Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-21-2002, 09:48 PM   #1
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

Did anyone catch tonights episode of AMERICAN IDOL? who got voted off?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:18 AM   #2
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

absolute joke.

no way in the hell tamyra should have been voted off. she was far and away the best hands down.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:48 AM   #3
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

I agree. That was BS, "America completely missed the boat"
Old 08-22-2002, 09:58 AM   #4
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

that was shocking. I thought it was funny when the audience booed.

I thought there were a lot of conspiricy theories surrounding Cuban and the NBA, but good grief, have you looked at idolonfox.com? They could make a smash hit reality series about 'making of AI' if just one of the theories is true.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:19 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Yea It was total BS. I dont even think i will watch the show anymore. But it makes sense because those two girls have Texas voting for them while Tamyra has lil ol ATL. And Justin well he is the only guy left so I assume all women are voting for him. Am I the only one who finds it a bit supisious that Nikki has been at the bottom vote every week and still is there in the top 3? All I know is next week better not be a shocker or there is gonan be some riots breaking out lol.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 09:32 PM   #6
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

Totally BS, its amazing how many people are reacting to this, which makes you wonder who the hell gets voting for Nikki? Their was a article by CNN that said their are people with auto-dialers who slam votes for Nikki, which pretty much explains it. Fox should either limit 1 phone call per household or charge a couple dollars a call, instead you have a bunch of 17 dweebs voting for Nikki 5,000 times. Tamyra is way too talented for that show anyway, she probably has every record company in the world contacting her, so she will be fine.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:30 AM   #7
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

i can't believe 5 people care [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 01:22 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

It's an absolute pitty that those people get to become rich and famous after winning some stupid contest. Think of all long it take "real" musicians to get discovered. I think it's a joke...
Old 08-23-2002, 01:47 AM   #9
veruca salt
Platinum Member

rich and famous, what, like O-Town??
haha.
My understanding of these competitions (and i know it's pretty much how it worked here)
they get abou 6 months of pure media hype, one single dashes to the top of the charts...
then that's it.
The real musician argument is a good one, but you've also go to look at it from the point
that they're filling a different market. It's not like they're taking anything away from
the 'real' musicians....totally different target audience.

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-23-2002, 07:13 AM   #10
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree, ocelot_ark,
A lot of times "real musicians" are discovered overnight, and often without a lot of years of paying dues. It also sounds like some of the american idol contestants have been trying to break into things for a while.

Maybe the reason more people in the past haven't gotten a lot of exposure overnight is because there hasn't been a lot of nation wide talent shows. The only one I can think of, Star Search, did produce quite a few stars.

I do agree with Veruca that this show might overhype the talent. But if the search was genuine, then they find someone with enough talent to outlast the hype. They've already picked out the first smash hit that will be released by the american idol. It'll be mostly up to the idol to sing it well, and (later) to use the exposure to find an audience that will buy more albums.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:57 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

i can't believe 5 people care [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking.....lol!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:05 PM   #12
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Who (13-29) hasn't heard of O town? They are a complete joke, but they ARE rich and famous. They were a snack pack. "here's something to feed the dumbass teenage girls so we can make money."

Maybe my argument should be that all pop is atrocious. I just have no stomach for singers who show no respect for their musicians. I loathe people who somehow get nationwide adoration because they can sing other people's songs. Why not write your own song, like the THOUSANDS of starving musicians who struggle to get gigs on a weekly basis. Why can't they get gigs? 'Cause the presedence set by the current selection of pop has club owners dazed.

Good lord...pop. Excuse me while I vomit.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:50 AM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< Maybe my argument should be that all pop is atrocious. >>

Typically, people that like &quot;real musicians&quot; (those who compose, write, and/or play their own songs) can't stand pop music, mainly because pop music is known for focusing on mass market appeal rather than the artistic value or quality of music. I think you hate pop music because you assume that it's taking work and jobs away from &quot;real musicians.&quot; The problem with that line of thinking is that if pop music didn't exist, those that &quot;consume&quot; it probably STILL wouldn't have any interest in what the &quot;real musicians&quot; were putting out. So to argue that Britney Spears or NSync are keeping the modern day version of the Beatles or Eagles or Police or Pearl Jam from being discovered is, well, wrong.

<< I just have no stomach for singers who show no respect for their musicians. >>

Who is this? Is it a rule that pop singers don't show respect for their musicians? If they get most of the attention, does that mean they aren't respecting their musicians? I'm sure guitarists, keyboard players, and drummers get paid quite well working for a lot of pop acts out there today.

<< I loathe people who somehow get nationwide adoration because they can sing other people's songs. >>

Not all people with great voices have the ability to write songs. Likewise, not all great songwriters have the voices to make their songs sound as good as they possibly can. It's kind of silly to say that you're talented if you can write a song, but not if all you do is SING it.

<< Why not write your own song, like the THOUSANDS of starving musicians who struggle to get gigs on a weekly basis. Why can't they get gigs? 'Cause the presedence set by the current selection of pop has club owners dazed. >>

Again, some people can't write their own songs, because they're just not good at it. Do I prefer and like best those artists who write their own stuff? Absolutely, because I think it displays amazing talent, and they usually are able to put more feeling into the songs they sing. But that doesn't mean that those that can't write or don't write should be discounted. Also, the THOUSANDS of starving musicians are not starving because of pop music, for the reasons I described above. The subtraction of one thing does not necessarily mean the addition of another.

Old 08-24-2002, 09:05 AM   #14
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

<< The problem with that line of thinking is that if pop music didn't exist, those that &quot;consume&quot; it probably STILL wouldn't have any interest in what the &quot;real musicians&quot; were putting out. >>

I disagree - the proportion of pop music fans that we are talking about (the mindless ones) buy whatever music they are told to buy. They really don't care about the music, they just want to buy into the hype (literally). They would purchase millions of copies of 'harmonica bum found on street corner x' if they were told it was cool.

Kris Kristoferson (sp?) is the perfect example of a great songwriter that just can't vocally deliver a song.

Most of the THOUSANDS of musical acts struggling to make a living are doing so because they suck.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:07 AM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< I disagree - the proportion of pop music fans that we are talking about (the mindless ones) buy whatever music they are told to buy. They really don't care about the music, they just want to buy into the hype (literally). They would purchase millions of copies of 'harmonica bum found on street corner x' if they were told it was cool. >>

I would agree with you if I thought that pop culture or those that promote pop music would ever promote 'harmonica bum found on street corner x.' Pop music is driven by looks, sex appeal, and marketability to 12-19 year olds, not the ability to write lyrics and/or music.

<< Kris Kristoferson (sp?) is the perfect example of a great songwriter that just can't vocally deliver a song. >>

Very true.

<< Most of the THOUSANDS of musical acts struggling to make a living are doing so because they suck. >>

Perhaps a bit harsh here, but probably also true to a large degree.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:19 AM   #16
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

<< I would agree with you if I thought that pop culture or those that promote pop music would ever promote 'harmonica bum found on street corner x.' Pop music is driven by looks, sex appeal, and marketability to 12-19 year olds, not the ability to write lyrics and/or music. >>

yeah. I think Ocelot's objection rightly should be directed toward either industry leaders for lazily following a formula or the shallow buying public. The pop singers shouldn't be blamed. Who here wouldn't die their hair in streaks and sing 'la la ooh, ooh, baby baby' in front of a camera for a million bucks?
Old 08-24-2002, 07:35 PM   #17
veruca salt
Platinum Member

I wouldn't.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-25-2002, 02:17 AM   #18
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I'm not saying that I blame those people for capitolizing on an opportunity, I just think people give them too much credit for singing. They can't play instruments, they can't write, all they can do is sing...with the help of someone else telling them if their doing it correctly.

I blame everyone for pop. It's a cancer. Pop, IMO, helps contribute to the mindlessness that is today's youth. Mainly I hate pop 'cause it sounds like pop. Plain and simple...it sucks.

As far as pop musicians giving respect to their musicians and their songwriters...when was the last time you saw NSYNC's or Britney's band (or synthesizer? which is it?) on an album cover? When did they give the musicians some props for allowing them to perform at all.

Maybe I'm just a horabable person, but I would prefer the songwriters (who obviously have zero integrity) cease to contribute to pop. Then maybe we'd see extremely how crappy these groups are.

