Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-21-2003, 10:13 PM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Trouble in my backyard...

Coppell coach faces allegations
Chasteen denies claims that he physically abused players

08:45 PM CDT on Thursday, August 21, 2003

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

COPPELL – The parents of three former Coppell High School basketball players have filed a grievance with the school district alleging that coach Brad Chasteen "punched and pushed" their sons, one of the parents said. A Coppell school board hearing to discuss the grievance has been scheduled for Wednesday, board member Bennett Ratliff said. Chasteen, one of the area's most successful coaches, denied any wrongdoing.

"No parent has ever contacted me, the CISD athletic director or the Coppell High School principal to complain about anything negative concerning me as a coach in the seven years that I've been at Coppell," Chasteen said. "And secondly, I've never physically harmed a student-athlete and would never dream of doing such." Chris Nowell, the father of Stephen Nowell, said that he and Warren and Susan Creason, the parents of Stuart Creason, and Phillip and Susan Gaston, the parents of Bryan Gaston, have signed the complaint. All three players graduated this year.

Four former players and four parents described incidents involving unwanted physical contact between Chasteen and players in 15 pages of signed statements given to The Dallas Morning News by José Portela Jr., a Dallas lawyer whom the parents have hired. Portela and Chris Nowell said the parents would ask the board that Chasteen be removed as coach.

Other than Nowell, none of the parents who signed the complaint would comment for this story. Coppell district superintendent Jeff Turner, school principal Jimmy Spann and former district athletic director Joe Barnett, who became Irving athletic director this summer, also declined to comment, saying it was a personnel matter. Chris Nowell said Chasteen punched his son in the chest during halftime of a game against Keller during the 2001-02 season. Nowell said his son told him about it but that neither confronted Chasteen.

"My son came up to me after the game and started crying," Nowell said. "Brad has a little technique where he grabs a kid's jersey, pulls them back and punches their chest. I was livid about this, but my son asked me not to say anything because if I did, he wouldn't be able to play."

Past accusation

This isn't the first time Chasteen has been accused in a confrontation with a student, according to records obtained by Portela through an open-records request to the Coppell ISD. A letter dated Dec. 1, 1997 to Chasteen from then-superintendent Wilburn "Buddy" Echols states that during a physical education class on Nov. 5, 1997, Chasteen "threw a basketball at a student twice, striking him on the head the second time. The student then responded with disrespectful comments and cursing and you struck him on the side of the head with your open palm."

The letter states that Chasteen agreed to a six-day suspension without pay and was notified similar behavior could result in his firing. Chasteen also agreed to receive counseling. Chasteen declined to comment about the incident. "Coach Chasteen and the student had a great relationship, and when the incident was over, it was by mutual agreement by both the student and the coach that the student stay in the P.E. class," Echols said. "Based on the information I would have and the feedback I have had with Brad dealing with kids in classes and on his teams, he's one of the most positive influences on kids."

Jim Wall, whose sons Hunter and Ryan played for Chasteen at Coppell, said they never had a problem with him. "I've coached against him for 13 years, and my kids have played for him for seven years and are better players because of it," said Wall, boys basketball coach at Fort Worth Western Hills. "My kids love him." Chasteen has a 346-163 record in 15 seasons, the first eight at South Grand Prairie. He has led teams to the playoffs 12 consecutive seasons. Last season, Coppell lost in the regional semifinals to finish 32-5. Nowell said he, the Creasons and Gastons chose not to come forward until their sons had completed their careers at Coppell.

Incidents described

Eric Leininger, a starter last season, listed six incidents in his statement of unwarranted physical contact between Chasteen and players that he had witnessed. He and Stuart Creason described an incident in which Chasteen allegedly shoved or punched Creason in the chest with a closed fist at halftime of a game against Southlake Carroll last season.

Creason, a 7-footer who weighs about 250 pounds, said in his statement: "Coach Chasteen walked in, forcefully grabbed my jersey and pushed me back. I hit the locker behind me with my shoulders, which prevented me from falling to the floor." Leininger and Creason also described an incident that allegedly occurred on the bench during the second half of a playoff game against Colleyville Heritage last season. Leininger stated: "I noticed Coach Chasteen grab [player] Brian Hicks. Brian Hicks told him not to grab him and Coach Chasteen said, 'I can do whatever I want with you and you can't do a thing about it.' " Former players Stephen Nowell and Grant Wiede also submitted statements.

Chris Nowell said he was part of a group of parents who met with Turner on May 9. "Dr. Turner had a notepad out, and he didn't take one note the entire meeting, which bothered me a lot," Nowell said. "He said he would go and fully investigate this." Nowell said he, the Creasons and Gastons and Portela met again with Turner and a lawyer representing the school in July but weren't satisfied with the investigation. Portela said he and the parents will be allowed 20 minutes to state their case during the hearing Wednesday.

--- Very odd side note...both Creason and Gaston assisted Chateeen at Coppell's b-ball camp this summer. The Sock plays against/knows all these guys.

Old 08-21-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trouble in my backyard...

Very unfortunate. Kids should not be subjected to this kind of behavior.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote