Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default #2 Michigan Wolverines @ #1 Ohio State

Both teams are winning today so I figure the rankings hold.....

Some are calling it the unofficial National Championship.....I'm sure the tu folk would argue.

Anyways....it might be the best game in college football since last years USC-tu game.

Place your bets. No odds just straight up pick 'em football.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta go with OSU for two reasons, one i think they will win and win big, 2 if they lose it completely screws my UT title hopes.

Edit-Since I can vote more than once on this ill go ahead and put my 25 on it, but when i hopefully get some more, ill go all in on OSU.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-11-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

No matter what happens, they will be playing again for the National Championship...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanatik33
No matter what happens, they will be playing again for the National Championship...
NO. That has a ZERO percent chance of happening if Michigan loses. Personally I think Michigan is losing by 24+ so I dont care.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

There is no way these two teams can meet again. The loser will drop to at least #4.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan

Edit-Since I can vote more than once on this ill go ahead and put my 25 on it, but when i hopefully get some more, ill go all in on OSU.
That is exactly why I set it up that way. I'm going all in on OSU as well.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
There is no way these two teams can meet again. The loser will drop to at least #4.
This blows my mind...Texas loses to Ohio State, so will Michigan...why does it hurt Michigan so bad?
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanatik33
This blows my mind...Texas loses to Ohio State, so will Michigan...why does it hurt Michigan so bad?
Texas lost in week one. Michigan loses in week 11. It is just the way it is fair or not. But the OSU/Mich loser is out of the national championship chase.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Assuming its michigan i completely agree, but if its OSU(which i really dont see any chance that happens) then it would have a a shot.

As to why it would drop michigan more, two things, One timing- the later you lose the worse it is for you. The second is that UT is MUCH better than it was when it lost to OSU while you cant really argue michigan would be any better in the NC game than they were when they lost to OSU.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

There is no way these two can meet again. It simply will not and cannot happen.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #11
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

all in on UM... sorry guys, i think THIS may be the biggest game of my life
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

texas is losing to kansas state.... notre dame will lose to usc, usc will beat ND. if michigan or osu dont meet again in the NC, it'll be an SEC team (Arkansas?)

edit: i dont think arkansas will make it, it would most likely be florida

Last edited by TheBlueVan; 11-11-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueVan
all in on UM... sorry guys, i think THIS may be the biggest game of my life
Good luck. I have no preference to be honest. I'll enjoy a great game.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

i have 650 on this game lets go OSU
Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #15
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
texas is losing to kansas state.... notre dame will lose to usc, usc will beat ND. if michigan or osu dont meet again in the NC, it'll be an SEC team (Arkansas?)

edit: i dont think arkansas will make it, it would most likely be florida
Michigan has no prayer assuming they lose.

Personally my feelings on this are that since UT is the defending champ and their loss is to the number 1 team, they should get the benefit of the doubt..

Good God as I was typing this another UT star got hurt.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

Ok, why would Michigan have "no prayer". OSU would lose AT HOME. a 1 point michigan loss would look a bit better than a 1-point osu loss. everyone picked us to lose to ND too, i dont care. im just enjoying this season and being a part of one of the biggest games ever in college football.

has anyone had the chance to see Ryan Mallet (high school QB) play? He's coming up here next year and i was wondering what he looked like
Old 11-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #17
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

WOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

KANSAS STATE!
Old 11-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Ok, why would Michigan have "no prayer". OSU would lose AT HOME. a 1 point michigan loss would look a bit better than a 1-point osu loss. everyone picked us to lose to ND too, i dont care. im just enjoying this season and being a part of one of the biggest games ever in college football.

has anyone had the chance to see Ryan Mallet (high school QB) play? He's coming up here next year and i was wondering what he looked like
Thats the guy from Texas High right? Hes a stud if so.

