Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #4041
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I almost wonder if this isn't a leak from the Nets trying to convince Deron that they will have the ability to improve. Is that crazy? It is, isn't it?
I could see it. They seem desperate.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #4042
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
Too many factors? As far as I can see this Howard trade is the one thing that would make me think he is going to Brooklyn. I'm not convinced the JJ trade will bring him there.
I'm aware I'm trying to talk myself into not believing this crap. Becoming a bit of a doomsayer. I've just had it with guys requesting trades to certain teams and forcing the hands of others, severely weakening the options they have.

It makes the league looks even worse than it already does in some people's eyes. 99% of the players in the league right now have ZERO class.
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #4043
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffViggiano View Post
Are we missing something? Everything for a week or so has been Nets, Nets, Nets... Not even a hint of Dallas. The Nets are now making a trade that appears to have Deron's approval. I mean why is he approving trades for a team that he won't be on? Writing has been on the wall but we're only seeing that wall through Blue tinted glasses I'm afraid. Lets just hear the official announcement so we can move on....
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #4044
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

Sigh being a Mavs fan sure is frustrating sometimes

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #4045
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

Quote:
The source noted that the Mavs could send the Magic some combination of the expiring contracts of Rodrigue Beaubois, Vince Carter, Dominique Jones and Brandan Wright, and rookies Jared Cunningham, Bernard James and Jae Crowder, plus draft picks and involve Ian Mahinmi in a sign-and-trade for Howard.
Read this somewhere. Its for d12. After this move. would there be room for D.will?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #4046
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Kyler ‏ @ stevekylerNBA
Hearing Dallas has been aggressive regarding Dwight Howard too... willing to give their entire draft to Orlando along with ending deals.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #4047
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I almost wonder if this isn't a leak from the Nets trying to convince Deron that they will have the ability to improve. Is that crazy? It is, isn't it?

You're not the only one thinking this way...

Quote:
Tony Mejia: No, I don't believe deal w/ Brook Lopez as centerpiece and 3 future first-rounders in 20s gets it done for Dwight. Not unless KGB involved
Quote:
Michael Dugat: This has to be a posturing leak, right? For this to work, Orlando would be bending over backwards to help Nets at their own expense
Quote:
Ken Berger: The Brooklyn scenario isn't imminent, and it isn't the only one Orlando is working on, sources say
Quote:
Ryan Wolstat: If I get offered Al Horford and Jeff Teague plus picks, I take that and run. Waaaay better than what Nets can offer
Quote:
Ken Berger: Orlando GM Rob Hennigan also trying to engage the Hawks, Rockets, Lakers and possibly Mavs in Howard talks. Full-court press

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #4048
CapitanObvious

If Dwight somehow end up in Dallas. Will there be cap room for Deron?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #4049
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

You know I believe the mavs would be one of 3 teams that could win a title next year with D12. With Deron I think we're the fun to watch 50 win teams that loses in the second round.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #4050
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I saw where Broussard corrected his tweet to show that it would involve 2013, 2015, 2017. Did I miss the CBA suddenly changing the rules to allow you to trade 1st rounders two years in a row or does Broussard still not know what he's talking about?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #4051
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanObvious View Post
No, because there's no way they trade for Dwight without also taking back Hedo or some other contractes the Magic want to unload.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #4052
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitanObvious View Post
If Dwight came to Dallas, it would be through a trade that gives up about the same cap space that we'd be getting back - so yes, there should be room for Deron, depending on how everything went down (assuming it goes down...)

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #4053
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I saw where Broussard corrected his tweet to show that it would involve 2013, 2015, 2017. Did I miss the CBA suddenly changing the rules to allow you to trade 1st rounders two years in a row or does Broussard still not know what he's talking about?
That rule only applies to future picks. The fact that the Nets traded their 2012 pick doesn't affect anything at this point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #4054
CapitanObvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If Dwight came to Dallas, it would be through a trade that gives up about the same cap space that we'd be getting back - so yes, there should be room for Deron, depending on how everything went down (assuming it goes down...)
Thanks, I kinda suck with these money rules and numbers. I just go all balls crazy and cheer for the MAVS every game. (At home of course LOL)

Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #4055
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Steve Kyler ‏ @ stevekylerNBA
Hearing Dallas has been aggressive regarding Dwight Howard too... willing to give their entire draft to Orlando along with ending deals.
Does any of that really excite Orlando though? I think I'd rather take some of the hypothetical Nets deals, to be honest.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #4056
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
That rule only applies to future picks. The fact that the Nets traded their 2012 pick doesn't affect anything at this point.
Okay makes sense.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #4057
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Does any of that really excite Orlando though? I think I'd rather take some of the hypothetical Nets deals, to be honest.
No, it doesn't.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #4058
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

I truly hope Deron didnt stiff us for the Brooklyn Nets and Joe Johnson. lol.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #4059
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Good God no.. It cannot excite the magic in the least. However, they should be able to manage more than what the Nets are offering although I do like Lopez.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #4060
Underdog

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski: For Nets-Magic to progress on a Dwight Howard deal, a 3rd team needed to take Kris Humphries in a sign-and-trade, league source tells Y!
So the Nets need to find TWO teams that are willing to bend over backwards to turn Brooklyn into an unbeatable powerhouse? Good luck with all that, fellas...

Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #4061
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I feel pretty strongly that just this frenzy alone is enough to be the nail in the coffin on Deron. All this buzz is going to counter act any arguments the Mavs made yesterday about Johnson killing their ability to improve.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #4062
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want Howard in Dallas.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #4063
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lopez resigned at what he's going to cost is a negative asset. Same for humphries. They'd honestly be better of letting Howard walk for nothing then taking the nets deal.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #4064
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Lopez resigned at what he's going to cost is a negative asset. Same for humphries. They'd honestly be better of letting Howard walk for nothing then taking the nets deal.
Hump has to end up somewhere else, according to Woj. I still agree that Lopez on a huge 4 year deal is stupid.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #4065
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hump has to end up somewhere else, according to Woj. I still agree that Lopez on a huge 4 year deal is stupid.
I just don't see it happening. If you make that trade you are guaranteeing that those picks are terrible picks. Deron Jj Wallace and Lopez is a decent but not special core. Add Howard to that mix though and it's among the best teams in basketball though. I still don't see how this trade works under the salary cap though.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #4066
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
I just don't see it happening. If you make that trade you are guaranteeing that those picks are terrible picks. Deron Jj Wallace and Lopez is a decent but not special core. Add Howard to that mix though and it's among the best teams in basketball though. I still don't see how this trade works under the salary cap though.
The salary cap doesn't have anything to do with it. Would be an over cap deal. They have to match salaries.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #4067
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Oh goodie, more optimism this morning...not. Well the good news is that the NBA is ridiculously unpredictable so I guess we'll see...

If we got Dwight and not Deron, then I'd be fine with that. If both of them go to Brooklyn though...anything but that.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #4068
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #4069
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting..
Even if the Nets had Howard, Johnson, and Williams, I don't think the team is good enough late in the 4th quarter of games to win a title. As Mavs fans, we know how important it is to have a go to guy or two late in games. Howard isn't that guy in my opinion.

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-03-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #4070
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

This is gonna be good... Total chaos or jubilation.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #4071
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Even Hollinger thinks this Howard to Brooklyn story is more smoke than fire.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #4072
Underdog

If Orlando is faced with losing Howard anyway, wouldn't a straight-up trade for Andrew Bynum still be the best offer on the table?

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #4073
Underdog

Quote:
Bill Simmons: I'm stunned that Orlando isn't crazy about trading the league's 3rd best player for 3 non All-Stars and 3 crappy picks

Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #4074
Underdog

Quote:
Mike Fisher: details: #Mavs DO NOT have permission to talk directly w Dwight. Dallas (and others) talking to Orl, not to player
Well, at least we're talking to the decision-makers in this process...

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #4075
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Interesting..
Even if the Nets had Howard, Johnson, and Williams, I don't think the team is good enough late in the 4th quarter of games to win a title. As Mavs fans, we know how important it is to have a go to guy or two late in games. Howard isn't that guy in my opinion.
Wouldn't Williams be the guy?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #4076
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
That's one-less "the guy" than he'd have in Dallas...

Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #4077
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

I am actually more stunned that few teams choose the OKC approach but instead try to save face by accepting crappy players and picks.

If you're Orlando, wouldn't it be best to just blow it up and get maybe one or two picks that you know will be good. Why accept players that will keep you mediocre but compromise your cap structure anyway?

I'd rather be sure to have 4-5 top 10 picks in the next 3 years than fill my team with the Kris Humphries of the world.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #4078
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am actually more stunned that few teams choose the OKC approach but instead try to save face by accepting crappy players and picks.

If you're Orlando, wouldn't it be best to just blow it up and get maybe one or two picks that you know will be good. Why accept players that will keep you mediocre but compromise your cap structure anyway?

I'd rather be sure to have 4-5 top 10 picks in the next 3 years than fill my team with the Kris Humphries of the world.
Because OKC got really lucky in what they did. They drafted Durant, but STILL sucked. Then they got Westbrook. But still sucked. Then they got Ibaka and still sucked. Then they got Harden.

They sucked for about 5 years straight. Most teams that draft a player like Durant's caliber don't immediately get another lottery pick for awhile. (See the Cavs for instance....)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #4079
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
He'd have to be.. but, I'd prefer that guy not be the point guard. I'd prefer the PG have another really good option. Dwight Howard is a beast, but he doesn't do all that much for me late in games. Joe Johnson's a nice player that's probably going to get to the Free Throw line less and less.. It's not like he gets there alot now as it is... So, he's going to be a spot up jump shooter? You've got Deron breaking down the defenses and dishing to a spot up jump shooter (which is important to have).. or dishing to Howard only to see him get hacked and miss free throws down the stretch? Who's the guy that consistently kills you late in games? Obviously no one does it night in and night out, but there are no Dirk's on that team.. no Bryant's.. No Durant's.. no Wade's or LeBron's (God I hate to say that). It's would be a very nice team that would get beaten late in games as the playoffs progressed.

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-03-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #4080
endrity
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Because OKC got really lucky in what they did. They drafted Durant, but STILL sucked. Then they got Westbrook. But still sucked. Then they got Ibaka and still sucked. Then they got Harden.

They sucked for about 5 years straight. Most teams that draft a player like Durant's caliber don't immediately get another lottery pick for awhile. (See the Cavs for instance....)
Wasn't Ibaka part of the Westrbook draft? So that's three years of sucking. Actually two really, bottomed out to take Durant and then with him there were two more really bad years. After that they took off.

The point is though that most teams will suck for a bit even if they acquire that kind of talent. Cleveland didn't make the playoffs in a crappy East even with LeBron for two years straight. And they had much more veteran talent in their team.

But it was arguably the presence of that veteran talent that prohibited them from ever becoming great. After LeBron they never had another top pick because that veteran talent was good enough to keep them mediocre as LeBron was still growing, but never more than that to truly help him contend.

Unless you are getting 1997 Duncan (and who stays 4 years in school anymore really?) even the best talent will struggle for a couple of years

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight