Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler will become famous soon enough
Default ***Gagne traded to Boston***

Gagne likely headed to Boston
Ken Rosenthal
FOXSports.com

The Red Sox are on the verge of winning the Eric Gagne sweepstakes, pending his approval and a review of his medical records, according to major-league sources.

Gagne must waive his no-trade clause to Boston for the deal to be completed. It is possible the Red Sox will allow him to share the closer's role with Jonathan Papelbon.
The Rangers would receive right-hander Kason Gabbard and an additional player or players in the deal, sources say.

Before reaching agreement with the Red Sox, the Rangers had discussed trading Gagne to the Mets, Yankees and Brewers. He could have been sent to each of those teams without his permission.

Gagne could reject the deal because of his desire to remain a closer with the Rangers rather than share the role with Papelbon or become his setup man.

The Red Sox also could attempt to persuade him to waive his no-trade protection by guaranteeing all or part of his remaining $3.65 million in potential bonuses for games finished.

any info on this Kason Gabbard?
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

He's had a real solid year this year at AAA, but I don't think he was thought of as much of a prospect before this year.

I would say the "other player/players" are probably not just throwins. Gagne had a lot of value.

BTW, this was already posted in the Ranger season thread, although the Tex thread got enough posts that this might warrant a new thread. Just FYI.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

I would have really liked to have seen something better for Gagne.

EDIT: Though, looking at his track record, there are some things I like. High GO/AO ratios, fair strikeout ratios. A bit old for his leagues, though. It took him three years to get through AA.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 07-31-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm interested in seeing if the Rangers truly will make a run at Gagne in the off season.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I'm interested in seeing if the Rangers truly will make a run at Gagne in the off season.
I am too, although I think it's a long shot assuming this trade goes through. I don't think this team is gearing up for next season.

Although, their payroll is going to be so stinking low, you could really hand Gagne a big, long deal and still be well, well below the general area that the Rangers have had their payroll the last few season. Even more so assuming Arod opts out of his deal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's look at the lineup and see whether or not they're gearing up for next year or the year after:

C - Laird
1B - Salty
2nd - Kinsler
SS - Young
3B - Blalock
OF/DH - combo of Wilkerson/Byrd/Botts(please God)/Cat/Murphy?

Rotation
Millwood
Padilla
Loe/Hurley/Harrison/Gabbard/Volquez/Tejeda

You could make an argument that a key signing here or there could have this team competing for the playoffs. Of course, they'd be counting on Blalock coming back healthy... guys such as Kinsler and Cat returning to form a bit as well as Padilla and Millwood....

And, of course you could make the argument that it's a .500 team with alot of young kids and a couple of #3's in the rotation along with a ton of unproven starters. But, I think that the talent is there to at least make a serious run at finishing over .500 next year and competing for the playoffs the year after.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

You've got some OF slots to fill, that's for sure.

You left McCarthy off your rotation.

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to purusing Gagne for a 3-4 year deal this offseason.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler will become famous soon enough

Gagne headed to Boston
Ken Rosenthal
FOXSports.com, Updated 4 minutes ago STORY TOOLS:

The Red Sox scored one of the biggest coups at the non-waiver trade deadline Tuesday, acquiring right-hander Eric Gagne from the Rangers.

Gagne, 31, waived his no-trade clause to Boston in exchange for financial considerations. The Red Sox also assured Gagne that he will close games on nights that Jonathan Papelbon is unavailable.
In return for Gagne, the Rangers received left-hander Kason Gabbard, Class AAA center fielder David Murphy and Class A outfielder Engel Beltre, sources say. Beltre is just 17 years old.

Before reaching agreement with the Red Sox, the Rangers had discussed trading Gagne to the Mets, Yankees and Brewers. He could have been sent to each of those teams without his permission.

We sure are adding alot of young talent.....17?
Dirk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
You've got some OF slots to fill, that's for sure.

You left McCarthy off your rotation.

Yeah, I wouldn't be opposed to purusing Gagne for a 3-4 year deal this offseason.
I believe that Cat can play on this team... or just about any team. He's just having a crappy year, but he's been a very good hitter his entire career. Maybe a spot can be filled in the OF via the miracle of free agency and maybe Byrd and/or Cruz can stick. I suppose the last several weeks of the season will be interesting. I'd expect Murphy to get a shot rather quickly as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Darth Ape
Banned

Darth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to beholdDarth Ape is a splendid one to behold

Is Gabbard left handed or right handed? The initial press release post in this thread claims he's a righty. The second claims he's a lefty.
Darth Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

He's a lefty.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-31-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Well I might actually get to see Gagne live this season after all.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:07 PM   #13
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

making a run at Gagne this offseason is pretty much out, I would think, since now you would have to give up a first round pick to sign him as long as Boston offers arbitration, which they will. That would be counter-productive in my opinion to the new plan of rebuilding.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

I don't think the Rangers would have to give up a #1 due to their record this year.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:46 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I don't think the Rangers would have to give up a #1 due to their record this year.
Right. I believe they'd give up the 2nd rounder, dude to being in the bottom half of records.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
me770706

me770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the roughme770706 is a jewel in the rough

dave murphy was a first round pick and the 17 yr old kid they got is said to have superstar potential, so i dont think we did too bad. it's not like we need gagne this season
me770706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #17
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
I believe that Cat can play on this team... or just about any team. He's just having a crappy year, but he's been a very good hitter his entire career. Maybe a spot can be filled in the OF via the miracle of free agency and maybe Byrd and/or Cruz can stick. I suppose the last several weeks of the season will be interesting. I'd expect Murphy to get a shot rather quickly as well.
You need to qualify this or something. Cat can be a very good platoon DH for a team that doesn't need power from the DH spot. He can't field a lick. He has a sissy arm and he can only hit righties at a decent clip. All in all he was absolutely a terrible signing this last offseason. For a team like the Rangers who are in the rebuilding (rebuilding from being bad I guess?) phase having guys like Cat, Wilk, and Sosa make zero sense. None of the three can play solid D and all are streak hitters. These really aren't the kind of guys that can help a young team or even a solid team. Just my 2 cents.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP
You need to qualify this or something. Cat can be a very good platoon DH for a team that doesn't need power from the DH spot. He can't field a lick. He has a sissy arm and he can only hit righties at a decent clip. All in all he was absolutely a terrible signing this last offseason. For a team like the Rangers who are in the rebuilding (rebuilding from being bad I guess?) phase having guys like Cat, Wilk, and Sosa make zero sense. None of the three can play solid D and all are streak hitters. These really aren't the kind of guys that can help a young team or even a solid team. Just my 2 cents.
Wilkerson is an above average defensive left fielder, and has an adequate arm to play right field.

Cat is a below average defender in left, but he's not going to kill you. And Cat can most certainly contribute to a more than solid team.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

GP, I don't have a problem with anything that Cat has done in the field for this team... not one bit. I'd be fine going with him next season as a starter at Left Field. I don't need to qualify what I've said about Cat at all. I'm not sure what you've seen this year that would make you think he's bad in the outfield. No, he doesn't have a great arm at all, but he's definitely made the plays that he should make. He'll never be above average in the outfield. But, he is a smart player that makes the plays that he can make.

Last edited by Murphy3; 08-06-2007 at 04:17 PM.