Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default Magic to get new uniforms Friday, But if you want a sneak peak..........

Magic will roll out new retro uniforms, anniversary logo

By

JOHN LOMBARDO
Staff writer
Sports Business Journal

The Orlando Magic plans to unveil new uniforms this week as part of a larger rebranding effort, making the club the fourth NBA franchise that will sport a new look for next season.

The Magic on Friday also will introduce a 15th anniversary logo, which will be used in all advertising and marketing efforts in the 2003-04 season.

"We wanted to create a more mature look now that we've been around for the past 15 years," said Chris D'Orso, vice president of marketing for the Magic.

The team is not changing its colors or primary logo, but it is adopting a retro-inspired uniform design: solid white home jerseys and sold blue road jerseys, with block lettering. The team's logo will not be on the front of the new jerseys.

The team in recent years has featured white and blue jerseys with a logo design across the front of each uniform.

"The look is an adjustment to the changing merchandising marketplace," D'Orso said. "What is old is new again."

The new uniforms come after a season of declining attendance at 17,248-seat TD Waterhouse Centre. Average attendance fell 2.5 percent last season to an average of 14,778 per game, 26th out of the NBA's 29 teams.

Magic officials would not release merchandise sales figures but said they expect a jump in sales with the new uniforms. Unlike most NBA teams, the Magic does not plan to have a third jersey as part of the team's uniform.

Orlando joins the Denver Nuggets, Cleveland Cavaliers and Houston Rockets as NBA teams adopting new uniforms for next season. The last time the Magic changed the team's uniform design was in 1998.

The description fits the design below

Quote:
but it is adopting a retro-inspired uniform design: solid white home jerseys and sold blue road jerseys, with block lettering.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:39 PM   #2
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default Magic to get new uniforms Friday, But if you want a sneak peak..........

Those are awesome, I really don't like the Cav's one, too flashy. But from what i saw out of Houston, i liked those to.

But these are the best.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:46 PM   #3
superheadcat

superheadcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog

what is that middle finger for?

Old 07-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #4
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Why are those four even in the pic???
Old 07-30-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
NYCdog

Default RE: Magic to get new uniforms Friday, But if you want a sneak peak..........

Just like the pic of the new Rockets uni's, this one was an extra at a photo session done for Adidas, which now has all three basketball in its aresnal and is starting a major push promotion to debut in spring of 2004, when KG's 360 shoe hits the stores. Those four guys are skateboarders who just happened to be in the vicinity.

Here is a photo of KG's 360 shoe, due for arrival on Spring 2004.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
NYCdog

Default RE: Magic to get new uniforms Friday, But if you want a sneak peak..........

I'm not buyin the whole "retro" thing there tryin to pull. I loved there previous threads with the sewn-on "Starry" look. Like the article said above, it appears there just trying to create a "buzz" around town about the team to drive up ticket and merchandise sales. But this is the wrong way to do it. They had great uni's, I really loved them. But if you wanna' make a "buzz' around town and catch the fans attention, sign a marquee free agent or make a big trade to improve the team. Dont pull a stupid move like this.
Old 07-30-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I can't really say they are ugly because it just says Orlando on it. I'm with you NYCDOG, I don't get the move. They have changed jerseys about 3 times in the last couple of years and this time they just went too far. Retro right now is selling well. Real well, however this is not the way to go. Its okay to go retro but when your previous jerseys look better than the new ones you have a problem. The Sonics and Pistons did the same thing. The Sonics went retro but didn't leave it plain. Pistons did it they failed IMO. To be honest it looks just like what the Pistons did. Go from logo to just letters. I don't get why teams feel its bad to have a logo on the jersey.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:42 PM   #8
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road

I aggree FFM. If any team ever need new unis, it was the fashion challenged Nuggets of the early 90's, not the 2003 Magic.
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:38 AM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: JoshHoward5
I aggree FFM. If any team ever need new unis, it was the fashion challenged Nuggets of the early 90's, not the 2003 Magic.

Hahha. So true.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote