Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #2041
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

joshi, any chance of a youtube compilation again?
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #2042
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
joshi, any chance of a youtube compilation again?
Currently downloading a source. Can't promise though, might be too much work for me this weekend.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #2043
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Just ran the numbers in basketball-reference.com to see where Roddy stood in terms of blocks. I filtered out all players who played less than 150 minutes this season, which still leaves us with 308 players total:

Roddy currently ranks 25th(!!) in Blk% this season, ahead of such players as Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, and Emeka Okafor. Of the top 40 players on that list only one other player is listed below 6'8'' - Dwyane Wade. It's kind of unreal the shot-blocking prowess he's demonstrated so far for a guy who just barely clears 6 feet. I don't necessarily think it will keep up at this kind of rate (it's obviously going to be a little inflated after a night where he notches 4 blocks), but I thought it was worth pointing out just because of how impressive he's been in that area thus far.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #2044
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to do the exercise again with TRB%, this time filtering out all players who've played less than 150 minutes a game or who are listed taller than 6'6'' (basically a quick and dirty search to see where Roddy ranked amongst the little guys who have gotten at least a decent chunk of playing time).

Out of the 128 players that were returned, Roddy ranks 5th in TRB%. He's behind only Chuck Hayes (far away the leader at 16.3%), Corey Maggette (11.5%), Danny Green (10.4%), and Kyle Lowery (10.3%). And after that sits Roddy at 10.0% - actually Iggy is right there with him at 10.0%.

Again, pretty impressive stuff from the kid, especially when you consider that he doesn't exactly have the frame to bang with the big boys. Watching replays of his rebounds on synergy, he seems to get his rebounds from slipping to empty holes and waiting for the ball to take a lucky bounce, darting in to grab a rebound from a bigger guy who is bobbling the ball, and grabbing shot attempts that he personally blocked. Basically he's doing a good job of hustling, which is a sign that Carlisle is getting the competitive Roddy he's been asking for.

I also don't know how sustainable this aspect is, but it's really encouraging and another reason why he made himself worth keeping on the court despite his offensive struggles this season.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #2045
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Currently downloading a source. Can't promise though, might be too much work for me this weekend.
alright, school is first
Old 01-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #2046
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice

liked the way Roddy played PG against Utah. He ran the teams offense well for some stretches i think.

Only a little bit worried about his +/- this season: -4 in 36 minutes of a 15 point win. He didn't manage to get possitive +/- for the last five games now
Firnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #2047
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firnen View Post
liked the way Roddy played PG against Utah. He ran the teams offense well for some stretches i think.

Only a little bit worried about his +/- this season: -4 in 36 minutes of a 15 point win. He didn't manage to get possitive +/- for the last five games now
Single game +/- is worthless. No reason to worry about that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #2048
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firnen View Post

He went negative because of garbage time.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #2049
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Decided to do the exercise again with TRB%, this time filtering out all players who've played less than 150 minutes a game or who are listed taller than 6'6'' (basically a quick and dirty search to see where Roddy ranked amongst the little guys who have gotten at least a decent chunk of playing time).

Out of the 128 players that were returned, Roddy ranks 5th in TRB%. He's behind only Chuck Hayes (far away the leader at 16.3%), Corey Maggette (11.5%), Danny Green (10.4%), and Kyle Lowery (10.3%). And after that sits Roddy at 10.0% - actually Iggy is right there with him at 10.0%.

Again, pretty impressive stuff from the kid, especially when you consider that he doesn't exactly have the frame to bang with the big boys. Watching replays of his rebounds on synergy, he seems to get his rebounds from slipping to empty holes and waiting for the ball to take a lucky bounce, darting in to grab a rebound from a bigger guy who is bobbling the ball, and grabbing shot attempts that he personally blocked. Basically he's doing a good job of hustling, which is a sign that Carlisle is getting the competitive Roddy he's been asking for.

I also don't know how sustainable this aspect is, but it's really encouraging and another reason why he made himself worth keeping on the court despite his offensive struggles this season.
And Hayes is a PF/C, so basically he's right there at the top.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #2050
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Woke up early today and had a bit time. Not the best source, but I can live with the result: http://youtu.be/QeLSjgmWN5E

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-29-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #2051
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Woke up early today and had a bit time. Not the best source, but I can live with the result: http://youtu.be/QeLSjgmWN5E
You're awesome.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #2052
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of
Default GO!

vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #2053
endrity
Platinum Member

joshi, the man!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #2054
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, Roddy really did look fluid out there. I'm more impressed with the drive and kicks than the shots.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #2055
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Great mashup, I love the fact that you used the Utah broadcast. Its fun to hear the awe in the announcer's voices as Roddy blows Devin Harris away!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #2056
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Am I alone in hoping Kidd sits so we can see the battle of the French point guards for the entire game? Maybe Roddy is finally ready to take on Tony Parker!
Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #2057
Aggie E

Aggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of lightAggie E is a glorious beacon of light

Roddy was amazing in that game. Always hoped he would start to use his speed to set the table instead of just shooting. For a while I think he was not confident that his foot was 100% so the drive game dissapeared. now he is putting it together. He is more talented that JJB ever was and his penetration game will be needed in the playoffs...
Aggie E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #2058
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
Roddy perhaps played his best game as a Mav tonight...However are we sure he's not Colombian? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reB4YLs-49U (3:19 Mark)
Well, I guess I'm the only who sees the resemblance...lol
Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #2059
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Stop being so awesome joshi. Definitely the first time Roddy has had a game that truly looked like his rookie year on offense. I watched his game against the Spurs in the playoffs, and he's almost there again condition-wise. I just hope he gets a chance to put some hurtin' on the Spurs tonight!

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #2060
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Am I alone in hoping Kidd sits so we can see the battle of the French point guards for the entire game? Maybe Roddy is finally ready to take on Tony Parker!
SA is actually another good matchup for him, Duncan doesn't protect the paint like he use too, and when Blair and or Bonner plays in the front court he can run layup lines. Splitter is an ok shot blocker but nothing special lots of his blocks come from his good footwork in post defense, he isn't athletic at all.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #2061
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

I am really amazed at how good a defender he is turning out to be. I always expected him to be good because he has all the tools for good defense. But his challenging the big boys was unexpected. On of the blocks that Haywood got tonight against the Spurs was really because of Roddy. He made the player adjust his shot twice in the air before Haywood came in to get the block. Roddy was moving his hand in front of the ball like he was wiping windows. LOL.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #2062
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Roddy 3 blocks tonight and could've had 4 but i think it got credited to VC!! Enough said!! RoddyB is Back. Keeping growing Kid!!
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #2063
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

He has to work on the entry pass to Dirk.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #2064
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

He couldn't make a basic entry pass to Dirk smh.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #2065
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
He couldn't make a basic entry pass to Dirk smh.
It's not just the entry pass. They couldn't get a PnR to work at all. Definitely have to get that corrected.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #2066
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Roddy is like Devin Harris but I think Roody is a bit faster.
He is very nice pick for us

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #2067
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Just ran the numbers in basketball-reference.com to see where Roddy stood in terms of blocks. I filtered out all players who played less than 150 minutes this season, which still leaves us with 308 players total:

Roddy currently ranks 25th(!!) in Blk% this season, ahead of such players as Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, and Emeka Okafor. Of the top 40 players on that list only one other player is listed below 6'8'' - Dwyane Wade. It's kind of unreal the shot-blocking prowess he's demonstrated so far for a guy who just barely clears 6 feet. I don't necessarily think it will keep up at this kind of rate (it's obviously going to be a little inflated after a night where he notches 4 blocks), but I thought it was worth pointing out just because of how impressive he's been in that area thus far.
I went a little farther on basketball-reference. Right now Roddy has the highest BLK% of any player 6'6" or shorter since they started keeping track of BLK% (which goes back to at least 1973-74).

It's really just unbelievable how good he's become at blocking shots. Roddy's really already much better at everything besides shooting this year compared to his rookie year. I just hope he finds that stroke again and that season wasn't an aberration.

