Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #201
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed in the way it unfolded. I love the back story, I love putting it all together...I'm just not sure I wanted to hear it from Anders on his brain-death bed.

Ellen was great...those Cylons have some real issues...she slept with her son who was designed to look like her Dad..gross!

The backstory really supported the idea the all humans were Cylons to begin with. Good call Flaco.

So....Kara is a cylon baby??? That's the guess I'm reading on TWOP. Its a better explanation than time travel.

P.S. Cavil has been underutilized. His rant about his "human" limitations was probably my favorite part of the episode.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-15-2009 at 12:53 AM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #202
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The Cavil character and the actor playing him are pure greatness.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #203
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
The Cavil character and the actor playing him are pure greatness.
That would be Dean Stockwell. I'll always remember him for his small but genius part in Blue Velvet.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 02-16-2009 at 04:59 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:57 PM   #204
TrippleT123

TrippleT123 is on a distinguished road

best drama on tv
TrippleT123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #205
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So the final five era Cylons on Earth thousands of years ago...which humans built the Centurions from which they were designed?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #206
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Must read:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....il-boomer.html

Clears a couple of things up...kind of.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #207
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that episode sucked. Really, I can't believe they're wasting the final episodes this way. I don't care about this soap opera with Tigh and Ellen. And seriously, can someone explain to me why Tigh and Caprica "love" each other. I don't buy it. IMO the show's been downhill since they revealed who the final five (or rather, four) were.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 02-21-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #208
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well...I thought last weeks episode was greatness. This week was pretty weak.

I am most concerned that there are only 4 episodes remaining and we don't have much of a plot.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-20-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #209
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I am fearing an Alias type ending.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #210
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

It looks promising that they might shed light on the mystery that surrounds Starbuck tonight...

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=1030602

Think Boomer is toast? I mean I know she is a toaster, but will they kill her?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #211
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no he didn't!

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #212
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Man I love Chief but he is a big ol' doofus.

It appears that they are moving towards ending Galactica's run by having her fall apart. That poor ship should have been in dry dock when this whole thing began. If they really do that, it's going to be a sad day. I figured the Cylon technology goop would fix things, but that wouldn't be right either.

And on Kara.... so is she Daniel? That doesn't make sense. Maybe Daniel is her father?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #213
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

That was pretty strong. I wasn't sure about it at the 20 minute mark, but it got stronger.

So Cavil...and Boomer played them all. It was all a play for Hera? Wow.

(A side note...I would have liked to find out how exactly Boomer and Ellen found the fleet in the first place, but I digress...)

Yeah that sucks about Galactica, but it's a good plot device that puts pressure on the story to uhh...well, go wherever they're going with it.

As contrived and over-used as it was...I LOVED the scene where Tigh realized what song she was playing. I like it when stuff sort of all comes together like that. It underlines the Kara = some kind of Cylon connection.

Kara could be...the daughter of this "daniel"...sure. I read a long theory about why Adama's other son "Zach" was daniel or daniel related.

The only thing that bothers me about this whole thing is Roslin's shared visions and her weird Hera-radar. It either underlines a connection from Roslin to the Cylons, or plays into my crazy theory that they're ALL Cylons.

Helo cheated on his wife...with no guilty conscience at the time. Interesting.

I like it.

1 more regular episode, and then we get the first part of the series finale, and then the two hour series finale. Technically 3 episodes, 4 hours.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #214
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Here is what my wife and I have worked out:

We believe Daniel is Starbucks father. Here is why: (The following is theory created by Mr. and Mrs. Sarajevo. If any of it turns out true I promise we didn't know).

SHE is the original half human, half cylon baby. Leoben knew this obviously (well he knew she was different and made illusions to that fact). And if you think back her own mother told her she was "special". Of course her mother wouldn't tell her she was half cylon because she would have reported herself and probably been airlocked or something. I'm not sure if Anders is going to know this. I think what he will be able to tell them once fixed is the way to the real Earth. Did we get a sense of that when she first took control of the cylon raider? She seemed to be the only one that could figure out the controls.... don't know if that was foreshadowing or not.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #215
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

the guy on the piano is Kara's father. he disappeared into thin air as soon as tigh/bitchy cylon lady showed up (IE: a figment of Kara's imagination). was his name daniel?

side note: watching any of the last 10 minutes muted and listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKU_98Bq6DM is really eerie.

Last edited by Ninkobei; 03-01-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Ninkobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #216
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

They didn't say his name. Only hinting it was her father. Him being Daniel is a theory of mine.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:49 AM   #217
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't the name of her father..."Dreilide Thrace?" Since that was the name on that tape that Helo, Athena & Hera had?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #218
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

One thing we haven't talked about....how is the decay of Galactica going to shape the last 3 episodes? Is this series going to end with the destruction of the ship? Will they find some place to settle soon? They don't appear to be focusing on that plot line much now, but with all of this "the ship is dying" crap that's going on, I can't help but wonder where they're going with that.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #219
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I really think that is going to be the end of the series... the destruction of the ship we all love (and grew up with). Maybe not. But making it part Cylon is not a good idea in my opinion.

And I think nike's right.... maybe Kara's father isn't Daniel.

I was pretty convinced about my theory for a couple of days though.

Is it Friday yet?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #220
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Grew up with!?

Man, you're old!

I've already seen the ship I grew up with (NCC-1701, 1701-A, 1701-D) blown up so many times, it doesn't phase me. Still, I hope that doesn't happen at the end of this one. Unfortunately the only possibilities seem like: Make it Cylon-ish, or it's going to crap out.

Maybe they'll find some place, and they can turn the ship into a museum like they wanted to when this mess started.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #221
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I grew up with those ships as well. Add to that the Millennium Falcon.

I seriously think, though, that they haven't really found Earth yet. They never showed the nuked Earth from above where us Earthlings could identify it.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #222
mary
Troll Hunter

So....Galactica is the dying leader??

Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #223
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I am not pleased with my inability to re-watch the newest episode online.

Apparently, it won't be available until 8 days after it airs.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #224
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Anders as hybrid was not fun to me.

So we have confirmed proof by science Starbuck died. Man, Baltar cracks me up. I wish he and C6 could work out their differences.

So she is dying. And Adama is letting her go. Sad. I had a feeling it was coming though.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #225
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Alright.

Well.

Ok.

Again...that was just so....dark. A lot of stuff happened this week. I've decided that I really hope Boomer dies. What a bitch. I know she realizes what she's done is bad, and maybe she'll be instrumental in bringing down Cavil or something but still. I hope she dies.

Also Baltar. Die Baltar, Die. I loved that Kara went to slap him. She gave him the dog tags to help her, not help pedal his crap to the masses. What a dick.

Poor Galactica. Poor Bill. What a tough time that guy is having. The sound effects in EVERY scene really took center stage this week. They really wanted to make sure that you GET IT. THE SHIP IS DYING! Yeah we got it. Very sad. That last scene with Tigh and him sitting there really got me.

Here we are, technically starting the finale next week and I still don't know where we're going. I guess they're going to try and get Hera back...I wonder if the resolution lies in destroying Cavil and making peace with whoever remains. They've already got a nice peace going with the rest of them.

I'm starting to doubt that we're going to get a satisfactory explanation about Starbuck.

I was glad to hear the "You are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace" like again. I always wanted to get some kind of fruition with that. Or did she lead them all to their doom on earth, because that's what will happen eventually? I don't get it.

Nothing left to do now but buckle the sphincter's and wait for the final, final episodes.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 03-08-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #226
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Tonight, the Mavericks game doesn't start until 10:01 at my house.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #227
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I think I want a clear path to the end of this thing..... but then it wouldn't be Battlestar. There seems like so much to answer before it can end. But they are good at revealing alot in a little time.

I can't wait. I also can't wait to watch Nelson lose at the hands of his former team. So it's a win-win for me.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #228
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I am so totally at a loss to even predict or guess at what the last 3 hours hold.

Obviously there's the ship to deal with, but what is the end game? I hope they set it all up tonight and end on something juicy to chew on for a week.

I think they will try to get Hera back. How that fits into an ending, I have no idea.

