Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-03-2002, 09:30 PM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Vote in the poll[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

We still do not know for sure if the Mavs would keep both. It may not be either or....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 09:50 PM   #3
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Doc we're not keeping both[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Nellie: 'We Won't Keep Both'
1st Domino Is Redd, Then Comes Wang
By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
The Mavs will land either Michael Redd or Wang Zhizhi, but have no interest in having both, Mavs GM Don Nelson tells DallasBasketball.com.
"We will not do both. ... There are two issues that come into play,'' Nellie says, explaning why Dallas doesn't just match the Clippers' offer for Wang.
Those issues: 1) The China mess; 2) The overriding desire for Redd.
DallasBasketball.com has learned that in the Mavs' view, their previous offer to Wang was, in a sense, more attractive than the offer sheet given to Wang because Dallas' deal included more guaranteed money. Nevertheless, nothing in Dallas will happen for Wang until whatever is destined to happen for Redd in Milwaukee occurs.
“I think it’s a longshot,’’ Mavs GM/coach Don Nelson says of the three-year, $12-million offer given Redd. “But he’s a heckuva player, a nice player, and a very good guy who would fit in well.’’
Nellie seemed surprised Tuesday when told that DallasBasketball.com had let the Redd cat out of the bag. And the organization seems like it would be surprised to see the Bucks let Redd go free, despite their objections to paying more lux tax. (Dallas believes $4 million is a “fair price’’ for Redd, a source says.) We’re told the Bucks might be near $56 million, well over the cap, and that the personnel department in Milwaukee and the ownership in Milwaukee might not see eye-to-eye on this one.
The Nelsons and owner Mark Cuban met late Tuesday and determined to pass on the keep-‘em-both scenario. Donnie Nelson had pledged that Wang will either not be lost at all or will not be lost without compensation, but that was pre-Redd. Now, maybe we could argue that Wang won't be lost without compensation -- because Redd would, kinda, be that compensation. The Wang deal, by the way, is worth $2 million a year, in which case matching would seem to be an easy call. Except. …
The debate continues because of Wang’s tenuous situation with his native China. It is not unfair to look at Wang’s time in Dallas as a grand experiment that didn’t quite work, with the headaches not outweighing the benefits. Going into Tuesday’s braintrust session, ask five different Mavs execs that question and expect five different answers.
One more note about both these situations: Technically, teams cannot sign-and-trade a player who has signed an offer sheet. What can happen: The three parties agree to withdraw the offer sheet, and negotiate a trade from there. Problem is, one Mavs staffer says he can’t recall such a deal ever happening.
The best guesses? Wang gets matched, eventually, because Redd gets matched in Milwaukee. And Dallas reaps the benefit of both transactions because, as with the failed Rashard Lewis chase, the groundwork is being laid for the Mavs as a must-see stop for free agents.
The Mavs will let the Redd deal play itself out before rushing into the formalization of a Wang decision. The Bucks are flip-flopping on their thoughts regarding blowing past the lux tax, and are saying they will take their time to examine options in the Redd case.
In both situations, the original team has 15 days to match and retain. LA might view Wang as a solution to their loss next season of short-term center Michael Olowokandi. Dallas could find itself a bit overloaded at the 2-3 spot, but is there really a downside to trying to add a potential part-time starter who is a personality fit?

Old 10-03-2002, 09:58 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

I can't belive redd isnt winning. Wang has'nt shown any improvement yet and he's in this big mess with china. He also hurts our D. Redd had a breakout season last year and has stardom written all over him. We could move him to sf and he could start at a weak position for us. He has the size and plays good D. If we signed Redd Nobody would have a better starting lineup than this.

Nash
Finley
Redd
Dirk
LaFrentz
Old 10-03-2002, 11:30 PM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Retaining both would help mark a highly successful offseason...
Old 10-04-2002, 11:47 AM   #6
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

a) I never believe anything Nellie or Cuban say when it comes to potential trades, negotiations, drafts, etc.

Therefore, I refuse to vote because I want both.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 12:07 PM   #7
smallballer

smallballer is on a distinguished road

i vote both, although i know nellie said that's not an option. i do think they are looking to rid themselves of the politics of the wang.
smallballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 12:24 PM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I can't vote either way. Not enough information.
Here's what little I know:

1) Does Wang have the inside game that he claims Nelson won't let him show?
(probably has more than Nelson will let him excercise, but right now, we just don't know the extent of it)

2) Does Wang's 15 pounds of new mass + great dedication + more playing time = better production?
(Go ask your own magic 8 ball. My own says, 'Could be. Could be not. Who's to say?'.)

3) If we kept Wang, would Nelson play him?
(my guess: not more than in the past)

4) Does Redd's, what, half a season of greatness make him worth 9 mil and the dumping of the Wang project?
(don't know Redd's defense, but wang might end up scoring as much as Redd)

Personally, I'd like to see Wang stay and develop here. But I'd also like to have 9 mil dollars to spend on either Redd or a couple of sailboats. Of the 4 questions, the one I'm most sure about is #3. I'd rather see Wang fly or flop with more minutes on the Clippers than complain about minutes here.

So I vote Redd.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:18 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< I can't vote either way. Not enough information.
Here's what little I know:

1) Does Wang have the inside game that he claims Nelson won't let him show?
(probably has more than Nelson will let him excercise, but right now, we just don't know the extent of it)

2) Does Wang's 15 pounds of new mass + great dedication + more playing time = better production?
(Go ask your own magic 8 ball. My own says, 'Could be. Could be not. Who's to say?'.)

3) If we kept Wang, would Nelson play him?
(my guess: not more than in the past)

4) Does Redd's, what, half a season of greatness make him worth 9 mil and the dumping of the Wang project?
(don't know Redd's defense, but wang might end up scoring as much as Redd)

Personally, I'd like to see Wang stay and develop here. But I'd also like to have 9 mil dollars to spend on either Redd or a couple of sailboats. Of the 4 questions, the one I'm most sure about is #3. I'd rather see Wang fly or flop with more minutes on the Clippers than complain about minutes here.

So I vote Redd.
>>

Staying here and developing Wang is whats gonna cost us from winning a championship. I want both to be here but I want Wang to get some of the minutes he got last season or do like the Kings treat Gerald Wallace until he shows somethin more.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 03:25 PM   #10
slowmo

slowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really niceslowmo is just really nice

I was also one to really buy into the Wang hype. Double Nellie's put on a great show when they were trying so hard to get Wang into a Mav's uniform. According to them, he was the next Dirk. Just needs some playing time in the NBA. Then the two year wait. We finally got him and now they want to drop him for Redd. Man, how things change. I just wish the double nellies just gave him a fair chance. 15-20 min. a game for 10-15 games would have been a good test. He only got to play garbage minutes or spare minutes. Too bad we may only get to see what he was really about when we play the Clippers!
Old 10-04-2002, 09:58 PM   #11
pepperfletch

pepperfletch is on a distinguished road

Slowmo, you are on track. I think Wang needs to be played heavy in the start of the season so everyone can see what he can do... I fear he ends up in Donn 2002 Doghouse replacing Bradley if he does come back...You know he deserves better...
pepperfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 10:45 PM   #12
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

now you can vote for both[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2002, 12:21 PM   #13
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< Slowmo, you are on track. I think Wang needs to be played heavy in the start of the season so everyone can see what he can do... I fear he ends up in Donn 2002 Doghouse replacing Bradley if he does come back...You know he deserves better... >>

Thats all good but Mavs as of right now arent in the rebuilding process. Mavs have the chacne just like any other teams in the West to contend in the Finals well atleast the West conference Finals. When ur in that situation u dont go and play guys like Wang in 20 minutes when u know he has lil NBA experience and then somehow take him out of the rotation when the Playofs come. Then the whole team gets confused. Reason why Wang couldnt get more minutes was because he didnt show anything but flashes. He made some 3's at times but gave up points at critical times when he was in the game.

1996-2005
Old 10-05-2002, 01:53 PM   #14
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Thats all good but Mavs as of right now arent in the rebuilding process. Mavs have the chacne just like any other teams in the West to contend in the Finals well atleast the West conference Finals. When ur in that situation u dont go and play guys like Wang in 20 minutes when u know he has lil NBA experience and then somehow take him out of the rotation when the Playofs come. Then the whole team gets confused. Reason why Wang couldnt get more minutes was because he didnt show anything but flashes. He made some 3's at times but gave up points at critical times when he was in the game. >>

This is not a valid argument. Teams use the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. If Wang was to get playing time in the regular season and was a rotation player, they wouldn't suddenly quit using him in the playoffs. Wang got little time in the playoffs last year because he didn't get to establish his role in the regular season. If the Mavs are counting on Bradley and only have Esch to backup Bradley WHEN he fails, heaven help the Mavs. Raef is going to have foul problems and someone is going to have to come in.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 05:57 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

<<

<< Thats all good but Mavs as of right now arent in the rebuilding process. Mavs have the chacne just like any other teams in the West to contend in the Finals well atleast the West conference Finals. When ur in that situation u dont go and play guys like Wang in 20 minutes when u know he has lil NBA experience and then somehow take him out of the rotation when the Playofs come. Then the whole team gets confused. Reason why Wang couldnt get more minutes was because he didnt show anything but flashes. He made some 3's at times but gave up points at critical times when he was in the game. >>

This is not a valid argument. Teams use the regular season to get ready for the playoffs. If Wang was to get playing time in the regular season and was a rotation player, they wouldn't suddenly quit using him in the playoffs. Wang got little time in the playoffs last year because he didn't get to establish his role in the regular season. If the Mavs are counting on Bradley and only have Esch to backup Bradley WHEN he fails, heaven help the Mavs. Raef is going to have foul problems and someone is going to have to come in.
>>

What do u mean this isnt a valid argument just because u dont agree with it? I agree in a sense that teams do use the regular season to get ready for the playoffs but no one is even sure Mavs will get there. Im not saying giving Wang minutes isnt gonna get us in the playoffs but not heavy minutes. Start off given him his 10-15 minutes and if he shows u somethin increase his minutes. Thats exactly what Don did last year but he showed nothin on the defensive side. He does look like he could be turned into a better reboudner.

1996-2005
Old 10-06-2002, 12:31 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Noone should be stunned, shocked etc if they end up with both.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:42 AM   #17
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

im sorry but thats an easy one,though they call want a center,he only get some action when they need a three,he has no force whatsoever,so its a battle from a SF(wang)to a SG(redd).
redd is much much more productive,he shoots a better three,moves much faster and quicker and can snatch some balls of the dribble of the opponent,he also could be a good backup for michael,their talking so long about reducing his minutes,maybe now we could aford it.
i remember last game we had against the bucks,redd exploded,knocking down 8 tripples or so(something like that).
redd,all the way redd,we can never have too much backup for our guards.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:44 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Poll: Poll: Who would you rather have Wang or Redd?

interesting poll question
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 08:55 AM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this and a huge question mark formed over my head. It was a bad question then, but it's even worse now. I guess there is a lesson to be learned: be careful what you post, you never know when somebody will bump it.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:12 AM   #20
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Wow!

Anyone who said Wang should be banned

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 09:21 AM   #21
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Wang will show his true greatness this year.

Without those other couple of space-wasters in his way, Wang will get significant minutes in the paint, and will show you all that he is the consistent 20-20 guy we all hoped he would have the chance to become here. Plus, he will help to sell t-shirts.

You will all be SHOCKED!
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 10:51 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Oh my.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:40 PM   #23
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Wang is horrible, and Redd is a great shooter and would be a good 6th man, I say we go for it.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote