Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default My Plan for Rebuilding the Mavs.

Since its the trade forum, and I am a pretty bored, here are some thoughts I was tossing around.

Trade 1:
Send Antoine Walker and Josh Howard to the Clippers for Elton Brand and Melvin Ely.

Mavs do it to get a big bruiser to play next to Dirk at the 5 spot. Even though Brand isn't a 5, he's certainly a much better option there than Walker. For the Clippers, there have been rumors that Sterling is already want to slash salary commitments for the future, and this trade allows him to dump a sizable commitment to the future. They also get a nice young piece in Howard that allows them to pull the trigger and somehow justify it. A Howard and Maggette 2/3 combo looks to be pretty promising with the imminent departure of Richardson.

Trade 2:
Send Steve Nash and Delk to Denver for a resigned Marcus Camby, Andre Miller, and resigned Jon Barry. Dallas does this to get more depth across the 5 spot. With Nash continually wearing down and looking to get a big long term contract, this makes sense for Dallas. In addition, Denver does this to get a 2 time all-star at the PG spot who can run the break effectively and provide a nice offensive compliment to Anthony. Jon Barry fits in nicely as a psuedo point guard in Nellie's system, and Miller and Camby immediately plug holes in the starting lineup and depth wise. While Miller doesn't have the offensive range that Nash does, he does allow Nellie to play him in the post, and Miller can also play the slash and kick game that Nellie loves to run.

Your team for next year looks something like this:

Brand/Camby/Bradley
Nowitzki/Najera/Ely
Jamison/Free Agent/Rookie
Finley/Daniels/Wahad
Miller/Barry/Steffanson

You now have a team of athletic players who can defend. You have a bruiser at the 5 spot to protect Nowitzki. In addition, this team automatically become's Dirk's to lead. You have perimeter defenders who are solid, and big men who can protect the guards who allow their man to get by. Its just a pipe dream on my part, but I could see it happening.

aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: My Plan for Rebuilding the Mavs.

Nice theory. I think Najera also must go. As long as their is a way to play with a small lineup, Nelson will use it. Also, i'm scared to death that Miller would get no playing time if Barry plays well. A 6-5 player that can play 1,2 & 3? One of the starters is going to get benched and i bet it's the one who can't shoot the three.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Great lineup, but I'm not sure about Camby coming off the bench. It'd be great, but is he willing to do it? I don't really know what kind of personality he is. Andre Miller looks good, and that's one trade that would make us better going forward as Nash IMO has probably peaked this year.. I love what Jon Barry brings to the table.

As for the Elton Brand trade, I'd love to have him in a Mavs uniform. However, haven't the Clippers worked pretty hard to keep him last offseason? Would Walker and Howard be enough to get him?

Oops, I just read the pipe dream part. Sorry.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Nash13, I doubt even Nellie could justify not playing both Brand and Camby just so he could play Barry and Miller. He is insane though, so there's a chance. Although Cuban would absolutely positively have to fire him for not playing them, no questions asked.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:36 AM   #5
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Well, he's not going to play Dirk, Brand, and Camby. And i doubt Brand and Dirk touch court at the same time unless we're playing the Lakers or Spurs. So we would be putting our hopes that somebody is willing to come off the bench after playing important roles for their former teams. Not everybody's like Jamison.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Old 05-02-2004, 01:16 AM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Oh, of course he's not going to play all three at the same time, that's not what I was saying. I was saying that he couldn't really justify not playing either/or next to Nowitzki. And I agree, that would also be my main concern should we somehow (pipe dream) have those players at our service, getting one of them to come off the bench.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:42 AM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

I wasn't saying playing all of them at once, but in general. Since he likes playing undersized, Camby's not playing, and neither is Bradley. It wouldn't shock me if Nelson went to Najera before Camby/Bradley. Nelson always finds a way to disappoint you.

~The Salesman
Old 05-02-2004, 03:00 AM   #8
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Kiki would have to be smoking to trade Camby and Miller for Nash. I doubt he'd trade Miller for Nash straight up.

I like trade 1 and with Sterling writing the checks in LA, they could be stupid enough to do it. If we were to pick up Elton Brand, I'd still want a center. I just don't think you're winning a title with Elton Brand playing center. Play him at the four and Dirk at the three. Not Dirk's ideal position, but for the idea of a front line featuring Dirk, Brand and any big bodied center is too good to pass up.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:09 AM   #9
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:My Plan for Rebuilding the Mavs.

I don't like the first trade. Bring me a true center, please.

The second for me it's better, but... Don't you think Camby could be easily injured again? I liked it, but I'm not completely sure about his injuries.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #10
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I have to give props to Aex. I remember even before last season started he was the only one who wanted Camby here.

Camby had an awesome year and would have helped the mavs a lot.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:28 AM   #11
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

I think the Clips can get much more for Brand.

Nash isn't going anywhere

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
Since its the trade forum, and I am a pretty bored, here are some thoughts I was tossing around.

Trade 1:
Send Antoine Walker and Josh Howard to the Clippers for Elton Brand and Melvin Ely.

Mavs do it to get a big bruiser to play next to Dirk at the 5 spot. Even though Brand isn't a 5, he's certainly a much better option there than Walker. For the Clippers, there have been rumors that Sterling is already want to slash salary commitments for the future, and this trade allows him to dump a sizable commitment to the future. They also get a nice young piece in Howard that allows them to pull the trigger and somehow justify it. A Howard and Maggette 2/3 combo looks to be pretty promising with the imminent departure of Richardson.

