Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Naw it wasn't a burn I was just commenting on what I'm witnessing. I get it. It sucks to read negativity about the Mavs especially when its the same ol' same ol'....but damn it feels like this organization is running the same ol' same ol'. I keep giving them the excuses that they didn't have the trade bait to get certain guys but I'm not sure if its just an excuse or actual truth. I think they really like how their team is constructed and basically want to trade a Datsun for a Range Rover.
Fair enough. But I would argue it's not necessarily that just want to trade a Datsun for a Range Rover. I think they simply have a Datsun, and need a Range Rover.

I'm not saying the Mavs have been perfect by any means. But I do think some posters on this forum have consistently either overestimated the Mavs assets, or they underestimate how hard it is to actually make trades. There's a reason only like 6 teams make noteworthy trades at the deadline each year, and the other 24 don't. They don't all love their guys so much. The fact is, for most teams, there simply isn't a rush or incentive. It just makes more sense to wait until the offseason.

I don't know exactly how much they really like their boys in blue vs. how much that is just PR talk. I think they like their team better than some of the posters here- because reading the GDT's, I'd swear this is actually a Rockets forum and the Mavs are the ones who just lost like 20 in a row. Most people don't seem to think or feel that the Mavs have actually been pretty damn good since early February and have quietly put together a very respectable season.

But I guarantee you they do not love their boys in blue so much that they don't want to make the team better. Reports came out last year that the Mavs considered everyone outside of Luka and KP expendable, and then this year it got out that they were gauging KP's value around the league- yes they denied it, but I don't buy their denials. I think they absolutely were quietly shopping KP.

So, that tells me that everyone outside of Luka is on the table as far as the MBT is concerned. So I don't share the impression that they haven't made a trade happen because they simply value their guys too much and have been unwilling to trade TJH or Brunson or someone.

Quote:
I agree. And for the record, I'd still do that trade for KP......I'm not entirely sure if they would've drafted a guy of his caliber with those draft picks anyway....but when teams are selling its tough to try and buy without recent 1st round picks available.
For the record, I agree. I would also still do the KP trade. KP is flawed and limited, but he's still probably better than anyone they would have drafted and DSJ has basically washed out of the league.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Looks like buy out market for Mavs

I think Drummond was traded to Clippers

Maybe Porter gets a buy out from Orlando
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #3
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Looks like buy out market for Mavs

I think Drummond was traded to Clippers

Maybe Porter gets a buy out from Orlando
I wanted Ottomatic for a long time. Would love that move very much, almost like a long tryout with a playoffs for the summer/fall FA season.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
I wanted Ottomatic for a long time. Would love that move very much, almost like a long tryout with a playoffs for the summer/fall FA season.
Porter sucks.....but I mean...who knows what he can do with a guy like Luka though. Seems to fit that "complimentary" role they seem to want guys to have here. A viable role player.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #5
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Porter sucks.....but I mean...who knows what he can do with a guy like Luka though. Seems to fit that "complimentary" role they seem to want guys to have here. A viable role player.
He's been injured lately

But I don't think he sucks.

He's still a solid wing defender never lived up to that contract extension he signed.

He would at least be on DFS level when he's healthy and that is enough for me since the Mavs need another tall wing player.

I'm crossing my fingers he gets bought out but then again he might just run to LA or Brooklyn
Old 03-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
He's been injured lately

He's still a solid wing defender never lived up to that contract extension he signed.

He would at least be on DFS level when he's healthy and that is enough for me since the Mavs need another tall wing player.

I'm crossing my fingers he gets bought out but then again he might just run to LA or Brooklyn
See...my viewpoint of Porter is that he's a guy that does nothing great. I think DFS is a better defender then him. Not a very good scorer but can shoot somewhat. Its just a very "blah" move and I understand that's all we have and trust I'd take him but to me he sort of becomes redundant when you already have guys like Richardson and DFS on the team.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:37 PM   #7
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's been injured lately

56 games played in '19, 14 in '20, and 25 so far this year.

Not real encouraging. I wouldn't say no to adding him but I wouldn't rly be expecting much from him either. He also looked rly clunky and slow last time I saw him so idk if that was him coming off injury or if he just put on weight but that wouldn't bode well for defense.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Not sure if this is true but they are reporting Clippers looking into both Rondo and Drummond.

Does that make them and Denver top two out west?
Old 03-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #9
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Not sure if this is true but they are reporting Clippers looking into both Rondo and Drummond.

Does that make them and Denver top two out west?
I mean arguably it would but I don't know I do not like the pieces they are surrounding around these guys. Individually they are fine players but these are not guys who compliment each other to win a championship. Maybe Rondo help with that.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Reddick to Mavs
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #11
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Reddick to Mavs
Would be a great pick-up.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Yikes....Raptors look like sellers....
Old 03-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yikes....Raptors look like sellers....
Most definitely. Which makes it that much more intriguing where Lowry ends up.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:14 PM   #14
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Most definitely. Which makes it that much more intriguing where Lowry ends up.
So confused by what they did....they shipped out Thomas, Davis and Powell.......and kept Lowry who IMO, is at his highest value right now.....
Old 03-25-2021, 02:00 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I would have liked Powell from them. He’d be a great THJ replacement.

Still Reddick is also a sharp shooter and a great vet
Old 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #16
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania
now
Dallas has acquired New Orleans‘ JJ Redick, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Mavericks also acquire Trey Lyles from the Spurs in this multi-team deal.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #17
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Blazers just added a 20 point per game scorer to their squad.....very nice move to solidify that 3 spot for them.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #18
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

I like Trey Lyles and JJ Reddick. I'm curious to see if they'd actually play Trey Lyles though since James Johnson can't get any playing time.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Johnson + Iwundu + second rounder
for
Lyles and Redick
Old 03-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #20
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

I love Reddick's court demeanor, attitude, and intensity. Hope it rubs off on a couple Mavs.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #21
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
I love Reddick's court demeanor, attitude, and intensity. Hope it rubs off on a couple Mavs.
I would have much rather had the bigger Fournier.

This just has the makings of another disaster when teams throw out bigger wings and the Mavs counter with Brunson and Reddick to defend.

At this stage of his career I'm not sure he gives you anything more than Burke.

They just love these small guards and playing them together in tandem
Old 03-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #22
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to beholdtgfan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I would have much rather had the bigger Fournier.

This just has the makings of another disaster when teams throw out bigger wings and the Mavs counter with Brunson and Reddick to defend.

At this stage of his career I'm not sure he gives you anything more than Burke.

They just love these small guards and playing them together in tandem
But, was there ever any chance of the Mavs getting Fournier?
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #23
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Just want to take a min aside from Mavs to lol at the Rockets. Didn't they trade Lavert, who is on a friendly contract, for Oladpio who they have turned into Olynyk and Bradley?

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 03-25-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Just want to take a min aside from Mavs to lol at the Rockets. Didn't they trade Lavert, who is on a friendly contract, for Oladpio who they have turned into Olynyk and Bradley?
Rockets deserve all the crap they get.

I just feel sorry for Christian Wood. Seems like a good guy and he's stuck with the Rockets.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #25
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Evan Fournier never made any sense for the Mavs. We trade assets for him and then what? We resign him, THJ, and JRich to long terms deal in the same offseason? That's not a championship roster.

Oladipo never made sense either. We trade for him just to watch him walk to Miami? It's no secret that is where he wants to be.

You know what does make sense? Trading next to nothing for a veteran three point specialist known to be a strong locker room presence.

Last edited by tap2390; 03-25-2021 at 02:51 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:51 PM   #26
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Yeah that reminds me....why not just keep Levert? I get the health scare he had but I don't think Houston or anyone knew about it prior to the trade.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #27
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgfan View Post
But, was there ever any chance of the Mavs getting Fournier?
Considering it was the cost of just two 2nd round picks I think they had a good chance.