As for this game its pretty much cost Ross the thorpe award. The reason Michigan would have no prayer is that they are already number 2 and they dont have the cushion to afford falling some that OSU does.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #19
Five-ofan
Guru

then again if EVERYone else keeps losing they might have a shot.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:46 PM   #20
Five-ofan
Guru

Up to 900 on OSU.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

I put 50 on the Rockets for tomorrow and am trying to build up a little to go all in on OSU.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #22
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
I put 50 on the Rockets for tomorrow and am trying to build up a little to go all in on OSU.
i actually wish i hadnt bet my last 250 on it, because i would have tried ot build up a little more but oh well.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:10 AM   #23
Drbio
Banned

This will clearly be the college football game of the year. I can't wait. I'm already excited about the game.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:46 AM   #24
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
This will clearly be the college football game of the year. I can't wait. I'm already excited about the game.
dont get your hopes up, it will be a blowout.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #25
Five-ofan
Guru

Not to mention im pissed they are hyping it as the game of the century when it hasnt been played yet and the USC UT game last year just happened...
Old 11-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #26
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

how in God's green earth could UT-USC be the game of the century? oh wait, they are the best rivalry in all of college football (maybe sports altogether) and they have met over 100 times. i just answered my own question!

that game last year was a good game because of the outcome and the drama. but other than that (and the fact that texas was there) it was a national championship. they happen every year. i'd say that the ohio state-miami game was a much better game that UT-USC.
undefeated 1 & 2, Michigan and Ohio State, when does THAT happen? I think the last time anything close to whats going down on saturday took place was 1973.

just out of curiousity, are you basing your prediction that michigan gets rolled on the fact that Ohio State beat Texas and therefore are awesome? or are you basing it on the point differential between their opponenents? Given the fact that most people who have watched both teams feel they stack up pretty evenly, why do you see it differently?

For the record, I would not be surprised if we lost, but I'll let the game be played. Ive been surprised by this team all year and everyone has underestimated them
Old 11-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #27
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i'm back to address the potential for a rematch. granted michigan already is #2, but they also hold/will hold a sizable advantage in the computer polls, given our 2 quality wins and the fact that texas now has 2 losses.

lets say arkansas loses to lsu then beats florida. usc loses to cal and beats notre dame. rutgers then loses to wv. who do you have in the national title game over a 1 loss michigan or 1 loss osu? boise state? a 2 loss sec team? one of those magnificent big east powerhouses?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #28
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

Here's the breakdown as I see it...

Offense:
QB-Ohio State (Henne is no slouch, but he's not a Heisman frontrunner)
WR/TE- Michigan (As crazy as that would have sounded at the beginning of the year,
Manningham is back, Arrington emerged, Breaston is great out of the
slot, and yesterday we got our top 2 tight ends back)
RB- push with slight edge to Michigan (Hart is a reliable beast, but Pittman is explosive)
O-Line- push with slight OSU edge (Michigan's line is good but banged up)

Defense:
D-Line- Michigan's biggest strength and advantage (Woodley/ Branch are 1st-rounders)
Linebackers- Michigan (Harris and Laurinitis are about even, but the rest of Michigan's
corps is better than the buckeyes)
DBs- Ohio State(Hall is fantastic for Michigan, but Trent is very weak, and the safeties are
not great in pass coverage)

Special Teams
Ohio State (this is where Ginn truly excels)

Coaching
i dont know, tressel supposedly owns carr, but we have new offensive and defensive coordinators

Intangibles
Ohio State, they play at home against michigan. BUT, michigan has has a chip on its shoulder and been underrated all year, so who knows

OSU is the popular pick to win, but I'll wait for the game to be played

Last edited by TheBlueVan; 11-12-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #29
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
how in God's green earth could UT-USC be the game of the century? oh wait, they are the best rivalry in all of college football (maybe sports altogether) and they have met over 100 times. i just answered my own question!

that game last year was a good game because of the outcome and the drama. but other than that (and the fact that texas was there) it was a national championship. they happen every year. i'd say that the ohio state-miami game was a much better game that UT-USC.
undefeated 1 & 2, Michigan and Ohio State, when does THAT happen? I think the last time anything close to whats going down on saturday took place was 1973.

just out of curiousity, are you basing your prediction that michigan gets rolled on the fact that Ohio State beat Texas and therefore are awesome? or are you basing it on the point differential between their opponenents? Given the fact that most people who have watched both teams feel they stack up pretty evenly, why do you see it differently?

For the record, I would not be surprised if we lost, but I'll let the game be played. Ive been surprised by this team all year and everyone has underestimated them
Im basing it on OSU speed. Michigans defense that everyone loves cant come close to running with OSU just like they havent been able to for the last 2 years. Just wait. Michigan will get torched.

