Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-07-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Jermaine Oneal would change this club tremendously in one game he had a triple double with 10 block shots. He already said that if isiah leaves i don't want to play here. (paraphrased}

What would it take to bring him to dallas via the sign and trade?

I think the experiment with Jamal Tinsley is over for indiana. I am willing to give up nash- 8. Any one of those guys + Nash. This experiment is over shooting teams out of the building doesn't work.

Avgs of 20.8 points per game on 48 percent shooting, with 2.31 blocks per game,and 6.8 boards per game he could be the final piece to the puzzle.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2003, 11:47 AM   #2
VinceCarter

VinceCarter is on a distinguished road

<< Any one of those guys + Nash.
>>

You mean Bradley, LaFrentz, Eschmeyer, Bell, Williams, Griffin? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I don't think he will go to Dallas. He already said that Orlando and San Antonio are very interesting for him...
VinceCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

O'Neil is using his position as a free-agent to try to force Indiana to keep Thomas as coach - a man who gives him 25 shots a game. The problem is that he's got almost no leverage. There aren't many teams out there who have enough cap space to sign O'Neil, and the ones who do probably are looking elsewhere. Eventually, O'Neil will be back in Indiana because Indy's tcan guarantee him the most money and he can get enough shots there to make the NBA All-Star team year after year. The Pacers are in the drivers seat here, O'Neil is in no position to demand a sign and trade. My prediction? The Pacers will sign him to a max deal, and O'Neil will like it.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:55 AM   #4
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Is this news???

O'Neil's been unhappy this whole season. Artest running around like a madman didn't help the fight for Indiana either. Haven't we've been hearing this for months now???
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I would do a Raef/Nash/Najera for a sign and trade for Jermaine Oneal/Tinsley. Than I would sign Malone for the MLE and trade AJ for Fortson. I would hate to see Nash go, but I would hope Dirk would realize that this is a business move and not get too upset.

A lineup of:

PG: NVE, Tinsley
SG: Finley, Mladen
SF: Dirk, TAW
PF: Malone, Fortson
C: Oneal, Bradley

EDIT: Forgot to add, get the 7'4&quot; 300lb Pavel Podkolzin with our draft pick and let him sit overseas for 2 years. When Malone retires, you bring him here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:07 PM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Actually it is he recently said he wouldn't play in indiana for anybody else except sweetness. San Antonio can't offer anything comparable in salaries for a sign and trade.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

If this is legitimate you might have to take Croshere off of their hands.

Perhaps: Raef/Nash/Najera for O'Neal/Croshere

Might have to throw in a little filler on the Mavs side to make the salaries work.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I am a double post machine today.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:16 PM   #9
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Getting rid of Nash is a huge mistake unless you're willing to re-tool with alot more personnel. If you're going to give up Nash you need to get a PG who's pass first, other wise the Dallas non-half court offense will fall apart.

I doubt O'Neil is going anywhere let alone being traded for a non-franchise player. O'Neil likes the position he's in, he's not going to play second fiddle to Duncan let alone Dirk.

I got labeled as a troll for making my first post a &quot;Trade for Ben Wallace&quot; thread, but that's the type of player the Mavs need. A rebounding and defensive machine. There are not very many players like that in the league let alone available. The Mavs don't need to re-invent their offense or defense, just need to add someone to clean it up. Wallace, Brown and Mourning fit the bill and Malone, Forston or Howard would at least address the rebounding problem. Wallace is highly unlikely at this point unless you're willing to get them a marque player to help with thier offense. You also need some defensive help with your back court and at the 3, the Mavs have adequate players now but they just don't play them.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:21 PM   #10
grbh
Platinum Member

Unfortunately Wallace is sitting on a nice contract about 6MM per year I think. So again the only player the Mavs could dangle in fron of Detroit that they might think about is Nash.

Other combos:
Raef
Bradley/Najera

No way Detroit would have any interest at all.

You could dangle Finley, but Det wouldn't be interested in that either with Rip and Barry.

