Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-28-2003, 05:04 PM   #1
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road
Default Another FA Gone!

Oh no. What ever will the Mavs do now? The T-wolves have signed Mark Madsen. Another post player the Mavs were unable to bring in. Will this summer ever end? Where is Don Nelson, and what the hell is Cuban doing. We have the worst front office ever! How can we possibly recover?

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2003, 05:06 PM   #2
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default Another FA Gone!

Ok, listen to what you're saying, Mark Madsen. Come on, the guy is more out of control than anyone I've ever seen play the game. They've already got one of those in Najera, they don't need another.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default Another FA Gone!

sarcasm --- look into it.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default Another FA Gone!

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
sarcasm --- look into it.

Yea. I think you need atleast 500 posts to come in with a sarcasm post.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You need some cred.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
AnMan21

Default Another FA Gone!

Especially when he's seriously bitching about the front office.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default Another FA Gone!

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21

True.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Another FA Gone!

The Timberwolves also signed Fred Hoiberg today.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:56 PM   #8
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Another FA Gone!

looks like the Timberwolves found the replacement for Gary Trent today in Madsen. I didn't think that was possible,wait... is Trent a Free Agent???? maybe he can fill the mavs void in the Post?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 05:59 PM   #9
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another FA Gone!

I know some don't want to admit it, but the Timberwolves are making some great moves this summer.

Timberwolves agree to terms with F Madsen, G Hoiberg

July 28, 2003

MINNEAPOLIS (Ticker) - Mark Madsen hopes he, Fred Hoiberg and the Minnesota Timberwolves will be dancing next June.

The Timberwolves agreed to terms with Madsen and fellow free agent Hoiberg Monday, the latest in a flurry of offseason moves to help them finally win a playoff series.

The 6-9, 245-pound Madsen averaged 3.2 points and 2.9 rebounds in 54 contests, including 22 starts, for the Los Angeles Lakers last season. The forward had entertained Laker fans with his awkward dance moves at the team's title celebrations following the prior two seasons.

"Mark improves our interior presence, as he is a physical, hard-nosed basketball player," Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale said. "He can play power forward and some center and is going to improve us every day in practice and give us a physical presence in games."

The Timberwolves also agreed to terms with Hoiberg, a guard who had played with the Chicago Bulls the last four seasons after spending his first four with the Indiana Pacers. The 6-5, 210-pound Hoiberg averaged 5.1 points and 2.6 rebounds with the Bulls last campaign, coming second in the league in steals-to-turnover ration (1.32).

"We felt that we needed another veteran player who will be able to hit some shots, and Fred fits that bill," McHale said. "He will be able to help us both in practice and in games.

Minnesota, which has never advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs, lost to the Lakers in six games last season. Since then the Timberwolves have added, among others, Latrell Sprewell, Sam Cassell and Michael Olowokandi to help support superstar forward Kevin Garnett.

Old 07-28-2003, 06:20 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Another FA Gone!
99 Bottles of Beer!
Take one down, pass it around...
98 Bottles of Beer on the Wall...

98 Bottles of Beer on the Wall!
98 Bottles of Beer!
Take one down, pass it around...

97 Bottles of Beer on the Wall...
0 Bottles of Beer on the Wall...
Old 07-28-2003, 06:25 PM   #11
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default Another FA Gone!

Quote:
sarcasm.

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: 'sär-"ka-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwar&s- to cut
Date: 1550
1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain <tired of continual sarcasms>
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm <this is no time to indulge in sarcasm>
synonym see WIT

Old 07-28-2003, 09:43 PM   #12
AnMan21

Default Another FA Gone!

the two comments were independent events - the sarcasm ended with "another post player the mavs were unable to bring in." he then continued to complain about the front office that most people on this board complain about - hence the independence of the events. aechange, i'd appreciate it if you didn't try to talk down to me as if i were a 10 year old.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:09 PM   #13
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Default Another FA Gone!

Quote:
the two comments were independent events - the sarcasm ended with "another post player the mavs were unable to bring in." he then continued to complain about the front office that most people on this board complain about - hence the independence of the events. aechange, i'd appreciate it if you didn't try to talk down to me as if i were a 10 year old.

wrong. the two comments were not independent. together it was sarcasm.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:12 PM   #14
AnMan21

Default Another FA Gone!

how can an event be sarcastic when he means it? that's a contradiction. the fact is, for some reason everyone complains about the front office - and there's no sarcasm involved.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:45 PM   #15
steponhens

For those of you who didn't catch it, there was a bit of sarcasm thrown into it.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:46 PM   #16
steponhens

I know it's a hard concept.

Old 07-28-2003, 11:24 PM   #17
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Default Another FA Gone!

Quote:
Originally posted by: steponhens
For those of you who didn't catch it, there was a bit of sarcasm thrown into it.

not to talk down to you, but you really should re-read the entire post anman21. or should i repost the definition of sarcasm again?

perhaps something from webster's unabridged would suffice?
Old 07-29-2003, 07:06 AM   #18
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another FA Gone!

Quote:
the two comments were independent events - the sarcasm ended with "another post player the mavs were unable to bring in."
"Will this summer ever end? " is a serious question?

In that case, I will try to answer your question as best I can. Looking at your question, and not knowing you well enough to assume the several semiotic subtleties in your sentence, I will attempt to deconstruct your question and deal with the semantics on a piecemeal basis. There will be several difficulties in the endeavor, however. These center around definitions for summer and end. The other words are helpers and modifiers. We can reduce the question to "summer end" and assume the "?" signifies an interrogative. I'll concentrate on the definition of summer and allow the semantics of end to develop with the argument.

The answer is yes. In all liklihood, the summer will end. Maybe on September 23rd, but this conclusion is dependent on several conditions.

This conclusion follows merriam-webster's definition #1 for summer:
1 : the season between spring and autumn comprising in the northern hemisphere usually the months of June, July, and August or as reckoned astronomically extending from the June solstice to the September equinox

from http://www.infoplease.com/spot/equinox1.html:
At the autumnal equinox (September 23 in 2003), the sun appears to cross the celestial equator, from north to south; this marks the beginning of autumn in the Northern Hemisphere.

Hence the argument that September 23rd is the end of summer. The argument is made, of course, barring the sudden end of the world as we know it. If the end of the world were to come before September 23, 2003, then an argument might be made that summer never did officially end. Depending on how the world ends, there may no longer be a northern hemisphere. In which case you could just as easily argue that a null case is presented, and there no longer is a summer to end. In this case, summer has ended, but the cessation date cannot be stated a priori.

Merriam-webster's definition #2 defines summer as:
2 : the warmer half of the year
In which case the end of summer would depend on local meteorological conditions, but would (with the same caveat as above) in all liklihood occur for all northern hemisphere cities (such as Dallas) sometime in september. For cities in the southern hemisphere, this would probably occur in March. This creates an obvious troubling situation for anyone trying to answer your question from the equator, where there is no warmer half of the year.

Merriam-webster's definition #3:
3 : YEAR <a girl of seventeen summers>
Again accepting the excepting condition of the end of the world, we could guess that by this definition, summer might end in either of two conditions. One, at the end of our arbitrarily defined calendar year. That would be on December 31 for most people reading this thread, but could be defined by any calendar in use. Two, summer ends every day, in that each day is the one year anniversary of the same day the year before.

Merriam-webster's definition #4:
4 : a period of maturing powers
In that we might assume that somewhere in the universe there is some power (by some definition) always in maturation, we might argue that the end of summer would occur precisely at the end of the universe as we know it. Of course we might define an increase in power as a decrease in the world as we know it. In that case, this would truly be an endless summer. For the mavs, using definition #4, let us hope that summer never ends.

Special Definitions:
Summer as the time between the NBA championship game, and the first game of the next season.
Summer would end on a pairwise team by team case. For the mavs, I guess this would be when they play LA in LA. You could make a similar argument for the end of the summer as the beginning of the preseason. That's up to you.

Summer as a concept held in the minds of cognitive entities.
Summer would then end under conditions defined by your own philosophy. In the case that you follow an objective philosophy, summer as a label for an external occurance (or physical Ideal) would end when the last user of the label 'summer' passes away. Summer itself, the Ideal, would continue under the conditions outlined above. The other philisophical possibility is that you follow a more subjective philosophy, such as one in which humans create reality. In this case summer might be argued to end each time a person dies, carrying with them their own unique creation of the Ideal of summer.

If this answer is not satisfactory, I might be able to continue the same, and clarify. If it is satisfactory, I could move on to the rest of your serious questions:
1)Where is Don Nelson
2)What the hell is Cuban doing.
3)How can we possibly recover?

I will state now that I disagree with your serious statement: we have the worst front office ever! You have obviously never been to some of the front offices of buildings in which I have work. There have been dirty diapers, peeling carpet, leaky roofs, and trashed desks in some. In the place I worked last, there is a person in the front office that sat at there desk, continually twiddling there thumbs, rocking back and forth, mumbling to themselves about drinking too much and wetting the bed. Oh, wait. maybe that was Don Nelson.

That last sentence was sarcasm. So was that.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:42 AM   #19
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all
Default Another FA Gone!

You know, Steponhens, this all could have been avoided if you would have simply put a smiley face at the end of your post; that usually denotes sarcasm...

By the way, UL, love your signature! Cletus rules!!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:50 AM   #20
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough
Default Another FA Gone!

Quote:
Originally posted by: irontoad
You know, Steponhens, this all could have been avoided if you would have simply put a smiley face at the end of your post; that usually denotes sarcasm...

It seemed pretty obvious as it was posted. Mark Madsen? Come on!

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:54 AM   #21
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Another FA Gone!

Quote:
Actually, that was Bart in a daydream as the world's fattest man. I think it was the episode Homer gained 69 lbs to get hyper-obesity syndrome so he could stay home on disability.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 11:40 AM   #22
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all
Default Another FA Gone!

Ahhh, right Dooby. Shows what a true fan I am. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Cletus does rule, though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 11:50 AM   #23
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another FA Gone!

Cletus is cool. I think one of my favorite things he's said is:
Gee Willickers, Mr. Terwiliger. Geech done stepped in the cement mixer.

or something like that. The accent was perfection. Man, that's good stuff.

Do you think there's anything we can read into the fact that in this Mark Madsen thread we're now talking about Cletus the slack jawed yokel?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:46 PM   #24
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Another FA Gone!

Dang it. We don't get to see madsen dance at the end of the season. What a dissapointment!
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:36 AM   #25
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Another FA Gone!

Cuban-"But we've been involved in every free agent 6-6 or above in some form or fashion."

I can't believe we even talked to this bum. And he had no interest. Rather play for the minimum in Minnisota. How pathetic.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote