Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #41
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

shhhh
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #42
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by MavsX; 01-09-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #43
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxsuns
No, I'm saying that Nash is great, but that he doesn't make any of our players. They developed their own skills before Nash got here and should be given credit for being the good players they are. Likewise, none of them made Nash the player that he is.

I love Nash, but Nash gets far too much credit in the national media. Quite frankly its an insult to any player on our team to say stupid things like 'he's nothing without Nash'. And I would imagine that a lot of our players get ticked off reading and hearing things like that.

Players can play, no matter who the PG is. If you're good, you're good.

I'd say only about 4-6 of Amare's points come off the pick and roll. It use to be much higher. But other teams are packing the paint now and forcing Nash to run around a little more and pass it to our wingman. Plus, our coach wants the offense to be spread out more amongst our players for some silly reason. Thus he doesn't call for the pick and roll as much anymore.

Amare is not just a pick and roll player. The Amare Dallas remembers was an Amare who ran that pick and roll to death, then killed anyone who tried to stop him when he got within 5 feet of the rim. That Amare was an athletic phenom who was more physical than mental, but depite his rawness was just so overpowering physically that it didn't matter. He saught to not just score on you, but humiliate and intimidate you. He'd laugh at you when he clowned you, he'd give you long stares to embarass you. In a lot of ways, clowing you was more important than scoring on you. So he'd always go for the spectacular play first, instead of the most effective play.

Amare today is a world class, polished, all Nba basketball player. Possessing a kiler jumper extending to the 3 point line, post moves such as the jump hook/ up and under/spin, not just a player who can only dunk on you.. but now he has combined his dunking ability with the best finese game of any center in the NBA. He no longer cares about embarassing you, he just wants to score on you anyway he can. He no longer gives immature stares after he clowns someone, he just turns and goes the other way. Piss him off though and he'll start clowning you.

He's averaging a career high in FG percentage, blocks, 3 pt percentage, and FT%. Is averaging a career low in turnovers, and is the 3rd most efficient player in the entire NBA. I said player, not just center.

This is a guy that just came off a scope a 2 months ago. Kobe got a scope before training camp last season and it took him a full 2 months before he started beasting like usual. So that means that all of Amare's numbers are set to rise from here on out.

Insult Amare all you want, but this is the same player who not only can tear apart the league in the regular season, but he has another gear for the playoffs. Amare's playoff numbers puts KG or any other big you can think of in this generation's NBA to shame. I would venture to say that only Shaq's career playoff numbers are better.
BLACK JESUS!!!!!

AMEN
Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxsuns
I'd say only about 4-6 of Amare's points come off the pick and roll. It use to be much higher. But other teams are packing the paint now and forcing Nash to run around a little more and pass it to our wingman. Plus, our coach wants the offense to be spread out more amongst our players for some silly reason. Thus he doesn't call for the pick and roll as much anymore.

Amare is not just a pick and roll player. The Amare Dallas remembers was an Amare who ran that pick and roll to death, then killed anyone who tried to stop him when he got within 5 feet of the rim. That Amare was an athletic phenom who was more physical than mental, but depite his rawness was just so overpowering physically that it didn't matter. He saught to not just score on you, but humiliate and intimidate you. He'd laugh at you when he clowned you, he'd give you long stares to embarass you. In a lot of ways, clowing you was more important than scoring on you. So he'd always go for the spectacular play first, instead of the most effective play..
Ah come on...go check this site for his shotchart.
http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

He's taken 435 fga's, 256 were within 3 feet of the basket.

Marions about the same 437 shots, 244 within 3 feet.

Nash serves 'em up sweetly.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #45
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely agree with Dirno here. Nash benefites from Marion and Amare just as much as they benefit from him.

Five years from now, if the Suns don't win a title, and Nash is gone, I guarantee you people will wonder what could have been if they never signed Nash, if they got a solid center, played Amare at the 4 and Marion at the 3, and played some defense. And it will be a legitimate question.

Nash did not turn average players into great players when he got to Phoenix.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 AM   #46
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

yea little stevie sucks. That's why at the middle of the fourth, the suns have 13 total assists, which is what, 1 more than stevie averages.

Oh...and they are getting whupped by 25+.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #47
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Without Nash, the guy still dropped 21 points and 14 rebounds on Okur/Boozer in three quarters. Not bad if you ask me.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #48
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Definitely agree with Dirno here. Nash benefites from Marion and Amare just as much as they benefit from him.

Five years from now, if the Suns don't win a title, and Nash is gone, I guarantee you people will wonder what could have been if they never signed Nash, if they got a solid center, played Amare at the 4 and Marion at the 3, and played some defense. And it will be a legitimate question.

Nash did not turn average players into great players when he got to Phoenix.
Do you honestly believe that? Do you really believe that a "solid center" would have done more for them than Nash did? If so, who do you suggest they should have got? Dampier? Who else was available at the time? Or, should they have waited until one became available?

I'm pretty sure that Phoenix is happy with the way things have gone down, title in five years or not.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #49
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Do you honestly believe that? Do you really believe that a "solid center" would have done more for them than Nash did? If so, who do you suggest they should have got? Dampier? Who else was available at the time? Or, should they have waited until one became available?

I'm pretty sure that Phoenix is happy with the way things have gone down, title in five years or not.
All I said is it would be a valid "what if". I'm not saying a solid center at the expense of any kind of upgrade at PG. What if they had saved money on Nash and actually kept their draft picks? Who knows what they could have found.

I'm simply saying that Nash is very much required to win with the kind of style they are playing currently. And certainly they're pretty happy with these right now. But I still think you can legitimately wonder if they wouldn't have been able to win and be better suited for the playoffs by going in a different direction.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 01-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #50
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
yea little stevie sucks. That's why at the middle of the fourth, the suns have 13 total assists, which is what, 1 more than stevie averages.

Oh...and they are getting whupped by 25+.
They have 13 assists because Marcus Banks is their back up point guard. As fars as losing big, they were missing Marion and Hill in addition to Nash and playing on the second night of a back to back when they had to overcome a 16 point deficit on the first night.

And to be clear, nobody is saying that Nash sucks. He's clearly been the best PG in the league over the past three years. I'm just saying that he benefits from his teammates as much as they benefit from him. Again, he didn't suddenly become a better passer when he went to PHX but his assist totals shot through the roof.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #51
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
And to be clear, nobody is saying that Nash sucks. He's clearly been the best PG in the league over the past three years. I'm just saying that he benefits from his teammates as much as they benefit from him. Again, he didn't suddenly become a better passer when he went to PHX but his assist totals shot through the roof.
Fair point.

And maybe also they all benefit from playing in a 'system' that maximizes their abilities to score while not asking them to put out the nightly effort defensively.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #52
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack.Kerr
Fair point.

And maybe also they all benefit from playing in a 'system' that maximizes their abilities to score while not asking them to put out the nightly effort defensively.
It's Nash. I refuse to praise Phoenix's tri-nomen coach.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #53
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
BLACK JESUS!!!!!

<Bazillion Amares>

AMEN
I was quickly scrolling through this thread, and this post scared the crap out of me.

Rep owed. =)

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 01-11-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #54
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
It's Nash. I refuse to praise Phoenix's tri-nomen coach.
That wasn't praise. Least of all for Dan & Tony.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #55
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW
I was quickly scrolling through this thread, and this post scared the crap out of me.

Rep owed. =)
thanks dude.

yeah this thread is not low bandwidth friendly. Sorry to those on dial up. That being said, if you are still on dial up...you've got bigger problems....

Last edited by MavsX; 01-11-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #56
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
They have 13 assists because Marcus Banks is their back up point guard. As fars as losing big, they were missing Marion and Hill in addition to Nash and playing on the second night of a back to back when they had to overcome a 16 point deficit on the first night.

And not many people mention this, but the Suns record hasn't been great either when Marion was out the last couple of years. Of course, it's a small sample size of games when Marion is out, but they are roughly a .500 ball club when he is out.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 01-11-2008 at 02:56 PM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #57
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Could you imagine Dirk being a no show to practice? I love this team.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #58
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
And not many people mention this, but the Suns record hasn't been great either when Marion was out the last couple of years. Of course, it's a small sample size of games when Marion is out, but they are roughly a .500 ball club when he is out.
Dirno's stated several times on this board that Marion every bit as necessary to their overall system as Nash is, because very few 3's could play the 4 position like he does most of the time and still help out so much on the boards, alont with other areas.

It's a very valid point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-11-2008, 05:10 PM   #59
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
Could you imagine Dirk being a no show to practice? I love this team.
Very good point.
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #60
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
did any of you see the suns/nuggets game? the suns scored 46 in the 1st quarter!!!
ya, thats crazy!! r u a suns fan?
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #61
RingTheBell

RingTheBell will become famous soon enoughRingTheBell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703
You need a few more image sigs.
RingTheBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #62
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Still missing 8 more members from the active roster, right?

Is this ghost ball??
Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #63
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703

Yeah, i'm a huge suns fan. (sarcasm) Get the Hell outta here.