Old 08-25-2002, 04:42 AM   #19
veruca salt
Platinum Member

You see, i don't think aboloshing pre-fab pop is really necessary.
like i said in and early post, it feeds a market (overfeeds. yes maybe)
but the kids love it...and thats primarily what it is there for. i don't think the
kids would really enjoy international noise conspiracy.
that said, my parents certainly didn't incourage me to listen to it, and i
won't let it anywhere near my kids stereo.

plus, who would i look down on in record stores if everyone was
buying cool music.
i like having that warm feeling that i get from being a smug music snob. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-25-2002, 09:34 AM   #20
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Gosh Veruca, you a music snob? You've got to be kidding! ;-)

You've got a point though, who would we make fun of if there was no pop?
Old 08-25-2002, 07:30 PM   #21
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Veruca, I agree 100% with you, and I feel that I am a music snob as well. I'm glad others like this crap...gives me something to make fun of them for.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 07:37 PM   #22
veruca salt
Platinum Member

i'm glad that some people agree with me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Smile like you mean it
Old 08-26-2002, 09:24 AM   #23
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

I agree about pop stars getting too much credit sometimes. There's so much electronic manipulation going on, I doubt if anyone these days would care if a mili-vanili scam took place.

I don't listen to the music because I don't really like it. But, in a similar vein, I do enjoy some popcorn movies, like Charlie's Angels, even though I know actors have been 'digitally enhanced'.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:04 PM   #24
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Great points, Veruca, there's certainly no light without darkness, no pleasure without pain, etc..

Old 08-28-2002, 11:56 PM   #25
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know who got voted out tonight
Old 08-29-2002, 06:41 AM   #26
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

nikki, i believe.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:39 AM   #27
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

its about time.

nikki sucks!

in any event, i want to marry kelly clarkson. hahaha. she's got that girl next door kind of charm that very jockable indeed.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:37 AM   #28
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Kelly won. Yeah.

I have decided that this show is worthwhile. It isn't any worse of a way to find pop talent than any other. Personally, I don't like pop music, but hell, there is nothing wrong with it. These people worked harder than on any other reality TV show save Survivor.

At least Kelly can sing and walk at the same time-Brittany Spears can't even lip-sync and walk at the same time.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:51 AM   #29
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just glad that goofy-looking guy (Sideshow Bob?) didn't win it.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 10:55 AM   #30
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

<< Kelly won. Yeah.

I have decided that this show is worthwhile. It isn't any worse of a way to find pop talent than any other.
>>

I think Frank Sinatra was first noticed after winning an amature singing contest on the radio.

<< These people worked harder than on any other reality TV show save Survivor. >>

What impressed me was that these contestants seemed to really care about what they were doing. It was as if they wanted to be rewarded/recognized for their actual performance, not just rewarded for doing whatever it takes to grab the cash.

-I liked the Brittany Spears joke.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Dj, Dooby...still watching American Idol?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #32
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I'll admit it. I watch that stupid show.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:18 AM   #33
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

too gay to be believed.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #34
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I don't know how so many people can find televised karaoke so entertaining...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #35
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I started watching last season, and I'll have to admit, I actually enjoy the show a good deal. I was pulling for Bo last year. I hope Chris (bald guy) wins this year.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:37 AM   #36
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I watch the first 3 to 4 weeks to see all the dumbasses and then tune out.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #37
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I've been a fan since Day One.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #38
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

So sad to see Mandissa leave. I just knew it would be Elliot. It looks like it might come down to Kellie and Chris. Did anyone see the interview they did of Kellie's father who is currently in prison? That was sad to watch.........
Old 04-06-2006, 04:53 PM   #39
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
I'll admit it. I watch that stupid show.
I'm with madape. I watch it, though not as religously as I did the first two seasons. Mainly I tune in now to find out what stupid things will come out of Kellie Pickler's mouth. She's even more of an airhead than Jessica Simpson. But like Jessica Simpson, the girl can sing.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:48 PM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Airhead? Maybe. But, more than anything, she just hasn't been exposed to nearly as much as most people. You cannot imagine how naive I was when I moved from a small town out near Abilene to the DFW area. I probably would have made some statements that would make me seem like an airhead. I'm sure I probably did. I can remember being amazed once that the parents of a girl that I was dating owned a 'Jeep Grand Cherokee'. I made a fool out of myself in front of some friends because I thought it had to be a big deal... I mean, it wasn't an ordinary Cherokee.

My first day in one of my honors courses, the teachers made fun of my 'hick' accent so badly that I switched out of the class by the end of the day.

Well, I don't hold any grudges against anything that happened. I realize that many just didn't relate with where I was coming from. But hey, even though I initially sounded like a 'hick', I had no problem getting scholarship offers to just about anywhere I wanted. Maybe it helped that I quickly got rid of the accent. But, oh well.

Last edited by Murphy3; 04-06-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote