Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #2161
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Posts #2132-#2135 are strong to quite strong!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #2162
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Posts #2132-#2135 are strong to quite strong!
I was going to go back and edit them blank, but sometimes I enjoy laughing at how nutty professor I can be on the computer at times. It is quite the abrupt, random diversion.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #2163
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Next year will be Beaubois' breakout year. I'm calling it first.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #2164
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
That's just wishful thinking on your part. He's still only 23. Again, i see the FO trading him, if the deal makes us better, no way they trade him in a salary dump. That's totally unrealistic. And it's not like we're gonna fill out the roster with only veteran minimum players next year. Roddy is getting 2 million, what, that's close to his caphold, no? Even if he does not become the player we want him (well, not you), that defense, and athleticism alone wort 2 million imo. For all his shortcomings on offense, you can't deny the fact he played excellent defense this year.
Not wishful thinking, nor not wishful thinking. Roddy looks to me to be jag right now. I'd rather keep delonte.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #2165
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are really only two possibilities. Either they get both DWill and D12 in the summer and then everybody will be gone except Dirk (because that's the only way it works) or they miss out and presumably all youngs and unguaranteed contracts (Delonte, Vince, not so sure about Odom) will be back.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #2166
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
ribosoma said:.There are several posters here who routinely call RC "stupid" or "an idiot". Even some who blame him for playoff losses when he wasn't even coaching the team.

It seems apparent to me that RC has a plan for Roddy so far this season. Being that those who laud him often point out that he needs to build his confidence, I would think that playing him against non-contending teams would do exactly that. The idea that Carlisle "doesn't develop young players" (an unfortunate theme displayed by several posters ) is factually inaccurate. Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Al Harrington, Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, and JJB prove otherwise, to name a few.

..I am not attacking the entire board, just pointing out the repeated themes of a few posters here. If you interpret those in a different way than I do, that's okay by me. No harm done.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________ Wilmtalk said:
No coach is perfect and no coach is totally without merit. I in the past have called RC an idiot. Now within the context I called him an Idiot I still stand by that. In those area's he is still deficiant. Now you in your earlier post stated that RC won the Champianship. The team won the Champianship. I didn't see him out on the floor. Now I do give him credit for starting Chandler thoughout the season instead of Haywood. As to utilizing JJB against LA that was a no brainer because both LA and Miami had trouble with quick points. It was not that brilliant a move as some media heads harped on. Besides RC when he has utilized a player within the rotation for some time and having had a lot of time to to evaluate how the player impacts the rotation he is a pretty good coach. He had the entire season to do so. I have always said he is a good coach with a standard rotation. He just has problems making adjustments on the fly. He has difficulty evaluating an unknown ( new players) or making a quick adjustment. This is what you deal with with rookies they lack consistancy. With veterans they have a history so even if they were not on his team he knows their skill level and what he will get from them. He is also very conservative. There were really no inovative moves that were made in the playoffs. That only seemed so to those that had not really followed the mavs during the regular season. RC has predetermined moves which he utilizes under certain circumstances. He is not a quick thinker, rather he is very methodical.

Having young players on your team does not mean you developed them. That is purely an assumption you make to bolster your argument. Some players come into the league at a higher level of development. Each player is different. Now a relatively inexperienced player such as Roddy really needs development. In relation to his stint in Indiana I defered to the judgement of a basketball knowledgable friend of mine who has been an Indiana fan and follows them extensively. He stated that RC was not good at developing rookies there. That was a main reason he was no longer there.

As to his stint in Dallas, I stand by my statement about RC. Green while having a low BBIQ and probably not much of an NBA future actually got worse the longer he was here. Now I can understand a player not getting better, but getting worse says a lot. To say that RC developed JJB is a joke. Our Latin posters will tell you that JJB was an offensive force with a lot of experience and success in International BB already. All that happened here was that he finally was integrated into the offense. And that took quite some time. JJB was not raw like Roddy.

RC is a very good coach in utilizing veterans. Now last years team was an ideal situation for both RC and the mavs. Now if the mavs were to continue to resign veterans and go that route than RC will continue to do fine. But if they want to build for the future with Key veterans while also developing young talent ( low cap number).I don't think he is the guy. As Cuban said the way the salary cap is set up now the latter is the only way to go. I think once the veterans are gone RC developmental weakness's will become evident and it end just like his stint in Indiana did. RC needs and thrives on veterans.

