Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-18-2003, 01:07 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default (11) Texas 89, Brown 51

(11) Texas 89, Brown 51

AUSTIN, Texas (Ticker) -- Texas had few problems with its frontcourt, but the backcourt remains a work in progress.

Freshman P.J. Tucker scored 18 points and James Thomas grabbed 19 rebounds as 11th-ranked Texas posted an 89-51 victory over Brown in the NABC Classic.

Behind Thomas, a 6-8 senior and Tucker, the Longhorns dominated Brown inside. Tucker had 13 rebounds as Texas held a 62-33 advantage on the boards and Thomas collected seven of Texas' 24 offensive rebounds.

While the play of its bigger players was not a problem, Texas' backcourt struggled, especially senior Royal Ivey - who was moved to point guard to replace last year's national Player of the Year T.J. Ford.

Ivey, who did play point guard as a freshman, struggled Monday. He finished with just six points, two assists and three turnovers in 23 minutes.

Brown last faced Texas in 1987 - a game that the Bears won. But this time, they shot just 30 percent (19-of-63), committed 20 turnovers and were done in by a 23-11 run to start the second half.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2003, 01:13 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: (11) Texas 89, Brown 51

Ivey is not Ford, but I am hoping he can adjust. I know he's played the 1 before, so it shouldn't take long. But he sure did struggle tonight.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:22 AM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: (11) Texas 89, Brown 51

I never looked at Ivey as a true PG even though he played the position before Ford got there. You have to love his defense though. He's one of the best defensive guards in the country. Edgar Moreno looked ok in stretches.

Although they weren't falling last night, I expect them to be a better 3-point shooting team with the addition of Kenny Taylor and with Sydmil Harris getting more looks.

Thomas and Tucker have already developed good chemistry down low. I want to see if that carries over to the games against the big boys. I can’t wait to see how they stack up against AZ and Duke in NY. Duke is loaded at guard.

For an Ivy League school, Brown takes a lot of dumb shots.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:34 AM   #4
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:(11) Texas 89, Brown 51

Quote:
For an Ivy League school, Brown takes a lot of dumb shots.
*giggle*

I'm not sure why that is so funny but it is.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:06 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

dude, girl's 'giggle'..
guys 'chuckle'
Old 11-18-2003, 10:19 AM   #6
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
dude, girl's 'giggle'..
guys 'chuckle'
Tell it to dooby. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:14 PM   #7
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Ivey is a serviceable point man, but the one who looks like a point is TJ's old backcourt buddy in H.S. Kenny Taylor who is listed as a shooting guard (and boy did he look silky at that last night), also looked like he could handle the point.

Some Taylor's passess looke Ford-esque. I think it's work a look for Barnes, especially if they're playing some of the patsy teams.

The horns looked good and they're not even at full-strength. Buckner was in street-clothes. I almost want to see them against a legit team to see how good they really are.

I'm ready for some college hoops!
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:45 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

buckner?
you mean buckman?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:09 PM   #9
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, yeah what you said.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:14 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Ivey is a serviceable point man, but the one who looks like a point is TJ's old backcourt buddy in H.S. Kenny Taylor who is listed as a shooting guard (and boy did he look silky at that last night), also looked like he could handle the point.

Some Taylor's passess looke Ford-esque. I think it's work a look for Barnes, especially if they're playing some of the patsy teams.

The horns looked good and they're not even at full-strength. Buckner was in street-clothes. I almost want to see them against a legit team to see how good they really are.

I'm ready for some college hoops!
He may be serviceable, but Kenny Taylor has never played the point. He played next to TJ in high school and Lucas at Baylor. I'd still go with Ivey since he did play there a whole year.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:03 PM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

I know he's inexperienced at the point, but he has the instincts of a passer. Did you see his passess in the game?

Ivey will start at the point guard, but I think Kenny can learn the position and serve as a backup (granted maybe even behind Moreno).

Hook 'em!
Old 11-18-2003, 04:21 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Hoops: Texas, Tucker Trounce Brown In Opener

Bill Frisbie - InsideTexas.com
November 18, 2003 at 12:35am ET
T.J. is gone; P.J. is here.

Freshman P.J. Tucker , the 6-5 forward from Tobacco Road, came out smoking Monday in Texas’ 89-51 home opening win over Brown (that would be the Ivy League university, not the football coach). The Raleigh product tied the school’s freshman debut record for points (18) while breaking the freshman debut mark for rebounds (13).

"I went out there and played as hard as I could the whole game," said Tucker, who led all scorers after draining 7-of-11 buckets in just 21 minutes of work. "I think I did all right for my first game. My teammates gave me the ball in the best spots. I missed a couple plays that I should have made but, overall, I did all right."

In this case, "all right" translates into the best coming-out party (statistically) for a Longhorn hoopster in 25 years. The last time a Texas freshman recorded a double-double in his collegiate debut was when Ron Baxter turned the trick at the start of the 1977-78 season.

