Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I do feel compelled to say that I think the new Star Trek is going to go down as one of the worst-marketed movies ever. Not quite John Carter bad, but really bad. It's one of those cases where I, with a very limited knowledge of the series' stories and characters, called the "twist" after I heard who was cast as the villain... I thought it was very obvious who the villain is: spoiler alert! being that he's the only really famous villain in Star Trek history. I thought they should have built their campaign around that instead of presenting him as a generic villain. In fact, there isn't a single trailer that mentions his presumed identity, John Harrison, by name. It would be like if they didn't include The Joker or Loki in any of the trailers for The Dark Knight or The Avengers. It's currently on pace to make less money than the original, which is one of the best-rated blockbusters of all-time. Mind-boggling incompetence there if you ask me.

On a related note, I'm excited for the new Fast and Furious movie (though I am only a fan since the fifth one) and I think the new Hangover movie is going to make a killing. Star Trek is going to be one-and-done in the box office. Crazy.

Also, I think there's an extremely good chance that Man of Steel will beat Iron Man in overall box office numbers... could finish close to total gross of The Dark Knight. Looks like it might be the best superhero movie since then, too.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Also, I think there's an extremely good chance that Man of Steel will beat Iron Man in overall box office numbers... could finish close to total gross of The Dark Knight. Looks like it might be the best superhero movie since then, too.
Blech, I'm not enthusiastic about that movie at all. Judging by the trailers and the people involved, they've done the exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do with Superman: go out of their way to make him "dark" and "gritty" and "realistic."

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-19-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Blech, I'm not enthusiastic about that movie at all. Judging by the trailers and the people involved, they've done the exactly what I was hoping they wouldn't do with Superman: go out of their way to make him "dark" and "gritty" and "realistic."
I was apprehensive about the tone of the movie at first but I've loved what I've seen from the trailers.

Also, I think casting Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent at this point of his career is absolutely brilliant. I think there's a good chance that he's in most of the memorable scenes.

Last edited by spreedom; 05-19-2013 at 05:52 PM.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You came to that conclusion from a 2 minute trailer? Humor us with your idea of how they should portray Superman... Please tell us why showing the inner conflict of a boy finding out who he is, and struggling with what to do with that power is "dark" and "gritty". And what the hell is wrong with realistic?

I see from the trailer that most of the movie is like any other recent comic book movie... a lot of action and special effects. The first part of the movie will probably show a similar journey as Batman Begins.

I concluded that Hans Zimmer has nailed a new theme, Kevin Costner is going to be amazing, and General Zod is a bad-ass.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 05-19-2013 at 09:29 PM.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm with you, dude. Something about that Superman is just off-putting. They just took the Dark Knight equation and applied it to Superman. It is on my do-not-see list.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh, can't wait to see Star Trek when I get a chance.

As for the new Superman movie...can't believe Zach Snyder got to direct that after Sucker Punch and Watchmen were flops.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I do feel compelled to say that I think the new Star Trek is going to go down as one of the worst-marketed movies ever. Not quite John Carter bad, but really bad. It's one of those cases where I, with a very limited knowledge of the series' stories and characters, called the "twist" after I heard who was cast as the villain... I thought it was very obvious who the villain is: spoiler alert! being that he's the only really famous villain in Star Trek history. I thought they should have built their campaign around that instead of presenting him as a generic villain. In fact, there isn't a single trailer that mentions his presumed identity, John Harrison, by name. It would be like if they didn't include The Joker or Loki in any of the trailers for The Dark Knight or The Avengers. It's currently on pace to make less money than the original, which is one of the best-rated blockbusters of all-time. Mind-boggling incompetence there if you ask me.

On a related note, I'm excited for the new Fast and Furious movie (though I am only a fan since the fifth one) and I think the new Hangover movie is going to make a killing. Star Trek is going to be one-and-done in the box office. Crazy.

Star Trek will do fine at the box office. No, it might not reach the level of the last franchise to continue.

Also, oddly enough, the new Fast and Furious movie is getting pretty good reviews.. I won't see it..but it's shocking that the reviews are as good as they are.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote