Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #441
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

simply breathtaking

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dall...d=366654&shu=1

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 01:21 AM   #442
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

+rep

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #443
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

No OTA Media Access Today; Past Observation

link

Due to inclement weather and a subsequent practice schedule change, the Cowboys cancelled media access for today's OTA workout.

There's a chance we'll get access for one of the two remaining workouts this week. The Cowboys have one more round of three-day OTA's next week before their June 16-18 mini-camp.

So since we won't hear from players or head coach Wade Phillips as orginally planned, here are some quick player observations from the first two practices we've watched at nearby Standridge Field. Keep in mind these are no-contact sessions in shorts:

*Marion Barber and Felix Jones have shown no visible signs of limitation. Both look fully recovered from their respective toe injuries. Barber is running and cutting well, and Jones is lining up in several different spots. That should add so much versatility to the offense. To me, he has a chance to develop into a Westbrook type of player.

*Miles Austin is burning defenders deep as usual, but he's also looked pretty crisp with all of his routes. And Sam Hurd was catching everything in sight when we watched him a couple weeks ago. He sat out last week's open session with a sore quad but should be OK.

*Yes, a few of Tony Romo's passes fluttered last week, but keep in mind we've watched two of six practices so far. That really shouldn't be cause for alarm, but this is a big year for Tony, so naturally every throw is going to be scrutinized.

*Bobby Carpenter took some first-team nickel reps last week, and remember, at the draft Phillips indicated he wants to give Carpenter a legit chance to win Kevin Burnett's old job. Problem is, third-round pick Jason Williams and even sixth-rounder Stephen Hodge are competing for time, too. Who knows, maybe Carpenter gets some outside linebacker reps yet again with Greg Ellis on his way out.

*Speaking of Ellis, I wish I had more updates on rookie outside linebackers Brandon Williams and Victor Butler, but frankly we just haven't seen enough yet. Butler's still waiting to graduate before he can return to practice. I can tell you that Williams certainly looks the part. He's obviously a good pass rusher, but he seems to have enough agility to cover as well. DeMarcus Ware is working with Williams and spoke highly of his physical tools. The three-time Pro Bowler knows a thing or two about switching to OLB in a 3-4.

*Between Orlando Scandrick, Mike Jenkins, DeAngelo Smith and Mike Mickens (who isn't even here for OTA's yet), this younger secondary has some real swagger to it. The Cowboys seem to have gotten more athletic back there with the free-agent addition of Gerald Sensabaugh. How he covers and supports the run might just be the key to the defense's success this year.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-02-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #444
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cowboys save $4.15 million in move
LINK

The Dallas Cowboys, perhaps wanting to avoid any more offseason turmoil with veteran Greg Ellis, released the Pro Bowl linebacker Tuesday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had acknowledged last week that the 12th-year pro, who has a recent history of complaining about his role, his contract, or both, likely would be playing elsewhere this fall.

But the writing already was on the wall by April's NFL draft, when the Cowboys focused on players who could help them on the pass rush, and Ellis, 33, did not participate in the team's May 21 organized team activities session.

By releasing him, the Cowboys save the $4.15 million he was scheduled to make in 2009. But they're also losing a team leader, and Ellis is the players' union team representative.

Ellis, the Cowboys' first-round pick in 1998, played in 162 games -- all with Dallas -- and started 156 of them.

Ellis complained in 2006 about moving from defensive end to linebacker, saying the Cowboys and former coach Bill Parcells were setting him up to fail in the new 3-4 defensive alignment.

After that turned out OK, Ellis squawked again a year later when the Cowboys drafted Anthony Spencer, another college defensive end they planned to move to outside linebacker.

Back then, Ellis said he was sure they were trying to replace him and demanded a new contract that showed the team's commitment. He got the new deal in 2007 and responded with his best season, a Pro Bowl year with a career-high 12½ sacks despite missing the first three games recovering from a torn Achilles tendon. He was named the NFL Comeback Player of the Year in 2007.

Ellis finished his Cowboys career with 634 tackles, 36 tackles for losses, 197 quarterback pressures and 77 sacks.
Finally.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #445
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Finally.
Hopefully they can get Ware's contract squared away now...

Last edited by Underdog; 06-02-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #446
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, they better take care of him quickly.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #447
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

You never have to worry about Jerry paying his players. His players get PAID.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 06-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #448
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

I approve the move, it gives Spencer a chance to prove himself.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #449
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

HEY who does the tags?
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 AM   #450
Underdog

I don't know how I missed this, but apparently Adolf Hitler is pissed off about T.O. playing for Buffalo (I had no idea he was a Bills fan!)

Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #451
TheMaverick
Golden Member

old

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:37 PM   #452
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't know how I missed this, but apparently Adolf Hitler is pissed off about T.O. playing for Buffalo (I had no idea he was a Bills fan!)
Wait, I thought he was a Cowboys fan? Wasn't he complaining about Jessica Simpson after the Giants loss a year ago?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #453
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Wait, I thought he was a Cowboys fan? Wasn't he complaining about Jessica Simpson after the Giants loss a year ago?
Fascists tend to be bandwagoners...

Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #454
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Jerry Jones reportedly considering bringing back Pacman Jones
LINK

Maybe Pacman Jones actually knew what he was talking about when he predicted months ago that he'd be back at Valley Ranch this season.

Or maybe Jerry Jones enjoyed the grand opening of Cowboys Stadium so much that his judgment was temporarily clouded.

Whatever the case may be, Jerry cracked open the door to Pacman's return when he told a reporter late Saturday night that he was considering bringing back the controversial cornerback. "Would you beat me up too bad if I brought back Adam?" Jerry asked.

For business reasons, I'd be all for it. Pacman is an endless well of blog fodder.

As far as the Cowboys' best interests go, Jerry must be crazy.

Jerry, who blames the bodyguard for Jivin' at the Joule Gone Wrong, says he isn't concerned about Pacman's off-the-field problems. Well, why did the Cowboys cut him in the first place? And why hasn't another team given him even a sniff since then?

Pacman didn't make an impact for the Cowboys last season. He was OK as a cornerback and awful as a punt returner. The Cowboys went 4-5 with him and 5-2 without him. Why even consider adding all the distractions for a player who isn't a difference-maker? That would ruin much of the locker room clean-up work the Cowboys did this off-season.

And, as anybody who watched Pacman's work on Pros vs. Joes could tell you, he isn't exactly in great football shape.

And Jerry acknowledges that Pacman's presence could stunt the progress of Orlando Scandrick and Mike Jenkins. As excited as the Cowboys are about the young cornerbacks, that's reason enough to steer clear of Pacman.

Just a hunch, but I'll bet that Jerry backpedals like a cornerback when asked about the possibility of Pacman's return during tomorrow's OTA workout.
So maybe my avatar wasn't made in VAIN??

Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #455
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

^ your avatar owns

Contact Me
Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #456
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I just took a quick look at a couple of Schedules:

The Texas Rangers will be at home in the Ballpark against the LA Angels on Sunday September 20th...if things continue well, this will be a battle for the AL West title.

On the same day, Sunday September 20th...the Cowboys will have the Regular Season Home Opener against the NY Giants!!!

Could the Rangers be doing good enough to actually pull some headlines away from the Cowboys and the opening game at the new Stadium? How will traffic be getting in/out of Arlington?

I'm circling this day on the Calendar...should be one great sports day for the Metroplex!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #457
alby
Guru

By that time, the Rangers will already have the AL wrapped up

Contact Me
Old 06-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #458
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
I just took a quick look at a couple of Schedules:

The Texas Rangers will be at home in the Ballpark against the LA Angels on Sunday September 20th...if things continue well, this will be a battle for the AL West title.

On the same day, Sunday September 20th...the Cowboys will have the Regular Season Home Opener against the NY Giants!!!

Could the Rangers be doing good enough to actually pull some headlines away from the Cowboys and the opening game at the new Stadium? How will traffic be getting in/out of Arlington?

I'm circling this day on the Calendar...should be one great sports day for the Metroplex!!!
I'm sure it will be pretty damn bad. But at least the games aren't at the same time. The Rangers game is at 2pm, while the Cowboys game isn't until after 7. So there will be a lot of Rangers fans heading out of Arlington as Cowboy fans are heading into Arlington. And I'm sure some lucky people will even be going from the Rangers game to the Cowboys game.

Last edited by mavspwnage; 06-08-2009 at 04:15 PM.
mavspwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #459
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Jerry Jones reportedly considering bringing back Pacman Jones
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Please dear God....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

MAKE IT STOP!!!!!! STOP!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 06-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #460
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...y-in?ref=yahoo

Cool blog to trigger some old time Cowboy memories!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #461
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

that time lapse video was awesome
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #462
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Please dear God....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

MAKE IT STOP!!!!!! STOP!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I wonder if someone can make a youtube video of Hitler weighing in on the possibility of signing Adam Jones again...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #463
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Footage of Darth Vader's reaction to the Pacman news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5n...eature=related

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #464
Underdog

A New Slant
Tailoring The Offense To What They Do Best

link

IRVING, Texas - Two things I noticed during Monday's first of five scheduled mini-camp practices this week, and neither has anything to do with the 96-degree heat index that brought one observing media member to his knees during the morning session.

One, Roy Williams has much better hands than Terrell Owens. If he gets his head around and his hands on the ball, you can count on him catching it, unlike Owens, whose drops rose yearly into double digits.

And two, Roy Williams runs a much better slant route than Terrell Owens, more willing to go over the middle for the five-to-10-yard gain and take the hit to make the catch than what we've seen over the past few years. That is, so far, in these non-contact drills.

"Yeah, he likes that a lot," Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said just after noon on Monday while walking to the bus in the parking lot at Standridge Stadium following the day's first practice.

"Very well," was how receivers coach Ray Sherman described Roy's ability to run the slant, "very well. He's doing a lot of things well."

That's good. Because that was something consistently missing from the Cowboys' passing attack the past few years, and something an offense dearly needs to counter the blitzes the Cowboys started facing when defenses realized this was the best way to disrupt Romo's highly-efficient passing game.

See, everyone out there seems to be preoccupied with how the Cowboys are going to back defenses off the line of scrimmage; with who will be the deep threat now that Owens plays for Bills not Boys. As if he was some sort of 35-year-old speed demon who simply ran by defenses.

Get real.

While No. 81 did average 15.2 yards per catch, a lot of that can be attributed to his ability to run with the ball after the catch. It's not as if he was routinely burning teams off the line of scrimmage. In fact, he was starting to have problems getting off the line of scrimmage when defenses had a corner capable and willing to jam him there, then capable of running with him afterward.

Now I'll give him his due. He did have touchdown catches of 72, 57 and 75 yards. But in eight of the last 11 games, Owens did not have a catch longer than 25 yards, and in one of those three games he did (Philadelphia), his 42-yarder didn't occur until early in the third quarter with the Cowboys already trailing 27-3. That on the heels of a five-yarder for his long in the first half.

But he also limited what Jason Garrett could call on offense because of his inconsistent route running. Romo never could be sure where he would be on some of those three-step drops when the ball has to come out lickety-split, too many times failing to run through his route on those quick slants - a huge no-no. Plus on those quick hitters, his hands were highly susceptible.

Yet as revisionist history goes, absence makes legends grow larger.

Already Patrick Crayton sees somewhat of a change in how the Cowboys will attack blitzing defenses.

"Sometimes you have to take what the defense gives you," Crayton said. "Take the underneath stuff and get the run after the catch. Catch 'em and let's go get a bunch of YAC."

Yards After Catch.

The Cowboys ranked eighth in the NFL last year when it came to YAC, totaling 1,831 yards. The Saints led the league with 2,398, averaging 0.4 yards more after catch than the Cowboys.

While you can be sure Garrett still wants Romo taking his shots down the field, getting the ball out quicker on some shorter routes the quarterback can better trust his receivers on will in turn help out the offensive line. Pass blocking on five- and seven-step drops becomes increasingly more difficult and only invites the abundance of blitzes the Cowboys continually faced the latter part of 2008.

And while Romo was sacked 20 times in 13 games, coming to 1.5 times a game, there were far too many times Romo was dodging and weaving back there to prevent sacks. That becomes the leading cause of quarterbacks taking too many chances or becoming careless with the ball.

So while everyone loves to compartmentalize the Cowboys' failures, blaming them all on Romo's gunslinger approach or Garrett's sudden inability to call plays, the game is a tad more intricate than that.

Routes have to be run properly. Reads must be accurately made. Protection must be good. And the ball must be caught. They aren't simply playing pitch and catch back there, you know.

"Some guys are best at certain things," Romo would say later in the day in reference to Roy's ability to run routes, not just blow by everyone. "He definitely is special at separation on the inside on certain routes using his body and his hands."

And while there were signs of an improved passing game Monday morning, even though three of what would be considered the projected top five receivers heading into training camp still are nursing injuries, the two questions the Cowboys can't put to rest until the season begins persist, even though this is the fifth consecutive week of off-season workouts:

How will the Cowboys replace Terrell Owens' production, more the 10 touchdown catches of last year than his 69 catches for 1,052 yards I presume?

And, can Roy Williams become the team's lead receiver?

To the first, Crayton simply says, "There is a lot to replace with any of those numbers but now you do it collectively."

He means himself, Roy, Miles Austin, Sam Hurd, Jason Witten, Martellus Bennett, Marion Barber (52 catches last year) and . . . and . . . Felix Jones. He means this does not have to be a one-man band, and chances are there will be far fewer complaints if it isn't.

As for the second, and Roy will tire of these questions since they will continue to persist those first few weeks of training camp, he says with some exasperation, not to be argumentative, "It's all good," and then goes on to point out, "If you see the playbook, (becoming the leading receiver) is heading that way."

Says Romo, "He is quarterback-friendly with a lot of the stuff he does. He runs good routes."

This stuff takes time, and unlike last year when Williams arrived after seven games, time is on the Cowboys' side, four weeks of training camp and four preseason games still to go - not to mention three more scheduled mini-camp practices over the next two days.

And Monday sure looked better than the few OTA practices we were allowed to watch. In fact, Romo and Roy hooked up on a deep ball right down the middle of the field. Even Romo sensed better days are ahead.

"The first couple of weeks we shocked them with so much," Romo said of all the installation of plays going on. "Now they know what we're doing. The timing is better.

"We're on the same page."

Possibly one in better hands, too.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-16-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #465
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Giggity!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #466
Underdog

Another NFL career bites the dust...

R.I.P.

Quote:
Raiders sign DE Ellis

link

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) - The Oakland Raiders signed defensive end Greg Ellis on Monday night, acquiring a veteran presence as they work to upgrade their defense.

The 6-foot-6, 262-pound Ellis, who turns 34 on Aug. 14, was released earlier this month by the Dallas Cowboys - his team for all 11 of his NFL seasons. The sides completed the deal late Monday when he signed the contract, Raiders CEO Amy Trask said.

Ellis has also played linebacker but will be a defensive end in the Raiders' 4-3 system. Oakland's defense struggled in the pass rush and to generate sacks last season. Training camp opens next month in nearby Napa.

"We are proud and excited that he chose the Raiders," Trask said by phone. "We believe he will be a fine contributor at defensive end."

Raiders coach Tom Cable has acknowledged the team might trade former Pro Bowler Derrick Burgess, who is unhappy with his contract, if Oakland gets adequate compensation.

Ellis has 77 career sacks, including a career-best 12 1/2 in 2007 for the Cowboys. He's had 30 or more tackles in eight of his professional seasons.

Burgess heads into the final year of a deal that pays him a $2 million base salary this season. The Raiders have shown no interest so far in renegotiating or extending the contract.

Oakland finished 5-11 last season and went 4-8 under Cable, who took over for the fired Lane Kiffin on Sept. 30. Cable had the interim tag removed from his title in February.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #467
ty
Diamond Member

See ya!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #468
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

sucker
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #469
alby
Guru

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4261327

If only we had assets to work with...

Contact Me
Old 06-17-2009, 02:08 AM   #470
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Get rid of TO to get Baby TO?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #471
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Get rid of TO to get Baby TO?
I'd take Brandon Marshall over Terrell Owens...

(and with 3/5 of our receivers currently injured, there might be a good chance we actually pick up another WR, although I don't know if we can afford Marshall...)

Is it still too early for the Broncos to fire Josh McDaniels???

Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #472
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

How did McDaniels not get a job in Oakland. Seems like a better fit. How do you come in an not only alienate a Franchise QB, but also make your stud WR ask to leave. Wow.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #473
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'd take Brandon Marshall over Terrell Owens...

(and with 3/5 of our receivers currently injured, there might be a good chance we actually pick up another WR, although I don't know if we can afford Marshall...)

Is it still too early for the Broncos to fire Josh McDaniels???
Do you doubt Jerry "Moneybags" Jones?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #474
Underdog

Quote:
"Moneybags" don't mean much with the NFL's hard cap - there's no luxury tax wiggle room like there is in the NBA... Each team can spend $127mil in 2009 and not a penny more, no exceptions...

The Cowboys currently have 40 players signed with $20.61mil left in cap space to fill-out the remaining 13 slots on their roster (and don't forget that DeMarcus Ware still hasn't gotten an extension!)

Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #475
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Wouldn't they want some picks for part of the compensation? I figured that might be part of the problem for sure.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #476
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
"Moneybags" don't mean much with the NFL's hard cap - there's no luxury tax wiggle room like there is in the NBA... Each team can spend $127mil in 2009 and not a penny more, no exceptions...

The Cowboys currently have 40 players signed with $20.61mil left in cap space to fill-out the remaining 13 slots on their roster (and don't forget that DeMarcus Ware still hasn't gotten an extension!)
Yah, I can agree with your thinking, but we wouldn't be signing him. We would be trading for him right?

On top of that, Jerry has a great relationship with his players. Re-work a contract here and there, take care of your players well, and anything is possible.

This guy has been known to go above and beyond if it puts his team in a better position. Of course, that being said, he can also be a douche at times too.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #477
Underdog

Quote:
Yah, I can agree with your thinking, but we wouldn't be signing him. We would be trading for him right?
And who would we be trading to acquire him? Anyone whose salary matches is too important to let go...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #478
Underdog

Here's a nice summary of the Cowboys minicamp so far...

(it's written by Mickey Spagnola - he's all over the place as a writer, but he knows football...)

Quote:
Bringing Minicamp Practice To Your Doorstep

link

CARROLLTON, Texas - Remember all that stuff about upgraded competition been telling you about?

Well, you should have been here Tuesday morning. Things got a tad chippy, the offense and the defense really going at each other in the team portion and seven-on-seven segments of this third of five scheduled mini-camp practices.

Lot of chirping going on, too, You'd have thought the pads were on and something was on the line, other than getting through yet another of these jersey and shorts practices in the scalding Texas sun, still six weeks away from the start of training camp. And we're not talking just the young pups either. There was Leonard Davis, from the sideline with the second offense taking advantage of the first defense, really giving it to the starters during a two-minute drill, sort of payback from earlier in the practice.

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about. If they care about this stuff, no telling what will take place in a real game. Wade Phillips can only hope this carries over to training camp.

One of the lead chirpers, and growing chirpier by the practice is second-year running back Tashard Choice. By golly you know where he is on the field at all times. Talk, talk, talk.

"I talk a lot and I get the guys excited a lot," Choice said. "I'm not a football player who likes to be quiet. I love doing what I do so when I'm out here talkin' to the guys I like to talk and get them fired up."

Should have heard him after catching a perfect Tony Romo pass on the run down the left hash, screaming as he came trotting back toward the line of scrimmage, "Hey Romo, good throw," and believe me it was loud enough for everyone to hear. The second-year kid telling the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback nice job.

Some chatterbox.

"I don't know, a lot of the guys lead by example," Choice said, "but I probably fire everybody up mostly because I like to talk."

Hey, gets you fired up just listening to him, that infectious enthusiasm for what he's doing one part refreshing, one part inspiring and another part sort of amusing. Should have been there.

But since you weren't, then here, let's bring some of the past three practices from Standridge Stadium to you, sort of your very own Eyes of Texas . . . .

With all the injury problems at wide receiver, and another one dropped out on Tuesday, rookie free agent Kevin Ogletree, the Cowboys appear to have caught a break with Travis Wilson. While fearing the worse, his left knee scope on Tuesday revealed a loose piece of cartilage that was removed, and the young receiver who played some of his high school ball right here at this stadium should be good to go for the start of training camp. That's a good because he was competing hard for that fourth or fifth receiver spot . . . . Same surgery was done on the left knee of rookie linebacker Stephen Hodge, also projected to be ready for the start of training camp . . . .

Couple quick observations: Marion Barber looks a tad slimmer and quicker. Maybe fully participating in the off-season workouts this year is making a difference. Remember, last year, while his agent Drew Rosenhaus was working on a long-term deal for the restricted free agent, Barber decided to work out in Miami on his own until he signed his deal . . . Romo looks better, too . . . You can understand why Mike Jenkins was a first-round pick last year just watching him do some of these individual drills. He's really fluid and quick and fast but has his hands full with Orlando Scandrick competing for the starting right corner job . . . .

More infectious enthusiasm is spreading through the special teams, and you can attribute that to new special teams coach Joe DeCamillis, who continues coaching wearing his neck harness and bullhorn. Should have seen on this one punt coverage drill, gunner Alan Ball going full speed toward the end zone and leaping over the goal line to bat the ball back in play to be killed at the 2. Which was met by a lot of hootin' and hollerin'. And this is just practice . . . .

Speaking of special teams, there is nothing wrong with punter Mat McBriar's repaired foot. In fact, if he keeps booming these 60- and 70-yard punts (OK, with the wind on Monday), someone is going to investigate to see if they placed like titanium on top of his foot where all those little bones were busted in Arizona . . . . While kicker Nick Folk is probably boring himself to death just running these days after surgery to repair the torn labrum in his right hip, he says he'll progress to kicking a volleyball on Monday . . . And noticed when rookie David Buehler was doing some place kicking on Monday, McBriar and Sam Hurd were doing the holding. Also, Matt Stewart, once the backup deep snapper in Atlanta for DeCamillis, was practicing doing so next to L.P. Ladouceur . . . .

This from Romo when asked if tight end Martellus Bennett had matured and is taking the game more seriously than some perceived last year: "There is no set rule you have to be a certain way to win." Just remember this about last year's second-round draft choice. He's been 22 years old now for all of three months. Think back when. On second thought, maybe don't . . . Ball sure continues to break on the ball from the safety position he's learning, seemingly making at least one breakup a practice . . . .

