Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 09-17-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I've decided to go with vBulletin for the upcoming d-m.com overhaul, but that's not going to take place until I find a way to import the current database over. I don't want to lose the 90k msgs and userbase we've accumulated the past couple of years so just try to be patient in the meantime [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2002, 03:40 PM   #2
Shaq of Smack

Shaq of Smack is on a distinguished road

DJ, I've been running Vbulletin for a few years now and use it over at MavsForum.com. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Shaq of Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 03:41 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

The current db runs off mysql..how difficult would it be to create an import script for it to vB? Thx
Old 09-17-2002, 03:45 PM   #4
Shaq of Smack

Shaq of Smack is on a distinguished road

Well, MySQL is what VB uses as well so its gotta be possible. I personally don't get into creating scripts like that, but there is a terrific message forum at vbulletin.com where you can ask about creating a script to accomplish this. I don't think there is an "out of the box" import script for FuseTalk, but some enterprising young programmer might be able to do it.

The key is just that you have MySQL and PHP on your webserver.
Shaq of Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:16 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

DJ- thanks for the update. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. Sorry I can't help with the script thing......and Thanks!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:22 PM   #6
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Hey DJ, thank you for your effort. I´m lookin forward to the update. VB is real good.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:30 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

I just hope I can find someone who can get everything imported properly. My budget is pretty limited at this time (at first I was considering just paying someone to handle the redesign and scripting since I don't have much time to do any of it myself, but the estimates I got were pretty high up there) so hopefully I can find someone willing to do the conversion cheaply, and then crack open the ol photoshop books and try to do the design myself.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:55 PM   #8
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

if you can find someone to do the scripting, i'll help with the redesign. let me know.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 04:56 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

DJ- there is always a paypal donation...think about it.
Old 09-20-2002, 06:02 PM   #10
djb
Administrator

aexchange, I might take you up on that offer. I have a design in mind and will be playing around with some templates to see how they work once we get the board installed. It won't be released until it's 100% ready but hopefully that'll happen before the season starts.

My friend is looking into the db conversion this weekend.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:52 AM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Allow Doc and me to beta-test it for ya. We'll put it through its paces.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 09:30 AM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

lol... I think we should just buy Doc a 12 pack, and all pick a time to be there. If it's gonna hold up -- it'll have to withstand that!
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 01:16 PM   #13
atheos
Administrator

atheos has disabled reputation

I could write a script to import all the users and their
status (mods, signatures, etc) to vBulletin, but importing
threads and posts would be a real time consumer.
If it's not critical to keep older posts/threads, I can start
on this script next week.
Atheos
atheos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 06:11 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

WHOA!!!

For a minute there I thought I wrote somethign after a 12 pack. Turns out someone else is just using my icon. phew....
Old 12-24-2002, 02:25 AM   #15
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

ÜberDirk is on a distinguished road

"WHOA!!!

For a minute there I thought I wrote somethign after a 12 pack. Turns out someone else is just using my icon. phew...."

LMAO that's good stuff!!!!!
Im pretty drunk now, but im pretty sure that is some funny shit!!! I'll check back tommorow, rather today, wait, where am I.... oh, that's right, then it's officialy christmas eve here, i'll check and see if it was really funny, or if i even typed this tommoropwwwww
Old 12-24-2002, 02:26 AM   #16
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

Look at me, Im Doc now! lol
Old 12-24-2002, 02:27 AM   #17
ÜberDirk
Golden Member

everyone changed icons and we'll all confuse doc.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:06 AM   #18
atheos
Administrator

atheos has disabled reputation

I'm getting dizzy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
atheos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 07:58 AM   #19
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

How's it going DJ...I've had some problems bringing up the site lately...and I have DSL...related ?