Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-21-2003, 05:33 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough
Default Scott Drew new coach at Baylor

I know Nothing about him besides the fact that his dad was a terrific coach at Valpo. This was the type of hire I was hoping for. Get a young guy who will be given time to grow into the job. You weren't going to find anyone qualified canididate to come to Baylor. Although as a young coach will be given plenty of slack and maybe just maybe have a competitive team in 5 years.

I will see if I can find more about him.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been wanting to post this since last night. I became aware of it yesterday but couldn't really put it out there. This guy is electric from all accounts that I have heard. He took Valpo to the NIT in his first year and he is widely known as being a solid character guy like his father before him. Coming from a lutheran school helps him understand the aura of Baylor. I wish him well.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 05:41 PM   #3
Chicago JK

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I've been wanting to post this since last night. I became aware of it yesterday but couldn't really put it out there. This guy is electric from all accounts that I have heard. He took Valpo to the NIT in his first year and he is widely known as being a solid character guy like his father before him. Coming from a lutheran school helps him understand the aura of Baylor. I wish him well.
Thanks.. Was he the Valpo coach? Know that I think about it...I think I remember him replacing his father. Having head coaching experience, even a year, is another plus. Valpo, despite being a small school in Indy, isn't a pushover. I am sorta surprised he left Valpo. Although a good job by Baylor.

Doc,
Who reached out to Drew and hired him? Was it Sloan?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:46 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

JK- I can't really say for several reasons. I apologize. I can tell you that he was interviewed several times over the last few days. That's about all I am comfortable giving up right now. I hope you understand.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:01 PM   #5
Chicago JK

no prob. doc. We all know how fast word can spread on the net. I am sure I will find out sooner or later when the news becomes public knowledge.

I am glad Baylor made a quick decision. Most if not all the players will leave so I am glad that they got a young guy. Finally some good news.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:24 PM   #6
Chicago JK

I saw the press conference with Drew on ESPN. He is a sharp dude. I haven't liked the past football and basketball hires, but my gut instinct says this will be a very good hire. I really like it right now. Give him time to build his type of team. It won't improve overnight, but two thumbs up for me.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:39 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Default RE: Scott Drew new coach at Baylor

Seven players have committed to staying and today, John Lucas Jr. said he is impressed with the hire and is not sure if he is leaving or not. I still think he will leave, but it's nice to see some very positive news in the headlines for a change.