You say you think he has a plan for Roddy. I say his plan is to use him to try to learn how develop players because he knows that skill is now essential for him to be successful as a coach in the future. The problem is that Roddy development is suffering because of RC's on the job training in that area. Who know what it is that RC seems to lack. Patiance, inability to communicate? I have known a few people in my time who were very knowledgable but couldn't or didn't care to transfer that knowledge to others. It might be a personality thing. Some people just can't teach.

Last edited by wilmtalk; 02-15-2012 at 11:27 AM.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #2167
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
__________________________________________________ ________________________________
ribosoma said:.There are several posters here who routinely call RC "stupid" or "an idiot". Even some who blame him for playoff losses when he wasn't even coaching the team.

It seems apparent to me that RC has a plan for Roddy so far this season. Being that those who laud him often point out that he needs to build his confidence, I would think that playing him against non-contending teams would do exactly that. The idea that Carlisle "doesn't develop young players" (an unfortunate theme displayed by several posters ) is factually inaccurate. Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Al Harrington, Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, and JJB prove otherwise, to name a few.

..I am not attacking the entire board, just pointing out the repeated themes of a few posters here. If you interpret those in a different way than I do, that's okay by me. No harm done.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________ Wilmtalk said:
No coach is perfect and no coach is totally without merit. I in the past have called RC an idiot. Now within the context I called him an Idiot I still stand by that. In those area's he is still deficiant. Now you in your earlier post stated that RC won the Champianship. The team won the Champianship. I didn't see him out on the floor. Now I do give him credit for starting Chandler thoughout the season instead of Haywood. As to utilizing JJB against LA that was a no brainer because both LA and Miami had trouble with quick points. It was not that brilliant a move as some media heads harped on. Besides RC when he has utilized a player within the rotation for some time and having had a lot of time to to evaluate how the player impacts the rotation he is a pretty good coach. He had the entire season to do so. I have always said he is a good coach with a standard rotation. He just has problems making adjustments on the fly. He has difficulty evaluating an unknown ( new players) or making a quick adjustment. This is what you deal with with rookies they lack consistancy. With veterans they have a history so even if they were not on his team he knows their skill level and what he will get from them. He is also very conservative. There were really no inovative moves that were made in the playoffs. That only seemed so to those that had not really followed the mavs during the regular season. RC has predetermined moves which he utilizes under certain circumstances. He is not a quick thinker, rather he is very methodical.

Having young players on your team does not mean you developed them. That is purely an assumption you make to bolster your argument. Some players come into the league at a higher level of development. Each player is different. Now a relatively inexperienced player such as Roddy really needs development. In relation to his stint in Indiana I defered to the judgement of a basketball knowledgable friend of mine who has been an Indiana fan and follows them extensively. He stated that RC was not good at developing rookies there. That was a main reason he was no longer there.

As to his stint in Dallas, I stand by my statement about RC. Green while having a low BBIQ and probably not much of an NBA future actually got worse the longer he was here. Now I can understand a player not getting better, but getting worse says a lot. To say that RC developed JJB is a joke. Our Latin posters will tell you that JJB was an offensive force with a lot of experience and success in International BB already. All that happened here was that he finally was integrated into the offense. And that took quite some time. JJB was not raw like Roddy.

RC is a very good coach in utilizing veterans. Now last years team was an ideal situation for both RC and the mavs. Now if the mavs were to continue to resign veterans and go that route than RC will continue to do fine. But if they want to build for the future with Key veterans while also developing young talent ( low cap number).I don't think he is the guy. As Cuban said the way the salary cap is set up now the latter is the only way to go. I think once the veterans are gone RC developmental weakness's will become evident and it end just like his stint in Indiana did. RC needs and thrives on veterans.

You say you think he has a plan for Roddy. I say his plan is to use him to try to learn how develop players because he knows that skill is now essential for him to be successful as a coach in the future. The problem is that Roddy development is suffering because of RC's on the job training in that area. Who know what it is that RC seems to lack. Patiance, inability to communicate? I have known a few people in my time who were very knowledgable but couldn't or didn't care to transfer that knowledge to others. It might be a personality thing. Some people just can't teach.
So, just to be clear, Carlisle's strengths, as cited by almost all of the players he has coached (in-game adjustments, innovative game-planning and play-calling) you consider weaknesses. Not only do your opinions fly in the face of the players he has coached, the other coaches in the league, and the writers who follow the sport, but they are completely nonsensical when simply watching the game.

If criticism is valid, have at it. The simple fact is that bad coaches, or especially coaches with the shortcomings you feel the need to tar Carlisle with, don't win NBA titles. Ever.

And, presumanly with a straight face, you bring up Gerald effing Green as an example of his failure to develop young talent? Really? Wouldn't Green have had to show some kind of ability at any of his stops in the league for you to make that assessment? Outside of dunking in garbage time, I just don't see it.

It seems like some fans have their pet developmental players that they make sure to tell everyone about ad nauseum. The common fallout after they don't live up to their expectations is to blame the coach for that player's lack of development. Sometimes, my friend, those pet players just can't get it done. Never was there a better example of this than Gerald Green. If he had anything to offer this league, he is certainly young enough to be in the league right now... and he isn't. If Gerald Green is one of the piers of the foundation you are resting your argument on, I'm afraid that said argument has already collapsed.

Your other pier for the foundation of your argument is... a fan. And that fan said that Rick wasn't good at developing young players. So, my homework assignment for you is the following:

Look over the Pacers rosters while Rick was coaching there and let me know who he should have developed better. Prove your point, once and for all. I'm sure that there should be one player on those rosters who was young and immensely talented, only to be forced to work for Rick Carlisle, the coach who doesn't develop young players.

Until then, your opinion seems to be unfounded in regards to RC. Rick demands attention to detail and toughness from his players. With those two characteristics being key to his style, it is easy for me to see why Roddy hasn't just been handed the reins. This team is about winning titles now, not placating fans who are too proud to admit that they were wrong about the coach.

The part of your post that I highlighted in red is particularly troublesome. Your parameters for your argument don't seem to be valid. Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, and Tayshaun Prince have all credited RC for their development. But those players somehow don't count because??? Because your argument falls apart, maybe? Now, if each player is an individual, some needing more development, some less, then name the players who Rick has coached that fit Roddy's level of development (or lack thereof) when he came into the league. I'll help you. There isn't one.

You have absolutely zero idea of how the staff is developing Roddy. You seem to be basing your opinion on playing time, so my question to you is, do you risk the season to get Roddy more playing time? Do you risk playoff seeding? Because he has already had several off games so far this season where he was tentative and cost the team. Do you not get Kidd into game shape so you can make some fans look less douchey because they wear their Free Roddy shirts to games?

I have an extremely hard time believing that the veterans on this team would buy into Carlisle's system if they felt that Roddy's development this season was a key to defending their title. The quotes from his teammates seem to reflect a truth that the Free Roddy camp can't seem to grasp: If Roddy is to succeed or fail he must be more consistent. He must "be ready." He hasn't been consistent. He often drifts and loses focus. He pouts. That does not earn you playing time on a championship-caliber roster. Ever. Thus far, Roddy has been a massive disappointment. I was excited as anyone to see him succeed because it would help the TEAM. He is playing for a title contender with a coach who many players, coaches, GMs, and owners consider to be the best in the game right now. If he doesn't pan out, it will all be on him, the player, you know, the guys who win games, as you pointed out.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #2168
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Beat out by dojo in summer league
Beat out by Stevenson last year.
Beat out by delonte this year.

All while being GIVEN the starters role.

Who is failing to develop whom?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #2169
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Beat out by dojo in summer league
Beat out by Stevenson last year.
Beat out by delonte this year.

All while being GIVEN the starters role.

Who is failing to develop whom?
Roddy as a starter has a PER of 16.48, assisted on 40.00% of the teams field goals (4.81 AST_TOV ratio) while shooting 45.00% eFG.
Delonte as a starter has 15.12 PER, assisted on 31.15% if the teams field goals (2.15 AST_TOV ratio) while shooting 45.12% eFG.
Kidd as a starter has 9.59 PER, assisted on 74.07% if the teams field goals (2.33 AST_TOV ratio) while shooting 40.76% eFG.

The numbers don't tell you everything, but to some degree this is team philosophy more than lack of production. I won't complain any longer, because I'm fine with it, but who is failing to beat out whom?

Last edited by j0Shi; 02-15-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #2170
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Roddy as a starter has a PER of 16.48, assisted on 40.00% of the teams field goals (4.81 AST_TOV ratio) while shooting 45.00% eFG.
Delonte as a starter has 15.12 PER, assisted on 31.15% if the teams field goals (2.15 AST_TOV ratio) while shooting 45.12% eFG.
Kidd as a starter has 9.59 PER, assisted on 74.07% if the teams field goals (2.33 AST_TOV ratio) while shooting 40.76% eFG.

The numbers don't tell you everything, but to some degree this is team philosophy more than lack of production. I won't complain any longer, because I'm fine with it, but who is failing to beat out whom?
Clearly this means that all calculating devices are in favor of starting Roddy over Kidd and replacing Carlisle with Beaker from The Muppets. At least that's what I took away from it.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #2171
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Hot damn, ribosoma is bringing the pain in this thread. Nothing more needs be said.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #2172
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribosoma View Post
The part of your post that I highlighted in red is particularly troublesome. Your parameters for your argument don't seem to be valid. Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, and Tayshaun Prince have all credited RC for their development. But those players somehow don't count because??? Because your argument falls apart, maybe? Now, if each player is an individual, some needing more development, some less, then name the players who Rick has coached that fit Roddy's level of development (or lack thereof) when he came into the league. I'll help you. There isn't one.
To nitpick
Chauncey Billups credits Flip Saunders for his career not Carlisle. Chauncey had his breakout in Minnesota after Terrell Brandon went down. Billups career had been spiraling downward because of his injuries and poor shooting. Saunders had brought him to Timberwolves as backup after it looked as if his career had reached an end. By the time he got to Detroit, Chauncey was going into his 7th year in the league.

Rip Hamilton was going into his 4th year when he went to Detroit. He had been averaging 19pts per game the 2 years prior.

Ron Artest and Al Harrington were in their 6th and 5th years. They both had been trending upwards in points and minutes before Carlisle had arrived.

Tayshaun Prince was one of the reason's Carlisle was fired from the Pistons. He couldn't break into the rotation during the regular season. He didn't get burn until his back was against the wall (sounds familiar) and the Pistons were about to be swept out of the playoffs. Prince is the only player to have scored more points in the playoffs than the regular season.

We can even talk about Ian, Brandan, and probably Yi. Ian was drafted in 2005, played professionally overseas for a couple years after being drafted, and the d-league for the Spurs. Brandan and Yi both drafted in 2007 and have had their once promising careers derailed due to injury and poor play.

Carlisle's history is that he doesn't want anything to do with the growing pains that is exhibit by young players (pouting, inconsistency, loss of concentration) under his watch, which he hides under the mantra of "be ready". You have to go through a period of unprepared before you actually get to "ready". That is how it works 95% of the time.

I actually do agree with J0shi. This team cannot survive a long championship run if Kidd continues his poor play. The offense doesn't run as efficiently when West/Terry/Roddy is at the helm. It's probably best for the team as constructed to swing deal for another PG.

Last edited by b_o_r; 02-15-2012 at 06:06 PM.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #2173
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Fish reports Roddy's father died, will be likely out tonight (and presumably longer)
Old 02-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #2174
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch...rough times for him.

He will be gone at least 1-2 weeks
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #2175
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Ahh that sucks...kinda makes me feel bad for being hard on him

AND not to be cold or anything...but maybe Roddy comes back a different person after all this. Because someone had mentioned this before...that Roddy had a bit of that "too kool for skool" body language out there on the court. Things like this make you reconsider everything in your life...and maybe in some way Roddy decides that a good way to deal with things is to focus on basketball and get back to being the best he can be.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #2176
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Man.. Poor guy.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #2177
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Roddy (in spite of your numbers which have to make you a little suspicious of them because they are not passing the smell test) has failed to beat out the above. He's obviously balling like no ones business in the excel bowl.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #2178
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

This would've been another chance for Roddy to crack the playoff rotation. I guess luck just isn't on his side.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #2179
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
This would've been another chance for Roddy to crack the playoff rotation. I guess luck just isn't on his side.
It is unfortunate, we could have really used him tonight and he could have gotten a lot of time.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #2180
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Roddy (in spite of your numbers which have to make you a little suspicious of them because they are not passing the smell test) has failed to beat out the above. He's obviously balling like no ones business in the excel bowl.
The smell test, or eye test, is a metric that fails 95% of the time. I'm not a fan of the eye test for judging basketball at all. Either you can back up your opinion with objective measurements or you don't.

That makes me an ignorant hardliner, I know.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #2181
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

i missed the game tonight... what exactly is wrong with him
Old 02-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #2182
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The smell test, or eye test, is a metric that fails 95% of the time. I'm not a fan of the eye test for judging basketball at all. Either you can back up your opinion with objective measurements or you don't.

95%? Wow. I can appreciate your being a hardliner...but to claim a 95% failure rate seems pretty wild.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #2183
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
95%? Wow. I can appreciate your being a hardliner...but to claim a 95% failure rate seems pretty wild.
Simple experiment: Take 20 random NBA fans and ask them who the best clutch shooter last regular season was. You think two of them (to beat my 95%) would name Kris Humphries?
Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #2184
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Simple experiment: Take 20 random NBA fans and ask them who the best clutch shooter last regular season was. You think two of them (to beat my 95%) would name Kris Humphries?
You didn't establish "95% of the time," there. You established one instance of 95% error. You are a stats guy...you don't get this??

The honest way to examine the "problem" that you have proposed is to determine some sort of way to rate a player's ability, and then to compare it to the "eye test" or "sniff test" that an ordinary fan would use.

Here's a hint: Most people are going to use their "eye test" and decide that Dirk is good, and they are going to be right.

You are using your "95% wrong" thing in a very narrow context...and I might add, one that is entirely irrelevant the discussion in this thread.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:34 AM   #2185
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not really the best analogy. Many of those Humphries buckets could have been easy putbacks. That doesn't necessarily make him clutch. (Is Calvin Booth clutch?)
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #2186
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

My condolences to Roddy, and his family.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #2187
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:

It's too bad you have to use your eyes to watch the game. If only we were cyborgs...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #2188
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Remember when the Mavs could have had Gerald Wallace for Roddy?

Hard to be too upset - Wallace might have screwed up the chemistry / minute distribution in last year's playoffs. And he's owed 11 million next season. But still crazy to think that kind of value was out there.
Well I'd bet that if you put Roddy in every game and let him learn, he would be a different player than he is now. We just have so much talent here we don't need to run that experiment.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #2189
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
You didn't establish "95% of the time," there. You established one instance of 95% error. You are a stats guy...you don't get this??

The honest way to examine the "problem" that you have proposed is to determine some sort of way to rate a player's ability, and then to compare it to the "eye test" or "sniff test" that an ordinary fan would use.

Here's a hint: Most people are going to use their "eye test" and decide that Dirk is good, and they are going to be right.

You are using your "95% wrong" thing in a very narrow context...and I might add, one that is entirely irrelevant the discussion in this thread.
You're right, I was imprecise. And I should apply the same standards to me as I do to other users. My apologies.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #2190
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's too bad you have to use your eyes to watch the game. If only we were cyborgs...
Robodirk is

Besides: You ever thought about joining the force of fake-accounts on twitter? You've got some talent.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #2191
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Robodirk is

Besides: You ever thought about joining the force of fake-accounts on twitter? You've got some talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcaxlxgnvf0
Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #2192
Froggie

Froggie is on a distinguished road

Hi!

A french documentary about the french players in nba was published on Internet named "In their world".
A journalist met Rodrigues Beaubois and Ian Mahinmi at Dallas. We can see their life in Dallas, and in the squad. The documentary talk about Dallas city and the fans too with interview of Beaubois, Mahinmi, Kidd and fans. It's a good publicity for the Mavs in France.

Here the link to watch (go to 14minutes):
http://video.lequipe.fr/video/basket...g=af677705a38s

One inconvenient, it's in french language. If you want, I can traduce some part.

The part about Dallas Mavericks start at 14minutes and continue in the part 2, here:
http://video.lequipe.fr/video/basket...g=61b69424fa0s

The other part are Joakim Noah at Chicago, Boris Diaw at Charlotte and Tony Parker at San Antonio.
Froggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #2193
Justafix

Justafix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie View Post
Hi!

A french documentary about the french players in nba was published on Internet named "In their world".
A journalist met Rodrigues Beaubois and Ian Mahinmi at Dallas. We can see their life in Dallas, and in the squad. The documentary talk about Dallas city and the fans too with interview of Beaubois, Mahinmi, Kidd and fans. It's a good publicity for the Mavs in France.

Here the link to watch (go to 14minutes):
http://video.lequipe.fr/video/basket...g=af677705a38s

One inconvenient, it's in french language. If you want, I can traduce some part.

The part about Dallas Mavericks start at 14minutes and continue in the part 2, here:
http://video.lequipe.fr/video/basket...g=61b69424fa0s

The other part are Joakim Noah at Chicago, Boris Diaw at Charlotte and Tony Parker at San Antonio.
Thank you very much.
If you could do subtitles, it would be perfect.
[download video, add subs, reupload at youtube, vimeo or another platform]
Justafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #2194
Froggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justafix View Post
Thank you very much.
If you could do subtitles, it would be perfect.
[download video, add subs, reupload at youtube, vimeo or another platform]

Ok but I don't know how add subs. Do you now software ?
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #2195
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Man you do this you are a star. If you are so inclined I would translate it and let someone else subtitle it. Either way, kudos...
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #2196
Froggie

Quote:
Man you do this you are a star. If you are so inclined I would translate it and let someone else subtitle it. Either way, kudos...
Yep, I can write the translation of best that I can (because I haven't a perfect english like you can see ).
But for add subtitle, I don't know how I can do. I'm not strong in computing.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #2197
Justafix

Justafix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't, but google helps tutorial subtitle workshop, for example.

Last edited by Justafix; 02-17-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Justafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #2198
ribosoma
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_o_r View Post
To nitpick
Chauncey Billups credits Flip Saunders for his career not Carlisle. Chauncey had his breakout in Minnesota after Terrell Brandon went down. Billups career had been spiraling downward because of his injuries and poor shooting. Saunders had brought him to Timberwolves as backup after it looked as if his career had reached an end. By the time he got to Detroit, Chauncey was going into his 7th year in the league.

Rip Hamilton was going into his 4th year when he went to Detroit. He had been averaging 19pts per game the 2 years prior.

Ron Artest and Al Harrington were in their 6th and 5th years. They both had been trending upwards in points and minutes before Carlisle had arrived.

Tayshaun Prince was one of the reason's Carlisle was fired from the Pistons. He couldn't break into the rotation during the regular season. He didn't get burn until his back was against the wall (sounds familiar) and the Pistons were about to be swept out of the playoffs. Prince is the only player to have scored more points in the playoffs than the regular season.

We can even talk about Ian, Brandan, and probably Yi. Ian was drafted in 2005, played professionally overseas for a couple years after being drafted, and the d-league for the Spurs. Brandan and Yi both drafted in 2007 and have had their once promising careers derailed due to injury and poor play.

Carlisle's history is that he doesn't want anything to do with the growing pains that is exhibit by young players (pouting, inconsistency, loss of concentration) under his watch, which he hides under the mantra of "be ready". You have to go through a period of unprepared before you actually get to "ready". That is how it works 95% of the time.

I actually do agree with J0shi. This team cannot survive a long championship run if Kidd continues his poor play. The offense doesn't run as efficiently when West/Terry/Roddy is at the helm. It's probably best for the team as constructed to swing deal for another PG.
Larry Brown was the reason that Carlisle was fired in Detroit. Joe Dumars had the view that Carlisle was too green to take the Pistons to the next level, and he may have been right at that time. I think this was why Rick was so accommodating at his exit, appearing and speaking at the press conference where his termination was announced. Carlisle understood what was going on perfectly. Larry Brown had scoreboard.

Carlisle's history is to radically transform the culture of a team, first and foremost. That's why the nitpicking and revisionism seems so ridiculous to me. Perhaps the reason why some see Carlisle as not being a guy who trusts young players is because he rarely coaches the type of team that relies upon young players (i.e., a non-competitive team).

Chauncey got to Detroit and Carlisle brought out the absolute best in him. Whether or not you see that as development is conjecture. The concept of player development is entirely subjective, so if you like Carlisle, you may be compelled to give him credit for developing talent, especially when the actual players themselves did, and if you dislike Carlisle, you will probably be inclined to dismiss his impact on young players. I am relatively confident that if Roddy does indeed develop into what he could be as a Mav, a few here will give Carlisle zero credit for it. That's when we'll get the "players play the game" argument by the same people who blame a lack of said development on a coach. It's quite the cop-out, in my opinion.

All I really know of Carlisle is what I've seen over the past several years, and that is that I have seen his impact on THIS team grow and that he has ultimate scoreboard over all of the armchair analysts who criticize him out there. He won a title. Coaches who win a title tend to know what they are doing. And, I would assume, perhaps to a fault, that he knows a great deal more about developing players than a casual fan with a seemingly flawed short-term memory.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #2199
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

*edit* Double post

Last edited by LonghornDub; 02-17-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #2200
LonghornDub

Quote:
He won a title. Coaches who win a title tend to know what they are doing. And, I would assume, perhaps to a fault, that he knows a great deal more about developing players than a casual fan with a seemingly flawed short-term memory.
And he didn't just win a title, he won a title against probably 2 of the 3 best players in the league, despite he himself having only one player on that level.

Tags
"boo boo", broussard mav hater, b_o_r_i_n_g, doghouse, easy win, employé numéro huit, flying frenchman, free roddy b's foot, jeff's vagina monologues, mikefisherhypemachine, myroddybucketisfull, overrated pos, roddy = rondo but better, rudy!rudy!rudy!, the future, wankingoff to roddy vid