I truly think the Mavs could get the most value back from Nash. I love watching the guy play, but he is a bit injury prone, I think it is proven he wears down, and at 30 those issues are not going to get any better.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:51 PM   #11
Intruder

Intruder is on a distinguished road

<< Actually it is he recently said he wouldn't play in indiana for anybody else except sweetness. San Antonio can't offer anything comparable in salaries for a sign and trade. >>

The Spurs can sign him without a sign &amp; trade. They have the cap to offer him the max.

Intruder
Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:55 PM   #12
jayC
Diamond Member

Intruder duh anyone can but you have to have equal salries to make the deal work the mavs have that. The spurs parker on y makes 700,000 dollars their is just no way they could make a sign and trade work. The mavs could.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:56 PM   #13
ariosto

ariosto is on a distinguished road

As much as I'd miss Nash, I'd give him up for O'Neal or Wallace. I like GRBH's trades a lot. Those are the two names I mentioned when talking about what Nash could bring in. I thought Detroit was a lock to be eliminated when I brought up Wallace, however. Now I think Detroit will probably hold on to him.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #14
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Jay what he was saying was, the spurs don't HAVE TO DO A SIGN AND TRADE. They are under the cap enough that they can just offer Oneal a max contract. I would love to get Oneal here, but unfortunately if they did a sign and trade we would have to give up Finley and Nash as Oneal is that talented.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 05-07-2003, 01:01 PM   #15
grbh
Platinum Member

So do you pull the trigger on Fin/Nash for ONeal and Tinsley or Croshere.

I might.

Why the Mavs wouldn't
Obviously you are breaking up the core
Trading to proven all start

Why they would
The believe the can't win it all with the current group
Makes them a pretty young team with their best two players 24 and 25 and improving.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:03 PM   #16
Intruder

<< Intruder duh anyone can but you have to have equal salries to make the deal work the mavs have that. The spurs parker on y makes 700,000 dollars their is just no way they could make a sign and trade work. The mavs could. >>

DUH !!! The Spurs will be under the cap. Don't need a sign and trade.

Imagine

Parker
Jackson
Bowen
O'neal
Duncan

Now, Isn't that a bit scary?

Intruder
Old 05-07-2003, 01:07 PM   #17
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< So do you pull the trigger on Fin/Nash for ONeal and Tinsley or Croshere.

I might.

Why the Mavs wouldn't

Why they would
Makes them a pretty young team with their best two players 24 and 25 and improving.
>>

I would probably do it, even though I love Nash and Finley. Unfortunately if can get a young talented big man I think you have to try to get him. If we lost Finley, I would probably recommend that we don't go after Malone for the MLE but maybe Maggette. NVE, Maggette, Dirk, Oneal, and Bradley would be a pretty solid team and would be for years to come.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:08 PM   #18
jayC
Diamond Member

Sure but players love the moola and the only way for an athlete to get the full max is to sign with an original team or sign and trade. Oneal will no doubt want to be paid like a superstar.

If he signs with another team he want get the most money from san antonio he will get that from his team. That is all I am saying. Plus why would Indiana let him walk for nothing, with a sign and trade the team gets something instead of nothing and the player gets all the max money that he deserves. I believe that if he signs with the spurs he will miss out on like 13 million dollars he could have had signing with his original team.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:10 PM   #19
ariosto

<< So do you pull the trigger on Fin/Nash for ONeal and Tinsley or Croshere.

I might.

Why the Mavs wouldn't

Why they would
>>

I just might. You're dead on with the good and the bad of that trade. It would be hard to pass up a young front-court like Dirk/Jermaine.

But I wouldn't make it my first offer. If we were to go after O'Neal, I'd start by offering Nash/Raef. I wouldn't offer Fin as well except as a last resort.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:16 PM   #20
Intruder

Agree, but still imagine him playing next to Duncan, and Parker. It is a very legit possibility as he once said he would look and see what San Antonio had to offer [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Anyway, I think the best thing that could happen to the mavs is landing the mail-man. You don't loose any of the big three, and I believe that they are a player away from making a lot more noise than they are making right now.

Intruder
Old 05-07-2003, 01:42 PM   #21
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

O'neil is not the solution for Mavs right now. We need better perimeter defenders first and a better defensive orented coach.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #22
Intruder

<< O'neil is not the solution for Mavs right now. We need better perimeter defenders first and a better defensive orented coach. >>

Sorry, but I disagree. You need someone in the middle that is willing to put some harm into somebody. That way, your perimeter players can funnel people into them. This lets them be a bit more aggressive. Mavs are fine on the perimeter, its the inside that has been iffy at times.

Intruder
Old 05-07-2003, 01:49 PM   #23
ariosto

<< O'neil is not the solution for Mavs right now. We need better perimeter defenders first and a better defensive orented coach. >>

O'Neil isn't the answer. He's a whole new question.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:02 PM   #24
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

<<

Sorry, but I disagree. You need someone in the middle that is willing to put some harm into somebody. That way, your perimeter players can funnel people into them. This lets them be a bit more aggressive. Mavs are fine on the perimeter, its the inside that has been iffy at times.

Intruder
>>

If you are talking about defense then mavs have not been anywhere close to good on the perimeter. If the perimeter guys are good then how come all these guards penetrate inside so easily. Defense starts from the perimeter. Again do you want O'neil for defense or offense.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:10 PM   #25
Intruder

<< Again do you want O'neil for defense or offense. >>

Both. With O'neal you don't have to choose, you get both. And to respond to the penetration issue, if you had a legit inside presense, this is what you would want them to do. Force them to penetrate. Especially if they are a good shooting team.

Intruder
Old 05-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #26
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<<

Both. With O'neal you don't have to choose, you get both. And to respond to the penetration issue, if you had a legit inside presense, this is what you would want them to do. Force them to penetrate. Especially if they are a good shooting team.

Intruder
>>

You are also forgetting the fact that O'Neil is not a three point shooter and NELLIE'S offense will not keep the guy on the floor who doesn't shoot 3s. Thats NELLIE(STUPID) BALL.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:18 PM   #27
ariosto

<<

<<

Intruder
>>

You are also forgetting the fact that O'Neil is not a three point shooter and NELLIE'S offense will not keep the guy on the floor who doesn't shoot 3s. Thats NELLIE(STUPID) BALL.
>>

If Nellie wouldn't play Jermaine O'Neil because he couldn't hit the 3, he would be the dumbest coach in NBA history. I'm not a huge Nellie fan, but give him a little more credit than that. I believe he played Bob Lanier, who I doubt shot the 3 very often.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #28
Intruder

<<
If Nellie wouldn't play Jermaine O'Neil because he couldn't hit the 3, he would be the dumbest coach in NBA history. I'm not a huge Nellie fan, but give him a little more credit than that. I believe he played Bob Lanier, who I doubt shot the 3 very often.
>>

That is freaking hilarious...

Intruder
Old 05-07-2003, 02:25 PM   #29
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<<

<<

<<

Intruder
>>

>>

>>

Isn't that why we traded Howard for raef. Last time I remembered He wanted Raef so all the big men will have to come outside to guard him and it opens up inside lanes for other guys.

I am pretty sure they wanted Raef because he can block some shots but mainly he can hit 3s.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:31 PM   #30
ariosto

I'm not saying that Nellie didn't want 5 guys who could shoot the 3. He definitely did. It was his brilliant idea to counter Shaq, who would be rendered ineffective by having to guard a center out on the perimeter (and it worked brilliantly as we have been routing the Lakers ever since.)

What I am saying, is that if Nellie did have Jermaine O'Neil, one of the premier young post-players in the league, who can score, defend, and has a good mid-range shot, he would play him, even though he can't hit a three-pointer.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #31
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

<< I'm not saying that Nellie didn't want 5 guys who could shoot the 3. He definitely did. It was his brilliant idea to counter Shaq, who would be rendered ineffective by having to guard a center out on the perimeter (and it worked brilliantly as we have been routing the Lakers ever since.) >>

LOL! Very funny. That would explain why Duncan, Robinson and Willis were all jacking it up from behind the arc when the Spurs went 4-0 on the Lakers durring the regular season. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 02:40 PM   #32
101 6 7

101 6 7 will become famous soon enough101 6 7 will become famous soon enough

<< Actually it is he recently said he wouldn't play in indiana for anybody else except sweetness. San Antonio can't offer anything comparable in salaries for a sign and trade. >>

SA doesn't have to do a s&amp;t. They are under the cap &amp; can pay him equal $$$ to Indy (w/10% instead of 12.5% raises - no state income tax MORE than makes up for that). Fear San Antonio; they are going to get BETTER.

Also, why, exactly, would Indy. give up what JO for scrubs?? Why would JO come to Dallas as opposed to SA - who wouldn't have to lose any of their core??
101 6 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 02:42 PM   #33
Intruder

<< That would explain why Duncan, Robinson and Willis were all jacking it up from behind the arc when the Spurs went 4-0 on the Lakers durring the regular season. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] >>

You know, I think you are onto something. The reason the Spurs won game 1 was Willis making a three at the end of the first half... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Intruder
Old 05-07-2003, 03:51 PM   #34
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

<<

<< That would explain why Duncan, Robinson and Willis were all jacking it up from behind the arc when the Spurs went 4-0 on the Lakers durring the regular season. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] >>

You know, I think you are onto something. The reason the Spurs won game 1 was Willis making a three at the end of the first half... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Intruder
>>

Maybe Willis can play for Mavs. To be frank Willis would be a great addition with little money to come off the bench for Mavs.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:09 PM   #35
grbh
Platinum Member

I think that trade workd for the perimeter. The Mavs could then spend their exception on a defensive 2 who maybe can bury the 3. The team wouldn't need any more high scorers with NVE, O Neal, and Dirk.

Maybe pick up a 3 point specialist.

Old 05-07-2003, 07:24 PM   #36
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

Kevin Willis leads the league in three point percentage in the post season.

100 %.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:33 AM   #37
Tank

Tank is on a distinguished road

o'neal wont be going to san antonio for the pure fact that there going after jason kidd and said there very willing to offer him the max if kidd passes it up it would be the worst move of his career but it will take kidd some time to mull it over think o'neal will sit around and wait for kidd to make his desicion just to take a back seat to duncan? nope by the time kidd says yes or no to the spurs offer o'neal will be traded re signed or signed with someone else and if hes not ill be very shocked
Old 05-08-2003, 07:26 AM   #38
grbh
Platinum Member

I don't think they are going to even chase Kidd. I think 6 months ago erveryone thought they were, but with Parker becoming a very good point they would be better off with ONeal.

I would rather have:

Parker/Duncan/ONeal than Duncan/Kidd

Old 05-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #39
Tank

Tank is on a distinguished road

parker duncan and o'neil sounds good but look at it this way spurs allready have a all nba power forward and dont need another one and the amergance of manu could easily replace parkers 11 points 6 assists could move duncan to center but hes be out of position there and spells match up problems/more fouls for duncan against the bigger boys they like to keep rose on shaq garnet etc. to keep duncan out of foul trouble sure could still put rose on him but wait they have o'neal he'll want his 40 minutes a game rendering rose useless and o'neil in foul trouble

if i was the spurs id give kidd the max hope he accepts and go after olowokandi move manu into starting lineup

PG/Kidd PG/Parker
SG/Jackson SG/Jackson
SF/Manu SF/Manu
PF/Duncan PF/O'neil
C/Kandi C/Duncan

odviously oneil parker and duncan sounds better duncan will want his 25 points a game jermaine will want his 20 and with parker getting better hell want 15 or so a game what about all the other role players spurs have leaves alot of players with little minutes left could spell chemistry issues
Old 05-08-2003, 10:04 AM   #40
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

so Spurs would have (3) Point guards on their roster?

If they did get Kidd, I would trade Parker to the Clippers for a sign and trade for Odom.

PG: Kidd, Claxton
SG: Jackson, Manu
SF: Odom, Bowen
PF: Duncan, Rose
C: Kandi, Willis