Trade 2:
Send Steve Nash and Delk to Denver for a resigned Marcus Camby, Andre Miller, and resigned Jon Barry. Dallas does this to get more depth across the 5 spot. With Nash continually wearing down and looking to get a big long term contract, this makes sense for Dallas. In addition, Denver does this to get a 2 time all-star at the PG spot who can run the break effectively and provide a nice offensive compliment to Anthony. Jon Barry fits in nicely as a psuedo point guard in Nellie's system, and Miller and Camby immediately plug holes in the starting lineup and depth wise. While Miller doesn't have the offensive range that Nash does, he does allow Nellie to play him in the post, and Miller can also play the slash and kick game that Nellie loves to run.

Brand/Camby/Bradley
Nowitzki/Najera/Ely
Finley/Daniels/Wahad
Miller/Barry/Steffanson

You now have a team of athletic players who can defend. You have a bruiser at the 5 spot to protect Nowitzki. In addition, this team automatically become's Dirk's to lead. You have perimeter defenders who are solid, and big men who can protect the guards who allow their man to get by. Its just a pipe dream on my part, but I could see it happening.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Sterling really likes Brand. If he trades Brand he wants someone that will fill the seats at the Staples Center Walker isn't that guy. Miller just doesn't impress me that much. The changes seem to drastic for me.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl
I don't like the first trade. Bring me a true center, please.

The second for me it's better, but... Don't you think Camby could be easily injured again? I liked it, but I'm not completely sure about his injuries.
id still rather have brand. the wing spans of both players are the same. and brand is probably the better low post defender although its neglible at best.

who cares whether the mavs take camby or brand anyways? its like a homeless man trying to decide whether filet mignon or prime rib is better when all he has is a half used bag of instant noodles.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Trade 1:

Trade 2:

Brand/Camby/Bradley
Nowitzki/Najera/Ely
Finley/Daniels/Wahad
Miller/Barry/Steffanson

I like the "out of the box" thinking here.... I don't think it will happen, but good thoughts.

I want to change your lineup just a little though, and see what you think.
Sign Ostertag.

Camby, Bradley, Ostertag
Brand, Ely, Najera
Nowitzki, Jamison
Daniels, Finley,
Miller, Barry
IR: TAW, Fortson, Stefansson

Starting lineup has size, defense, inside play (Brand), outside shooting (Nowitzki), Slashing ability (Daniels), Creativity (Miller), and Clean up duty in Camby. Defense would be better with Camby/Brand/Nowitzki, and the deficiency of Nowitzki defense could be helped by having Camby/Bradley/Ostertag in as shotblockers.

2nd Team would feature Finley/Jamison/Barry for scoring and have Ely/Najera for enery, and a Big for Defense and Clean up duty. Nowitzki would move to the 4, and switch in and out with Brand for a break.

I can see some matchup nightmares in this lineup that wouldn't hurt near as much on the defensive end.

Quote:
from Simon 2

I think the Clips can get much more for Brand.

Nash isn't going anywhere
I agree, but who knows, if you don't call? ? ?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:01 PM   #15
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

dont know if i would be too hot on starting a lineup of camby, brand, and nowitzki. dirk had some serious issues being guarded by 3's and while we'd all like dirk to take the 3 to the post every single time, let's face it --- he won't do it.

with camby on the bench and jamison starting, this allows dirk to play his natural 4 spot. it also creates a ton of offensive mismatches. the bonus to this is that you don't have to run a lot of plays for brand, and hes a good rugged compliment to dirk.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #16
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I like Camby. I've always thought he would be a good fit here because of his abilities to do a lot of different things - rebound, defend, run the floor, etc.

I wish I thought we could get him.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #17
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
dont know if i would be too hot on starting a lineup of camby, brand, and nowitzki. dirk had some serious issues being guarded by 3's and while we'd all like dirk to take the 3 to the post every single time, let's face it --- he won't do it.

with camby on the bench and jamison starting, this allows dirk to play his natural 4 spot. it also creates a ton of offensive mismatches. the bonus to this is that you don't have to run a lot of plays for brand, and hes a good rugged compliment to dirk.
The beauty of Camby, Brand, Nowitzki is on the defensive side. All three can block shots at least a little.
The offensive beauty is that if Dirk is at three, then the offense runs through Brand. If they double, Dirk is wide open for the 3, and Camby is still backside for rebounding.

I do agree that Dirk is a natural 4, and moving him doesn't make much sense. But moving him to the 5 makes less sense because he gets beat up, and draws needless fouls.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #18
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchangeTrade 1:

Trade 2:
Send Steve Nash and Delk to Denver for a resigned Marcus Camby, Andre Miller, and resigned Jon Barry.
As much as I love Josh Howard, I would do Trade 1 to get Elton Brand. I love that kid too. He would provide the inside offense to compliment Dirk's outside game. The Mavs would finally have a legit inside-outside game.

I don't like trading Nash away. I'm not that impressed with Camby (plus his health is always going to be an issue). I like Andre Miller, but he is not necessarily a defensive upgrade when defending the quicker guards like Bibby & Parker. Jon Barry is a good role player, but again he's not enough to make this trade good enough for me.

If I were to trade Nash to get size, then I would look elsewhere. Like Chicago to get one of their young big guys (talk about a pipe dream).

Good thread though, Aex.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:19 PM   #19
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Isn't there talk of Chicago wanting to move one of its big babies this summer? I'd think the Mavs could use either of them, and a nice expiring contract like Antoine Walker's may just do the trick.

4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote