Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-29-2005, 08:55 AM   #361
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Texas Rangers 05!

Last night was sweet, Dellucci in the 9th........... nice.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #362
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Delluci just crushed that one. Da-yamn!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:19 AM   #363
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Maybe I'm the minority, but Hidalgo (IMO) sucks. To get a decent pitcher, someone who could fill a rotational spot would be ideal. Not sure Ponson is good enough, but hey...Hidalgo isn't exactly having a wonderful season.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:44 AM   #364
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Texas Rangers 05!

Sure, Hidalgo has been bad this year. However, he has been leaps and bounds better than Ponson. Ponson has been miserable. I'd just assume the Rangers call up whoever they have in the minors as opposed to trading for Ponson. I'd rather see RA Dickey in the rotation.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #365
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope the Rangers --- Stay the course.............. They aren't going to win it all this year anyway, so only sell/buy if it gets you younger and more talented.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 AM   #366
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to give my official "No Thank You" to R.A. Dickey being in the starting rotation...ever [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 11:24 AM   #367
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary
I'd like to give my official "No Thank You" to R.A. Dickey being in the starting rotation...ever [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I agree. However, I'd rather have him in the rotation than Ponson.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 01:11 PM   #368
Drbio
Banned

I'd rather have Ponson at 1 million (the Orioles were said to be paying the rest of his contract) than Dickey for free.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:17 PM   #369
Drbio
Banned

OK...for you trade rumor mongerers (like me) out there....here is the latest....

All those questions about whether the Mets would be buyers or sellers at the deadline seem to have been answered now, as they appear determined to land Alfonso Soriano before Sunday's non-waiver trade deadline... There also was word circulating yesterday that the Mets were one of the teams interested in getting Aubrey Huff from the Devil Rays, but a Mets official said there was no truth to it.
-- Newark Star-Ledger

Despite reports out of the New York area, the Rangers insist that they are not close to dealing second baseman Alfonso Soriano to the Mets... Rangers center fielder Gary Matthews Jr. is also the subject of rumors, including one involving the Yankees, but Daniels said it would be difficult for Texas to trade him, particularly with Laynce Nix out for the season.
-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Jim Hendry's interest in Texas Rangers second baseman Alfonso Soriano intensified Thursday after the Cubs' general manager watched his team lose 6-0 to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Hendry is in talks with Texas to see if a deal is feasible before Sunday's non-waiver trading deadline.
-- Chicago Sun-Times

The Cubs could use a good offensive outfielder and a starting pitcher, and they are rumored to be interested in Cincinnati outfielder Austin Kearns, Texas second baseman Alfonso Soriano and Texas outfielder Kevin Mench. But a deal involving any of those three seems unlikely.
-- Daily Southtown

Newsday reported that the Reds could be part of a three-way deal with the New York Mets and the Texas Rangers. The Mets, according to the report, would end up with Alfonso Soriano and Sean Casey.
-- Cincinnati Enquirer

Old 07-30-2005, 01:14 AM   #370
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

From DMN:
Quote:
Rangers agree with Teagarden: The Rangers have agreed to terms with third-round pick Taylor Teagarden, a catcher from the University of Texas. Teagarden was in Arlington on Friday to take a physical.

He received a signing bonus of $750,000 and an invitation to major league spring training for 2006. Teagarden is expected to go to the training facility in Surprise, Ariz., but could shortly be on his way to Class A Spokane.
Yay! I really like this kid. Everyone says he'll move up fast. Great to hear they got something done, considering his agent is Boras.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #371
Drbio
Banned

It is said that Teagarden is ready to play MLB defense but he cannot hit mlb pitching yet. The knock on drafting him was that he cannot adapt to pitchers who can change. The guy is a stud behind the palte though.

It unfortunate that the he had to develop in that waste of a Disch Falk field. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #372
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Haha, Doc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Trade deadline has now passed & it appears the Rangers have stood pat. Don't know how to feel about not moving Sori, but I think probably they just weren't going to get good enough value back for him right now.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:05 PM   #373
Drbio
Banned

I thought you might like that ames. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I am glad to see the Rangers hold on to Soriano. We still control his his rights for another year and if we decide not to sign him up long term, then he can be moved in the offseason. I really like that John Hart made two reported offers (Mets and Twins) that asked for the moon and then he stuck to his guns. I like that the Rangers dictated the deadline. My only disappointment is in keeping Hidalgo. Todays effort underscores why.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:39 AM   #374
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Well...Chris Young sucks all the sudden [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 11:44 PM   #375
ames7
Diamond Member

Nevin gets his first hit & RBI as a Ranger. *pats Nevin on back* But the Rangers still lose. To the D-Rays. *facepalm*
Old 08-04-2005, 06:53 AM   #376
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they all realize that Rosie O'Donnell has been belting out the tunes for awhile now.

They should have traded that bully/punk that likes to push cameramen.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #377
akaarod03

akaarod03 is on a distinguished road

We get rid of Ryan Drese and Pedro Astacio (who both suck by the way)...and yet spare me to death CJ Wilson is still pitching for us? Terrific outing today...2.2 innings pitched...9 hits allowed...8 earned runs

For the season...he's 0-4 with a 10.23 ERA

I look forward to seeing him pitch 5 days from now...maybe his ERA can get above 15.00.

akaarod03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:42 PM   #378
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

C.J. Wilson makes me reminisce for Aaron Myette and Mark Clark.

Is this guy anything other than a placeholder while Danks-Diamond-Volquez develop?
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #379
ames7
Diamond Member

I just don't understand. We don't have anyone in Triple A closer than this guy? Really?

Also. DeRosa in RF? Really? I know he had a meaningless homer, but really?

Rangers site says Hidalgo may be headed to the DL. Good. Wonder who gets the call-up.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #380
Drbio
Banned

I hope we can move Rogers, Hildago and any spare on our roster in the waivers-trade process.

It's time to think about next year.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #381
ames7
Diamond Member

Ladies & gentlemen? David DELLUCCI!!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #382
Drbio
Banned

The Rangers have signed Aaron Sele to a minor league deal. He will make at least one AAA start before being considered on the MLBsquad per his contract.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:19 AM   #383
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
I just don't understand. We don't have anyone in Triple A closer than this guy? Really?

Also. DeRosa in RF? Really? I know he had a meaningless homer, but really?

Rangers site says Hidalgo may be headed to the DL. Good. Wonder who gets the call-up.
I think C.J. is being fed to the Lions because the Rangers feel doing so is not as much of a risk as bringing up another prospect that's not quite ready. Kind of like the lesser of two evils?

Sad though. The guy is obviously a boy among men.

Maybe Sele will be able to replace him in the lineup.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:24 AM   #384
ames7
Diamond Member

I really just feel bad for CJ. He is clearly a sacrificial lamb, but to be real? I feel so bad for him, I'd rather they like switch off sacrificial lambs for a while. Like you said, maybe Sele. And I see RA Dickey & the Great Knuckleball Experiment making an appearance in the near future as well.

Hidalgo on the DL official, Marshall MacDougal up again. Wonder if he'll actually get to play this time?
Old 08-12-2005, 08:00 PM   #385
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

CJ Wilson sucks. S.U.C.K.S.

The motherfricker hasn't won a professional baseball game EVER...he's horrible. Why the FRICK do we give him CRITICAL pitching appearances? Oh...cause we traded for another hitter. BRILLIANT.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:16 PM   #386
ames7
Diamond Member

I find it comical that Josh & Tom spent most of the first 4 innings of this game talking about how bad the Yankees bullpen is & then our offense couldn't score after Leiter left.

Rangers games are getting longer & more tedious to watch by the day. And there's never a payoff, they've lost 5 in a row. I'm looking forward to watching preseason football instead tomorrow night.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #387
ames7
Diamond Member

Worst. Roadtrip. EVER.

I want to see the kids fulltime. No more Wasdin starts. No more DeRosa in RF. No more talk from Buck about how he hopes to see Hidalgo back soon. If we're just going to lose all the time, I want to see some productive losing.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #388
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Worst. Roadtrip. EVER.

I want to see the kids fulltime. No more Wasdin starts. No more DeRosa in RF. No more talk from Buck about how he hopes to see Hidalgo back soon. If we're just going to lose all the time, I want to see some productive losing.
couldn't have said it better myself

Old 08-16-2005, 05:48 PM   #389
ames7
Diamond Member

Oh dear, just when I started thinking maybe I'd watch the game tonight, there's Mark DeRosa starting in RF again.

But the moves are starting. Gryboski optioned to OKC (what a waste of a trade that was), Baldwin DFA-ed, Aaron Sele released from OKC. Justin Thomson & Scott Feldman called up, & AJ Murray promoted to OKC.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:01 PM   #390
ames7
Diamond Member

If you haven't read today's FWST & DMN... the players have had it. My worst fear was that the Rangers management, by clearly not showing a commitment to winning, are going to lose these core guys...& that appears more likely every day. In addition, the message they are sending is not going to attract future free agents. Who would want to come here?

This quote says it all:
Quote:
"I had hoped we were ready to take it to the next level this season instead of taking a step backward," Young said. "This is my fifth year with this team, and we've never finished higher than third place. It's hard when every season you start concentrating on next year.

"I don't want to think of myself as a losing player. I know how to stay locked in for a game, and I'll do that. Unfortunately, I've had that practice."
Old 08-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #391
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Dear Hicks and Hart,

Go away. Far, far away.

Regards,
Rangers fan
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #392
Drbio
Banned

Young, Tex, Delluci and Blalock are all pissed. This is a huge story that will only get worse. The Rangers had better step up this offseason and buy some pitching. Guys like Burnett can be signed for only a second round draft pick as compensation. AJ Burnett and at least one other guy like a Clement had better be brought into the fold or you will not see Tex, Blalock or Young here much longer.

huge story.....
Old 08-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #393
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mercury_rev
Dear Hicks and Hart,

Go away. Far, far away.

Regards,
Rangers fan
Ditto. Unfortunately, I think we'd all bet prepare ourselves to watch Mark Texiera find a decent team to play whenever his current deal is up. These guys deserve better than this.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #394
ames7
Diamond Member

from your friend & mine, Mr. Hicks:
Quote:
"My job is to make sure the general manager has the right staff, which we do," Hicks said. "We’re going to obviously run the team within our resources. It’s not a matter of going out and spending money. We have to make smart baseball decisions and everybody has to play up to their potential."
That dude has got some nerve. I can't believe I once thought of him as a good owner. I was actually happy to hear he decided to keep the Stars. The scary part of this quote is it implies they are committed to Hart even now. And the playing up to potential thing... I hope that's not yet another sign that they're just planning on waiting it out until DVD make it up here. If you look at their stats in Double A, they're clearly not even close to being ready. And you know what? They may never be.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:52 PM   #395
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
"...and everybody has to play up to their potential"
Maybe he should set an example and "play up thos potential" by *gasp* landing a decent pitcher *gasp*
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #396
Drbio
Banned

From Jamey Newberg....this is really a good read so I thought I would post it here. I hope he won't mind, but it is such a good read that I couldn't resist. Again...all props and credit to Jamey.

THE NEWBERG REPORT

No full report today. Here's the off-season blueprint I've been promising.

1. Sign John Thomson, assuming Atlanta pays a $500,000 buyout rather than
$4.75 million to keep him. He'll cost less than the Richard Hidalgo
contract that comes off the books.

2. One of two things:

a. Sign A.J. Burnett. Overpay him, because you'll have to. Four years, $40
million, and you might have to add a fifth year on a club option that
guarantees Burnett a couple million on a buyout.

Signing Thomson first gives Burnett one extra reason to sign here.

b. Alternative: Offer Kevin Mench, Adrian Gonzalez, and a minor league
pitcher other than John Danks, Edison Volquez, Thomas Diamond, or Eric
Hurley to San Francisco for Jason Schmidt, whose 2006 option calls for $10
million.

You do this only if Dom Chiti and Bob Johnson (or whoever has seen Schmidt
pitch this season )is sold on the soundness of his arm, and only if Keith
Meister sees the medical and blesses the deal.

3. Trade Alfonso Soriano for one pitching prospect, the best one you can
get. I don't want two second-tier pitchers. One Guy. Francisco Liriano.
Chad Billingsley or Jonathan Broxton. Philip Hughes. Jon Papelbon or
Anibel Sanchez or Jon Lester. Rich Hill. Yusmeiro Petit.

Give Ian Kinsler the job at second base and understand there will be rough
spots for a year. Hope that Burnett, a groundball pitcher, is comfortable
with that idea. For that matter, hope that the Rangers' core veterans are
OK with it.

Moving Soriano and adding Burnett or Schmidt is close to a financial wash
for 2006. A little in the Rangers' favor in the case of Schmidt since
Mench's arbitration-driven contract would come off the books.

4. Say goodbye to Rod Barajas. Sandy Alomar, Jr. backs up Gerald Laird.
Make sure there's a Mike DiFelice or Chris Widger type in Oklahoma.

5. Trade Phil Nevin if you can. There will be a number of teams needing a
first baseman this winter, and only one can sign Paul Konerko. The rest can
fight over Scott Hatteberg, Kevin Millar, and Erubiel Durazo, or come to
Texas for Nevin, whose contract I bet the club would help subsidize a bit.
Ease Jason Botts into the DH role, protecting him with David Dellucci and
Gary Matthews Jr., each of whom also figures into the outfield mix along
with Laynce Nix, though not all three start. (More on that shortly.)

Incidentally, T.R. Sullivan notes in today's Fort Worth Star-Telegram that
Texas could trade Nevin this month. (He'll undoubtedly make it through
Major League waivers if he hasn't already -- and if he doesn't, even better.
He's a guy that I bet Texas would just stick the claiming team with, much
like Atlanta stuck San Diego with Randy Myers in 1998. If the Rangers trade
Nevin, they'd probably have to put major cash in the deal; if one of the 21
teams to whom he can't block a trade himself places a waiver claim on him,
Texas can wash its hands of Nevin's 2006 commitment entirely.)

6. Let Carlos Almanzar go. I give Jose Veras or Matt Roney as good a chance
of helping a big league club in 2006.

7. Kenny Rogers doesn't want to go anywhere. In other words, team leverage.
If he plays hardball, after all that's happened in 2005, see how badly he
wants to live elsewhere. Sign him to a team-friendly contract, or don't
sign him.

8. Here's the one that might make you think I'm crazy. Sign outfielder
Brian Giles to a four-year deal and make him your leadoff hitter.

Leadoff?

Look it up.

Would he agree to sign here under those conditions?

Highly doubtful.

Pipe dream?

Probably.

9. Sign one veteran righthander and one veteran lefthander to pitch in the
bullpen. Lots of candidates. No Wagner or Hoffman or Dotel or anyone like
that. Just a couple sturdy lunchpail types. Just to have some fun, in
conjunction with number 8, we'll make the southpaw Ricardo Rincon. With six
weeks to go, I suppose Steve Karsay could actually make himself an option as
the righthander, but he'll have to be a lot more effective than he has been
so far.

10. After all this is done, ask Mark Teixeira to consider a seven-year deal,
one that would expire when he's 32, allowing him one more monster contract
after that. Teixeira doesn't command the $100 million deal that Albert
Pujols got for the seven years beginning with his first arbitration-eligible
season, but it's still going to cost a whole lot of money.

So: A rotation of Burnett/Schmidt, Thomson, Chris Young, Juan Dominguez, and
either Kenny Rogers or Ricardo Rodriguez. Joaquin Benoit and Kameron Loe in
the pen. Rodriguez in the pen if he's not in the rotation. Frankie
Francisco in the pen by summertime. Two free agent relievers helping set up
Francisco Cordero.

You replace Soriano offensively with Giles. Two very different players.

Danks, Volquez, and Diamond in Oklahoma City, possibly along with the
pitcher you get for Soriano (unless it's Hughes, for instance, who would be
in Frisco). With your DiFelice or Widger type helping with finishing
school.

You probably want a veteran to round out that RedHawk rotation (a John
Wasdin or R.A. Dickey type), which calls into question what you do with Josh
Rupe and John Hudgins, but that's a secondary issue to tackle.

It's naïve to think this can all happen, because there are 29 other teams
who are going to have some of the same guys at the top of their list, and
because there are timing factors that will work against it all falling into
place.

But play along, and commence ripping me.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:44 PM   #397
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Johnny Damon is a great hitter and a great center fielder. He would be a perfect fit in the ballpark. Carl Pavano got a 10 million dollar a year deal, AJ will probably get a 12 million a year deal. The guy has great stuff. Isn't Josh Beckett an unrestricted free agent after the season as well.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:59 PM   #398
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I could care less if next year's rangers hit 10 home runs as a team for the year. Give me a solid rotation and I'll be happy. Chicks may dig the long ball...but the win column doesn't.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:24 PM   #399
ames7
Diamond Member

Just about every offseason blueprint I've read so far has us signing Burnett in the offseason & there are not words for the skepticism I feel here. What makes you think they're going to change now & suddenly pony up for a good pitcher? First of all, Hicks won't go over 3 years. And Burnett isn't going to be cheap. He's looked great since Florida went ahead & didn't trade him.

Another thing about Jamey's plan... if you're just going to take one pitching prospect for Sori, why not take Minne's package at the dealine? I will be incredibly annoyed if they don't get market value now. I'd rather we just keep him. Frankly, Kinsler's not exactly a gold glover at 2B either.

Also, stop signing mediocre veteran position players who block prospects. If you don't want to use those prospects, trade them for pitching. (Poor Marshall MacDougal. If it hurts me this bad to see them repeatedly trot Mark DeRosa out in RF, imagine how he must feel.)
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 PM   #400
ames7
Diamond Member

Did everyone catch Mark Buehrle's partly comical but mostly ridiculous accusation that the Rangers cheat after they lit him up yesterday? He said the Rangers hit better at home b/c they tip signs to the batters via the lights in center field. Of course, the launching pad of a ballpark they play in probably has nothing to do w/it.