Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-15-2002, 12:43 AM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

Let's play a hypothetical game. First, pick the best NBA starting five from the current decade, the 90s, and then from the 80s and previous years, what would the teams be? And if these teams dueled it out, who would come out on top?

Here's how I see it.

Oldies but Goodies
PG John Havlicek (Most famous steal of all time, even greater than Dennis Johnson's that sealed the championship for the Celtics.)
SG "Pistol" Pete Maravich (Averaged over 40 points in college. This Pistol could shoot but drew blanks when it came to winning championships.)
SF "Big O" Oscar Robertson (Jason Kidd on 'roids. Averaged a triple double in a season!)
PF Bill Russell (One of the best defensive players of all time.)
C Wilt Chamberlain (Scored 100 points in one game. Scored 100 women in one season. 'Nuff said.)

Original Dream Team
PG Earvin "Magic" Johnson (I think Isaiah was more offensively talented and Stockton the better point guard, but for all around skills, you couldn't beat Magic)
SG Michael "Air" Jordan (Won three championships, played baseball for awhile, came back and won three more.)
SF Larry "The Hick from French Lick" Bird (Best white player of all time. Although Dirk may have something to say about that in a couple years.)
PF Charles "The Round Mound of Rebound" Barkley (Could've put Malone here, but like he does on TNT, he can carry a team just by his presence.)
C Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon (I wish he were in his prime again, so that I can see him make Shaq look more like Shawn Bradley.)

New Kids on the Block
PG Allen "The Answer" Iverson (I know he's a shooting guard, but he can still play the point and is a much more dominant player than Payton or Kidd.)
SG Kobe "I need a nickname" Bryant (For those of you who still debate about Kobe vs Tracy. Just fuhgedaboudit. There's not a more clutch player in the game today.)
SF Kevin "The Kid" Garnett (Sure many said Dirk schooled him in the playoffs. But did you see the numbers he put up as well. "The Kid" whines about it, but it's true, he carries the T-puppies while Dirk can take a nap during a game and the Mavs will still win.)
PF Tim Duncan (Mister Fundamental may put you to sleep . . . maybe that's how he schools everyone in the league.)
C Shaquille "The Big Aristotle" "Diesel" O'Neal (I already voted him for the All-Century Team and we still have 98 more years to go.)

And the winner is (drum roll please) . . .

The New Kids On the Block!

I know the favorites are the Original Dream Team, but if you make everyone on the New Kids forget their egos temporarily and get everyone on the same page, they can take the Oldies or Jordan's team any day. Magic and Iverson is a draw. Kobe will play good enough to make his duel with Jordan become a draw. The difference here is the front line of Garnett, Duncan, and O'Neal that will just overpower Bird, Barkley, and Olajuwon for easy buckets.

3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2002, 07:49 AM   #2
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

nah, the oldies run away with it.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 02:21 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

gotta agree with UL on this one....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2002, 08:50 PM   #4
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

I will take the original dream team over the other two- easy. YOU have JORDAN,MAGIC and BIRD on the same court??PLEASE- lights out, its over. That combination is- well, unstoppable. NEW kids a close 2nd, oldies third......
Old 08-15-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

MAGIC vs. Iverson a DRAW???HELL NO- MAGIC going away. KOBE vs JORDAN a DRAW???WHAT R U SMOKING??? I will give you duncan, garnett and shaq in the front court, but i think MAGIC,JORDAN, and BIRD are TOO SAVY and control this game.... THAT front line would be in big time foul trouble...
Original team 108 New Kids 104
Old 08-15-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I agree with u guys. You have the best pg of all time the best shooting guard of all time and maybe arguably the best small foward of all time. Thats enough said right there. Its not much to say here because ug uys have said mostly everything I wanted to say but this is easy. Shaq is dominate but I dont think Shaq and Duncan even come close to Bird or MJ then u want to bring up CB and Hakeem? UR insane lol. Boy I sure wish we could bring back the Magics and the Hakeems and CB's back. I was watching NBATV there other day and Hakeem I dotn think he gets enough credit that he derserves. I think I put Hakeem over his career better than Shaq.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2002, 08:58 AM   #7
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Original Dream team...There are only two on the oldies that would be hard to deal with and that's Russell and the Big O

Across the board on the original dream team would own this game, without question...
Old 08-16-2002, 09:20 AM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

TheKid, are you really saying you think Hakeem would not have difficulty with Wilt Chamberlain?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote