Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #81
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

cowboys need to look at trading Julius Jones for Henry out of TN.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2007, 01:57 AM   #82
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
ummm... not even a little.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #83
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
ummm... not even a little.
aside from madden 07, jj isn't great. i've never seen an RB who runs into the back of his lineman and falls down more than jj. he seems to have NO field vision.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #84
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
aside from madden 07, jj isn't great. i've never seen an RB who runs into the back of his lineman and falls down more than jj. he seems to have NO field vision.
i dont think jj is great but that would only be valid if henry was great which he isnt. jj is younger and just as good.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:16 AM   #85
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Titans cut Henry today.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #86
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys are signing Davis:

The Dallas Cowboys are finalizing an agreement with free agent offensive lineman Leonard Davis, the second pick in the 2001 NFL draft who has played the last six seasons for the Arizona Cardinals.
Davis, 6-feet-6, 366 pounds, is expected to play either right tackle or right guard for the Cowboys, depending on the resolution of contract talks with current Cowboys right tackle Marc Columbo, an unrestricted free agent the Cowboys hope to re-sign.
Davis' contract is expected to exceed the free agent deals of Bills guard Derrick Dockery (7 years, $49 million) and Browns guard Eric Steinbach (7 years, $49.5 million).
Davis visted the Washington Redskins and was considering a visit to the New York Giants, but decided on the Cowboys due to a desire to stay close to his hometown of Wortham, Texas, just south of Dallas.
Davis was an All-America tackle at the University of Texas, and played his first three seasons at guard for the Cardinals before switching to tackle the last three seasons.

That's a lot of cash if it's going to exceed those two contracts....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 03-04-2007 at 10:21 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #87
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The Star telegram alos reported that Martin Grammatica would sign with the team on Monday.

Joey Porter would be a great fit with Demarcus Ware and Greg Ellis. The Cowboys also need a free safety.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #88
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of stuff to do!

K - Sign Gramatica
FS - Sign Grant/Hamlin/Cincy Guy/Draft one
CB - Move Henry to FS and sign/draft a CB to man with Newman
RT - Re-sign Colombo
RG - Cut/Trade Rivera or keep and let Colombo walk while putting Davis at RT - (mistake)
WR - Re-sign Crayton
LB - Decide on Porter and if we sign him, determine if he is inside or out, (if inside, who leaves; if outside does Ware move to strong side or does Porter after thriving at weak)
Draft

Fun offseason!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #89
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

a 366 pound right tackle? isnt he a bit heavy for that position? if JJ had trouble running into his lineman before..now I wonder how bad his problem will be

Last edited by Ninkobei; 03-05-2007 at 05:02 AM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:46 AM   #90
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

He wasn't signed to play RT, but he can if Colombo walks.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #91
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

You know its hard to get a view of how good a offensive lineman is from the viewpoint of a television. But I do know he's always in the 88-92 range so he must be good right lol? But really how good is he? I've always heard he's been a underachiever. And Edgerian James did everything but impress as running back last year for the Cardinals.

Offensive line definately needed to be upgraded but i'd like to see us get a Free Saftey or a corner if we plan on moving Henry to Free Safety.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He's an underachiever that's still just a notch below being a pro bowler ...but with the capability of earning his way to Hawaii year in and year out.

At the least, he's a productive starter. So, hopefully playing back in Texas will motivate him to take his game up that extra notch that he's obviously capable of.

I know that I've been disappointed with what he's accomplished, but I do believe he's capable of playing at a higher level more consistently.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #93
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

He will have his family in the stands each game along with several friends I am sure, (Wortham is a hop, skip, and a jump from Irving). Hopefully that will help motivate him. He is also playing for what I am sure was the team he always rooted for growing up. Surely there is some pride at stake and that will help push this BIGG dude!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #94
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

The boys also need a good backup qb in the worst of ways
Old 03-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #95
mkat
Platinum Member

i think it would be hard for even the most motivated player to play very well on the disappointing cardinals team.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #96
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Like most here, I don't watch the Cardnials on a weekly basis. I do know that a couple of years back we played them in the pre-season then later at Texas Stadium and he totally engulfed Demarcus Ware. Ware would rush him and just dissappear. If he gets his hands on you it's over. The question is, can he handle the speed rushers at tackle and, can he get to the second level if he has to play guard.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #97
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Gramatica (sp?) signed to a 2 year deal, financial specifics unknown!
Old 03-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #98
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
The question is, can he handle the speed rushers at tackle and, can he get to the second level if he has to play guard.
Yes and No. He was a damn fine guard in Arizona but he just can NOT handle speed rushers at LT. RT would be a lot easier for him and he might just succeed there, but LT simply is not an option for this man.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #99
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Brad Johnson is supposed to be at Valley Ranch today. Anyone hear anything on this? He is ancient, (39), but would be a solid backup with plenty of experience should the unthinkable happen.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #100
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Like most here, I don't watch the Cardnials on a weekly basis. I do know that a couple of years back we played them in the pre-season then later at Texas Stadium and he totally engulfed Demarcus Ware. Ware would rush him and just dissappear. If he gets his hands on you it's over. The question is, can he handle the speed rushers at tackle and, can he get to the second level if he has to play guard.
he can play lt if its needed. Honestly he can play anywhere but center and be at least solid. Hed be an upgrade at rt over columbo though i think as a whole the oline would be better if they keep columbo and move him to rg assuming they dont try to move him back to lt. Hes a very nice pickup.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:13 PM   #101
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Yes and No. He was a damn fine guard in Arizona but he just can NOT handle speed rushers at LT. RT would be a lot easier for him and he might just succeed there, but LT simply is not an option for this man.
Well hopefully he'll get on our off-season program and lose a couple of pounds. He wouldn't have been the second pick in the draft if he didn't have good feet.

I want Columbo back but I'm not sure if Jerry wants to pay him what the market may dictate.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #102
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Well hopefully he'll get on our off-season program and lose a couple of pounds. He wouldn't have been the second pick in the draft if he didn't have good feet.

I want Columbo back but I'm not sure if Jerry wants to pay him what the market may dictate.
hes not signifigantly overweight. he ran a 5.2 if i remember correctly at 365 when he was at the combine. Not that 40 times are all that important but hes a great athlete and his size is important because its what makes him so dominant when he touches you. Now could he still be that dominant at 350? sure but i dont think its a huge deal that he drops weight.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #103
Five-ofan
Guru

fyi, hes given up 4 sacks in 2 years as a lt. its his best position. He handles speed rushers just fine.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #104
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
fyi, hes given up 4 sacks in 2 years as a lt. its his best position. He handles speed rushers just fine.
Oh my dear Lord. Wow...

Just consider yourself in such the minority that you can hear crickets where that opinion came from.

But I know... I know... Your right!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #105
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

ESPN is reporting that the Cowboys have signed veteran QB Brad Johnson to a 3-year deal to be Tony Romo's backup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788983
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #106
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

3 years is wayyyy too long
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #107
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Wow...
Wow!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #108
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

3.5 million for a BACKUP QB that is 39 and he is signed for 3 years??? Again, Wow!

What is the bonus in that first year? If this is essentially a 1 year contract with all of his bonus money up front and no risk from there, I guess it isn't half bad considering one Romo injury kills your season. I don't know next to Green and maybe Huard if I would prefer anyone else! I guess hit our cap when we have it to hit!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #109
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Oh my dear Lord. Wow...

Just consider yourself in such the minority that you can hear crickets where that opinion came from.

But I know... I know... Your right!
i am right. he handles speed rushers just fine. his strength is PASS blocking not run blocking despite the normal thinking that it would be the other way around. hes better off as a tackle than a guard.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #110
TomThaMavsFan

TomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enoughTomThaMavsFan will become famous soon enough

i hear the giants cut arrington, and porter's still out there, anyone think the cowboys will go after either of them?
TomThaMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #111
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito
ESPN is reporting that the Cowboys have signed veteran QB Brad Johnson to a 3-year deal to be Tony Romo's backup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788983
Called it.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #112
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
i am right. he handles speed rushers just fine. his strength is PASS blocking not run blocking despite the normal thinking that it would be the other way around. hes better off as a tackle than a guard.
OK.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #113
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So every single analyst says the exact opposite, and you feel that you watch enough Cardinals games to know better?

I dunno man...that's some strange thinking.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #114
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Amen... Cricket, Cricket, Cricket...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #115
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Norm had a disturbing stat this morning...21 false starts over the past two years.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #116
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
So every single analyst says the exact opposite, and you feel that you watch enough Cardinals games to know better?

I dunno man...that's some strange thinking.
yep, pretty much the same way all the draft gurus said Fasano was a good blocker and i felt i watched enough of him play to know otherwise.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #117
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
yep, pretty much the same way all the draft gurus said Fasano was a good blocker and i felt i watched enough of him play to know otherwise.
Everyone can watch Notre Dame play. I can believe that.

Tell us honestly how many Arizona Cardinals games you've watched the past four season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #118
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

He saw the one where Davis did a great job against Ware because Ware tries to bull rush you rather than put moves on you. If davis gets his hands on you, its over. The problem with him is elusive speed rushers that he has to really move for and never gets a strong hold on.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #119
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Norm had a disturbing stat this morning...21 false starts over the past two years.
Man... And we thought Flo was bad!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #120
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Everyone can watch Notre Dame play. I can believe that.

Tell us honestly how many Arizona Cardinals games you've watched the past four season.
2, 4, 5, 9. I watched so many last year because of my fantasy teams(i had warner, leinart, james, boldin and fitz on various teams at various times.) He was GREAT last year. You can make an argument that he was a contract year player if you want but he was flat out dominant last year.

As for ware, i didnt take much from that because there really isnt anyone else that rushes like ware that i can think of. Ware is really fast but he mostly tries to use his speed as a momentum boost to just give himself more power to run over people. Obviously that wouldnt work against big. It was nice to see if your a fan of big but its not really anything to hang your hat on.

You guys will be pleasantly suprised with him if he plays lt. Im a bit scared of him as an rt though. I thought he would be an upgrade but the more i think about it, the only times ive really seen him struggle were at rt.