As for how could UT and USC be the game of the century did you watch the effing game? It was the best game in the history of college football so yes i would say it was the game of the century. How in the name of hell do you think OSU Miami was a better game? It was a really tight game that was tainted by a horrendous officiating call. No such tainting of the UT usc game.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #30
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

Dude, chill. yeah i watched the game. fantastic talent on offense, good defensive plays on texas' side. i (and everyone else hyping the game) is basing the "game of the century" tag on the fact that its OHIO STATE vs MICHIGAN. theres no rivalry in college football on the same scale. there are other fantastic rivalries with great history, but this is THE GAME

it could not end up being as dramatic as last years national championship, but i think that because of the rarity of the nature of this years game the hype is warranted.

as far as the ohio state/miami game, i was just pointing out that there have been several other dramatic championship games in recent years.

On michigan's "slow" defense- I dont know how much Big 10 news trickles down to texas, but michigan has a new defensive coordinator this year who spent the ENTIRE offseason slimming down and conditioning the defense. even OSU homer Herbstreiet said that michigans defense "looks like one of the great SEC defenses of the last 20 years" as far as team speed and fitness go. last year we were burned time and again by mobile QBs and while we havent played one of smiths calibur yet, we have HAMMERED the ones that beat us last year.

"Michigans defense that everyone loves cant come close to running with OSU just like they havent been able to for the last 2 years."
-okay, did YOU watch last years game? in our worst season in years we led ohio state through 3 quarters until we folded like we always did last year. we had a 12 point lead with 8 minutes remaining!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #31
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Dude, chill. yeah i watched the game. fantastic talent on offense, good defensive plays on texas' side. i (and everyone else hyping the game) is basing the "game of the century" tag on the fact that its OHIO STATE vs MICHIGAN. theres no rivalry in college football on the same scale. there are other fantastic rivalries with great history, but this is THE GAME

it could not end up being as dramatic as last years national championship, but i think that because of the rarity of the nature of this years game the hype is warranted.

as far as the ohio state/miami game, i was just pointing out that there have been several other dramatic championship games in recent years.

On michigan's "slow" defense- I dont know how much Big 10 news trickles down to texas, but michigan has a new defensive coordinator this year who spent the ENTIRE offseason slimming down and conditioning the defense. even OSU homer Herbstreiet said that michigans defense "looks like one of the great SEC defenses of the last 20 years" as far as team speed and fitness go. last year we were burned time and again by mobile QBs and while we havent played one of smiths calibur yet, we have HAMMERED the ones that beat us last year.

"Michigans defense that everyone loves cant come close to running with OSU just like they havent been able to for the last 2 years."
-okay, did YOU watch last years game? in our worst season in years we led ohio state through 3 quarters until we folded like we always did last year. we had a 12 point lead with 8 minutes remaining!
Just wait and as for no rival being on the same level, the red river shootout my friend. Its cooler because of the completely unique atmosphere something OSU michigan doesnt have because its a home and home series. There is nothing quite like seeing the line where the colors change at midfield.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #32
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i love the red river shootout! i really do. but its not of the same magnitude as osu/um. i think most people would agree with me on this one, especially if you got outside of oklahoma and texas.

i think their are some old school sec rivalries and usc/nd that are on par with the red river shootout, but again, its not the same as michigan vs. ohio state. however, i do say that michigan state is our aTm and osu is our oklahoma, so i can see your point, but again, this is sports best rivalry (picked by both SI and ESPN).

Last edited by TheBlueVan; 11-12-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #33
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
i love the red river shootout! i really do. but its not of the same magnitude as osu/um. i think most people would agree with me on this one, especially if you got outside of oklahoma and texas.
I think you are mistaken, especially if you get outside of Ohio/michigan. How is it of higher magnitude? As for tradition i would say all 4 schools have great tradition so i would say just as a game its about even BUT the atmosphere of the split stadium gives it to the RRSO.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #34
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

i hate to tell you this, ive lived in california and michigan and few people care about texas/ou outside of texas and oklahoma. its the biggest rivalry in the big 12, i'll give you that...

lets do some research...
who started playing each other first?
most played game?
most combined national championships?
most combined heismans?
highest combined winning percentage of the schools?
national opinion, popular and journalistic?
iconic coaches?

the texas state fair gives the red river shootout an unparalleled atmosphere, but that does not make it a bigger rivalry! if that was true you could say the old world's largest outdoor cocktail party would be one of the best!

i think it was the woody/bo dynamic that really galvanized the rivalry and helped make it what it was today. if arkansas hadnt fallen on hard times until recently, i would say that would parallel ou/texas (they still have the fair though).

Last edited by TheBlueVan; 11-12-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #35
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

let me ask you this, better overall programs... michigan and osu or texas and ou?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
i hate to tell you this, ive lived in california and michigan and few people care about texas/ou outside of texas and oklahoma. its the biggest rivalry in the big 12, i'll give you that...

lets do some research...
who started playing each other first?
most played game?
most combined national championships?
most combined heismans?
highest combined winning percentage of the schools?
national opinion, popular and journalistic?
iconic coaches?

the texas state fair gives the red river shootout an unparalleled atmosphere, but that does not make it a bigger rivalry! if that was true you could say the old world's largest outdoor cocktail party would be one of the best!

i think it was the woody/bo dynamic that really galvanized the rivalry and helped make it what it was today. if arkansas hadnt fallen on hard times until recently, i would say that would parallel ou/texas (they still have the fair though).
What iconic coaches are you talking about there are woody and bo for the osu michigan side, and Royal and switzer god i hate to say that and im sure someone else for the UT OU side. Id take the combination of Brown and stoops over tressel and carr now too. The heisman is the most overrated award in sports and it kills me to say that. How does it reflect poorly on UT that the guy who had the best single season in college football history didnt win the award? National opinion popular and journalistic i would say has UT and OU higher since their combined ranking is generally lower than Michigan and OSUs at the begining of the year. As for National titles, its 14 to 13 so not exactly a huge difference there.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #37
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
let me ask you this, better overall programs... michigan and osu or texas and ou?
Recently, texas and OU. Overall its probably a tie. Also on the national title things since 1968 its 7-2 OU and Texas over Michigan and OSU.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:07 PM   #38
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

ive been doing research

heismans
UM/OSU -9
OU/UT- 6

all-americans (consensus)
UM/OSU - 73 + 125= 198
OU/UT- 63 + 101 = 164

conference titles
UM/OSU- 42 + 30 = 72
OU/UT- 39 + 26 = 65

all time wins
UM/OSU - 860 + 785 = 1645
OU/UT- 757 + 809 = 1566

most played game (not sure on this one)
UM/OSU
OU/UT

# of bowl appearances
UM/OSU- 37 + 37 = 74
OU/UT- 39 + 45 = 84

national titles
UM/OSU- 11 + 7 = 18
OU/UT- 7 + 4 = 11

largest attendance of rivalry game
UM/OSU - 112,118

what ESPN says, because we know theyre always right
UM/OSU- The number one sports rivalry: Michigan versus Ohio State, according to ESPN's "Top 10 Greatest Sports Rivalries"

by the way, this all of wikipedia, so i dont know entirely how accurate the texas/ou/osu stuff is. michigans is right i think
Old 11-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #39
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

whered you find the 13 national titles?
ok, well at least we've established that you think ou and ut as programs are better than osu and um. i cant really argue the point that this rivalry is bigger if that is what you think. while i disagree, youre entitled to think what you want to, all four are fantastic football schools, better than probably any others out there (ND? over-freakin-rated, USC/alabama/tennessee? maybe)
Old 11-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #40
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
ive been doing research

heismans
UM/OSU -9
OU/UT- 6

all-americans (consensus)
UM/OSU - 73 + 125= 198
OU/UT- 63 + 101 = 164

conference titles
UM/OSU- 42 + 30 = 72
OU/UT- 39 + 26 = 65

all time wins
UM/OSU - 860 + 785 = 1645
OU/UT- 757 + 809 = 1566

most played game (not sure on this one)
UM/OSU
OU/UT

# of bowl appearances
UM/OSU- 37 + 37 = 74
OU/UT- 39 + 45 = 84

national titles
UM/OSU- 11 + 7 = 18
OU/UT- 7 + 4 = 11

largest attendance of rivalry game
UM/OSU - 112,118

what ESPN says, because we know theyre always right
UM/OSU- The number one sports rivalry: Michigan versus Ohio State, according to ESPN's "Top 10 Greatest Sports Rivalries"

by the way, this all of wikipedia, so i dont know entirely how accurate the texas/ou/osu stuff is. michigans is right i think
Um Michigan doesnt have 11 national titles. And OU has 9. As for the heismans, UT has gotten screwed out of one(vince) when he had the best season in the history of college fb and Michigan and OSU both have one that they clearly had no business winning(woodson, Griffins second) so without those, it would be 7-7

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-12-2006 at 07:15 PM.