Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-06-2004, 11:14 PM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default RUMOR: Sammy Sosa may be heading back to the Rangers!!

Just heard on Fox 4 Sports that the Cubs and Rangers are in possible trade talks that have Sammy Sosa coming to the Rangers
in exchange for Alfonso Soriano and Chan Ho Park.

what do you think?

I say do it if we can dump the Ho contract...
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #2
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:RUMOR: Sammy Sosa may be heading back to the Rangers!!

I heard about this, but really thought it was just a rumor. Are there actual talks? I'm not really understanding why the Cubs would go for this. I mean, I know they're not exactly thrilled w/Sammy right now, but Chan Ho's got 2 years left on that deal. And Sori's due for arbitration, isn't he?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:39 AM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: RUMOR: Sammy Sosa may be heading back to the Rangers!!

Sammy aint exactly a "Buck Guy".....but to get rid of the ho's dough....I might.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:09 AM   #4
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Hell no, I want a pitcher for Soriano.

So we give up Park's 26 mill and take on a underperforming, old Sosa for 37 mill over the next 2 years? NO thanks.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:16 AM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

We'd taken that AND we'd have to sign a shortstop or 2B depending on which MYoung wants. The kinds of names being thrown around are not cheap ones. I just don't see the Sosa thing happening.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:52 AM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Dear God.... please keep Hart and whoever runs the Cubs off of crack long enough to realize that crack does horrible things to baseball teams.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sammy Sosa is my least favorite player in the major leagues. Please...please don't do this to me. I'm just now getting happy with the local teams' rosters. The Mavs just got rid of Walker and Najera. Please, don't screw this up for me.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Can we continue the move towards blue-collar guys? Sosa would be a step back into the ARod era...We need someone who hasn't been coddled by the media...
Old 10-07-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fah Q
Hell no, I want a pitcher for Soriano.

So we give up Park's 26 mill and take on a underperforming, old Sosa for 37 mill over the next 2 years? NO thanks.
I was unaware that Sammy was due to make 37mil.....I would now say "no" as well.

But I would love to have Murphy pissed for a while....someone should start working on that.....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 10-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

We wouldnt have to sign anyone to replace Soriano...Ian Kinsler looks like hes gonna be a hell of a player
Old 10-07-2004, 04:45 PM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Wow. Sosa would be a serious, serious, serious bat in the middle of the lineup. That deal looks pretty darned sweet on paper. Soriano is a good player, but he's certainly no Sammy Sosa. Sammy may be old, but this is the American League. I be he'll be posting 50 home run seasons for another seven to ten years!

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:28 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

as a cubs fan, i say... you can have sammy.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:30 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much all of his major stats have gone down over the past 4 years. He's down to about a 330 OBP and about a 250 BA. He's a sorry guy and a borderline clubhouse cancer. No thanks.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't he a wife beater also? I don't want that infecting the youth on this team.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:24 AM   #15
sike
The Preacha

he got fined 87k for leaving the game early.....that is one game check. I hate him even more now.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:47 PM   #16
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

The only way I am in on this one, is if they throw in some minor league pitching, and a draft pick or two.

I think Sosa is on his way down; but as a DH, at Ameriquest, with Rudy as his hitting instructor....he would definately be that power bat, with an improved average, IMO.

Chan Ho, Sori for Sosa, and two minor league pitchers (of the Rangers choice), and a draft pick.......I'd do that one.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #17
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

This is where the rumor started from......Wednesday Morning's Chicago Tribune.

Rangers or Royals might want Sosa

October 6, 2004

Even Sammy Sosa can wear out his welcome. But can the Cubs find a face-saving way to make him disappear before the conclusion of 2005, when they can end their contract with him?

It's debatable whether they can find a taker, but the early nibbles suggest this will be a very interesting winter. With many bad contracts in the marketplace, it is possible someone will commit $39.5 million over the next two years to Sosa.

The Texas Rangers and, surprise, Kansas City Royals, are two of the leading options for possible Sosa deals, with the Texas scenario containing an intriguing element. That's the link between pitcher Chan Ho Park, who would be offered to the Cubs, and Carlos Beltran, the switch-hitting All-Star who is believed to head Jim Hendry's off-season wish list.

It's something of a surprise that there is a market for Sosa, whose production no longer matches his salary. He was described as an "immovable object" in Sunday's Tribune because of his contract. But it wasn't known then that he was on the verge of forcing his way out of town, bolting Wrigley Field in the second inning of the season finale and then barbecuing manager Dusty Baker in an interview.

This will make it easier for the Cubs to deal him, as they won't have to worry as much about the backlash from their fans. It will be as if Sosa has not only made himself the official 2004 scapegoat but also traded himself.

