Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-20-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NCAA Approves Baylor request to release transfer rules. Good news/Bad news

Several players already planning to leave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

A mass exodus from Baylor could occur after the NCAA approved a waiver allowing players to transfer and play immediately this season without serving a one-year in residence penalty.

NCAA spokesperson Jeff Howard confirmed to ESPN.com on Wednesday that the waiver has been granted. That offers Baylor players some relief from a tumultuous summer from the tragic death of teammate Patrick Dennehy, the arrest of Baylor's Carlton Dotson for the alleged murder, NCAA violations and a cover-up by former head coach Dave Bliss of illegal tuition payments for Dennehy and Corey Herring.

The waiver also means Wooden preseason all-American Lawrence Roberts will be able to play immediately at Mississippi State. Roberts, the Bears' leading scorer and rebounder last season, announced Monday that he was transferring to Mississippi State for his final two seasons of eligibility.

The NCAA wanted to speed up the process of the waiver, since many schools start classes this week (Baylor starts Monday).

"The NCAA did the right thing,'' Mississippi State coach Rick Stansbury said. "This wasn't just for Lawrence but for all of those kids.''

Junior guard Kenny Taylor announced Tuesday that he was transferring to Texas. Taylor can play this season for the Longhorns but he must wait to hear from the Big 12 if he has one or two seasons of eligibility remaining. The penalty for transferring within the Big 12 is sitting out one year (per NCAA rules) and losing one year of eligibility. The waiver only provides relief from having to sit out one year.

Baylor president Robert Sloan plans to lobby for Taylor to not lose a year of eligibility under Big 12 rules. Taylor is expected to have that penalty rescinded.

Incoming freshman Tyrone Nelson has opted to attend Prairie View A&M instead of Baylor. But he must get clearance from the National Letter of Intent committee if he wants to play this season after breaking his commitment. The committee has been lenient with players who go through coaching changes, and Nelson is expected to be able to play this season.

Junior guard John Lucas III has a release and is looking at Memphis, Georgia, Rutgers, Oklahoma State and San Diego State. Roberts led the Bears with a 15.2-point average, with Lucas averaging 13.3 points and Taylor averaging 11.8 points.

Seniors Matt Sayman and R.T. Guinn originally had committed to stay at Baylor but that was prior to the NCAA's decision. Newcomers Harvey Thomas and Carl Marshall and returnees Terrance Thomas, Tommy Swanson, Corey Herring and Ellis Kidd Jr. also might all look for new destinations.

Sayman's father, Lloyd Sayman, said Wednesday night that the ruling doesn't change anything for his son.

"This whole mess involves half-a-dozen people and we're not going to throw away what Baylor stands for,'' Sayman said.

Baylor and the Big 12 are adamant that the school still will field a team even if the Bears don't have a single scholarship player remaining. Baylor president Robert Sloan said the Bears will put a team on the court. Shutting down the program for a season isn't an option because of contractual obligations for the Big 12, non-conference games and radio and television.

Meanwhile, the search for a new coach continues. Sam Houston State's Bob Marlin, Samford's Jimmy Tillette, Texas-Pan American's Bob Hoffman, Central Missouri State's Kim Anderson and Indiana assistant John Treloar have all been mentioned but not officially contacted. Butler assistant and former Liberty coach Jeff Meyer also could be added to the list.

The addition of Roberts puts puts the Bulldogs back in contention in the SEC West after losing junior Mario Austin and incoming freshman Travis Outlaw to the NBA draft. The Bulldogs were also supposed to get 6-10 Wojciecek Barycz of Poland but he signed a contract with Benetton Treviso of Italy.

Roberts chose Mississippi State over Arizona and Indiana without taking visits to the latter two schools. Roberts' grandparents on his father's side are from Gulfport, Miss., and his mother's family is from Louisiana.

"There was no sales pitch,'' Stansbury said of Roberts' visit last weekend. "He compared the programs and saw who had the most need.''

The Bulldogs are strong on the perimeter with Timmy Bowers, freshman point Gary Ervin and incoming Iowa State transfer Shane Power. But the front-court returners -- Ontario Harper, Winsome Frazier, Branden Vincent and Marcus Campbell.-- are inexperienced and were unproductive last season. None of the four players averaged more than 7.3 points a game.