Last edited by OSUmavsfan; 01-30-2012 at 10:34 AM.
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #2068
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

good game by Roddy...i'm very happy for that!

he needs play more more more games.but actually he is a NBA player.
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #2069
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

So the question has to be asked: what has happened to his jumpshot
I am referencing Hoopdata with all these numbers btw.
2010: At the Rim: 68.1%, 3-9 feet: 46.7%, 10-15 feet: 50%, 16-23 feet: 39 %, 3 pointers: 40.9%
2011: At the Rim: 63.2%, 3-9 feet: 41.7%, 10-15 feet: 35.7%, 16-23 feet: 32%, 3 pointers: 30.1%
2012: At the Rim: 70.8%, 3-9 feet: 38.5%, 10-15 feet: 28.6%, 16-23 feet: 33%, 3 points: 35%
Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #2070
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
2010: At the Rim: 68.1%, 3-9 feet: 46.7%, 10-15 feet: 50%, 16-23 feet: 39 %, 3 pointers: 40.9%
2011: At the Rim: 63.2%, 3-9 feet: 41.7%, 10-15 feet: 35.7%, 16-23 feet: 32%, 3 pointers: 30.1%
2012: At the Rim: 70.8%, 3-9 feet: 38.5%, 10-15 feet: 28.6%, 16-23 feet: 33%, 3 points: 35%
The obvious answer is his foot happened. For a large chunk of the last year and a half he hasn't been medically cleared to run or jump. He's probably still trying to shake some rust off of his jumper, and also dealing with some subtle changes that crept into his shooting mechanic over months and months of only shooting set shots. I'm betting it comes back around.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #2071
mavs777
Diamond Member

Hope you are right.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #2072
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Sample size could also be a problem with those numbers. This year he's only taken 7 shots from 10-15 feet and 13 shots from 3-9 feet. On the distances with larger sample sizes, he's closer to where he should be, although he should probably avoid the long 2.
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #2073
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
There are some encouraging things in there though.

His at the Rim % has increased. This is almost entirely because he's playing smarter, I'd wager. He's only going to the rim when he can actually get there, instead of wildly throwing himself into a group of guys and hoping he can get it past them (he did a lot of that in his second year)

Also while his 3s aren't where they were in the first year, they are better than they were in the second year, they're definitely improving. I bet he's back at 40% by end of this year.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #2074
endrity
Platinum Member

Well scouting happened as well. After the 40pts game Roddy was on the map therefore no easy jumpers anymore.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #2075
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well scouting happened as well. After the 40pts game Roddy was on the map therefore no easy jumpers anymore.
Actually, it would appear that the scouting report on him right now says that playing him for the drive rather than the jumper is the thing to do. SA was daring him to shoot yesterday.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #2076
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Video of Roddy's clutch play last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8a9SmLVsGk
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #2077
endrity
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Actually, it would appear that the scouting report on him right now says that playing him for the drive rather than the jumper is the thing to do. SA was daring him to shoot yesterday.
Cause he's much better at driving maybe.

Then again, maybe his foot just messed up his mechanics or his shooting wasn't as great as we thought in the first year but driven due to sample size. Shooting though is one thing that's supposed to remain with the players unless something drastic happens.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #2078
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Cause he's much better at driving maybe.
Obviously they thought his penetration and passing if they chased him around the screen would cause them more problems then his spot up shooting if they went under. My point, though, was that he's getting open looks. I don't think a longer scouting report on him can account for the lower conversion percentage on jumpers. Whether I'm right that his shot is still off because of the foot injury, though, only time will tell.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #2079
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Obviously they thought his penetration and passing if they chased him around the screen would cause them more problems then his spot up shooting if they went under. My point, though, was that he's getting open looks. I don't think a longer scouting report on him can account for the lower conversion percentage on jumpers. Whether I'm right that his shot is still off because of the foot injury, though, only time will tell.
Just a guess: He has been a good Spot-Up shooter, struggles off the dribble. This season again 1.18 PPP on Spot-Ups, but I think he takes fewer because Mavs expect him to create more rather than just spotting up.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:39 AM   #2080
JHT

JHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to allJHT is a name known to all

Roddy wasn't as spectacular tonight... but he really was a PG 100% out there and even when he struggled in a couple of spots... his struggles didn't look any worse than Jason Terry when he has an off possession or anything. It was none of those spectacular Roddy mistakes.

He's looking more and more like a very good basketball player, and maybe just as importantly a very good, starting quality point guard.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"boo boo", broussard mav hater, b_o_r_i_n_g, doghouse, easy win, employé numéro huit, flying frenchman, free roddy b's foot, jeff's vagina monologues, mikefisherhypemachine, myroddybucketisfull, overrated pos, roddy = rondo but better, rudy!rudy!rudy!, the future, wankingoff to roddy vid