But I said this earlier before the deadline that Dallas would probably fall in love with Redick and claim that was the best target for this roster.

I mean we call speculate what the Mavs could offer and what teams wuld actually take from the Mavs but when you look at some these deals and what it took to get done this tells me the Mavs were just content as Donnie said with their top rotation players being very good.

Well it doesn't matter anymore they aren't beating Denver, La Clippers or Utah now anyways

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #28
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Considering it was the cost of just two 2nd round picks I think they had a good chance.

But I said this earlier before the deadline that Dallas would probably fall in love with Redick and claim that was the best target for this roster.

I mean we call speculate what the Mavs could offer and what teams wuld actually take from the Mavs but when you look at some these deals and what it took to get done this tells me the Mavs were just content as Donnie said with their top rotation players being very good.
Once again though, will you please at least be consistent and apply it to all the other teams who didn't get Fournier or Oladipo for those ridiculously lowball offers?
Old 03-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #29
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley

for Victor Oladipo....

You've gotta be shitting me.......
Old 03-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #30
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley

for Victor Oladipo....

You've gotta be shitting me.......
see this is the crap I'm talking about

we end up with Reddick and someone will spend it as if that was a better fit for the Mavs
Old 03-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #31
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

we end up with Reddick and someone will spend it as if that was a better fit for the Mavs
FWIW, I think Oladipo is washed, and I think Reddick is a better fit for the Mavs.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #32
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
FWIW, I think Oladipo is washed, and I think Reddick is a better fit for the Mavs.
LOL

Ok buddy I figured you'd put a nice spin on it

I respect your opinion

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-25-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #33
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
LOL

Ok buddy I figured you'd put a nice spin on it

I respect your opinion
I mean, that's nowhere near as ridiculous as trying to seriously argue that KP is better than Zion or Simmons, but ok to you too buddy.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:29 PM   #34
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
How is Oladipo washed but JJ Reddick is a fit for the Mavs? That doesn't even make sense lol.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #35
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
How is Oladipo washed but JJ Reddick is a fit for the Mavs? That doesn't even make sense lol.
Because we need a three point specialist- which Redick still is-, not an inefficient volume scorer who can no longer defend. That's why.

EDIT: For the record, I am NOT arguing that Redick is a better player than Oladipo.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 03-25-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #36
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

Yeah I don't care what any one says.......that deal SUCKS. How in the hell do you get Oladipo for Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley? I'm sorry but something is not right the moves these teams are making and what we are ending up with. Mavs have to be intentionally settling for these low risk type deals.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #37
purplefrog
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah I don't care what any one says.......that deal SUCKS. How in the hell do you get Oladipo for Kelly Olynyk and Avery Bradley? I'm sorry but something is not right the moves these teams are making and what we are ending up with. Mavs have to be intentionally settling for these low risk type deals.
"We like our team".
Old 03-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #38
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
I posted Donnie's comments in the trade thread

He literally said that the Mavs were content with their top 11 players and unless they could get a star player they weren't moving anyone

So basically Fournier and Oladipo wasn't better than anyone on the roster who he considers apart that top 11 I guess
Old 03-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #39
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:

Also, keep in mind that Oladipo has been very vocal for months now about the fact that he wants to play for Miami and nobody else. So it's not surprising that that Mavs- and everyone else- didn't offer more for him than Miami did, when he's UFA at the end of the season and has made it clear he's only going to be a rental for anyone other than the Heat.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #40
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Also, keep in mind that Oladipo has been very vocal for months now about the fact that he wants to play for Miami and nobody else. So it's not surprising that that Mavs- and everyone else- didn't offer more for him than Miami did, when he's UFA at the end of the season and has made it clear he's only going to be a rental for anyone other than the Heat.
seriously man are we really debating having Oladipo for half a season as opposed to keeping James freaking Johnson or Trey Burke?