"Lawrence can step in here and really be a factor for us,'' Stansbury said. "He can take us to the level that we have been before. We recruited Travis Outlaw for four years and lose him to the NBA before he gets here and we recruit Lawrence for four days and get him. He's a great kid and we're fortunate to have him.''

Roberts said Monday night that he wanted to go to Mississippi State because he would be the center of the team. He's expecting to be the go-to player.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2003, 09:17 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Default NCAA Approves Baylor request to release transfer rules. Good news/Bad news

I am glad that the NCAA has allowed this as these players deserve to play for games that matter. Kudos to the NCAA fro getting one right. It also tells me that the NCAA is in agreement with Baylor's investigative approach which is good news. The bad news is that we are losing some damn fine young men. I wish them nothing but the best and thank them for their time here.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I forget when, but the U of Texas once had to field a team of mostly walk-ons.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 10:28 PM   #4
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

I am just wondering when Baylor will be even a factor in NCAA or College football.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
I am just wondering when Baylor will be even a factor in NCAA or College football.
About two years from now.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:46 AM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Didn't AD Stanton say during the search for a new football coach that he was looking for a "Dave Bliss kind of coach"?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:40 AM   #7
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Doc, why do you think they will be a factor, just curious.

I'm also curiouus what the over/under for big 12 wins this season for the basketball program.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:58 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: grbh
Doc, why do you think they will be a factor, just curious.

I'm also curiouus what the over/under for big 12 wins this season for the basketball program.
I am basing that on Morris' success at Kentucky. I think Baylor will be a middle plus team in two years. As for the over under for basketball, it has to be very low. Something like 2-3.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:30 PM   #9
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

That is positive thinking doc. I think Baylor will be forever the Big 12 bottom dweller with Kansas. Too much damage has gone on and now the big state schools are all becoming powers. I hope I am wrong though.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

If you think back, Baylor has always (before our recent decline) been known as one of those teams on the schedule that would scare the crap out of other teams. They played that way for decades, even in lean years in terms of wins. Especially up to and during the Teaff years. Morris reminds me a lot of Coach Teaff. He was very successful in the SEC at lowly Kentucky. Now, UK is considered a tough win. They won 9 games last year. He has turned around programs quickly at several levels. I think he can do it again here. Positive thinking? I think it is just good old fashioned confidence.

The current Baylor team is lean in depth and average at the skill positions. Morris is a proven recruiter. It will get better sooner than later.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:07 PM   #11
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Baylor had a very good reputation with Grant. I was there when we beat GA. Tech, Arizona, UT, Fresno state (with Dilfer) and OU(I believe we beat OU). Although things have changed. At the time, A&M was a top 10 team but UT and OU were in decline. Now all three look like they are setting up a big time battle year in, year out. Throw in a improving OSU progam and a Tech team that will pop its head into the upper tier every once and a while and there is not much left. Throw in games against KSU, Colorado and Nebraska and Baylor will need a miraculous season just to get 5-6 wins. The Big 12 is just too tough. Just as Vanderbilt can't win in the SEC, I don't see Baylor winning in the Big 12.

For the last few years, I have used Kansas state as a team Baylor should emulate. Although there are many Kansas State turnarounds. I hope I am wrong though.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 10:30 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chicago JK
Baylor had a very good reputation with Grant. I was there when we beat GA. Tech, Arizona, UT, Fresno state (with Dilfer) and OU(I believe we beat OU). Although things have changed. At the time, A&M was a top 10 team but UT and OU were in decline. Now all three look like they are setting up a big time battle year in, year out. Throw in a improving OSU progam and a Tech team that will pop its head into the upper tier every once and a while and there is not much left. Throw in games against KSU, Colorado and Nebraska and Baylor will need a miraculous season just to get 5-6 wins. The Big 12 is just too tough. Just as Vanderbilt can't win in the SEC, I don't see Baylor winning in the Big 12.

For the last few years, I have used Kansas state as a team Baylor should emulate. Although there are many Kansas State turnarounds. I hope I am wrong though.

It is easy to understand where you are coming from. I've seen Baylor play at the level I am hoping for consistently. I just refuse to think that we can't improve this team to a competetitive level again.