Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-25-2003, 08:06 PM   #1
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default The US team

Are you worried that they can't classify for the Olympics?

Not even Argentina could defeat even the US' bench. IMO.

And there are several places available from the Pre Olympics of Puerto Rico. (Don't remember how many)

I think the US should be thinking and planning for the winning of the gold medal in Athens. To make this selection and to work with it for a year, with sporadic trainings and games, creating and dominating a system, and not changing players, except for an important reason.

I remember when it was a priority, a necessity, to defeat the russians, when the team was made with amateurs. Now it should be the same with the professionals.

Old 07-26-2003, 01:26 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Default RE: The US team

I'm thinking the US team isn't a passion around here.

Maybe cause there is no Mav in it? Maybe.

And Finley declining didn't help much.

Would you mind to give us your ticket for Athens? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2003, 07:42 PM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's sad really. You're right about the US not as passionate about it's sports as the world is. I remember posters here hoping to see Dirk and Germany beat the US.

We had the world games on our land and you couldn't hear a cheer for them with the world team supporters hollering.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:15 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Default The US team

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
It's sad really. You're right about the US not as passionate about it's sports as the world is. I remember posters here hoping to see Dirk and Germany beat the US.

We had the world games on our land and you couldn't hear a cheer for them with the world team supporters hollering.
Saddly -for this place-, the low supported US soccer team, seems to attract more passion.

Ah, I'd like to see Mexico getting a ticket for Athens. We defeated once Argentina before Indianapolis, but they won two. Again, there will have 3 practicing games between both in Mexico before the Pre Olympics, but I doubt Mexico can win this time, all the more if Najera doesn't play.

Have you ever considered that the US could lose against Argentina, Puerto Rico, México and/or Brasil in Puerto Rico? The NBA would be out of the Olympics. This would be a catastrophe.

Old 07-27-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road

The US better do better than they did last year. That was a disaster.
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:21 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The US better do better than they did last year. That was a disaster.
Oh, they will. I don't see any team beating this US ensemble.

The problem with the World Games is that none of the members of this Olympic team wanted to play and we had to send a 2nd tier unit. They wanted their summers off, but now that they can play the heroes in the media's eye, they'll suck up the attention.

Add the fact that Paul Pierce and Baron Davis worried about their stats instead of playing as a team, it spelled disaster. You had George Karl as the coach. Raef, when given minutes, actually played well, but Karl only put him in when the game was decided.

Finley was the only player that was solid across and played unselfishly. Problem was he didn't have enough guys around him to play like he was. Brand, Marion, and O'Neal were up there, but even that wasn't enough.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:38 PM   #7
Chiwas
Guru

It's the problem with the professionals; they need more than just to win a title for the country.

And you don't find Finley's in every corner.

Old 07-27-2003, 06:31 PM   #8
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default The US team

The reason no one cares in america, is because the olympics are about amatuer sports. Wasn't the whole dream team experiment was to show how dominate american basketball was over europeans who used their pro teams to play against amateurs. It would be so much more exciting if they at least put an age restriction on who could play for team usa.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:39 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Yeah, the time of the Dream Team is due. Maybe basketball shoudn't be for professionals anymore, like in the old times, or with an age restriction as you suggest. Besides, the former social countries can't argue to have only amateurs by now...and the amateurs would be pleased to compete in the Olympics for his school and country, instead of begging the pros to play.

Old 07-27-2003, 10:10 PM   #10
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default The US team

After seeing VC dunk straight over the 7'2 player, i will always be a fan of team USA.