Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The ESPN Draft Special in minutes after the Cubs/Cards game

stay tuned for more.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: The ESPN Draft Special in minutes after the Cubs/Cards game

i really hope they know some additional info. and i hope Stephen A. Smith isn't the one i have to here say it.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:26 PM   #3
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

shit, the dreaded triple post...

but really, i don't want to listen to Smith
Old 06-23-2004, 09:37 PM   #4
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Aldridge is making it sound as if Stackhouse and the #5 would be traded seperately.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Wizards made the trade to rid contracts and get a veteran...didn't want to get younger.

Beginning of a scenario that gets us Shaq without giving up Dirk...

All per David Aldridge.

Steven A. Smith - Has to include Dirk...Nash has one year left...moron

Jim Gray - Complicated, could take a month to pull off trade. Might just bring back Shaq. Shaq doesn't want to go to the midwest. Going to take a long time...(I don't buy it for a SECOND)
Old 06-23-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Stephen A. Smith also said on ESPN Radio this morning that "Shaq could go to the Knicks for the MLE." Ummm.. Shaq's not a free agent you MORON!

Seriously, get this guy off my TV. So far this show has been an empty bag.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Stephen A. Smith also said on ESPN Radio this morning that "Shaq could go to the Knicks for the MLE." Ummm.. Shaq's not a free agent you MORON!

Seriously, get this guy off my TV. So far this show has been an empty bag.

Was he serious? I was watching the rangers game and did not follow this.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:11 PM   #8
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Might move Stackhouse to NY for Kurt Thomas according to DA...but we were content with having stackhouse on the roster.

Of course, DA also says that the Mavs haven't brought anyone in for workouts yet and we're scrambling to get the young studs in here for a thursday morning workout.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Stack for Thomsas is a sweet deal. But I don't know why would the Knicks want this. Stack is definitely not a PG. What are they going to do with Houston and Stack in the backcourt?
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Might move Stackhouse to NY for Kurt Thomas according to DA...but we were content with having stackhouse on the roster.

Of course, DA also says that the Mavs haven't brought anyone in for workouts yet and we're scrambling to get the young studs in here for a thursday morning workout.

1) DA is a moron
2) Stackhouse won't fetch crap
3) I've had the same feeling about scouting this year. Dallas has either been very secretive or very slow with that.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: DNNF
Stack for Thomsas is a sweet deal. But I don't know why would the Knicks want this. Stack is definitely not a PG. What are they going to do with Houston and Stack in the backcourt?
Old 06-23-2004, 10:56 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I thought Kurt was on that 4.5 mill contract he has? Wouldn't the Mavs have to take more then just Kurt? I'm starting to think the Mavs aren't even going to pursue a Shaq trade.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I thought Kurt was on that 4.5 mill contract he has? Wouldn't the Mavs have to take more then just Kurt? I'm starting to think the Mavs aren't even going to pursue a Shaq trade.
Nellie: "We are going to war with what we have. We are still looking to upgrade the center position but with the new defensive mentality and the deeper bench, I think our chances are good of making it far in the playoffs. Stack (house) is a very talented player that I've admired for years. He can backup players at the SG, SF and PF positions."

[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2004, 11:00 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:

1) DA is a moron
2) Stackhouse won't fetch crap
3) I've had the same feeling about scouting this year. Dallas has either been very secretive or very slow with that.

I'm listening to the radio and not everyone thinks Stackhouse is crap. Some are blaiming this season on him not wanting to play for the Wiz. I can't fault him for that but that's the difference between Jamison and Stack. Jamison may hate the Wiz but this guy is going to play his heart out every night.

1996-2005
Old 06-23-2004, 11:01 PM   #15
DNNF
Golden Member

Quote:

Yes, the Mavs have to take back another contract if Thomas for Stack deal is going down. Personally, I feel that Cuban and the Lakers have some secret agreement for Shaq before the Wiz Mavs trade.

Dirk and Walker and Stack for Shaq and Scrub

or

Nash, Walker, Howard and number 5 for Shaq and Scrub
Old 06-23-2004, 11:02 PM   #16
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Nellie: "We are going to war with what we have. We are still looking to upgrade the center position but with the new defensive mentality and the deeper bench, I think our chances are good of making it far in the playoffs. Stack (house) is a very talented player that I've admired for years. He can backup players at the SG, SF and PF positions."
I guess we plan on sitting Finley on the bench because Stack isn't backing anyone up and he sure as hell better not start over Josh.

1996-2005
Old 06-23-2004, 11:05 PM   #17
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, the Mavs have to take back another contract if Thomas for Stack deal is going down. Personally, I feel that Cuban and the Lakers have some secret agreement for Shaq before the Wiz Mavs trade.

or

I don't like either deals to be honest. I was for a Shaq for Dirk trade because at the end of the deal we still have Jamison, Nash, Finley and hopefully the rookies will return. Now that we've traded Jamison the trade including Dirk looks horrible now.

1996-2005
Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #18
DNNF
Golden Member

According to those espn analysts. There are only 3 teams that want to renew Shaq's big contract. Dallas, Portland and NY. So, I have a feeling that there will be a three way trade between Dallas, NY and LA

Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #19
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

since when did Stack and L8tner provide "a new defensive mentality"???? I hope we don't keep waitng for the other foot to fall like we did with Walker last year, Nellie's quotes scare me.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #20
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I'm not hoping for Stack to fail. Im just hoping he is part of a bigger deal. He very well could be a player like NVE who flourishes in the speed, attention and freedom of our winning MAvs squad.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
since when did Stack and L8tner provide "a new defensive mentality"???? I hope we don't keep waitng for the other foot to fall like we did with Walker last year, Nellie's quotes scare me.
I forgot to "moon" that one.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:12 PM   #22
DNNF
Golden Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

or

I don't like either deals to be honest. I was for a Shaq for Dirk trade because at the end of the deal we still have Jamison, Nash, Finley and hopefully the rookies will return. Now that we've traded Jamison the trade including Dirk looks horrible now.

I wouldn't have trade Jamison either since I love his offensive game. But as we all see this year, defense win champsion. We get rid of a defensive responsiblity in Jamison and his big contract for some bait to get a big man with both offensive and defensive skill. Cuban must have some tricks in his sleeve, either that or he just love to be in the spot light. This news seems to overshadow all of the draft discussion in the show.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:16 PM   #23
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

I'm betting something is going to happen that NO ONE even expected. We'll end up with Vince Carter and Elton Brand while only giving up Jamison and Walker :-)

But seriously, I just don't understand how all of this is going to fall into place.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:18 PM   #24
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

I think Cuban has something up his sleeve also. I wouldn't rule out the Mavs trading up to get Okafor. I think this whole Shaq to Dallas thing is a smokescreen because the Lakers want Dirk and the Mavs aren't giving up Dirk.

1996-2005
Old 06-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #25
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

I too have a weird feeling.
But I trust Cuban. Besides, when has he ever made a bad trade.

Ok, Besides that one time.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I'm not even sure they want Dirk. They want bangin' big men and a smart PG who still has something in his bag to surround Kobe.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:23 PM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

double to the fizzle
Old 06-23-2004, 11:26 PM   #28
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
That one wasnt ages ago. It was the last trade we did. He could be on a two crapper losing streak.

There's always the chance that Cuban was too busy sniffing at Donald Trump's ass to notice that Don Nelson is working at destroying the team to get four years paid vacation.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:29 PM   #29
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

i don't think the Walker trade was a bad one, wait till we see what we turn him into first anyways.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:31 PM   #30
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

And I, like Tom Tolbert, don't sacrifice the next 10 years of prosperity within my franchise for the possibility of a 'ship with Shaq. Let's not forget, Shaq and company just got POUNDED by Detroit. That was a team of stars. You take out Dirk and we're Shaq with a bunch of lesser-thans. No way we win a championship without Dirk. If we can't keep Dirk, say screw you to LA and tell them to 'f themselves. They AREN'T getting a better deal than what we're offering. I'd rather grab a Tyson Chandler or Al Harrington and put them with Dirk than trade him away.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:33 PM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

a team isnt one player and even that one player was limited by his team. That "one" player did dominate when he got the ball.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:37 PM   #32
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
And I, like Tom Tolbert, don't sacrifice the next 10 years of prosperity within my franchise for the possibility of a 'ship with Shaq. Let's not forget, Shaq and company just got POUNDED by Detroit. That was a team of stars. You take out Dirk and we're Shaq with a bunch of lesser-thans. No way we win a championship without Dirk. If we can't keep Dirk, say screw you to LA and tell them to 'f themselves. They AREN'T getting a better deal than what we're offering. I'd rather grab a Tyson Chandler or Al Harrington and put them with Dirk than trade him away.
Jamison, Finley and Nash would've been more than lesser thans IMO. If Shaq had that cast the Laker's would've been champs. None of these guys would've went 7/26 and deny Shaq the ball. The deal for Dirk is thrown out of the window now. You go from having Jamison, Finley and Nash to having just Finley and Nash here.

1996-2005
Old 06-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #33
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
a team isnt one player and even that one player was limited by his team. That "one" player did dominate when he got the ball.
Shaq stats were pretty good in that series but they could've been even better. Feed this guy when he is that dominant. I hope if he comes to the Mavs this isn't a problem.

1996-2005
Old 06-24-2004, 02:34 AM   #34
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Quote:
That one wasnt ages ago. It was the last trade we did. He could be on a two crapper losing streak.

There's always the chance that Cuban was too busy sniffing at Donald Trump's ass to notice that Don Nelson is working at destroying the team to get four years paid vacation.
Looking at this trade for straight value, we make out great. People were talking about trading AJ to Cleveland for the 10. Well, we got the 5, plus a good player/tradeable commodity is Stack and another tradeable commodity (expiring contract) with Laettner.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:43 AM   #35
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

a good player/tradeable commodity is Stack

we must be thinking of different guys Chaff....the guy i think of is an overpaid bag of crap who is all O, and is not a great teammate....introduce me to the Stack you know....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:47 AM   #36
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

The best thing said last night was from my dad's neighbor and current Clippers' coach Dunleavy with Jim Gray. I wish moron Junior Miller was listening. to paraphrase:

Quote:
The media thinks LA is going to get 100 cents on the dollar for Shaq or they will keep him. But right now Shaq is driving the bus. No one will trade for shaq unless they know they can keep him and that is a very limited number of teams. And contrary to what some think, they can't keep him. I am sure that the Lakers are asking for 100 cents on the dollar for Shaq, but they aren't going to get it. But will it be 80 cents? 75 cents? 70 cents? That remains to be seen.
This folks, is the essence of the deal. And everybody listening to Coop and D&M saying you have to give up both Dirk and Nash for Shaq need to write this on the blackboard 100 times.

And is there anything more intolerable than Stephen A. Smith? He says everything so definitively. "You have to ...."
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:24 PM   #37
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike

we must be thinking of different guys Chaff....the guy i think of is an overpaid bag of crap who is all O, and is not a great teammate....introduce me to the Stack you know....
I never said great. But a guy who can average 20 points per game is a good player and a tradeable commodity. His contract isn't as bloated as Jamison's either. Something like 7 mil? That's not horrendous.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:54 PM   #38
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike

I never said great. But a guy who can average 20 points per game is a good player and a tradeable commodity. His contract isn't as bloated as Jamison's either. Something like 7 mil? That's not horrendous.
You do know that Stackhouse set the record for the lowest field goal percentage for a guy averaging 20 points a game. It seems like if he does average 20 a game he is going to be forced to do so. I can't see a team wanting this guy as their center piece or expecting him to average 20 a game for them but his contract isn't bad at all.

1996-2005
Old 06-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #39
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Stack isn't as inefficient as his fg% would indicate because the guy is just a machine at getting to the free throw line and is a reasonably accurate when he gets there. In fact, his career true shooting percentage is actually higher than AJ's.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #40
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Stack isn't as inefficient as his fg% would indicate because the guy is just a machine at getting to the free throw line and is a reasonably accurate when he gets there. In fact, his career true shooting percentage is actually higher than AJ's.
What do you base this on? Stackhouse is a career 40% shooter. I know Jamison can't be that low. Only thing they both have in common is that they both got the same amount of minutes last year but one managed to shoot 39% from the field and the other shot 53% from the field. They don't compare at all.

1996-2005