Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-17-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road
Default Brad Miller-Interested in Utah and Denver

Jazz set to make pitch at Brad Miller

By Phil Miller
The Salt Lake Tribune

If this were a playoff series, Jazz vs. Nuggets would be down to the clincher.
Utah and Denver, each of which has already snagged a free agent the other pursued this summer, are now facing off once more an their courtship of Indiana center Brad Miller.
The 7-foot All-Star, once widely expected to return to the Pacers, will visit Salt Lake City today and Denver either today or Friday, a mission designed to see how much of their ample salary-cap space the Midwest Division rivals are willing to invest in the unrestricted free agent.
The Pacers are still in the picture, agent Mark Bartelstein said.
But, he said, "Brad would not be going out to Utah unless he was sincerely interested."
It's not certain how attractive the Pacers' option is at the moment. Miller earned a little more than $5 million for a season in which he averaged 13.1 points and 8.3 rebounds and earned a berth on the Eastern Conference All-Star team.
Indiana has said it hopes to keep Miller, but the Pacers have financial restraints: Already straddling the luxury-tax threshold, Indiana signed forward Jermaine O'Neal to a seven-year, $105 million contract Wednesday and still is negotiating with guard Reggie Miller.
That means the Pacers may not be able to offer much of a raise -- but Utah and Denver can.
The Jazz and Nuggets are the only suitors left with significant salary-cap space, though the Pacers are reportedly exploring sign-and-trade options.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

At this point, I'd rather play in Denver than Utah. Hell, at any point I would.

Go Nugs!

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I thought Hilario is playing center in Denver. Does this the Nuggets are planning to ditch Harvey and put Hilario at the 4?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 01:54 PM   #4
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: TripleDipping
I thought Hilario is playing center in Denver. Does this the Nuggets are planning to ditch Harvey and put Hilario at the 4?
Harvey is UFA, and haven't heard anythin gabout him going back to Denver yet. I think Hilario belongs at the 4, and if Denver can place themselves in a position where they don't have to play him out of position, along with their other young guys, they are going to get back to the playoffs faster than many projected.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

I guess Miller must have scratched off the Mavs as a possibilty
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Nuggets want Hilario to play the 4. Kiki stated during the year that they would look at resigning Harvey after they addressed other needs. I thought it was a mistake at this time and still do. They could have locked up Harvey for multiple years at low dollars back then. Now it will cost a little more.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:25 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Brad Miller-Interested in Utah and Denver

Quote:
I guess Miller must have scratched off the Mavs as a possibilty.
Not necessarily, but it's unlikely he comes here. A S&T is our only option.

Miller is still upset that they focused and worked O'Neals contract out first. He's just fooling around visiting other teams as a way to get the Pacers to give him a bigger contract. And if he's upset enough, he'll go to a team where the Pacers get nothing in return.

Both Utah and the Nuggets have the money to do that.