also offer this pledge to the American people: Throughout the area hit by the hurricane, we will do what it takes. We will stay as long as it takes to help citizens rebuild their communities and their lives."

George W. Bush was good as his word. He visited the Gulf states 17 times; went 13 times to New Orleans. Laura Bush made 24 trips. Bush saw that $126 billion in aid was sent to the Gulf's residents, as some members of his own party in Congress balked.

Bush put a special emphasis on rebuilding schools and universities. He didn't forget African-Americans: Bush provided $400 million to the historically black colleges, now integrated, that remain a pride, and magnet for African-American students. Laura Bush, a librarian, saw to it that thousands of books ruined by the floods were replaced. To this day, there are many local libraries with tributes devoted to her efforts.

It was a team effort. I'm glad to report the commission I served on went out-of-business in 2010. I'm also grateful and proud to report that President Bush was one of the leaders, and a very important member, of that team. Our recovery can be credited to the civility and tireless efforts of President Bush and other Americans, who united and worked together to help rebuild the Gulf and the place of my birth, New Orleans."
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
SeanL

SeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these partsSeanL is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
I'm all for anti-conservative threads but this one is worth deleting. What is even the point of this thread? Some guy is angry that George Bush gets a library so he goes around calling him names? There is good rhetoric here but the lack of substance is glaring. Good luck with your future rants.
He was responding to this article:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...-comments.html
Old 04-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
SeanL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Another democrat bashes dubya for Katrina.. Another one of those things that dubya did while the camera wasn't on.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/25/opinio...tml?hpt=hp_bn7

"Bush understood the need for civility. I joined him despite my frustration because the need was too great for finger-pointing and blame-making. He flew to New Orleans and addressed the nation: "Tonight I also offer this pledge to the American people: Throughout the area hit by the hurricane, we will do what it takes. We will stay as long as it takes to help citizens rebuild their communities and their lives."

George W. Bush was good as his word. He visited the Gulf states 17 times; went 13 times to New Orleans. Laura Bush made 24 trips. Bush saw that $126 billion in aid was sent to the Gulf's residents, as some members of his own party in Congress balked.

Bush put a special emphasis on rebuilding schools and universities. He didn't forget African-Americans: Bush provided $400 million to the historically black colleges, now integrated, that remain a pride, and magnet for African-American students. Laura Bush, a librarian, saw to it that thousands of books ruined by the floods were replaced. To this day, there are many local libraries with tributes devoted to her efforts.

It was a team effort. I'm glad to report the commission I served on went out-of-business in 2010. I'm also grateful and proud to report that President Bush was one of the leaders, and a very important member, of that team. Our recovery can be credited to the civility and tireless efforts of President Bush and other Americans, who united and worked together to help rebuild the Gulf and the place of my birth, New Orleans."
It wasn't necessarily what he did after Katrina it was what he did before that was the problem. The Bush administration gutted FEMA in the 4 years before the hurricane hit, which made it hopelessly ineffective in the aftermath. But I'm sure after the hurricane hit he made very meaningful efforts to help the people there.

Last edited by SeanL; 04-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

As usual, an idiot. While the democrats left busses to be flooded and killed people they find a way with the democrat media to blame someone else for it.

Show me the link where FEMA was,"gutted", Show me their budget year to year? Was it the same gutting that has been done by the sequestor?

And as usual, FEMA is typically after the fact, not first responders.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 04-26-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
SeanL

Quote:
As usual, an idiot. While the democrats left busses to be flooded and killed people they find a way with the democrat media to blame someone else for it.

Show me the link where FEMA was,"gutted", Show me their budget year to year? Was it the same gutting that has been done by the sequestor?

And as usual, FEMA is typically after the fact, not first responders.
You are correct. There were Democrats like Nagin that screwed up. But just because you are a Democrat doesn't mean you have good administrative skills. I would say I know quite a few Democrats who would be poor administrators. But then there are others like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet, etc. who are actually quite good administrators.

Being a good administrator is a personal trait. It doesn't have to do with your policy views.

The policies that exacerbated this tragedy were conservative policies of cutting all forms of government, sans the military. This was true for FEMA which did have its budget slashed. And here is the link you requested for your viewing pleasure:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../femahist.html

Last edited by SeanL; 04-27-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

Try again, no numbers. I do not accept that a reduction in the increase is a slashing of a budget. Liberals have a very hard time with this concept.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
SeanL

Quote:
Try again, no numbers. I do not accept that a reduction in the increase is a slashing of a budget. Liberals have a very hard time with this concept.
Here you go:
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/BUD...nt-detail.html

In 2000 the budget (outlays + discretionary) was 6.8 billion but in 2005 it was around 4.5. Keeping in mind I'm not even taking into account inflation and population growth which would make the difference even larger.