Head coach Rick Barnes is so sold on Tucker that the only thing that surprised him about the freshman’s performance was that he missed two free throws (4-of-6).

"P.J. is just a basketball player," Barnes said. "He just has a feel for the game. P.J. is a guy who can go out and guard people. He’s a post player inside but working his way to the perimeter each day. He has a great knack for scoring."

As expected, senior G Royal Ivey ran the floor during Day One of the post-T.J. Ford era, but the point will also be run by committee this season. The New York native, who started at point guard for 23 games during his freshman season, had but two assists against three turnovers in 23 minutes. Ivey, the best defensive guard in the Big 12, was 3-of-7 for six points and added three steals to his line score.

Barnes benched Ivey for picking up a silly first-half foul, stating that "those add up" and can become costly should your point guard get into foul trouble. Junior college transfer Edgar Moreno ran the show for 20 minutes, contributing two assists, six points (2-of-3) and no turnovers.

Yet speedy shooting guard Kenny Taylor looked the most fluid when pushing the ball up court, adding three dazzling dishes that were actually reminiscent of you-know-who. The Baylor transfer hit 4-of-10 from three-point land to finish with 12 points and one steal in his Longhorn debut.

"Kenny looks like he has point guard skills," Barnes observed. "He has good vision. He really handled the ball."

Junior C Jason Klotz started in place of senior C James Thomas after the Chairman of the Boards tweaked an ankle in last week’s exhibition game. Yet Thomas quickly established himself, grabbing 19 rebounds (that’s no misprint) in 23 minutes. The senior now has 905 career rebounds, trailing only Baxter, Chris Mihm and LaSalle Thompson on UT's all-time list.

"My teammates helped me get that accomplished," Thomas said, "but I’m not done yet."

Senior F Brian Boddicker , starting in place of sophomore F Brad Buckman (ankle), tallied 8 of Texas’ first 11 points as the Horns held a four point lead in the ragged opening minutes. Taylor got on the stat sheet for the first time in a Longhorn uniform when he drained a trey to make it 16-7 at the 13:29 mark. Tucker’s jumper at the top of the key two minutes later completed a 9-0 run as Texas led, 20-7.

Following G Brandon Mouton ’s trey, Thomas’ layup gave Texas its largest lead of the first half, 32-14, with 4:21 remaining until intermission. Tucker’s putback gave the Horns a 38-21 advantage at halftime. Mouton finished as the game’s second-leading scorer with 16 points (6-of-13 FG, including 2-of-3 treys).

Texas doubled-up the visitors, 50-25, following Tucker’s layup with 13:43 remaining. It was also the Longhorns’ first transition bucket against Brown’s zone defense. Zones, of course, were particularly irksome for Texas last season even before facing Syracuse’s patented defense in the National Semifinal game. The Horns shot 42.9 percent (33-of-77) from the field, including 6-of-21 treys. Texas didn’t exactly tear it up from the free throw line, hitting 17-of-28 (60.7 percent).

"Obviously that’s not good enough and we missed a lot of easy ones around the basket," Barnes said. "We need to be able to convert against zone. We did okay at times."

Despite the lopsided margin, Texas was never quite able to get into a rhythm against an outmatched opponent (to be expected during the first game of the season). The Horns controlled the tempo by controlling the boards, pulling down a monster 62 rebounds resulting in 28 second-chance points.

Brown, the Ivy League runner-up last season, launched almost as many airballs as did Texas Tech QB B.J. Symons at Royal-Memorial Stadium Saturday. The visitors were an ice-cold 19-of-63 (30.2 percent) from the field including 4-of-22 (18.2 percent) from three-point range.

But the night belonged to Tucker. Nearly all the Carolina schools recruited him early in his prep career but backed off when his grades began to slip.

"Texas stayed with me, and that’s why I’m here right now," Tucker said.

His freshman debut elicited praise even from a hardnosed senior.

"With the addition of P.J., we can go long away," Thomas said. "He can rebound and he can score down low. He’s a good asset for us."

Keeping in mind that "We are the Joneses", the new-look Erwin Center now boasts a ring of 28 luxury suites at the top of the arena section, increasing capacity to 16,837 (largest in the Big 12). The arena now features an amped-up Jumbotron scoreboard and LCD screen. (This way you can keep current with important information such as Tucker’s field goal percentage as well as his favorite movies.)

Even so, there was room to roam in the cavernous Drum as a paltry 6,391 turned out for the season-opener of a nationally ranked team that returns four starters from the most successful squad in school history. Checking in this week at No. 11 (coaches poll) and No. 12 (Associated Press), Texas set a new school record for consecutive weeks in the AP poll (20).

The Horns are now 22-5 in home openers since the Erwin Center opened prior to the 1977-78 season. Texas’ next contest is set for 7 p.m., Monday, Nov. 24 against Sam Houston State at the Drum.

Old 11-18-2003, 04:28 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

It's nice when your comments get validated by the coach. Thanks Rick! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]