The initial Sosa trade talk centered on the New York Mets, with no tie more substantial than his relationship to new general manager Omar Minaya, who was one of the scouts responsible for signing him. But the two franchises that seem to be the best fit for Sosa are in the American League, where he could split his time between designated hitter and the outfield.

In any potential Sosa trade, the Cubs are going to have to take back someone else's overpriced player. Outsiders always considered Sosa overvalued—remember the lack of interest when the Cubs shopped him in 2000?—and he has damaged his reputation badly with his antics and his declining production the last two years.

Given the Wal-Mart financing of the Royals, Kansas City seems a highly unlikely destination for Sosa. But Royals general manager Allard Baird says he's "not dismissing anything at this point," and sources indicate that includes a Sosa deal in which the Cubs take first baseman Mike Sweeney, who they could spin elsewhere if they didn't want to trade their own first baseman, Derrek Lee.

Outfield production is the Royals' top off-season priority, and they need a box-office attraction. A move to Kansas City would reunite Sosa with hitting coach Jeff Pentland and give him his first chance to play for a manager from the Dominican Republic, Tony Pena.

Sweeney, who has been limited to an average of 113 games a year the last three seasons, would receive a raise to $12.5 million for three years if he's traded. That's a lot to swallow, but he's a career .305 hitter who walks as often as he strikes out.

Texas almost certainly would swap Park for Sosa in a deal that could be expanded to include Alfonso Soriano and might increase the chance of the Cubs signing Beltran.

Park is three years into a five-year, $65 million deal and so far has given Texas 13 victories and 46 starts. He showed promise at times last year, when he had a 5.79 ERA in 14 starts, and would benefit from a return to the National League. If he is not effective enough to be a fifth starter, he could be released.

Soriano, an all-or-nothing leadoff man whom the Rangers are trying to deal because he earned $5.4 million last season and is eligible for arbitration, could be packaged with Park. Providing a landing place for Park wouldn't hurt the Cubs' position with agent Scott Boras, who represents both Beltran and Park.

Any talks between the Cubs and Mets would involve either outfielder Cliff Floyd, who is owed $6.5 million in each of the next two years, or catcher Mike Piazza, who will be eligible for free agency after making $15 million in 2005.

Floyd, 31, hit .260 with 18 homers last year. Unlike Soriano or Sweeney, he is a left-handed hitter who would balance the lineup. He's also a Chicago product.

With Larry Walker gone, Colorado could get into the bidding. The Rockies probably would try to interest the Cubs in center fielder Preston Wilson and left-hander Denny Neagle, both of whom are coming off injuries. Neagle had surgery in June but is expected to recover by spring training.

He's owed $19 million for 2005 and the buyout of an '06 option, and is covered by insurance. Wilson has one year left at $12.5 million.

The Cubs will have many moving parts in their off-season planning.

They can free $7.5 million by not exercising a contract option that would raise Moises Alou's salary to $11.5 million. If they do not re-sign shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, they will open up a spot where they were paying Alex Gonzalez $5.5 million this season. They also free up a $6 million slot (and get two high draft choices) if they let Matt Clement leave.

Email: PRogers@tribune.com
Old 10-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #18
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Personally, I dont like the deal. The Rangers are a young, up and coming team, like the current Angels once were. Why destroy that with a player who's best years are far behind him and has a "me first" attitude that could destroy the good chemistry that exsists in this clubhouse.

I think the Rangers and owner Tom Hicks are looking at this from a business standpoint.

Sosa might not bring wins. But he brings "star power,"......that power that lures fans to the ballpark, causes merchandise sales to rise, etc....

This year, the Rangers fielded a penant contender with no star power. In September, when you figure the stands would be packed for the playoff push, there was instead wide open empty spaces of green seats all throught the Ballpark.

Tom Hicks has said he wouldnt spend so lavishly like he has done in the past. Instead he intends on spending just enough to where he feels the club will trun profit this season. I.E..... if attendance figures and season ticket packages rise, so will the team payroll cost.

If Sosa is traded to Texas, I believe it will be because Hicks believes Sosa will bring in more ticket sales....
Old 10-08-2004, 11:30 PM   #19
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
he got fined 87k for leaving the game early.....that is one game check. I hate him even more now.
A-ROD used to make that in two at bats.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:29 AM   #20
mercury_rev

mercury_rev will become famous soon enough

Sosa's career numbers look nice on paper. He sure can hit some pretty home runs from time to time. But as a longtime Rangers AND Cubs fan, I can't stand his style, his strikeouts, and his A-Rod-esque aura. He's not a team player.

No way, especially if it means losing Soriano.

I'd prefer 12-15 mediocre Chan Ho outings in '05 to the sketchy milieu of a Sosa-dominated clubhouse.
mercury_rev is offline   Reply With Quote