Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-28-2003, 12:16 PM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default 7/28 ESPN Insider - the last FA's available (Anyone want TY Hill and Oggy?)

1. Lamar Odom, SF, Clippers (R)
In the mix? Heat, Nuggets, Hawks, Clippers
Outlook: That Atlanta Journal Constitution reported on Friday that the Hawks would be interested in a sign-and-trade for Odom, but the chances of that happening appear to be very slim. Odom left Miami on Wednesday without an offer sheet from the Heat. From all accounts Odom wants to play in Miami and coach Pat Riley is in love. So what's the hold up? A couple of things. First, Odom is looking for a deal that averages at least $10 million a year. That's six years, for $60 million, if you do that math. Second, because the Clippers are also interested and are giving signals that they'll match, he's also leaning toward a shorter contract. A three-year, $30 million deal would work for Odom (and likely scare off the Clippers, who were offering three years for $24 million), but at a starting salary of $9 million a year, would the Heat balk? Finally, the Heat want to wait and see what the Clippers do with Corey Maggette before making a move.
Insider Prediction: The Heat may give Odom an offer, but it looks like the Clips will match.

2. Jason Terry, SG, Hawks (R)
In the mix? Hawks, Nuggets, Sonics
Outlook: 6-foot-2 shooting guard anyone? Anyone? The market for Terry could still be open if the Clippers were to match the Jazz's and Nuggets' offers for Corey Maggette and Andre Miller, respectively.
Insider Prediction: The Hawks drafted a big point guard in Boris Diaw so they can afford to keep Terry around as a bargain.

3. Reggie Miller, SG, Pacers
In the mix? Pacers, Spurs, Nets, Lakers
Outlook: It's hard to fathom a situation where the Pacers don't re-sign Miller. Then again, Karl Malone and Gary Payton bolted for less money and a chance to win a ring; would Miller do the same?
Insider Prediction: The Pacers should be able to keep him around.

4. Stephen Jackson, SF, Spurs (R)
In the mix? Nuggets, Hawks
Outlook: With the addition of Hedo Turkoglu and Ron Mercer to the fold, Jackson is now in play. Agent Dan Fegan told the Denver Post that he's had conversations with the Nuggets about Jackson. The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported on Friday that the Hawks have interest in Jackson.
Insider Prediction: It looks like Jackson won't return to the Alamo.

5. Ognjen Askrabic, PF, Yugoslavia
In the mix? Mavs, Jazz, Nuggets, Sonics
Outlook: He's the top young free agent in Europe right now. Askrabic is the top player in the Yugoslavian league. His inside-outside game is very impressive -- he's got great range on his jumper and is tough as nails in the paint. However, he's a bit undersized to play the four and lacks the quickness to guard threes.
Insider Prediction: The Mavs have shown interest for years, but it could be the Jazz who actually land him. He could have a Gordan Giricek-type impact his rookie season.

6. Derrick Coleman, PF, Sixers
In the mix? Sixers, Pistons
Outlook: The Sixers have begun to negotiate with Coleman over a new contract, but they're not going to break the bank for him. Larry Brown would love to add him to the mix in Detroit, but the addition of Campbell probably ends that.
Insider Prediction: The Sixers give Coleman a pay cut.

7. Jumaine Jones, SF, Cavs (R)
In the mix? Sonics, T-Wolves
Outlook: Jones is proably a little underrated. He's a poor man's Robert Horry and should find some sort of club to stick with.
Insider Prediction: The Sonics could use more size and he'd probably come cheap.

8. Tyrone Hill, PF, Sixers
In the mix? Mavs, T-Wolves, Sonics
Outlook: Hill is a scrappy rebounder who should be able to contribute on a team that needs help cleaning the glass.
Insider Prediction: Look for the Mavs to bring him in if they can't get the forward they are looking for via trade.

9. Predrag Drobnjak, PF, Sonics (R)
In the mix? Sonics, Knicks, Grizzlies, Suns
Outlook: Drobnjak is another tough big man who will crash the boards and play with his back to the basket. He's also an excellent face-up shooter. The Sonics have his rights and will likely match if Drobnjak doesn't get a big offer.
Insider Prediction: Drobnjak would give the Grizzlies another big body, but it appears Jerry West has his sights set a little higher.

10. Jon Barry, SG, Pistons
In the mix? Pacers, Nets, Lakers,
Outlook: He's the best shooter left on the board. Barry's the consummate sixth man who can light it up when the game is on the line. He visted Indiana last Friday.
Insider Prediction: The Detroit News reported this weekend that the Pacers will make Barry a 4 year, $10 million dollar offer today.

11. Kenny Anderson, PG, Hornets
In the mix? ???
Outlook: He may still have personality issues, but Anderson is still a top talent. He'll land somewhere, the question is where?
Insider Prediction: Someone looking for a veteran point, think Miami, might give him a shot.

