Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #441
QSA

QSA will become famous soon enough

I love OJ Mayo. But seriously...stop overrating him lilojmayo and tron. lilojmayo, you go around to all of these different sports message boards and just overrate the guy to the point other people just wish the guy would fail in order to shut you up. that's not a personal attack; I'm just sayin...

He doesn't do anything extremely well. His shooting is very inconsistent. I think he will be a better player in Dallas than he was in Memphis, but he is not and probably never will be all-star caliber. I've come to accept that and I'm a fan of his as well.
QSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #442
Simple_Like_That

Simple_Like_That is infamous around these parts

I actually believe OJ can have a breakout season if he see a lot of time in the court. I believe that if he play both guards positions he will be a better player in the longterm. Give OJ 32 min night in and night out and I believe he will produce around the 20-5-5 line.

A guard rotation like that would bring the best of OJ...

PG
Collison 30 min.
OJ 6-12 min.
West 12-6 min.

SG
OJ 26-20 min.
D Jones 16-20 min.
V Carter 6-8 min.
Simple_Like_That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #443
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_Like_That View Post
Give OJ 32 min night in and night out and I believe he will produce around the 20-5-5 line.
If he can do that, "Give that man his money".

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #444
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

20pts on 30 shots, lol....

Last edited by markus1234; 08-20-2012 at 10:23 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #445
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mayo will be golden if he can average around 15 PPG at a reasonable shooting percentage...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #446
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
20pts on 30 shots, lol....
Man you are funny...
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #447
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Mayo will be golden if he can average around 15 PPG at a reasonable shooting percentage...
He's already produced better than that before. I'm hoping for more.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 08-20-2012 at 05:29 PM.
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #448
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

1st of all i am hoping for good FG% and solid defense. Simply a combination of Jet and West would be nice.

20ppg is nothing special, ask Marbury, Arenas or Stackhouse. What we need is "quality",... good shot selection, many FT-A and things like that.

Let's hope Mayo+Collison will be a positive surprise for us.

Last edited by markus1234; 08-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #449
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
He's already produced better than that before. I'm hoping for more.
But he hasn't done it in the last 2 years, all while averaging 40-41% shooting... If he could put up 15+ PPG on ~45% shooting, then he'd at least be replacing JET's production over the past few years (his 3P production is already in the right place). That seems like a good starting point to me.

And if we were fortunate enough to get better production out of him than what he showed during his first two years in the league, then we'd likely be talking about a fringe All-Star... Which I'd love to see, but we should probably temper our expectations for now... Baby steps - don't put too much pressure on the guy.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #450
tron#1

tron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nicetron#1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSA View Post
I love OJ Mayo. But seriously...stop overrating him lilojmayo and tron. lilojmayo, you go around to all of these different sports message boards and just overrate the guy to the point other people just wish the guy would fail in order to shut you up. that's not a personal attack; I'm just sayin...

He doesn't do anything extremely well. His shooting is very inconsistent. I think he will be a better player in Dallas than he was in Memphis, but he is not and probably never will be all-star caliber. I've come to accept that and I'm a fan of his as well.
First let me apologize this comment is going to make it sound like im arrogant and a know it all.... which im not. Ive watched the majority of games played by oj mayo since senior year of high school. to say he doesnt do anything extremely well is such an understatement. Ive not overrate him even a little bit. now if i said next year mayo will lead the league in scoring, make his first all star appearence and be in the running for mvp that is overrating what will happen. oj mayo isnt a franchise put the whole team on my back type of player... but despite what many people believe after seeing him play two sub-par years off memphis bench he "IS" a starting 2 guard in this league for years to come. im talking a true shooting guard he is a system player. he plays very well with others and is very unselfish. look at him in college where he only averaged 21 ppg but got others involved when he could have(been like most other one and dones trying to up their draft stock) and shoot as many times as possible and average 30 plus a game. his ft percentage is very good, he has playmaking instincts, shoots very well from the 3 and is a little bit better than average defender. these things i dont say as a blind fan only as someone who has seen it game after game. has he had bad streches in his career YES. but they werent as frequent as a starter. plain an simple put him in the starting lineup with this squad and special things can happen.

Last edited by tron#1; 08-20-2012 at 11:25 PM.
tron#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #451
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this was really interesting - from Cuban, why Finley pushed for OJ:

Quote:
You know, we all were O.J. Mayo fans, but [Mavs great Michael Finley] said it best. He was like, ‘He’s the one guy … that teams are gonna have to pay attention to no matter what.’ You can’t just let him go, because he can impact the game in a variety of different ways. Whereas you might have another guy that has better stats or does this or that better, but you can pretty well game plan for him and you don’t have to worry about him at the end of a game. O.J., you know, if you stay on Dirk, Dirk’s gonna find O.J. and you’ve gotta worry about him at the end of the game. And he can score in so many different ways and impact the game in so many different ways, and he’s 24 years old.
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/in...-mavs-x-factor

Definitely nice to have a guy that teams have to gameplan for - a huge void left by Terry's departure.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #452
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Thought this was really interesting - from Cuban, why Finley pushed for OJ:

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/in...-mavs-x-factor

Definitely nice to have a guy that teams have to gameplan for - a huge void left by Terry's departure.
Always great to have a veteran who's gone through the wars giving you advice. Cuban has a great viewpoint business wise, Nelson experience from scouting and now Finley experience from actually being there. Nice triumvarate of heads.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #453
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Always great to have a veteran who's gone through the wars giving you advice. Cuban has a great viewpoint business wise, Nelson experience from scouting and now Finley experience from actually being there. Nice triumvarate of heads.
For sure. Wonder if a guy like Jet, Kidd, Marion, maybe even Stack, would jump into that role in the future for this team.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #454
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
For sure. Wonder if a guy like Jet, Kidd, Marion, maybe even Stack, would jump into that role in the future for this team.
I can't see Marion in a personnel role, more business side, mugging for shots, representing the team, STH promotions. I can see Jet working with the players as well as the business side, maybe on TV as well. He's already wanting to make Dallas his offseason and retirement home. Kidd I don't think he'll see the time of day with Cuban, trust is gone, Kidd citing, though I don't believe him, being close to his kids was a factor in his decision to sign with the Knicks.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #455
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

[QUOTE=Kidd Karma;1288592]I can't see Marion in a personnel role

yeah Marion is too cool for this job

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #456
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Marion for equipment manager....specialized on the players socks
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #457
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

what about dirk for mayor?

pass the rock to the german moses
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #458
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

With Fin and Eddie back, I started to miss Nash the other day

and then I realized he's wearing gold and purple this year and he will not be missed until he retires.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-29-2012 at 09:58 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #459
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljasonandjimmy View Post
what about dirk for mayor?
Dirk for player/owner/gm/coach of the Mavs and President of the Republic of Texas.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #460
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
With Fin and Eddie back, I started to miss Nash the other day

and then I realized he's wearing gold and purple this year and he will not be missed until he retires.
Our bad, but yeah. Fin in Silver and Black.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #461
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Dirk for player/owner/gm/coach of the Mavs and President of the Republic of Texas.
you forgot gm of nba and wnba just for the hell of it.

pass the rock to the german moses
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #462
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Marion for equipment manager....specialized on the players socks
Shooting coach or bust. Next!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #463
nowhereman
Diamond Member

From SI - players on notice for next season (http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...?sct=nba_wr_a1)

Quote:
• O.J. Mayo, Dallas Mavericks. The Mavs think Mayo can be a star even though he’s nearly 25 with a résumé that clearly screams “nice role player.” And that’s fine! The league needs nice role players, and in Memphis Mayo showed a willingness to develop the non-glamor parts of his game — defense on and off the ball, running around screens for catch-and-shoot chances, etc. That stuff works in any context, and in Dallas, with Darren Collison and an army of combo guards, Mayo figures to get minutes and a chance to run some pick-and-rolls with Dirk Nowitzki. Ask J.J. Barea how much money Dirk can earn a productive pick-and-roll partner. Mayo has a $4.2 million player option for 2013-14, and though Dallas is saying all the right things about wanting to keep him, Mayo is surely hoping for a bigger payday. Would Dallas give him one in the event of an opt-out, squeezing its already tighter-than-perceived cap sheet for next summer?