Since he's arrived, first-round pick Bobby Carpenter always has been a guy without a home, er, position, being move from outside linebacker to backup inside, back to outside, then back to the weak inside and now the strong inside. But he's getting his chance to make a home for himself as the other linebacker on the nickel next to Bradie James, the spot Kevin Burnett had been playing. His ability to react to what he sees will determine if he gets that spot or if starter Keith Brooking (second-team nickel) is asked to remain a three-down linebacker . . . There are some questions which don't go away, no matter how many times they've been asked since there is always someone new around to ask again. Take Patrick Crayton. His question of the summer remains "Do you feel like the forgotten receiver," in reference to so much being made about Roy Williams taking over for What's His Name and the expectations surrounding Miles Austin. Says Crayton, "Am I supposed to get mad about that?" Yeah, really. Just do what you did in 2007, like catch another 50 balls for 700 or so yards and seven touchdowns, given the opportunity . . . .

Good to see Greg Ellis catch on with Oakland, and while numbers haven't been announced, there has been talk of a three-year, $15 million deal. All the Cowboys care about is if he is paid at least $1.5 million, because that's the portion of his $4.15 million base salary they had guaranteed. If and when he earns that, the Cowboys would get a rebate on the $1.5 million being charged to their cap. There also was a $1.5 million completion bonus on his base salary, meaning if he completed the season he'd get paid another $1.5 million on top of the $4.15 million base. The Cowboys were being charged that, too. Releasing him did potentially clear $5.61 million, providing he makes at least $1.5 million this year . . . .

Of the young receivers out there, seventh-round pick Manuel Johnson seems to have been overshadowed by free agents Kevin Ogletree and Julian Hawkins. But Tuesday morning he had his best off-season practice of the seven we've been able to watch . . . Saw in one defensive set rookie Michael Hamlin was lined up as a linebacker, sort of in the spot Anthony Henry was playing some last year . . . Here is what I like best about Michael Hamlin, DeAngelo Hall and Mike Mickens. These young kids will compete now . . . .

Some might say he's being defensive, but really he's being somewhat accurate, Romo saying when asked about the offense struggling last year "We struggled from a media and fans standpoint . . . we can score 30 points a game and go 6-10 and we struggled." His point being, during the Great Offensive in 2007, the Cowboys averaged 28.4 points a game. During last year's perceived Great Depression, the Cowboys averaged in the 13 games Romo started - and remember, three of them wearing a cast on his right little finger - 24.7. Once again, scoring six points in the season finale at Philadelphia during the Cowboys' inconceivable, team-wide no-show, clouds the entire picture and lowered what had been a 26.25 scoring average in Romo's first 12 starts of the season . . . .

And lastly this from Phillips on the team's first draft choice, Jason Williams, who has a lot to learn moving to the weak inside backer spot on the 3-4 defense and also taking on one of the linebacker roles on the nickel: "He's taking baby steps . . . It's a lot for a guy who played standup off the guard." He means Williams was lining up at Western Illinois as a stand-up linebacker over one of the offensive guards. And as we've discovered over the years, the further from the ball you play on defense the harder it is. But heard the coaches giving him a few "atta boys" for his coverages on Tuesday . . . .

Now then, let us end with a few Choice words on the spirited workout: "Competition baby, more and more we can make it look like we're out here in a game the better we'll be in certain instances."

You got it, so like I've been saying, competition baby.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-17-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #479
alby
Guru

Brandon Marshall is asking for a trade, but he also asking for a extension with his new team.

I'm too lazy to find the link for this, but apparently Garrett called out Romo for not being in shape. Finally, JG stepped up.

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 06-17-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #480
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
I'm too lazy to find the link for this, but apparent Garrett called out Romo for not being in shape. Finally, JG stepped up.
He's been benching players for false starts in practice too - even Jason Witten got benched for a series...

(it's starting to look like Jason Garrett is the reason T.O. was sent packing - he suddenly seems to have grown a pair!)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-17-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Tags
!peppers != 19-0, holy neck, not even participants, peppers = 19-0, villareal, we win super balls now?, what is a charger?