Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-17-2012, 12:06 AM   #121
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers to the "Dirk Bump"

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #122
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I don't know the story on how his game got lost in MEM, but I'm pumped to see him find it again in Big D!
I don't either, and I'd like to hear it. From what I can gather, they got Tony Allen from Boston the summer after his sophomore year and gave Allen the starting job. Why would they do that?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #123
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
The player option tempers it a tiny, tiny bit. But yeah, that's a great signing.
fickle, fickle...just be happy for a minute.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #124
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Agreed. But the crux of the argument is the fact that we haven't seen Roddy's ceiling yet. What if we have? And so what if we haven't? Is this the year? Is next year? We just don't know and that's why I choose Delonte over Roddy because he is a known commodity. I'm not saying Delonte is make it or break it, there's a reason why he'll be getting only 2.5M from the Mavericks if he elects to re-sign, I'm merely just pointing out what is known versus what is unknown.

Furthermore, I can guarantee that every guy in that locker room would choose Delonte as well.
Yeah, i dont think we're disagreeing exactly. I actually agree with a lot of what you wrote. Id like to see Delonte re-sign for all the reasons we've all enumerated. But especially because we dont entirely know what to expect from Collison i.e. can he be consistent and trusted to run the point.

Personally i think this team still needs some scoring punch and that Roddy will get first crack at 6th man/instant offense off the bench role as a 2 guard.
Delonte or not.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #125
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I don't either, and I'd like to hear it. From what I can gather, they got Tony Allen from Boston the summer after his sophomore year and gave Allen the starting job. Why would they do that?
And didn't he and Allen get into a fight on a team bus or plane?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 07-17-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #126
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And didn't he and Allen get into a fight on a team bus or plane?
Yes and he missed the next game (his only game not including the 10game suspension during his 4-year career) due to "bronchitis."

Contact Me
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #127
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
No sh*t!?! What is he thinkin'? He's the best 2 guard since Ro!
Should be better than Greg Buckner
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #128
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Should be better than Greg Buckner
I've got him slightly ahead of Tony Dumas...though not as good a leaper.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #129
lilojmayo

lilojmayo is a jewel in the roughlilojmayo is a jewel in the roughlilojmayo is a jewel in the rough

Welcome Juice Mayo to Mavericks Nation.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #130
alby
Guru

If you all can't tell, I'm really excited about this move because A) I feel like we got a potential star on the cheap and B) we still keep flexibility.

Even with all his faults, he still averaged 15+ PPG for his career, while coming off the bench in Memphis. He is only 24 years old, and he's 6' 4" -- no more of the "fundamentally flawed" logic that we had with Jason Terry.

Contact Me
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #131
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes and he missed the next game (his only game not including the 10game suspension during his 4-year career) due to "bronchitis."
Sounds like Allen whipped that ass!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #132
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo View Post
Welcome Juice Mayo to Mavericks Nation.
This just popped into my head:http://www.vervesplash.net/uploads/4...85115_orig.jpg

Last edited by sike; 07-17-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #133
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Starting to look like a bunch of castoffs, players with incentives to boost their value, and a bunch of young guys. Dirk and RC will have to lead like never before.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #134
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Starting to look like a bunch of castoffs, players with incentives to boost their value, and a bunch of young guys. Dirk and RC will have to lead like never before.
The absence of JKidd's quite leadership might be sorely missed.

I wonder if Champion Dirk is a little more vocal with all these young pups than pre 2011 Dirk?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #135
sike
The Preacha

Mayo had a pretty miserable offensive year last year...

The kid needs a bounce back in the worst way.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #136
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat View Post
i guess dude may want to keep his season ticket after all...
Yea...it might be fun..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #137
alby
Guru

Does this team kind of remind anyone of the 2005/2006 Mavericks?

Two young guards, Collison (Devin) and Mayo (JET) - quick, offensive firepower, defensive passing lanes.
Defensive minded perimeter player, Jones (Griffin) - guards the opposing team's best player
Intangibles wing player, Marion (Howard) - Shawn is older obviously but understand his role better than Josh ever did
All world player, Dirk (Dirk) - Tall baller from the G
F em type player, West (Stackhouse) - Every team needs one of these
Big bodies, Kaman and Brand (Dampier and Diop) - Advantage 2012/2013

Not saying this team will do the same, but that 05/06 version made the NBA Finals.

Contact Me
Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #138
sike
The Preacha

Encouraging note: JET never averaged 44% from the field before playing with Dirk.

43.6% was he best shooting year in his 5 yers in ATL before hitting Dallas.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #139
sike
The Preacha

Wink

Quote:

Not saying this team will do the same...
Whew...for a second there I thought you were saying this year's Mavs would rip out my sports heart and crush it repeatedly.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #140
Dnowit41

Dnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to all

Love this move. Juice taking Terry's role

A clear night in big D. Thousands of fans ready...anxiously awaiting his arrival.
The signal high in the Dallas sky calls for one person, and one person alone.........#41
Dnowit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #141
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Definitely a danger. Flexibility like this can be a double-edged sword. If the season starts to go south, it can be like herding cats with everybody playing for his own next contract.

Not much of a danger with a vet like Brand who's got his money made, or even an older player like Kaman, who has had a chance to earn some money, and seems to understand buying into team goals.

But Mayo might be a bit of a wild card in this regard, given his youth, and if he feels like he has to 'audtiion' for a payday. His trajectory in Memphis should be more of a question mark, I'd think. A younger, more athletic Vernon Maxwell, maybe? Guess you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Quote:
Gotta disagree here. I think Dampier and Diop were overachievers, but they were the best big-man tandem since the Mavs had Donadlson and Tarpley. Whatever his other faults were, Avery made Diop/Dampier work far better than anyone had a right to expect them to, at least in 05-06. Kaman and Brand may be more productively offensively, but I'd be skeptical about them defensively until they prove different.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 07-17-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #142
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:

Two young guards, Collison (Devin) and Mayo (JET) - quick, offensive firepower, defensive passing lanes.
Defensive minded perimeter player, Jones (Griffin) - guards the opposing team's best player
Intangibles wing player, Marion (Howard) - Shawn is older obviously but understand his role better than Josh ever did
All world player, Dirk (Dirk) - Tall baller from the G
F em type player, West (Stackhouse) - Every team needs one of these

Not saying this team will do the same, but that 05/06 version made the NBA Finals.
Good thinking. Of course, West is not in the fold yet. And it remains to be seen whether Mayo can give what Terry gave. But on the whole...yeah. And not very surprising, either...it's a good way to make up a basketball team.

For the record, I'll take Marion wayyy over Howard. I was never sure what it was that Howard was supposed to be bringing to this team.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 AM   #143
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr View Post
Gotta disagree here. I think Dampier and Diop were overachievers, but they were the best big-man tandem since the Mavs had Donadlson and Tarpley. Whatever his other faults were, Avery made Diop/Dampier work far better than anyone had a right to expect them to, at least in 05-06. Kaman and Brand may be more productively offensively, but I'd be skeptical about them defensively until they prove different.
But as inept as Diop/Damp were offensively...I'd think its safe to suggest that Kaman and Brand will take the better of it most nights. (When both sides of the floor are considered.)

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #144
MrScottMcKenzie

MrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the roughMrScottMcKenzie is a jewel in the rough

Over the moon with the addition of Mayo - Welcome to the D, OJ!
MrScottMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #145
chumdawg
Guru

Been watching some highlight reels. Man, I am FIRED UP about this kid. I'm buying a 10-game package. This team is going to be fun to watch.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #146
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC775zz2DNE
Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #147
DallasMavs412004

DallasMavs412004 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman View Post
Maybe we give up Dojo and Roddy in a 3 way trade with Boston/toronto

Calderon/Collison/West/Cunningham
Mayo/Dahntay/Carter/Cunningham
Marion/Crowder/Dahntay
Dirk/Brand/Wright
Kaman/Brand/James/Wright

That is a team that contends for the final IMO
Would you then consider trying to trade for Iguodala even if it costed Marion?
DallasMavs412004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #148
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
But as inept as Diop/Damp were offensively...I'd think its safe to suggest that Kaman and Brand will take the better of it most nights. (When both sides of the floor are considered.)
I am just happy that we won't see a brick-handed Mavs center next season.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #149
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up7o44sywGA

This guy can ball.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #150
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Mayo struggled in Memphis as a pick n roll ballhandler, he is much better off the ball.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #151
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMavs412004 View Post
Would you then consider trying to trade for Iguodala even if it costed Marion?
I love Iggy but he would hurt our cap flexibility and isn't that clear cut superstar the mavs want. Also I don't see us getting Calderon as speculated above, more likely we fill out our roster with West with room exception.

PG: Collison/West/Roddy/Cunningham
SG: Mayo/Roddy/Vince/Cunningham
SF: Marion/Vince/Crowder
PF: Dirk/Brand/Wright
C: Kaman/Brand/Wright/James

am i missing anyone?
Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #152
OneLove22

^I'd put Dojo over Cunningham.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #153
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Lets see what he can do on Dallas before judging the guy.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #154
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

I know Lee is better but I always wanted Mayo, remember watching him in college at USC.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #155
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
^I'd put Dojo over Cunningham.
I don't see either getting minutes in the regular rotation.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #156
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

Knowing Rick, he'll probably play Mayo like he did with JET. 1st guy to come off the bench, 3pt bomber.

Collison/(West)
Jones/Mayo
Marion/Vince
Dirk/Kaman
Brand/Kaman

Only OKC and LA are heads up better than us. Will wait and see how the Spurs deal with their stars aging.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:10 AM   #157
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
This. He's a starter and he's young. Not great but not bad to start with. Add the play with Dirk effect and we should have something.
His first 2 years were fantastic, he was on his way to be Kobe-lite, a very good player, with numerous all-star appearances. Then something went wrong, but the ability is there. I think the FO sold him on us with telling him how he would start, how he could be our second scoring option, (something that probably few other team could provide to him) and with a possible good playoff run, he could revitalize his value, and sign a big, long contract with somebody, as early as next summer. And that's probably not a bad option for him, his last 2 years were terrible. He needs to put himself back together again, and hopefully he'll do that, and in style.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 07-17-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Budapest Maverick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:10 AM   #158
OneLove22

Why is LA better than us? They have no depth. OKC, SA, Dallas...
Old 07-17-2012, 04:24 AM   #159
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
Why is LA better than us? They have no depth. OKC, SA, Dallas...
Steve Nash surrounded by 3 good players? And Kobe actually respects nash? That's scary, Kobe's always been lethal coming off screens now he has someone that he trusts to playmake for him, I'm sure he will still ISO a bit too much but it will certainly lower.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #160
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis View Post
Knowing Rick, he'll probably play Mayo like he did with JET. 1st guy to come off the bench, 3pt bomber.

Collison/(West)
Jones/Mayo
Marion/Vince
Dirk/Kaman
Brand/Kaman

Only OKC and LA are heads up better than us. Will wait and see how the Spurs deal with their stars aging.
Why? Mayo has done considerably better over his career as a starter, also there is a big difference in Jet and Mayo's game, Jet is much but in pick n roll as a ballhandler.

Tags
enter the dirk bump, i refuse to enter that, i was telling not asking, ocelot_ark goin' ham, thig is over the top