Quote:
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #464
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mavsfastbreak.com/2012/09...zki-mavericks/
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #465
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly a lot of build up for Mr. Mayo. Hope he can live up to it...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #466
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Nice article!

How can you not like what O.J. is putting down thus far. SAying the right things, being respectful of everything, showing up early. I root for his success.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #467
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Make or break season for Mayo

Nice role player vs 2nd option/lower allstar level
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #468
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Just another reason why I love Chauncey Billups...ugh, too bad he was never a Maverick (course, we could have gotten him for Chandler last season)...

Quote:
Chauncey Billups assisted on O.J. Mayo signing

DALLAS -- The plan to have Jason Kidd help recruit Deron Williams to Dallas didn’t quite work out for the Mavs.

But the Mavs did get an assist from an old point guard during the free-agency process. It just wasn’t one that’s ever worn a Mavs uniform.

O.J. Mayo reached out to Chauncey Billups, one of his favorite players in the league, while researching potential destinations this summer. Billups strongly recommended that Mayo play for Rick Carlisle, who played a significant role in Billups achieving his potential.

“He said (Carlisle) is a great coach for me to help expand my game,” Mayo said.

Billups, like Mayo now, was a No. 3 overall pick in his mid-20s who hadn’t lived up high-lottery expectations when he signed with the Carlisle-coached Pistons in the summer of 2002. Detroit was Billups’ fifth NBA team, and while he showed promise as a part-time starter the previous season in Minnesota, he had yet to prove he could be a premier point guard.

Carlisle gave Billups that opportunity in 2002-03, when he started for a 50-win team that advanced to the conference finals. That was the only seasons Carlisle coached Billups, but Billups gives Carlisle credit for helping him become a five-time All-Star and two-time NBA champion who is now known as Mr. Big Shot.

Mayo hasn’t bounced around the league, having spent his entire four-year career with the Memphis Grizzlies, but he has a lot of similarities to the 2002 version of Billups. Mayo is a No. 3 overall pick whose career hasn’t progressed as anticipated.

Billups’ advice to Mayo: Let Carlisle coach you.

That’s exactly what Mayo has done. He arrived in Dallas a month ago specifically so he could work with Carlisle.

Mayo usually works on one specific weakness each summer. He’s worked on whatever Carlisle wanted recently.

“My whole thing is to give my game to Coach and let him help me get better in ways I can help the team,” Mayo said.

That’s included refining something Mayo considered one of his biggest strengths: shooting the ball.

They’ve worked on keeping the ball high and staying ready to shoot, especially when Mayo gets fatigued. Carlisle used Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton -- a couple of elite shooters he’s coached -- as examples and pointed out Mayo’s flaws while reviewing film of Grizzlies games.

“It was different, because I had never worked on it,” Mayo said. “It was actually a little irritating because I was comfortable with my shot, but he’s helped it a lot. Through workouts, it’s more efficient, more consistent. He’s just a great coach.”

Just like Billups told Mayo.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...j-mayo-signing

Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #469
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Rick Carlisle
+1 for Mayo being able to put his ego aside and do what the coach says
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #470
Underdog

Wait, doesn't Rick Carlisle "hate" young players?

Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #471
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Just another reason why I love Chauncey Billups...ugh, too bad he was never a Maverick (course, we could have gotten him for Chandler last season)...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver...j-mayo-signing
Best mavs item I've seen in well over a month. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #472
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
two-time NBA champion
wat

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #473
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting to talk to Mayo a few times on and off the record since he got into Dallas, he's definitely giving off the vibe of being a really good dude. He's thoughtful with all of the answers that he gives and he's very professional. Everything that I've heard about it from outside sources is that he is on the up and up with being a guy with good character, just with some slip ups along the way. I've really been blown away with the amount of respect and admiration he's thrown in the direction of Dirk. It's nice to see younger guys, even if they've had a couple of laps of experience around the league, showing that kind of respect to 'Big D' as he called him.

In addition to him, the rest of the new guys have been very nice and approachable. One of the coolest things I took away from the presser on Monday was after it was all done, Darren came up to all of the media members that he could recognize and shook their hand and thanked them. That was beyond classy.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #474
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Getting to talk to Mayo a few times on and off the record since he got into Dallas, he's definitely giving off the vibe of being a really good dude. He's thoughtful with all of the answers that he gives and he's very professional. Everything that I've heard about it from outside sources is that he is on the up and up with being a guy with good character, just with some slip ups along the way. I've really been blown away with the amount of respect and admiration he's thrown in the direction of Dirk. It's nice to see younger guys, even if they've had a couple of laps of experience around the league, showing that kind of respect to 'Big D' as he called him.

In addition to him, the rest of the new guys have been very nice and approachable. One of the coolest things I took away from the presser on Monday was after it was all done, Darren came up to all of the media members that he could recognize and shook their hand and thanked them. That was beyond classy.
This is exactly why Mavs fans should not give a crap what the national media thinks. This team has earned respect from players and the league because success talks and bs walks. The Mavs won a ring with selfless players putting their egos in the back seat and getting down to work. Sounds like Collison and Mayo are doing just that.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #475
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Wait, doesn't Rick Carlisle "hate" young players?
Define young.....we'll see how much time Bernard James gets. I think rookies and 2nd year players are still trying to find their way around the arena, while the retreads 3-4-5 years in the league, have seen it all, are now willing to be molded, especially like a Billups and now a Mayo. Hopefully Mayo develops his game and can put up the kind of numbers he was destined for since he was in Junior High.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #476
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Define young.....we'll see how much time Bernard James gets. I think rookies and 2nd year players are still trying to find their way around the arena, while the retreads 3-4-5 years in the league, have seen it all, are now willing to be molded, especially like a Billups and now a Mayo. Hopefully Mayo develops his game and can put up the kind of numbers he was destined for since he was in Junior High.
You want me to define "young"? Okay, Mavs fans were bitching about Carlisle "not liking young players" whenever he didn't give Roddy (a third year player) extended playtime last season - Mayo has only been in the league one year longer... In this case, it would seem that the definition of "young" is fairly dependent on how much a fan can use age as an excuse for their pet player not getting any love.

And most rookies/second-year players don't usually earn a whole lot of burn on perennial playoff contenders because winning is a priority and those guys tend to suck compared to the rest of their teammates... Carlisle's reluctance to throw young players into the game probably has a helluva lot more to do with their overall talent level than the year they were born - that's why guys like Barea/Wright/Mahinmi get burn (sometimes as starters) while guys like Roddy/DoJo ride the pine.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #477
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I agree in part. I certainly don't think Carlisle "hates" young players. It's also absolutely true that young players are frequently objectively worse than their older teammates.

But I still believe that Carlisle has a comfort zone with older veterans, and in the heat of battle, that's what he's inclined to go to, even when the older guy isn't necessarily the best guy (although many times, he certainly is). I can't even blame him for that, but I don't think it's imagined in the slightest.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 09-14-2012 at 04:40 PM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #478
markus1234
Platinum Member

Now Rick has no choice. Young backcourt here we come.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #479
BGMaverick9
Guru

Roddy and Mayo, or Collison for that matter, are both young, but they are radically different in their experience factor. That's just not taking the experience they've gained in their service time with the league, it's the experience ballin' before they got to the league. That's something that needs to be taken into account as well.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #480
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
But I still believe that Carlisle has a comfort zone with older veterans, and in the heat of battle, that's what he's inclined to go to, even when the older guy isn't necessarily the best guy (although many times, he certainly is).
So how does that differentiate him from any other coach who isn't leading a team in rebuild mode? It's always easier to play the numbers when you're dealing with a known quantity...

Tags
enter the dirk bump, i refuse to enter that, i was telling not asking, ocelot_ark goin' ham, thig is over the top