12. Jim Jackson, SF, Kings
In the mix? Kings, T-Wolves, Lakers
Outlook: Jackson had a great year in Sacramento last season, but it's unclear whether the Kings really want to keep him. They should be careful, both the T-Wolves and Lakers need bodies and he's a steal at the minimum.
Insider Prediction: Look for the Wolves to keep adding away to their roster. If the Spree trade goes down, they'll have a $1.5 million trade exception to use.

13. Earl Boykins, PG, Warriors
In the mix? Nuggets, Jazz, Pistson, Heat
Outlook: The diminutive point guard is probably out of a job now that the Warriors have decided to sign Speedy Claxton. Not to worry. Several other teams need a point guard in the worst way and Boykins has proven he can be a major spark off the bench. The Denver Post reported this weekend that the Nuggets were on the verge of making Boykins an offer.
Insider Prediction: He'd be a nice change of pace with Andre Miller in Denver.

Best of the Rest: (in order by team) Dion Glover, SG, Hawks; DerMarr Johnson, SG, Hawks; Donnell Harvey, PF, Nuggets; Travis Best, PG, Heat; LaPhonso Ellis, SF, Heat; Rafer Alston, PG, Raptors; Voshon Lenard, SG, Raptors; Samakai Walker, PF, Lakers; Vladimir Stephania, C, Heat.

Off the market (* = deal reportedly agreed to, but unsigned)

Jermaine O'Neal, Pacers: 7 years, $126 million
Tim Duncan, Spurs: 7 years, $122 million
Jason Kidd, Nets: 6 years, $103 million
Elton Brand, Clippers: 6 years, $82.2 million
Brad Miller, Kings: 7 years, $68 million Gilbert Arenas, offer sheet with Wizards: 6 years, $65 million
Richard Hamilton, Pistons: 7 years, $62 million
Andre Miller, offer sheet with Nuggets: 6 years, $51 million
Kenny Thomas, Sixers: 7 years, $50.4 million
Corey Maggette, offer sheet with Jazz: 6 years, $45 million
Rasho Nesterovic, Spurs: 6 years, $42 million
Juwan Howard, Magic: 6 years, $36.9 million
P. J. Brown, Hornets: 4 years, $32 million
James Posey, offer sheet with Grizzlies: 4 years, $23 million
Alonzo Mourning, Nets: 4 years. $22.6 million
Michael Olowokandi, T-Wolves: 3 years, $16.2 million
Kevin Ollie, Cavs: 5 years, $14.7 million
Ira Newble, Cavs: 5 years, $14.7 million
Gary Payton, Lakers: 2 years, $10.4 million
Scottie Pippen, Bulls: 2 years, $10.4 million
Speedy Claxton, Warriors: 3 years, $9.9 million
Robert Horry, Spurs: 2 years, $9 million
Elden Campbell, Pistons: 2 years, $8.4 million Eric Piatkowski, Rockets: 3 years, $8 million
Antonio Daniels, Sonics: 3 years, $6.6 million
Andrew DeClerq, Magic: 2 years, $5 million
Jake Voskuhl, Suns: 3 years, $5 million
Walter McCarty, Celtics: 3 years, $4.1 million
Jerome Moiso, Raptors: 2 years, $3.4 million
Karl Malone, Lakers: 2 years, $3.1 million
Brian Skinner, Bucks: 2 years, $3.1 million
Erick Strickland, Bucks: 2 years, $3.1 million
Tyronn Lue, Magic, 2 years, $3.1 million
Daniel Santiago, Bucks: 2 years, $2.5 million
Mark Blount, Celtics: 2 years, $1.9 million
Milt Palacio, Raptors: 2 years, $1.5 million
Scott Williams, Suns: 1 year, $1.1 million
Sean Rooks, Hornets: 1 year, $1.1 million
Anthony Johnson, Pacers: 1 year
Darrell Armstrong, Hornets: ?
Damon Jones, Bucks: ?
Amal McCaskil, Sixers: ?

Old 07-28-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default 7/28 ESPN Insider - the last FA's available (Anyone want TY Hill and Oggy?)

If we don't get Oggy, let's fire Donnie. Really, what is the point of having an international guru if we never sign international players?
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:52 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
If we don't get Oggy, let's fire Donnie. Really, what is the point of having an international guru if we never sign international players?
He did land us the contributions of Rigaudeau. That has to be considered a feather in any GM's cap.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

looking at the salaries being paid out....whatever happened to the idea that there wouldn't be much money spent and that there would be a lot of "bargains" out there...look at the players getting less than the MLE...and you won't see many "bargains, at all, IMO.

Having said that, I'll again say...get Oggy here !
Old 07-28-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

There may be some other issues with Oggie that I am not aware of (buyout, contract amount, ie: full exception requirements, etc), but I don't think I will blame Donnie if he doesn't reel in Oggie. It could be that Donnie wants him, but that his hands are tied by Cuban after the Rigadeau experiment. Watch Utah sign him and watch him have a good to decent year...12 pts, 7 rbds, 2 assts in 20-25 minutes of playing. He is going to be a good Euro....
Old 07-28-2003, 01:29 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Maringa
There may be some other issues with Oggie that I am not aware of (buyout, contract amount, ie: full exception requirements, etc), but I don't think I will blame Donnie if he doesn't reel in Oggie. It could be that Donnie wants him, but that his hands are tied by Cuban after the Rigadeau experiment. Watch Utah sign him and watch him have a good to decent year...12 pts, 7 rbds, 2 assts in 20-25 minutes of playing. He is going to be a good Euro....

If Oggy does that he will be rookie of the year. If not he will be 2nd runner.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:47 PM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

On this list, I really like Derrick Coleman, Jon Barry, and Jim Jackson. It appears Coleman could be had if a part of the MLE were offered, and the guy did, after all, put up pretty decent numbers last year. Jon Barry is a guy who can play 1 and 2 and can really shoot, as well as defend pretty well. Why wouldn't they look at him? He'd be an upgrade over Bell. And Jim Jackson? Why wouldn't they look at Jim Jackson? He'll come cheap, and could start at SF next year for this team.

I also have interest in Stephen Jackson, Ognjen Askrabic, Jumaine Jones, and Tyrone Hill. Jackson probably wants more money than he's worth, so that might not be viable. Jumaine Jones seems like he should be available, although I heard a rumor the other day that he was going elsewhere (can't remember where). Askrabic -- why don't we already have this guy signed? As high as they were on him last year, it's unfathomable to me why he's not a Maverick. Or are they now backtracking on their opinion of him like they're backtracking on everything else? Hill's no stud, but he can still board and could give us some serviceable backup 4/5 minutes.

Old 07-28-2003, 05:43 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 7/28 ESPN Insider - the last FA's available (Anyone want TY Hill and Oggy?)

I'm looking at this realistically. The Mavs are not offering much money, and only Oggy would be offered the whole MLE, imo, that's still available.

I like Tyrone Hill, and either Oggy or Jumaine Jones. I doubt we could land all 3, but if we could do it, I'd be thrilled with the off-season. It wouldn't allow us to resign Bell, but with Howard, I'd feel more comfortable about that.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #9
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Looking at the Splits, it looks like Tyrone Hill should be the guy we are after. He seems to board well and put in a few points against all of our main competition Spurs, Sac, and LA. I think back to last year and him choosing Philly when he got waived. Who knows. He is 35 so no more than the LLE and no more than 2 years. If you want a guy to get boards and bang, then I say go with Hill for a few years. If you want to get younger and get a guy that might become Hill in a few years, then go get Harvey.

Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:02 PM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

At this point in the offseason they need to treat free agency just as you should the draft. Get the best available free agent to me thats Oggy, I wouldn' t waste my time with hill anything more then the 1.5 million exception. Again D isn't nellie's mo, with zone you can hide Oggy. If we get good perimeter defense it might lift raef away from a lot of his silly fouls and at least make him average in the middle. Oggy could be a commodity for future trades much the same as hedo turkolgu did for the kings.

Jason Terry might at least be worth a look if nick goes in a trade for a viable big. I don't get why Jimmy Jackson isn't of interest to the mavs hes a good post up guard, can hit the spot up three and is a good defender.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:11 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
At this point in the offseason they need to treat free agency just as you should the draft. Get the best available free agent to me thats Oggy, I wouldn' t waste my time with hill anything more then the 1.5 million exception. Again D isn't nellie's mo, with zone you can hide Oggy. If we get good perimeter defense it might lift raef away from a lot of his silly fouls and at least make him average in the middle. Oggy could be a commodity for future trades much the same as hedo turkolgu did for the kings.

Jason Terry might at least be worth a look if nick goes in a trade for a viable big. I don't get why Jimmy Jackson isn't of interest to the mavs hes a good post up guard, can hit the spot up three and is a good defender.

How is Oggy teh bset free agent? There are plenty of proven free agents on there that can come in and contribute. I'd take Oggy but I don't want to fool with a guy the JAzz have interest in. They have cap space to sign him and he could start for that squad. He comes here he is a backup.

1996-2005
Old 07-29-2003, 03:04 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The best free agent that we can sign. Odom is out of the question , Terry don't need him, Jackson might be an okay fit. but oggy has talent and youth. Thats what I meant.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 03:31 PM   #13
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Jackson is an off and off type player, the Mavs have too many of those. NVE, Finley, Bradley. They need a consistent 3, averaging about 13 and 6. Cough Howard cough.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:36 PM   #14
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

how can you say Howard is not an on/off type player? He's never even played a game! And as for 13 and 6, that won't happen - 7 and 6 is more likely.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:36 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: one long blue sock
Jackson is an off and off type player, the Mavs have too many of those. NVE, Finley, Bradley. They need a consistent 3, averaging about 13 and 6. Cough Howard cough.

Your going to be dissapointed because no player in the NBA is consistent.

1996-2005