I do think that there will be death and dying. I think they're ending this thing for good. A hard ending usually brings about some major deaths in things like this.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #229
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

So I guess they wanted to use this episode to show some bits of the lives pre-war? Then of course setup the end game. I can't believe it's going to be to retrieve Hera. And obviously I don't know the whole story, but that seems kind of empty (yet honorable).
Old 03-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #230
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

They've certainly chosen to really try to make the end of the series character driven, which I respect. But at some point I need to know that the plot of this thing is going to get settled, and I don't think it will at this point, honestly.

It's hard to look at that episode last night and say anything...it is quite clearly hour 1 of a 3 hour finale. I can't judge it yet.

It's weird that they've decided to start a LOST-esque story telling style right now. The mysterious meeting of Adama/Kara and Hybrid-Sam must have produced some kind of really good reason to go on a suicide mission. Why keep us out of the loop now? The plot advanced without the audience knowing, presumably so that they can go back a little later and fill us in.

So the dots she's drawing...maybe they...point the way to a nice place to live?

Are they going to settle down?

Will Cavil be destroyed?

Will the Cylons be destroyed? or will the war go on? Or will peace be had by all?

I am fearing some sort of abstract, "you make up your own ending" BS at this point. 84 minutes of show doesn't seem enough to satiate me. I want plot advancement, not lamenting the ship and exposition on characters feelings.

I thought this show was about humans trying to defeat the Cylons and find a new place to live? At some point the greatest of stories boil down to a simple objective. Throw ring in fire. Kill Voldemort. Destroy the sith/empire.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 03-14-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #231
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Oh no....

Look at this blog entry from Ron Moore, executive producer....

http://blogs.scifi.com/battlestar/archives/2007/06/

Quote:
(On the Sopranos ending...)

Oh, I'm sure there are those who will bemoan the lack of resolution to the story or that Chase has somehow "robbed the fans" but I'm a fan and I'm ecstatic. I'm glad he thumbed his nose at the tyranny of the narrative drive to bring things to a tidy conclusion so we can all clap and walk away without another thought about that mob family in Jersey, satisfied that all's well that ends well. Screw that. I don't want to see Tony's death, nor do I want to watch him drive off into witness protection, or sit down to some kind of illusory happiness in the bosom of his family. I simply want to pretend that his life continues, that he's still simultaneously worrying about onion rings and whether that guy is hiding a gun in the restroom.

It's poetic. It's exciting. It's perfect.

And most of all, I wish I'd thought of it first.
Tyranny of narrative drive?

That explains the wandering, meandering last 10 episodes, completely devoid of narrative drive.

I fear for Friday now.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #232
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Personally, I loved the Sopranos ending.

But that was the Sopranos. The jury is still out on this one.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #233
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I've never seen an episode of the Sopranos in my life, but I know how people generally feel about the ending. I don't know anything about that show.

What I do know, is I consider there to be a couple of central conflicts in this show I'd like to see resolved. The show has of course evolved as such that we're not going to see the end of the Cylons. We know that.

So the only resolvable conflict left is "finding a home". I'd like to see some resolution there.

The more I read about this guy, the more I think he's going to throw us a curve ball out of left field. They'll probably all end up in that big black hole thing and they'll end up like Kara or something. Or all of humanity will be destroyed. Or they'll all be Cylons.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM   #234
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Did anyone watch "The Last Frakking Special" last night?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #235
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Did anyone watch "The Last Frakking Special" last night?
I opted for the second episode of Castle. But was going to watch it tonight.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #236
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Dammit, I forgot about Castle again. How was that?

I DVR'd the BSG special. I'll find time for it sometime this week.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #237
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Castle was good. They replayed the season premier on Saturday night, so don't know if they are doing that again for this episode, but check it out.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #238
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

In less than 24 hours...I "will know the truth"

Don't let me down, BSG.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #239
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Although I started watching BSG late...I feel like this is an end of an era...

q=(
Old 03-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #240
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm reading some of these "Non-review-reviews" out there on the internet, where writers who have seen the finale give it a review without spoiling anything, and the results are very, very mixed.

I read one that said it was perfect, and I read one that said it was a ridiculously terrible way to send off such a fine show. A couple others were more down the middle.

I'm sure there are going to be some real WTF moments tonight, but I'm planning on loving it no matter what happens.

Tags
excellent television, your mom is a cylon