Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-18-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

LaFrentz contributes, too, as Mavs' big men warm up for Spurs

05/18/2003

By JAN HUBBARD / The Dallas Morning News

Shawn Bradley found inspiration at a basketball camp Saturday morning, which had to be pleasing to Mavericks coach Don Nelson.

"I really needed him in Game 6," Nelson said, "and he didn't show up."

That was not, however, the reason Bradley went to camp. He was actually there with his sons, ages 8 and 7, and was fascinated by one of the drills.

"They practiced behind-the-back passes," Bradley said. "So I thought, 'If they can do it, so can I.' "

And he did. With 5:34 left in the first quarter of Game 7, Bradley fielded a bouncing ball, whipped it around his back to Dirk Nowitzki, who sank an open jump shot.

"Pretty nice, huh?" Bradley said after the Mavs won, 112-99.

It was one of several highlights for Bradley, who made the most of the 18 minutes he played. So did Raef LaFrentz, who played only 15 minutes because of foul trouble. Neither player was on the court during the fourth quarter, but the Mavericks were happy with their performance.

"They did their job," said Dallas assistant Del Harris. "I thought that each of them contributed."

Besides the Magic Johnson imitation, Bradley contributed seven rebounds and had a key tip-in late in the third quarter when the Kings had closed to within six. LaFrentz had only two points, but more important, blocked two shots.

"I thought Shawn did a good job of being ready to play and following the game plan," Nelson said. "When they put him in tough circumstances where he didn't have anybody to guard, we made a substitution and got him out of there."

In the next series against San Antonio, however, Bradley and LaFrentz are expected to play larger roles because of the Spurs' two 7-footers, Tim Duncan and David Robinson.

"In this series we tried to go small, and it worked," LaFrentz said. "But in the next series, I think it is going to be a lot different."

One thing the Mavericks' center tandem did accomplish was to help wear down 35-year-old Vlade Divac. It was clear Divac, who made only three of 12 from the field, was tired, as many of his shots hit the front of the rim. Part of it was playing against the Mavericks' smaller, quicker lineup. But part of it was the Dallas centers.

"It was a hard series for [Bradley], because he hasn't been known to deal with Vlade very well," Nelson said. "But I did think that when Vlade played more minutes, the fatigue factor would play in our favor. And that was, in fact, the case."

E-mail jhubbard@dallasnews.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Playoff time is the time for Bradley headlines. Read 'em and weep Keon!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< That was not, however, the reason Bradley went to camp. He was actually there with his sons, ages 8 and 7, and was fascinated by one of the drills. >>

Another Dumbass DMN reporter who obviously didn't do any homework. Bradley has 1 son and he's only a few months old. He was born around the start of the season. He does have a 4 daughters, 2 of which are around that age I believe. It's probably his daughters that they were referring to.

Still that was one hell of a pass by the Mantis. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]